Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 69 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  15 mins ago
 kolla:  54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  58 mins ago
 nikosidis:  1 hr ago
 21stcentury:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Should Linux kernel power future AOS solution ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
olegil 
Re: Should Linux kernel power future AOS solution ?
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 13:56:09
#321 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Ah, the old "everyone should back MY project" attitude

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 13:58:51
#322 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

sorry I do not understand that. What are you referring to?

terminills 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 14:13:45
#323 ]
AROS Core Developer

@olegil

Quote:

@OlafS25

Ah, the old "everyone should back MY project" attitude

Which project is Olaf's project that he's saying everyone should back? Or are you making an assumption?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 14:45:14
#324 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

perhaps he means "AROS" (even though it is certainly not "MY project").

@Olegil

it is not about supporting one project but not reinventing wheels that are already available. Good example is that there are some sources common between MorphOS and AROS. Both sides benefit from it, noone looses something.

bison 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:08:20
#325 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
In reality it's the exact opposite: an Amiga o.s. has only threads, and lacks processes. The Amiga o.s., drivers, and application platform runs as if there's only one process, and all the tasks are threads (which share all the memory in a common address space).

I never thought about it that way, but that's pretty much the situation. Segfaults become reboots. It really highlights the problem of trying to retrofit memory protection to AmigaOS while still retaining backward compatibility.

It was a brilliant scheme in 1985, since it was the only practical way to implement multitasking on a 7 Mhz CPU, but an original strength became a liability in only a few years. Amiga had a few of those, unfortunately.

bison 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:11:44
#326 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
the problem in the amiga-community is not only the lack of resources, it is the desire to reinvent every wheel (even if the result will be worse and it is wasting resources)

I agree with you 95%, but with one footnote: people sometimes get so over on the side of not reinventing the wheel that after a while no-one knows how to make wheels anymore (to stretch the metaphor to its max. )

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:18:33
#327 ]
Elite Member

@bison

hmmm but why being able to reinvent the wheels if you can concentrate yourself instead on a decent engine or autobody? (to stretch it further )

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:21:53
#328 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

terminills wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
Me too. But it's an unfair comparison, because Linux can count on THOUSANDS of developers (most of them coming from very big companies) whereas AROS has 2-3 order of magnitude below coders. Even if AROS is a very lightweight o.s., it can easily lose the battle from this PoV.

It's not unfair to compare the reality of the situation.

Yes, we can. But doing so, I don't understand why you haven't answered to this:

"So if the hosted AROS version performs better than the native one, why the developers are wasting their (little) time with the latter? They can just focus on the former, right?"

Let's face the reality...

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:23:55
#329 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@cdimauro

the problem in the amiga-community is not only the lack of resources, it is the desire to reinvent every wheel (even if the result will be worse and it is wasting resources)

In this case, why don't just completely move to some Linux distribution, customizing it to look similar to the Amiga o.s.? Why reinventing the wheel, if it's just here and available?

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:24:36
#330 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
In reality it's the exact opposite: an Amiga o.s. has only threads, and lacks processes.

I understand your point? So where is the main process?

It's running...

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:27:32
#331 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

it is a strange comment from a developer. In software-development most people use preprogrammed components that are easy to figure, there are class-libraries for decades, why not instead reprogrgramming it?

BTW I did not talk about using linux-components

Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Nov-2013 at 05:28 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:31:09
#332 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
In reality it's the exact opposite: an Amiga o.s. has only threads, and lacks processes. The Amiga o.s., drivers, and application platform runs as if there's only one process, and all the tasks are threads (which share all the memory in a common address space).

I never thought about it that way, but that's pretty much the situation. Segfaults become reboots. It really highlights the problem of trying to retrofit memory protection to AmigaOS while still retaining backward compatibility.

You can't have both them. Either you share everything and have a fragile system, or protect the memory and lose backward compatibility.

Quote:
It was a brilliant scheme in 1985, since it was the only practical way to implement multitasking on a 7 Mhz CPU, but an original strength became a liability in only a few years. Amiga had a few of those, unfortunately.

Unfortunately it was another Commodore fault, because it just recycled the old o.s., enhancing it only on some non-critical feature.

But that was also the way that Apple followed for a bit less 20 years, until she decided to make a net cut with the past, introducing a complete new (for the Mac users) o.s., and putting the old stuff in a sandbox.

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:36:42
#333 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@cdimauro

it is a strange comment from a developer. In software-development most people use preprogrammed components that are easy to figure, there are class-libraries for decades, why not instead reprogrgramming it?

BTW I did not talk about using linux-components

It's a too generic talk. It depends entirely on what's the goal that should be reached.

To be clear, even with a pile of consolidate tools already available, reinventing the wheel can be a better solution than reusing/adapting an old one. Whereas in other cases sticking with the old wheels can be a "better" solution (compromise),

michalsc 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:40:25
#334 ]
AROS Core Developer

@cdimauro

Quote:
"So if the hosted AROS version performs better than the native one, why the developers are wasting their (little) time with the latter? They can just focus on the former, right?"

Because AROS is not a commercial product. AROS Team is not a company which has to generate income and which has to pay the developers for working on AROS source code. Finally, because for many of us working with bare metal (native version of AROS) and writing low-level code is fun.

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:41:53
#335 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I talk about parts of the OS that are needed like most of the API, USB support, PCI and so on. Everyone does the same on its own instead of working together on the common parts and adding its own on top of it.

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:48:56
#336 ]
Elite Member

@michalsc

Quote:

michalsc wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

Because AROS is not a commercial product. AROS Team is not a company which has to generate income and which has to pay the developers for working on AROS source code. Finally, because for many of us working with bare metal (native version of AROS) and writing low-level code is fun.

Genau! And I'm perfectly fine with this. That's why I love AROS the way it's...

But putting some money over a project is a completely different thing, and I can understand some choices too.

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:50:19
#337 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@cdimauro

I talk about parts of the OS that are needed like most of the API, USB support, PCI and so on. Everyone does the same on its own instead of working together on the common parts and adding its own on top of it.

The question is quite simple: different o.s. have different APIs and/or ABIs. What you ask for can be difficult or even not desirable for the coders that have to deal with two different o.s./platforms.

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 17:53:29
#338 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I talk about AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS. They have the same (or better similar APIs). So it is possible (at least theoretic). And it is at least partly possible if wanted. One developer uses AROS to make his MorphOS ports.

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 18:15:53
#339 ]
Elite Member

Ah, OK. In principle it can possible. I think...

Raffaele 
Posted on 8-Nov-2013 23:27:58
#340 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@cdimauro

I talk about AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS. They have the same (or better similar APIs). So it is possible (at least theoretic). And it is at least partly possible if wanted. One developer uses AROS to make his MorphOS ports.

How nice...

MorphOS... A pure microkernel OS that has modern (but still not yet developed) features, must run a Linux Kernel? Full OS? with some flavour of AROS (API? Hosted? Wrapped?) to obtain the same things that could obtain by just developing its QBox part hidden into its guts...

It seems a kafkian (*) joke of some sort...

(*) Kafkian = adj. Referred to Franz Kafka surreal stories.

Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Nov-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Nov-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle