Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 173 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  19 mins ago
 Rob:  20 mins ago
 A1200:  26 mins ago
 pixie:  31 mins ago
 matthey:  39 mins ago
 sibbi:  53 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4.1 Final Edition help/tips/hints thread
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
broadblues 
Re: OS4.1 Final Edition help/tips/hints thread
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 22:49:16
#141 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kilaueabart

Quote:

t's on the disk at ID 0, LUN 0. If I understand Broadblues correctly, to be bootable, an AOS must be on that same disk, and that is why my OS4.1.6 won't get booted by CFE command from DH4: on a disk at ID 2, LUN 0. But the delayed boot (mouse button) menu shows everything. Doesn't it depend on the .of file? But sure enough, CFE > "show devices" doesn't seem to list it. (I posted the list I got in one of the other threads I've been getting help in, but no one has commented.)

I'll say it again

Kickstart, ie all the files in SYS:kickstart that in days of yore would have been in a ROM (except on an A1000) can only be loaded from SATA 0 or SAT 1.

Once loaded AmigaOS (ie everything else) may be booted from any partiotion on any hardisk attached (including USB ones).

This is why once you have loaded Kickstart the earl startup also shows bootable partitions on other drives.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 13:13:54
#142 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Errm you are describing the "easy to use" controls ie the OF boot menu.

Not on my system. Pressing Ctrl-U and Ctrl-D for up and down is not easy and less so as the timer won't stop when you navigate. A logical setup would be cursor up and down for up and down with a keypress stopping the timer. I've updated my system a few times and searched for an update to that bootloader but always see the same version.

Quote:
If you don't have that setup you say not worry about, then you wont get the second menu and so have to boot sepaerate volumes from the CFE command line (which I'm not even going to try and explain how to do).

I must be used to me system. IIRC you are talking about the quiet option where it boots straight into the default volume. Yes this would need to be changed if the startup script doesn't present the SLB menu.

broadblues 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 13:25:34
#143 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

Well there was a reason for the quotes arround "easy to use"

However:

Quote:

Not on my system. Pressing Ctrl-U and Ctrl-D for up and down is not easy and less so as the timer won't stop when you navigate. A logical setup would be cursor up and down for up and down with a keypress stopping the timer. I've updated my system a few times and searched for an update to that bootloader but always see the same version.

CTRL-U and CTRL-D are for modifying the *default* ie the one that boots automaticaly with no input from the user or when you just press return to clear the menu. Highlighted in green.

Press the *number* keys to choose an option. (not sure what happens for greater than 9 combinations but that quite a few so maybe moot).

Press the *SPACE* bar to stop the countdown, if you need time to think, or want to adjust the default.

The keys to press and the function are explained in yellow and white text below the menu.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 13:36:44
#144 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:
It's on the disk at ID 0, LUN 0.

Okay so where is your DVDs drive? DVD should be on SATA 0, and AmigaOS HD on SATA 2, mobo ports.

Quote:
But the delayed boot (mouse button) menu shows everything.

This is a problem. That's too late. You need to pick it from the text based AmmigaBoot running under CFE.

Quote:
Doesn't it depend on the .of file?

Well, in a way, yes, and for that to load the Kickstart. Since without a Kickstart you won't get the AmigaDOS early startup menu you are obviously describing.

Quote:
I need to clear space on the 0, 0 disk somehow (I may lose Ubuntu in the process!) and move DH4: over.

Ubuntu could probably resize itself if ran from CD. But I don't know if it would stuff up the Amiga partitions.

In any case you need the SLB to give you a menu. Reading the X1000_CFE.pdf will help. There is a CFE STARTUP variable that usually calls a "menu" command.

If something sets amigaboot_quiet to "Y" then you won't get that SLB menu. You would need to remove that and set os4_bootdevice to "auto" so the Kickstart loads off the volume you select as well as the Workbench.

This is in that guide.

Quote:
Whee! That did it! I'm on via FE!

Excellent. It was simple after all.

Quote:
My mind is slipping away by the minute. Another thing I can't remember is how to stop all that font stuff when booting Odyssey.

I thought if you saved it by quitting it would be fine. Did you also run the font downloader? Also make sure to load the proper tool/icon to launch it. IIRC the fonts are spoken about in the docs.

Last edited by Hypex on 26-Jan-2015 at 01:32 PM.

thinkchip 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 14:04:09
#145 ]

Here's something that might help someone trying to install FE on a micro. I created new partitions and formatted them. Then I ran the install, which went well. But when I tried to boot from the HD, it wouldn't get past UBoot. I'm not sure of the wording, but it said it didn't find any boot files on the device. So I created new partitions and reinstalled. Still the same thing. Then I went back into Media Toolbox and reloaded the boot loader, slb_v2, and that did the trick. It didn't even disturb the partitions.

broadblues 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 15:40:03
#146 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
It's on the disk at ID 0, LUN 0.

Okay so where is your DVDs drive? DVD should be on SATO 0, and AmigaOS HD on SATA 2, mobo ports.

Argh! No SATA 0 and SATA 1

And it doesn't matter which way round (at least in my case amikit installed the DVD on 1 and the HD on 0, so if it does matter then you got that the wrong way round too)

Quote:

If something sets amigaboot_quiet to "Y" then you won't get that SLB menu. You would need to remove that and set os4_bootdevice to "auto" so the Kickstart loads off the volume you select as well as the Workbench.

This is in that guide.

He did this already.

Metalheart 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 20:55:11
#147 ]
Elite Member

I was copying lots of MP3's from external USB disk to my internal HD and it was dead slow.
Realy unbearable !

Just now I got a message saying my HD was full. So I deleted 20 Gb from my trascan.
And woe and behold...... Copying is fast again !

Is it possible that copying (or disk activity in general) gets slower when the HD is almost full ?

HD Sii 3114 SFS/2 - USB disk FAT32

That as soon as you're born you're dying

broadblues 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 23:26:00
#148 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Metalheart

Quote:

was copying lots of MP3's from external USB disk to my internal HD and it was dead slow.
Realy unbearable !

Just now I got a message saying my HD was full. So I deleted 20 Gb from my trascan.
And woe and behold...... Copying is fast again !

Is it possible that copying (or disk activity in general) gets slower when the HD is almost full ?

HD Sii 3114 SFS/2 - USB disk FAT32

It's not "possible" it's inevtiable.

As the disk gets fuller it take longer to find the free space, file may get split across several spaces.

Metalheart 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 9:29:41
#149 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Realy ?? I didn't know that. Makes sense though....

Is there any diffference between filesystems or are all affected like this ?

Learning something new every day

Thanks

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 13:49:03
#150 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
CTRL-U and CTRL-D are for modifying the *default* ie the one that boots automaticaly with no input from the user or when you just press return to clear the menu. Highlighted in green.

Yes and it's what I use to pick a volume to boot from. It's just awkward to use. The UBoot SLB is easier to work with.

Quote:

I meant the mobo ports as it says in the manual. For some reason SATA 0 and SATA 2 translate to Port 0 and Port 1. Why it was designed to confuse people I don't know.

So which SATA do you mean, mobo or port?

Quote:
And it doesn't matter which way round (at least in my case amikit installed the DVD on 1 and the HD on 0, so if it does matter then you got that the wrong way round too)

Well if I have got it wrong the the X1000 PDF manuals have got it wrong as well. Such as the QuickStartGuide which was also in printed form. This stipuilates that for the firmware to boot an optical drive must be on SATA 0; Port 0 and HD on SATA 2; Port 1. Go figure!

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 15:23:45
#151 ]
Cult Member

@Tuxedo et al having audio problems on OS4.1 FE

I finally installed OS4.1 FE on a brand new SATA HD this weekend. It was a fresh install (no prev OS).

One of the first things I noticed was no sound. I did some searching on the Hyperion forums and found that I had the problem before with 4.1
Update 4 and Wazp3d.

First, move everything in your Devs/AHI and Devs/Audiomodes drawers TO Storage except for the driver for your card or onboard audio. Reboot. Download the drivers for your card or onboard audio from OS4depot.net. Dont' intall the drivers, but follow the instructions for setting up AHI in the readme.txt.

Second, reset your U-boot to default. Then readjust U-boot to your preference.

It is a bit annoying that AHI and sound is not setup by default in OS4.1 FE. Actually, considering my old post in the Hyperion forum, it has never been set up by default. Why is that?

Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 26-Jan-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 26-Jan-2015 at 03:30 PM.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 16:55:01
#152 ]
Cult Member

@thread

One more thing (to quote Peter Falk)...

With compositing enabled, Amidock has thick white vertical lines (not the separator docky). The lines disappear when I disable compositing. I'm using Radeon 2.4

Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 27-Jan-2015 at 10:31 AM.

broadblues 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 18:28:35
#153 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

Quote:

Quote:

Yes and it's what I use to pick a volume to boot from. It's just awkward to use. The UBoot SLB is easier to work with.

Your making it harder on yourself by using the wrong keys (ie choose a number key to boot a particular entry) but I do agree SLB2 is easier at that point in the prcess, but setting up multibooting is much easier with amigaboot.of as you don't need an linked kickstart directories, bootdevice.kmod and other such things.

Quote:

Quote:

I meant the mobo ports as it says in the manual. For some reason SATA 0 and SATA 2 translate to Port 0 and Port 1. Why it was designed to confuse people I don't know.

So which SATA do you mean, mobo or port?

Uh, okay didn't realise there was a mismatch between labelng and port number, useful to find that out now rather than later after juggling hardrives!

Quote:

Well if I have got it wrong the the X1000 PDF manuals have got it wrong as well. Such as the QuickStartGuide which was also in printed form. This stipuilates that for the firmware to boot an optical drive must be on SATA 0; Port 0 and HD on SATA 2; Port 1. Go figure!

Hmm they are reversed on mine as far as I can see but if CD is in it boots from it as the default option in amigaboot.of menu, however I can see that it may not do so if quiet mode is on. (which is the default).

klx300r 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 19:41:44
#154 ]
Elite Member

well last night I finally installed my 4.1FE & all went well but today I can't for the life of me change the screen mode to 1920x1080 from the standard 1024x768 the installer provided (I couldn't remember my max settings last night so played it safe)

added the new mode in prefs but when I reboot it doesn't show up??

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

davebraco 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 20:58:36
#155 ]

@klx300r

You have to install the RadeonHD driver 1.x from A-Eon that you receive with your X1000. (you can download it for free using your account on the a-eon website.

klx300r 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 21:11:03
#156 ]
Elite Member

@davebraco

cool was going to set up AmiStore again after cleaning up my WB the way I like it but I guess I'll have to bump AmiStore up on the todo loist now LOL

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Tuxedo 
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 22:16:40
#157 ]
Elite Member

@ALL

was safe to edit the new context menu with images with the old CMEditor program?

broadblues 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 12:11:56
#158 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Tuxedo

Quote:

was safe to edit the new context menu with images with the old CMEditor program?

The format has changed sligtly, with the addition of a feild at the start, for the icon image. So may be not. Backup the file ENVARC:ContextMenu.cfg before trying.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 13:34:38
#159 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Quote:
It is a bit annoying that AHI and sound is not setup by default in OS4.1 FE. Actually, considering my old post in the Hyperion forum, it has never been set up by default.

I agree. I've always thought the AHI Prefs were slightly complicated and alwsys wondered why the user has to set them up. I mean, who fully understands dB settings? I understand the loudest is when the knob is on the far right!

Perhaps the hardest is the unts and music unit where you have to cycle through each one and select your mode. How are those units useful for the user anyway? They are used on the programming side. They should be set up by default. And simplified in the least.

Why am I asking you these things, since you already know the problem?

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 13:43:22
#160 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Your making it harder on yourself by using the wrong keys (ie choose a number key to boot a particular entry)

No that would stress me out and confuse me as I rush to match my eyes to keys!

Already tried the numbers game, like to go up or down and highlight what I want. Yes this is strange as I liked the direct T-bar in my Camira where I loaded it straight into gear agianst the Sonata I drive now with tiptronic where I have to keep pressing up or down.

Quote:
Uh, okay didn't realise there was a mismatch between labelng and port number, useful to find that out now rather than later after juggling hardrives!

I set up my X1000 myself, and even with a torch, I was still juggling! And going from manual to mobo trying to figure it out.

Quote:
Hmm they are reversed on mine as far as I can see but if CD is in it boots from it as the default option in amigaboot.of menu

That happens here as well. Something to do with the setup. It somehow skips the CD and goes to HD if CD isn't present.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle