Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 Bugala:  25 mins ago
 Hypex:  41 mins ago
 Birbo:  44 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 Dragster:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A-EON Announces New Batch Of Motherboards...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
mbrantley 
Re: A-EON Announces New Batch Of Motherboards...
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 15:32:01
#41 ]
Cult Member

@Darth_X

Having purchased AmigaOS hardware has definitely led me to spending money on AmigaOS software. And I'm not done with that yet.... must feed the Miggies. :)

If I had not purchased the hardware, the money not spent would not have gone into Amiga stuff. At least not my money.

Profile     Report this post  
Amiga_3k 
Re: A-EON Announces New Boards...
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 16:27:49
#42 ]
Cult Member

@thinkchip

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@scabit

The more X1000's that are sold, the closer Trevor gets to breaking even. Right? Wrong? Doesn't matter? Who Knows?

That would have been the truth if the components used follow the normal pricing path of becoming cheaper to buy over time. Unfortunately, the processor used seems to get more and more expensive over time. As stated by Trevor, he has chosen to not raise X1000's price but instead pays the extra cost all by him self.

Franko 
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 16:33:30
#43 ]
Elite Member

IMPORTANT NOTE...

Amigakit have asked me to change the link I provided in post Number 22 to the following one... (which I have done)...

www.amigakit.com/x1000

Seems the one I provided is according to Amigakit for customers whom are already "waiting on the order list and is by invitation only"....

Apologies for any confusion caused but if the original link I posted is only for "invitation only" then perhaps the "product link" I originally posted shouldn't be available to anyone and everyone whom looks a around the Amigakit site or at least have some sort of text / warning telling "uninvited" folk who do come across it that it is not available to them... just a thought...

vox 
Re: A-EON Announces New Batch Of X1000 Motherboards...
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 16:34:19
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
3) Thought it was the least I could do for you poor "NG" lovers for putting up with my ramblings for the rest of the time...

Thanks for doing something nice for NG lovers

For those that can afford / support it, that is great news.

And unique feature of X1000 (beside PA Semi and Xena) is that you also get RadeonHD driver
and AmigaOS 4.2 as soon as out, so users should have a lot of joy guaranteed

X1000 page is updated
Quote:
Ongoing delivery of the AmigaOne X1000 to customers is still progressing. All customers who have contacted us in the past are being contacted on a first-come, first-served basis as we progress through the list. Despite high and volatile CPU prices, A-EON has commissioned another limited batch of systems to fulfill the demand on our pre-order list. Thank you to all customers who have registered interest with us.
Information last updated on March 30 2013.

Last edited by vox on 30-Mar-2013 at 04:35 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 16:54:15
#45 ]
Elite Member

I glad I got mine when I did, I cant imagine if I had to still wait for an x1000, I think I would of lost interest and just got a Sam460, but as it happens I got one!
But good news to though people still waiting.

Last edited by amigang on 30-Mar-2013 at 04:54 PM.

mbrantley 
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 17:51:34
#46 ]
Cult Member

Thanks for the clarifications about availability. Thank you to A-Eon (and to Trevor most especially) for making some more of these for the folks who got themselves on the preorder list.

Hopefully, there'll be a new A-Eon machine down the road a way that will be attractive to those who will be unable to obtain an X1000. Meantime, ACube's Sam460 board is very much worth considering, especially with recent driver developments.

Toaks 
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 19:19:20
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:
I didn't mean $3000 to one person.. I meant $3000 overall, average per person spent, spread out among various pieces of software. Whether its buying commerically written software, registering shareware, donating to a project, etc etc..

i and many i know have put more than that into the software Amiga community lately and just because you haven't doesn't mean it counts for everyone else and yes that goes the other way around too... just saying.

that said... i feel we need more talented developers wanting to do stuff and get paid for it, we all know the market is dead as a dodo and the only way we can revive it is by motivating people and if the usual banter doesn't help then you have to throw money at them :D

Spirantho 
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 19:34:07
#48 ]

@Toaks

Quote:

Toaks wrote:
that said... i feel we need more talented developers wanting to do stuff and get paid for it, we all know the market is dead as a dodo and the only way we can revive it is by motivating people and if the usual banter doesn't help then you have to throw money at them :D

Speaking as a developer, I can assure you 100% that you're quite right - banter doesn't pay bills....
I have the desire, I have the tools, I have the ability - the one thing I don't have is spare money so I can dedicate my time to coding, I have to dedicate it to earning money.

Toaks 
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 22:48:45
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho

Quote:

Spirantho wrote:
@Toaks

Quote:

Toaks wrote:

Speaking as a developer, I can assure you 100% that you're quite right - banter doesn't pay bills....
I have the desire, I have the tools, I have the ability - the one thing I don't have is spare money so I can dedicate my time to coding, I have to dedicate it to earning money.

So what can you do/or have planned if you can get some cash for it?
anything major?.
Bounties is not for everyone, hired contract is better to others etc.

klx300r 
Re: A-EON Announces New Batch Of Motherboards...
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 23:41:23
#50 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

mbrantley wrote:
@Darth_X

Having purchased AmigaOS hardware has definitely led me to spending money on AmigaOS software. And I'm not done with that yet.... must feed the Miggies. :)...

+ 1 Mike, common sense really and this holds true back to the Amiga 1000 days.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Spirantho 
Posted on 31-Mar-2013 0:01:29
#51 ]

@Toaks

What wouldn't I like to do? :)

Examples:
I'd like to do all sorts of things - properly Amiga-optimised versions of MAME, more bug-fixes to various other things I've done... I'd love to write a Dungeon Master designer (imagine SEUCK but with dungeons, maps, weapons, puzzles....). I want to write adventure games. I want to write drivers for more hardware, especially the more esoteric bits. I want to make hardware/software to integrate with C64s. I want to help with porting web browsers. I want to port Audacity. I want to write a game which I wrote most of on Xbox but it never came out - but for the Amiga. I want to write more puzzle games. I want to improve the support for writing IPF disks in Catweasel (it's partially working, but only partially). I want to make UAE use the Catweasel for DF0:. I want to write the drivers for the next next-generation Amigas chipsets.

Basically, there's lots I want to do. But I can't justify the time - and I'd bet it's the same with many other people here. To work on a project full time it has to pay the same as any other full time project, and there's just nowhere near enough money in the Amiga market for that. The best I can offer is the occasional week of reduced-rate development as a "favour" to the community.

Put it this way: if I were to dedicate my time to writing a Dungeon Master Designer, I'd estimate optimistically about 6 months work for just me full time, start to finish, design to completion of v1.0. If I work at usual rate that'd be about £40,000. That'd be a heck of a bounty.

Frags 
Posted on 31-Mar-2013 0:19:03
#52 ]
Cult Member

...err...ah...

Oh, forget it, tsk.

- insert profound text here -

wawa 
Posted on 31-Mar-2013 13:16:44
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho

Quote:
if I were to dedicate my time to writing a Dungeon Master Designer, I'd estimate optimistically about 6 months work for just me full time, start to finish, design to completion of v1.0. If I work at usual rate that'd be about £40,000. That'd be a heck of a bounty.

be careful! not that people actually start to contribute towards that.. ;P

Franko 
Posted on 31-Mar-2013 14:47:27
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho

There is of course a Dungeon Master editor already written for the Amiga all the way back from 1988...

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/664

I always find it strange or rather can never understand when people say they'd like to write or develop programs for the Amiga but can't do so because of lack of time or money....

Sure I've read the reasons given as to why but when it comes to the Amiga there simply isn't really a market there anymore for some to realistically earn enough money from it (in most cases). Let's face it even when there was a market piracy was rife on the Amiga platform which although another subject still affected/ affects the possible income from writing stuff for the Amiga...

People still write new stuff and update old stuff all the time on the Amiga for free and obviously find the time (just check out Aminet, The OS4Depot or even here DJrikki & BroadBlues for example) and without the "need" for what are really quite some large figures bandied about...

Personally I have written much of the software I need for my Amigas over years or modified commercial programs to suit my needs. Thing is I have never thought that I needed money in order to do this nor required money to do so and the time spent is part of the enjoyment of using the Amiga. Writing stuff for the Amiga is simply part of being an Amiga user to me and not a chore or a way to earn money and is actually something enjoyable...

I'm not "having a go" at anyone here all I'm trying to say is. if you use an Amiga and are able to code for it then to me that is all part of being an Amiga user. It doesn't cost money to code something and the time is part of your being an Amiga user anyway. So why not spend some time writing stuff you really want to write and forget about financial reward for it, cos in the Amiga "market" there's as much chance of financial reward as there is of me ever owning a mobile phone...

Spirantho 
Posted on 31-Mar-2013 15:20:01
#55 ]

@Franko

I completely agree, actually. :) The problem isn't the coding - I do a lot of that anyway (c.f. Catweasel drivers, AmiTV TV card drivers etc. etc.). The problem is that the projects I want to do are just too large. If I were to do a Dungeon Master designer in what little free time I have, it'd be 2065 before I completed it. It's just not practical - the development cycle is just too long. That's why there are so many ports of Linux software for the Amiga, I reckon - it's not lack of ability, it's lack of [/i]time[/i] because we're all doing day jobs that mean we don't have the time to do what we really want - which is writing new full-scale Amiga software :)

I do my bit when I can, but if a project is going to take 6 man months of full time work to complete, there's just no way it's going to happen unless someone pays me - the bills always need to be paid.

@wawa

:) I know what you mean. But wouldn't it be awesome to just get paid a full wage to develop the Amiga software we want to!

Edit:
Franko, since when exactly has the existence of a piece of software EVER stopped someone developing a new piece of software to do the same thing? :) The fun is in the development, and as a coder you always have ideas which are lacking in the other person's effort.

I also want to write an Ultima VI game and editor too. That'd be awesome :)

Last edited by Spirantho on 31-Mar-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 31-Mar-2013 15:36:19
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho

Quote:

Spirantho wrote:
@Franko

Edit:
Franko, since when exactly has the existence of a piece of software EVER stopped someone developing a new piece of software to do the same thing? :) )

It hasn't... and I never claimed it had !!!

One of the reasons why a lot of the stuff I have written are basically modified versions of stuff already written is they were good but lacked features that I required and so i either re-wrote them or modified/ up graded them to suit my needs...

Not sure why you'd think I believe cos something has already been written that it shouldn't be done so again... most programs on any platform are just different versions of something someone has already written before...

Spirantho 
Posted on 31-Mar-2013 15:55:18
#57 ]

@Franko

Don't worry, I know no coder would believe that. I was just pointing out that the existence of a Dungeon Master Editor has no effect on me wanting to write one. :)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle