Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  44 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 -Sam-:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 retrofaza:  3 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /  Public release of MorphOS 3.2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: Public release of MorphOS 3.2
Posted on 28-May-2013 7:46:38
#21 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
g5 mac support was requested as a bounty, because proof of conccept was shown some time ago. if you want sam support finalized put up a bounty.

Acube does so. Point is in multiple choices on SAM board

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/386491_4958257605168_1970482500_n.jpg

http://bigfoot.morphos-team.net/test/sam460ex_3.png

Profile     Report this post  
Toaks 
Posted on 28-May-2013 8:12:01
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

successfully installed to hdd now, all the windows needs resizing, that should be addressed.

how do i get online with this thing? can i use a wired connection or wifi?

how do i see what gfx card is inside? .

Last edited by Toaks on 28-May-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 28-May-2013 8:25:53
#23 ]
Cult Member

@Toaks
Quote:
successfully installed to hdd now, all the windows needs resizing, that should be addressed.

There are quite a few settings in Preferences -> IControl and MUI Preferences regarding how windows behave. Pick your favorite. :)

Quote:
how do i get online with this thing? can i use a wired connection or wifi?

The network settings are in preferences, accessible from Ambient's menu. But if you have ethernet cable plugged in on boot and DHCP on the network, it should just work. Mac's built-in WiFi cards are not yet supported, so unless you have an Atheros PCI or PCMCIA card, you have to use wired connection. OWB browser is in applications directory.

Quote:
how do i see what gfx card is inside?

There's a program called GraphicsBoards in Utilities.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 28-May-2013 9:08:28
#24 ]

@Toaks

Why don't you start your own thread asking help on your specific issues?

Toaks 
Posted on 28-May-2013 9:24:09
#25 ]
Elite Member

@chain-q

thanks, that helped.

@Cool_amigaN

i have no specific issues, do you?

tlosm 
Posted on 28-May-2013 9:47:45
#26 ]
Elite Member

I found a Quad G5 Power Mac... hope one day morphos will come a multy processor os :)

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

ExiE 
Posted on 28-May-2013 10:23:58
#27 ]

It looks like Neo was totally wrong when he took the red pill...

spotUP 
Posted on 28-May-2013 10:33:06
#28 ]
Elite Member

I just bought a compatible ibook for 40 euro. =)
I wan't to use this baby mainly for classic software such as ppaint and digibooster etc.
Is there a compatibility list for classic software somewhere?
Does octamed work?

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

Templario 
Posted on 28-May-2013 10:34:51
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

No, still there is the image with problems, I downloaded it 30 minutes ago, and the iso has the problem.

Templario 
Posted on 28-May-2013 10:48:54
#30 ]
Elite Member

Yes, copying the boot.img in the boot partition, I have could to install the new MOS 3.2.

itix 
Posted on 28-May-2013 11:17:49
#31 ]
Elite Member

@spotUP

If it is not banging the hardware then it should work.

Toaks 
Posted on 28-May-2013 11:28:26
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

uh?, i downloaded it 5-6 hours ago and it worked fine.

geit 
Posted on 28-May-2013 11:44:51
#33 ]

Yes, the fixed ISO file is online for more than 11 hours now. It was uploaded around 3-4 hours after the initial release.

If you still fail installing, then you simply burned the wrong MorphOS 3.2 iso file or used the wrong disc and not the one you downloaded last.

Geit

Last edited by geit on 28-May-2013 at 11:45 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 28-May-2013 14:06:23
#34 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
@wawa Quote: g5 mac support was requested as a bounty, because proof of conccept was shown some time ago. if you want sam support finalized put up a bounty. Acube does so. Point is in multiple choices on SAM board

stay assured i know that all. ialso know about aros port. but i suppose the level of interest in supporting this hardware is rather low for obvious reasons. aros port hasnt been worked on for a while now and i assume this might be the case with morphos too. to be honest i personally considered these attempts rather waste of time anyway, but since they were undertaken, there was some motivation to do it and i respect that.

vox 
Posted on 28-May-2013 14:35:35
#35 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
stay assured i know that all. also know about aros port. but i suppose the level of interest in supporting this hardware is rather low for obvious reasons. aros port hasnt been worked on for a while now and i assume this might be the case with morphos too. to be honest i personally considered these attempts rather waste of time anyway, but since they were undertaken, there was some motivation to do it and i respect that.

Well, now when PPC Macs support is compete, its good to see Acube has taken a bite to fund MorphOS port to it. We`ll see how SAM460/A1 500 users will react to it, but having ability to try MOS free and pay it after is just great, and might add some more MorphOS licenses.

Also, having some new hardware that people can purchase might also be beneficial in promoting MorphOS. Yes, its about 1 000 euros system, and is not as fast as G4 and G5 in terms of CPU speed, but isn`t that bad, too. However, having listed one system that can be obtained new now, will be first time after Pegasos/Pegasos II saga. There is some value in that, even if its just promotional.

AROS port was availiable also for SAM 440.

Quote:
It looks like Neo was totally wrong when he took the red pill...

Well, since MOS is first PPC AmigaOS-like product, I am also sad
Amiga Inc didn`t pick MorphOS at the time. It would save a lot of time, and there would
be less fragmentation of community and more development.

Years of more development and team skills make MorphOS so far better then AmigaOS 4.

However, I am amazed how MorphOS survives and develops, even being unofficial, and without Genesi support.

Last edited by vox on 28-May-2013 at 02:55 PM.

geit 
Posted on 28-May-2013 15:01:05
#36 ]

@vox

Quote:
However, having listed one system that can be obtained new now, will be first time after Pegasos/Pegasos II saga. There is some value in that, even if its just promotional.

The efika was and is still for sale.

Geit

wawa 
Posted on 28-May-2013 15:14:40
#37 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Also, having some new hardware that people can purchase might also be beneficial in promoting MorphOS. Yes, its about 1 000 euros system, and is not as fast as G4 and G5 in terms of CPU speed, but isn`t that bad, too. However, having listed one system that can be obtained new now, will be first time after Pegasos/Pegasos II saga. There is some value in that, even if its just promotional.

in all respect to acube, but not if its weaker and much more expensive than several years old alternatives. also less tested and quality proof (the late resistor issue that caused sound problems as example). new customers would just wonder why it is so and suspect some kind of rip off. however if sams are just an alternative among a wide hardware choice then it is all right.

honestly i dont see a promotional value of a new system that is not concurrent to up to date standards. a sane customer will also choose something he can easily and cheaply replace in case of breakage.

and if you think of some kind of branding or corporate identity then sam hardware (or pegasos or an a1) is just as much amiga as a macintosh. no less no more, just a board that may happen to run an amiga-like operating system and be able to execute genuine amiga software.

Quote:
AROS port was availiable also for SAM 440.

as is said, but neither the first nor the second time it went very far. there are certainly more people interested in aros68k port.

Last edited by wawa on 28-May-2013 at 03:15 PM.

vox 
Posted on 28-May-2013 16:31:34
#38 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
in all respect to acube, but not if its weaker and much more expensive than several years old alternatives. also less tested and quality proof (the late resistor issue that caused sound problems as example). new customers would just wonder why it is so and suspect some kind of rip off. however if sams are just an alternative among a wide hardware choice then it is all right. honestly i dont see a promotional value of a new system that is not concurrent to up to date standards. a sane customer will also choose something he can easily and cheaply replace in case of breakage. and if you think of some kind of branding or corporate identity then sam hardware (or pegasos or an a1) is just as much amiga as a macintosh. no less no more, just a board that may happen to run an amiga-like operating system and be able to execute genuine amiga software.

Apart from resistor problem that only one series of boards had (and which Acube immediately admitted) I have never heard any complains on their business, they really do their bests. Somehow SAM 460 design was kinky with strange onboard sound and graphics and only one SATA connector onboard (SAM 440 was way better in those aspects) but even you say its not concurrent, in all aspects beside CPU its better then most of PPC Macs (SATA2,DDR2, PCI-E). So it might provide platform for RadeonHD drivers too, might sound appealing and CPU speed is decent enough since MorphOS flies even on G3.

I agree today is all about boards that CAN run AmigaOS/MorphOS and that is what Amiga is from hardware side. From brand point it is Mac is way more famous then Acube, surely, but if people look to what is inside from hardware point, beside CPU, SAM looks decent.

Surely, at least having a link to something you can shop and is not ebay is kind of value for itself, don`t you think? Even MOS has found its way of survival, fair and hardworking one, time when Pegs were around was its golden era and it will be again when e.g. ARM port is done. Beside die hard Amigans that already use it and would buy whatever needed, its way easier to recommend something that is available.

Congrats on coming back to Amiga PPC Classic, hope to see that in next update!

vox 
Posted on 28-May-2013 17:02:02
#39 ]
Elite Member

@geit

Quote:
The efika was and is still for sale.

Good to know (even EFika is really low end system, its cheap)
, hope there will be link on MorphOS website to purchase it.

Its only 99$ at Directron

I see a Vesalia page http://www.vesalia.de/e_efika.htm
but I don`t see option to buy it.

wawa 
Posted on 28-May-2013 17:36:27
#40 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Apart from resistor problem that only one series of boards had (and which Acube immediately admitted) I have never heard any complains on their business, they really do their bests.

ive never questioned that. i dont question they business practices but rather try to point out objective difficulties and risks in comparison with well designed, produced and tested premium product by a leading company. remember only how long it took to find out that resistor problem. year? two years?

Quote:
Somehow SAM 460 design was kinky with strange onboard sound and graphics and only one SATA connector onboard (SAM 440 was way better in those aspects) but even you say its not concurrent, in all aspects beside CPU its better then most of PPC Macs (SATA2,DDR2, PCI-E). So it might provide platform for RadeonHD drivers too, might sound appealing and CPU speed is decent enough since MorphOS flies even on G3.

well, the macs were desinged upon a research of what is best for a regular customer i guess. i dont know what for the sams were designed but either were not ment for desktop computers or is that design pretty awkward for an end user as it seems. sorry a mac scores here another point, to be fair.

Quote:
Surely, at least having a link to something you can shop and is not ebay is kind of value for itself, don`t you think?

thats fpr people who like shopping, label victims, there might be some who really care, me not. id be interested in a new hardware that somehow carries amiga philosophy and heritage. if this is bullshit today, then i just dont care, id take an regular x86 board..

Quote:
Congrats on coming back to Amiga PPC Classic, hope to see that in next update!

its not their (mos team) intention so far i have it confirmed. and dont care so much either.

Last edited by wawa on 28-May-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle