Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 sibbi:  9 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  9 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 klx300r:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 kinchan:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Natami resurrection?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: Natami resurrection?
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 14:32:52
#121 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro Quote:
RunInUAE ... are like (Win)UAE.

I don't think WinUAE allows you to double-click on an OS-native icon for a 68k program (stored in the OS-native filingsystem) and have it (fairly) seamlessly execute the program (under emulation, and in general without need for any configuring of the emulator nor copying the program to a special location). It even works for most IconX scripts (which some games use), although admittedly that's a bit of a kludge.

Anyway, RunInUAE isn't an emulator, it's a wrapper for E-UAE, so if I was a pedant I'd say it's nothing like WinUAE

Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Apr-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Apr-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Apr-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 15:40:37
# ]

@tangoone

Quote:
Minimig is not a dedicated amiga but you can run many different computers on this. What we want is dedicated amiga, so when I turn it on it is a amiga nothing else.

My FPGA machines boot straight into Workbench when I turn them on. They can only boot what you put on the SD card. If you want it act as an Amiga and nothing else, just don't install anything else. Why cripple a machine for the sake of it?

It's not like you couldn't run other stuff on a classic Amiga - for example, you could run Unix or install a PC Bridgeboard if you really wanted. No big deal.

Chris

Report this post  
Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 15:44:43
#123 ]

@ChrisH

Start game from a list VS double-click a icon

No point in buying an insanely over expensive PPC AmigaOne just to be able run Amiga games by double-click on a icon instead of just pick the game from a list like in WinUAE and FS-UAE on a common everyday device, or alternatively just use your old standalone real Amiga.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

kolla 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 21:07:35
#124 ]
Elite Member

@tangoone

Quote:

Minimig is not a dedicated amiga but you can run many different computers on this. What we want is
dedicated amiga, so when I turn it on it is a amiga nothing else.

I have a couple of A1200s booting straight into Linux, gosh, guess they also are not dedicate amiga computers! My Minimig has only been running AmigaOS and Minix a few times for fun.

Last edited by kolla on 28-Apr-2015 at 09:32 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 21:18:22
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre
No need to read more into my reply than there I wrote! I never claimed RunInUAE as a reason for buying an AmigaOS4 machine .

However, I do personally like how it integrates old games into a relatively modern Amiga-like OS. But then I like all the software I wrote! If you want to run virtually all (supported) emulated games (not just Amiga ones) from a searchable list on an AmigaOS4/AROS/MorphOS machine, then I point you towards my eGame (link is to OS4Depot as that has nice screenshots, but you can find it on Aminet too). Yes, I'm biased about that too!

Anyway, I fear we are going off-topic...

Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Apr-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Apr-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 22:49:00
#126 ]

@ChrisH

On-topic in a thread that is more than a year old?

Maybe I'm a perfectionist because probably 95% of everything I make goes in a private archivate or stright in the trashcan.

But why do you keep yourself only to such a very small market? Why not expand to much bigger markets with much more users? There you will also find emulators for all deadend or discontinued computer systems and consoles that have ever existed, or at least all worth emulating.

Last edited by Hillbillylitre on 28-Apr-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

Rob 
Posted on 28-Apr-2015 23:27:57
#127 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Maybe Chris simply prefers developing software for Amiga OS. He isn't charging for the software so why should bigger markets matter to him anyway.

Seiya 
Posted on 29-Apr-2015 9:22:05
#128 ]

Quote:

pavlor wrote:

WinUAE offers too limited experience ("feeling" ). However, Amithlon-like solution could be interesting...

winuae gives the same feeling.
the difference is that WinUAE start from Windows, Amithlon boot directly AmigaOS, but WinUAE offers more feeling because it emulate at 100% real hardware

Amithlon emulate very good CPU (but only 68020/68882 instructions set) with UAE and it's faster than WinUAE on the same hardware because it not emulate customs chips..
It has a good feeling if you have supported hardware like audio, net, video card. It not you have a very bad experience.

resle 
Posted on 29-Apr-2015 10:34:42
#129 ]
Cult Member

@Seiya

Quote:

Seiya wrote:

winuae gives the same feeling.
the difference is that WinUAE start from Windows, Amithlon boot directly AmigaOS

you can boot directly into AmigaOS from Windows, as I wrote many times it's as simple as replacing Windows' shell (explorer.exe) in the registry with Winuae. If you go the extra mile removing Windows' boot logo, you end up switching the power on and being into WB ten seconds afterwards.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 29-Apr-2015 13:52:51
#130 ]

@Rob

Don't drag AmigaOS into this, say Hyperion AmigaOS4 instead.

I want to be a proud Amiga owner but that is not possible when it can get associated or confused with this NG crap.

cdimauro 
Posted on 1-May-2015 15:14:50
#131 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
No. No chance at all.

Your loss.

I made my choices, as you know.
Quote:
Quote:
Wait a moment. I don't remember that such cards were available for the Amigas. I remember Cybervision, Picasso, Videotoaster for sure (but there are other cards which I don't remember currently), but not the ones that you cited.

Permedia2 = CyberVisionPPC or BVision

Other are common PCI cards (for Mediator etc.).

Amigas had the Zorro bus or the internal expansion card to connect additional cards, not the PCI.

I took a look at the Mediators cards, and I found that they also require to install the Amiga motherboards in some horrible cases...

Anyway, they are something which are not part of the Amigas hardware. Hacks that completely changed the nature these computers.

Additional cards should work on the Zorro bus, or the internal expansion card. As any other normal Amiga card.
Quote:
Quote:
But cards that you reported don't have to be emulated, since they were not available for the Amiga.

That certainly doesn´t depend on you...

For sure.
Quote:
Wasn´t it Toni Willen who once said WinUAE will NEVER emulate PowerPC?

Yes, but unfortunately the PowerPC expansion cards were part of the Amiga history. Like the RTG cards. I think that he wanted to increase the Amiga peripheral coverage, albeit I don't like that waste of time on such project.
Quote:
Quote:
So, it's not WinUAE which is limited.

I take your own example: Picasso IV emulation - overlay is supported on real hardware (and by OS4), but not in WinUAE...

Yes, that part should be fixed. Picasso cards are one of the many RTG cards available for Amigas.

Aside that, I don't think that the same should happen with the PCI cards that you cited. They aren't normal Amiga cards.

cdimauro 
Posted on 1-May-2015 16:05:23
#132 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
Both uses emulation.

Most of the time, you run PowerPC program, you don't need emulation on real hardware.

AREXX is 68K based, as well as some system applications (some Preferences? I don't remember now).

Have you tried to completely turn off Petunia? I don't talk about 5 minutes, just to try, but extensively, to test how is the (only) native PowerPC experience.
Quote:
Quote:
However it's not "clever". The 68K emulation is fully integrated on OS4 (and on MorphOS too with Trance) only because they run on a PowerPC machine, so both processors use the same endianess. Call it "a nice side-effect".

680x0 assembler code is translated when needed,

That's how a JIT usually works.
Quote:
what is clever is that no CPU power is used when no 680x0 program are running, because then there is nothing to translate.

And the other thing that is clever with task emulation, vs machine emulation, is that tasks can make use of the PowerPC libraries and PowerPC datatypes, and PowerPC devices, running on the PowerPC native OS.

As I already stated, all that is just a side-effect of the fact that Petunia (as well as Trance) runs on a big-endian architecture, so it's fairly easy to transparently run translated 68K code and exchange data also (pointers, >8-bit data).

I've to add another important thing here: it's works only for 32-bit architectures. In a fully 64-bit o.s. that "magic" vanishes, for obvious reasons.

That's another reason why you'll not get a 64-bit AmigaOS4: it looses compatibility with the existing applications (PowerPCs too).
Quote:
Quote:
RunInUAE and FS-UAE are like (Win)UAE.

Is DosBox important to Windows7 user? Because that is exactly how important RunInUAE and FS-UAE is to a AmigaOS4 user.

The way your taking about AmigaOS4, you seem to think the rescue boat, is what makes a crussline pleasant to use or not. Or judging a airplane by the parachutes aboard. I have not used a parachute in all time I fly on holyday.

I'm not an OS4 user, as you know. I don't know how how often such emulators are used. However, I saw many threads that talked about them.
Quote:
Anyway, if there is old program you need to run it is there and you get many times the speed of an Amiga4000 or Amiga1200.

To me it's more like added bonus, to be a able to run some old 68060 Demo or Game.

The same happens for any other system, since UAE is ported to many of them. PCs have an advantage here (talking about a complete Amiga emulation), since it has a fast 68K->x86 JIT.

I see many users which regularly use (Win)UAE, so I assume that emulating the Amigas is still a common hobby.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 1-May-2015 16:09:07
#133 ]

@cdimauro

Blizzardvision and CybervisionPPC are video cards designed for Amiga computers and works only on Amiga computers.

For me it was one of the main factors for purchasing the accelerator cards and not the PPC coprocessor, and it fit just fine inside Amiga 1200 although i recommend to put everything in another box, or atleas have some extra cooling in the A1200.

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=462
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/blizzardvision

It says you can not use the clock port but that is possible with a clock port raiser so I can use a Prelude sound card too in the twelve hundred.

Last edited by Hillbillylitre on 01-May-2015 at 04:18 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 1-May-2015 16:10:16
#134 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@cdimauro Quote:
RunInUAE ... are like (Win)UAE.

I don't think WinUAE allows you to double-click on an OS-native icon for a 68k program (stored in the OS-native filingsystem) and have it (fairly) seamlessly execute the program (under emulation, and in general without need for any configuring of the emulator nor copying the program to a special location). It even works for most IconX scripts (which some games use), although admittedly that's a bit of a kludge.

Anyway, RunInUAE isn't an emulator, it's a wrapper for E-UAE, so if I was a pedant I'd say it's nothing like WinUAE

I was referring at it only because at the end it's an emulator that the users run when they use RunInUAE. So, I was only focusing on that stuff.

WinUAE doesn't do the same, but I don't think that it's difficult to run a Windows shell extension that does the same.

cdimauro 
Posted on 1-May-2015 16:13:35
#135 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:

Hillbillylitre wrote:
@cdimauro

Blizzardvision and CybervisionPPC are video cards designed for Amiga computers and works only on Amiga computers.

For me it was one of the main factors for purchasing the accelerator cards and not the PPC coprocessor, and it fit just fine inside Amiga 1200 although i recommend to put everything in another box, or atleas have some extra cooling in the A1200.

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=462
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/blizzardvision

If they are seen by the system (and integrated into) as any other Zorro RTG cards, I've nothing to say.

EDIT: fixed page layout.

Last edited by cdimauro on 01-May-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 1-May-2015 16:46:43
#136 ]

@cdimauro

I won't count AmigaOS4 for amiga software, though. because it turns off the primary 68K CPU.

(edit: Something strange is happening with the posts here on Amigaworld.net now?)

Last edited by Hillbillylitre on 01-May-2015 at 04:48 PM.

tangoone 
Posted on 1-May-2015 17:16:09
#137 ]

@cdimauro

what are our chances of ever getting a amiga clone with updated tech. ?

something like Raspberry pi.

Trewq 
Posted on 1-May-2015 17:57:43
#138 ]

@Hillbillylitre

You can't tell other people what to do, AmigaOS is at version 4.1 FE right now, there's nothing you can do about that.

Quote:
I won't count AmigaOS4 for amiga software, though. because it turns off the primary 68K CPU.

As of AmigaOS 4.0 68k isn't the primary cpu anymore.

@cdimauro

How is replacing the zorro board in an A3000/A4000 with a PCI board a hack ?
Is replacing the harddrive with a higher capacity one also a hack ?

You don't need to place the motherboard in a 'horrible' tower case if you want to install one of those.

Only the 1200 has to do that, but then again so would you if want to add expansions anyway, such as a zorro board or a accelerator which needs airflow.

Quote:
If they are seen by the system (and integrated into) as any other Zorro RTG cards, I've nothing to say.

I don't get it, so why is this PCI card not a hack or a "normal" card ?

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 1-May-2015 18:18:04
#139 ]

@Trewq

Quote:

You can't tell other people what to do, AmigaOS is at version 4.1 FE right now, there's nothing you can do about that.

Quote:

As of AmigaOS 4.0 68k isn't the primary cpu anymore.

I wrote "I" won't count, can you see that? Me do not count AOS4 as Amiga software and OS.

So of course isn't Hyperion AmigaOS4 a 68K operating system because it is a PPC expansion card OS disabling the 68K primary cpu, and an Amigaone OS.

Trewq 
Posted on 1-May-2015 18:34:08
#140 ]

@Hillbillylitre

Yes you dolt I've seen that

But you can't seem to remember your own comment

Quote:
Don't drag AmigaOS into this, say Hyperion AmigaOS4 instead.

I want to be a proud Amiga owner but that is not possible when it can get associated or confused with this NG crap.

Connect the dots.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle