Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 clint:  18 mins ago
 roar:  21 mins ago
 retrofaza:  22 mins ago
 Hypex:  24 mins ago
 Torque:  38 mins ago
 -Sam-:  53 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
TrevorDick 
Re: A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 2:08:55
#101 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
shipping to Australia is merciless on the wallet.

Agreed, same to New Zealand. That is one of the reason why AmigaKit are offering the Nemo board + AmigaOS 4 options for system builders. The Cyrus Plus board will also be available as a standalone option.

TrevorD

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 7:49:59
#102 ]

@wawa

Oh, so now wawa is some great prophet of what is Truth and what is fantasy or lies???

Give it a break man!

You have gone over the edge now and can't find your way back to reason and objectivity.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 8:43:32
#103 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

my bad

wawa 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 8:45:19
#104 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Oh, so now wawa is some great prophet of what is Truth and what is fantasy or lies???

neither me nor anyone here is a prophet. nor have i accused anyone of lies.

Quote:
Give it a break man!

will do.

Last edited by wawa on 14-Jan-2014 at 08:49 AM.

lylehaze 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 9:11:44
#105 ]

@wawa

Quote:
neither me nor anyone here is a prophet.

So we are all agreed that the AmigaWorld forums are a
"non-prophet" organization??

Just checking.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 10:06:11
#106 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

we should not start with politics here because a lot of could be said here and it would not make the discussion better...

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 10:07:15
#107 ]
Elite Member

@mbrantley

I could say something too but I better do not. Let Politics out of this please...

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 10:09:54
#108 ]
Elite Member

@guruman

"BTW, I find quite ridicolous that in a "world" of around a couple of thousand people worldwide (i.e. the Amiga community), someone still takes it so seriously to issue things like NDAs..."

the same is on ARIX where you have to sign a NDA to betatest... For me it is silly. What "secrets" have they to protect and against whom? Apple, Microsoft, Google?

amigadave 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 10:46:05
#109 ]

@OlafS25

This is wandering Off Topic, so I am hesitant to comment further on your message, but I can see why some people working on projects wish to keep their work private, or even secret, until they are ready to reveal what they are doing. In such cases, an NDA makes at least a little sense. I don't think they are requiring an NDA because they believe that they are re-inventing the computing experience and feel that they need to protect themselves from predatory companies, like Microsoft, or Apple, but they still deserve their privacy, if that is what they wish.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 10:48:59
#110 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I respect it too... I would not sign it

But still I think we need not more "NDA"s but more communication (inside and outside the community)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 14-Jan-2014 at 10:49 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 10:51:07
#111 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Not to mention that bugs in a beta-test should not be something that gets blown up as news. Just imagine the field-day the haters (in general, just pick a concept and someone will be strongly opposed to it) would have if they knew about all the things that are wrong when you do beta testing.

As a beta tester you WILL get information that is not known to the general public, and since common courtesy stopped existing some time back, an NDA is used to make sure you don't release said information.

Try getting a datasheet from Marvell. THEN you'll know how silly an NDA can be.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 10:52:13
#112 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

You say we need more communication, others say we shouldn't get announcements unless the products are done.

It's hard to please both views.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 11:00:03
#113 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

if someone uses a bug as "news" you can still throw him out of the program (no further updates in future). And "Beta" of course means that not all is tested and all bugs are fixed.

And feedback by potential users can never be bad otherwise you do something and get the "negative" feedback when all is too late. I am not sure if that is better, At least there should be much more communication f.e. weekly or monthly updates, roadmap and so on so people know what is worked at (and that there is something worked on at all) otherwise you can get the impression that the work has stopped.

Overflow 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 11:06:55
#114 ]

@OlafS25

Well, you know the frenzy aw.net, amiga.org or moobunny will have over the most minor bug "news".
Not that I think Aeon/Trevor would care a whole lot since he seems driven to reach his goals no matter what level of negativity hes exposed to.

But all the same, why give the random naysayer something he will precive as "proof" for failure this and that.

Yes, many of us will be able to understand the consept of "developement" and that it will have bugs, failures etc.But judging by what Ive read here and elsewhere, thats not the case for everyone.

Last edited by Overflow on 14-Jan-2014 at 11:09 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 11:12:50
#115 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

I am aware that there are people hating certain companies/people but you do not communicate to your haters but to the others (user/potential users). So I still think that the lack of communication is one problem of our platform. But that is offtopic and will not change. For me personal NDAs are a no-go but that has everybody decide for himself.

Overflow 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 11:19:16
#116 ]

@OlafS25

Personally I agree with you, since I never take what I read on a random forum/newsoutlet as the defacto truth. I usually read, doublecheck and just add it up.

But given the nature of internet, I do see the NDA perspective too, even tho its not needed in my or maybe your case

olegil 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 11:21:08
#117 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

If being thrown out for breaking the NDA is a rule, then surely you must have signed the NDA

And as I said, many people here do not agree with you on the need for updates except for when something is actually finished, so just accept that you won't get your way on that. I suggest buying a helmet to deal with how hard life is

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 11:25:29
#118 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

thanx for suggestion I will think about it

It is not hard, I do not sign NDAs so I do not take part on "beta" testing. I have not sleepless nights because of this.

I do not have the problem to deal with rumors and false informations spreading because I do not communicate to the outside. Rumors and "informations" like "I have heard this or that from someone but I cannot say who" are the result of wrong information policy.

Just my two cents

Last edited by OlafS25 on 14-Jan-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 14:44:50
#119 ]
Elite Member

@guruman

Quote:
He seemed to confirm that X-Kernel was actively under betatest, but then specified that it is under development.

Yes I suppose that was a bit vague. The info I was distilling was just a repeat of the info given out at AmiWest. The X-Kernel is under developement and it would be tested of course during this development period, even if I'm not testing it myself.

It also has a link the the Cyrus project and beyond with the X5000 and the like.

Quote:
Is this really needed?

First, the obvious, Hyperion's link to a lawyer. Second, I don't think the NDA was put in place to protect them against other companies, it was put there to protect them against us; I mean me. Or people like me, who are invited into the "inner circle". It's just to protect their IP and stop us running around gossiping about the latest developments. Some "invites", who will remain unnammed, violated the NDA and shared private info. So a huge fine worth more than an X1000 is a deterrent not to insult the work of the developers and run loose in the crowd with naked info.

Last edited by Hypex on 14-Jan-2014 at 02:47 PM.

mbrantley 
Posted on 14-Jan-2014 15:01:45
#120 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Politics? The Teddy Roosevelt quote? That's some stretch.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle