Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  Torque

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  51 secs ago
 Torque:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  7 mins ago
 -Sam-:  18 mins ago
 retrofaza:  24 mins ago
 kolla:  53 mins ago
 roar:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
resle 
Re: A-EON: AmigaONE X5000 Revealed
Posted on 17-Jan-2014 23:13:56
#181 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:
my patience is wearing thin. When my patience is completely used up regarding your trolling behavior in forum messages, you will receive an appropriate vacation from posting without further warning.

Since when sarcasm became trolling?

Someone expresses his opinion sharply - yet without swear words or else - and you threaten him with a line that seems to come from some Bruce Wllis movie?

You should not be a moderator.

Profile     Report this post  
Signal 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 0:02:31
#182 ]
Cult Member

I think it's OK to be a moderator AND a people.

sundown 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 0:07:31
#183 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Quote:
Someone expresses his opinion sharply - yet without swear words or else - and you threaten him with a line that seems to come from some Bruce Wllis movie?

Maybe because some are negative all the time & post to stir the pot.

Negative comments are ok, its the posting style that irritates ppl more, like your comment about amigadave.

resle 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 0:32:57
#184 ]
Cult Member

@sundown

So now we are just going to a new level of intolerance:
too much sarcasm = trolling
"stirring the pot" = trolling
and now, drum roll...
"being negative too often" = trolling

Why shouldn't one be fully entitled to be "negative all the time", if he or she never OFFEND or THREATEN anyone else? What's wrong with that?

Like I am doing now. Yes, I am expressing myself negatively on Amigadave's behavior - specifically on his behavior as a moderator. Yes I am "stirring the pot".

If one can't question / argue the topic of a forum (Amiga related stuff) or the people which "inhabit" the same forum, then what's the point of having a forum at all. Gather a few well informed people, get them to post curated informative content, and done.

(but why do I even keep reasoning: after all, this is the forum where I got an Abuse Report for posting a picture of a plain stone slab tombstone as an allegory for "dead platform")

Last edited by resle on 18-Jan-2014 at 12:34 AM.

utri007 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 0:49:24
#185 ]

@resle

To be negative and use a sarcasm with it, is OK. But if a user write a 10 000 negative post spiced with sarcasm about a hobby computer and os, wich he is NOT interested, then there is something seriously wrong.

Kronos 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 9:21:41
#186 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:

Just because there are so few hardware & software developers left in the Amiga community, and only a fraction of them are interested in the Amiga NG systems, that does not make the inclusion of the interface useless on it's own merits. There are many hobbyists that are interested in playing with and creating things for the XMOS products, as can be seen on their site and forums.

"Xorro" being useless has nothing to do with the lack of developers, trolling, the price of the mobo or even the current moon-phase....

It's all down to what the XMOS-chips actually are, small footprint microcontrollers aimed at working standalone and then sending their data over ethernet or USB.

There simple is nothing that Xorro could do that couldn't easier be done:
- the P6T CPU
- proper PCI(e) IO-board
- XMOS connected over USB
- XMOS standalone

As such Xorro pretty much nails the definition of "gimmick" regardless wether it's been used or not.

Rose 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 12:05:37
#187 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

Quote:

"Xorro" being useless has nothing to do with the lack of developers, trolling, the price of the mobo or even the current moon-phase....

It's all down to what the XMOS-chips actually are, small footprint microcontrollers aimed at working standalone and then sending their data over ethernet or USB.

There simple is nothing that Xorro could do that couldn't easier be done:
- the P6T CPU
- proper PCI(e) IO-board
- XMOS standalone

As such Xorro pretty much nails the definition of "gimmick" regardless wether it's been used or not.

+1

But actually having a clue seems to be trolling now.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 13:21:51
#188 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

I do not know if a onboard solution is faster than f.e. USB. But anyway you propably need software, drivers and SDK to full use it. As far as I know there is nothing available so it is not usable at the moment. And Wawa said (a little ironic) that he does not believe that it will be useful for anyone on a consumer board. At least up to now there is no counterproof...

But the question was: "Is Xorro revolutionary?" and I say no. To be revolutionary on hardware is almost impossible today (except you have plenty of money) so revolutionary on hardware is unrealistic. In the past Newteks Video Toaster was revolutionary or the first Raytracer. People bought Amigas because of these programs. A chance would be a creative solution for specialized purposes consisting of software and hardware (including 3rd party). That would be a chance in my view. If it is called revolutionary or not is important. Of course we would have to identify something and then we would need software- and hardware developers who do the work .

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Jan-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Jan-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Jan-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Spirantho 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 13:54:55
#189 ]

@OlafS25

I'm pretty sure the full Xorro/Xena SDK is already running under OS4.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 14:00:40
#190 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
- the P6T CPU

Well you can use the CPU to drive a IDE hd also, but not having a controller chip will cost you more cpu cycels that can be used for other things.

Quote:
- proper PCI(e) IO-board

I agree, what people have hoped for is classic chipset support, and it think its dout full the XMOS chip can be used like that.

Quote:

Well USB is slow, so thats not ideal, but for expensive its a lot safer then killing a expensive computer like the X1000.

Quote:
- XMOS standalone

well XMOS can and is used to emulate chips, but its not a FPGA, its not as flexible, its not ideal as micro controller.

Anyway, as I have been saying for long time now, if it was a FPGA then you can simulate CIAA, CIAB, Paula, Alice and Lisa, might have been a lot more interesting, and bright the gap between classic Amiga, and next generation hardware.

Anyway there are no X-zorro IO card, whit connectors, you might expect.

Like floppy connector, joy stick ports, vga out, and so on, and this make not interesting.
At least the Sam460 has some easier and more interesting features, the i2c interface and GPIO pins, can be easily be used for things.

It might be easy to do floppy controller connected to GPIO pins, or the I2C interface, you should not really need Catwesael, to read and write floppy disks, but I'm not shore about the voltage on GPIO.

Or joystick posts on I2c, or even keyboard emulation.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 18-Jan-2014 at 02:02 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 14:47:02
#191 ]
AROS Core Developer

@sundown

Quote:

Negative comments are ok, its the posting style that irritates ppl more, like your comment about amigadave

if that was the case Dave should be banned his posting style irritates many users.

however his post to Wawa was a blatant personal attack..

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

terminills 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 14:54:46
#192 ]
AROS Core Developer

@amigadave

nice personal attack there buddy. Your holier than thou attitude is disgraceful. Wawa has done plenty in the form of testing for projects that will help users of various hardware over the years. what have you done other than speak down to those you don't agree with?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Kronos 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 15:54:42
#193 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

- driving an IDE hd by the CPU ain't nothing weird (all PIO-modes do that) but since it provides core part of any system and can be quite demanding with modern drives thats inpracticle. The XMOS chip on the other side is nothing but another CPU with limited resources and running at 0.??% speed of the main CPU.

- USB ain't slow (it may be lacking in an implementation but thats not an argument against USB) and an XMOS will have a hard time collecting and sending enough data to chocke USB2-highspeed mode.

-> classic Amiga inside NG

You know there is an obscure programm called UAE providing just that ?
(and I may add with atleast the same level of detail than any Minimg or similar)

Insist on useing the host OS' 68k-EMU ? Well start digging in that UAE-source.

Insist on having a seperate 15kHz monitor ? Have a look aroung for an VGA-core and an PCI(e) core, place them into an FPGA, place the FPGA on a PCI(e) card alongside some D/A logik and..... start digging in that UAE-source.

Want some floppy connector ? Buy a catweasel or start by hooking some microcintroller to USB.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 16:05:40
#194 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

thx for backup;) its really hard to answer to accusations by the very same people one has answered in the past over and over.

Yssing 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 16:26:19
#195 ]

No matter how you feel about any given matter, it all comes down to diplomacy or how you choose to express your believes and feelings

Last edited by Yssing on 18-Jan-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Last edited by Yssing on 18-Jan-2014 at 04:27 PM.

itix 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 17:15:16
#196 ]
Elite Member

@Yssing

Learn it from great Finns how to do it properly: finlandization

Last edited by itix on 18-Jan-2014 at 05:15 PM.

jorit2 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 18:08:52
#197 ]

@amigadave

Since I started this thing about Xena/... I feel I should step in in wawa's defense and I think you're overreacting.

But even if it were not for the comments made by wawa, which I didn't take as being offensive at all, sarcastic or maybe cynical yes, but if that happens to be his point of view ...

As some others here I took your comments as offensive, sad as it may be.

You being a moderator I took issue with this remark:

Quote:
What useful thing(s) have you ever done for any part of the Amiga community?

That comment would be ok for a regular user to make, but not for a moderator.

Quote:
As for your obvious trolling on the forums, just trying to stir up the ire of the supporters of these systems you share zero interest in ever owning

Maybe it's just me, but I've actually never considered wawa's comments as being intentionally trolling or stirring up. As for the supporters of these systems, if they feel being stirred up, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

Maybe it's just a sign of the state of the community, a reflection of reality ? And as such if you want this forum to retain any credibility, I would expect a moderator to stand up for the rights of the writer, even if you don't agree with them.

Or as Voltaire used to say: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

And about :
Quote:
my patience is wearing thin. When my patience is completely used up regarding your trolling behavior in forum messages, you will receive an appropriate vacation from posting without further warning.

... .... nevermind

Evert

Signal 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 18:32:39
#198 ]
Cult Member

@jorit2

Quote:

jorit2 wrote:
@amigadave

As for the supporters of these systems, if they feel being stirred up, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

Evert

So the OS4 people should stay out of the Amiga OS4 Hardware forum.

+1

sundown 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 19:18:05
#199 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
Since I started this thing about Xena/... I feel I should step in in wawa's defense and I think you're overreacting.

With all due respect, you are new here & the negative posts by some are getting old & repeated too often. Most of use have no issues with ppls opinions, but most negative posts come across as "facts". This is easy to fix if the poster would state it was his/her opinion as a disclaimer at the start of their post. Such a simple thing to do, but trolls love to stir the pot.

Rob 
Posted on 18-Jan-2014 19:25:32
#200 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Just tthought I'd remind you that jorit2 is Evert Carton.

@AmigaDave

Aren't people supposed to receive a warning before being banned?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle