Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  5 mins ago
 amigakit:  17 mins ago
 zipper:  54 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  How to make Amiga OS a leading operating system?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: How to make AmigaOS a leading operating system?
Posted on 13-Oct-2015 16:40:02
#1301 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
I think I had it only for a couple of months

Why did I even ask...

Profile     Report this post  
cdimauro 
Posted on 13-Oct-2015 16:43:49
#1302 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor: well, I used it, and it was unstable. Isn't it enough for this part of the discussion?

saimon69 
Posted on 13-Oct-2015 22:04:21
#1303 ]

@cdimauro

Yeah, had it in my laptop in 2003: was so bad that after one hour of work you could already see the System font (symptom of physical RAM runinng out) despite 192 megabytes on board (was a good amount then), and after two bad disk revalidations i installed a "parallel" version of XP on it: was a little slower but in comparison well solid! (and still that install is there today, that am using this old machine in temporary replacement of my dead Dell laptop)

Last edited by saimon69 on 13-Oct-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Last edited by saimon69 on 13-Oct-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Vistaus 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 12:03:13
#1304 ]

@cdimauro

Why do I have to make a giant list of all the problems and instability that Vista had? The media and people themselves on many forums covered this very well.

But if you want my experience with Vista: I rarely had any programs open (mostly a web browser with a couple of non-heavy websites and Windows Live Messenger) and my laptop kept overheating and causing Vista to reboot. It also continously slowed down like hell (unlike XP, which I had been using in the past). It was a new laptop which came with Vista pre-installed. Just to be clear: it wasn't a hardware problem 'cause when I decided to make the switch to Ubuntu, I never had any overheating anymore, it was running rock solid like it should've been all along. So clearly it was a Vista problem. And I did research it afterwards: there were many, many complaints about overheating and performance on many forums I found during a Google search. I also asked a couple of stores in my city about their experiences and they told me that every day dozens of people came back to the store because they experienced overheating, constant rebooting as a result, and various other performance and instability problems as well. The media and online forums also covered it to a great extent and our government fined MS for all of the problems and suggested that people reinstalled XP on their Vista machines.

So yeah, all of those people on forums and the government and stores recommendations/fine, all a rare kind, I guess because it was so stable and stuff? Sure thing, dude, keep dreaming on...

cdimauro 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 15:40:36
#1305 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Quote:

Vistaus wrote:
@cdimauro

Why do I have to make a giant list of all the problems and instability that Vista had? The media and people themselves on many forums covered this very well.

First you've talked about "instabilities". Now you start with "problems". Generically.

Yes, put a list of them please, because such talking reminds me the usual theories of conspiracy which are so much "evident" that don't need any proof, according to their fans.
Quote:
But if you want my experience with Vista: I rarely had any programs open (mostly a web browser with a couple of non-heavy websites and Windows Live Messenger) and my laptop kept overheating and causing Vista to reboot. It also continously slowed down like hell (unlike XP, which I had been using in the past). It was a new laptop which came with Vista pre-installed. Just to be clear: it wasn't a hardware problem 'cause when I decided to make the switch to Ubuntu, I never had any overheating anymore, it was running rock solid like it should've been all along. So clearly it was a Vista problem. And I did research it afterwards: there were many, many complaints about overheating and performance on many forums I found during a Google search. I also asked a couple of stores in my city about their experiences and they told me that every day dozens of people came back to the store because they experienced overheating, constant rebooting as a result, and various other performance and instability problems as well.

Well, if a computer reboots because of the stress of some software, just software, which is running, then it's the computer which has problems, and not the software.
Quote:
The media and online forums also covered it to a great extent and our government fined MS for all of the problems and suggested that people reinstalled XP on their Vista machines.

So yeah, all of those people on forums and the government and stores recommendations/fine, all a rare kind, I guess because it was so stable and stuff? Sure thing, dude, keep dreaming on...

If it's so evident, then you'll have absolutely no difficulty bringing some FACTs instead of empty words, to support your thesis, right?

Especially if there were some declaration of governments, which I'm pretty curious to read.

Thanks.

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 15:44:56
#1306 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

in one thing he is right... I have a notebook with Win 8 where processor frequently got up and needed some time to configure everything so that it works now without going up and down. But I would not say it is unstable, just that standard configurations sometimes suck and even though Windows it is good to configure it yourself.

cdimauro 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 16:49:24
#1307 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25: nothing to say about it, except that it might be caused by a dirty driver or service, too.

saimon69 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 18:24:56
#1308 ]

@cdimauro

Quote:
If it's so evident, then you'll have absolutely no difficulty bringing some FACTs instead of empty words, to support your thesis, right?

and there we are at why people cannot handle it: in those forums i might say we are at an Italian Bar discussion level (whether is politics or sport or whatever, emotions and tastes get heavily involved and facts get behind)... and not even the chance of a drink or coffee in the middle to mitigate :/

Last edited by saimon69 on 16-Oct-2015 at 06:25 PM.

itix 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 18:52:54
#1309 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Windows XP was certainly better than Vista. In fact it was so good that my work laptop was not upgraded to Windows 7 until end of the last year. With Windows 7 I lost access to some productivity software but they can be executed in VPC when needed.

It seems that about every 2nd or 3rd Windows release is messed up... It is the same with Windows Server. 2008 was great, 2012 is screwed up.

Nevertheless, Windows is for masses.

iggy 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 19:07:47
#1310 ]

@itix

I am typing right now on an updated Win Vista system.
By the time Win7 was current, most issues with Vista were long gone.

And its still supported, Win XP isn't.
Then there is DX10 and DX11, not available for XP, but available for all OS' above that.

Frankly, I don't miss XP that much myself and have a mix of Vista, Win 7, and Win 10 systems (with the COMPLETE avoidance of Win8).

This 'every other version of Windows is messed up' theory started with Win 3.0 (which was flawed resulting in Win3.1).
Win95 wasn't bad and only improved in its second edition.
Dito for Win98.
And for those of you that didn't understand WinME, it was actually a pretty thinly disguised '98 with all the basic drivers included in the install (which made swapping out parts much easier than '98 as you never needed to dig out the install CD).

Hey, totally off topic, but if you have a low profile system or you are dealing with power supply constraints, Quadro K600 cards can be had for as little as $30.
They don't draw much power, can be adapted to half height slots, and perform FAR better than I ever expected.

Last edited by iggy on 16-Oct-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Last edited by iggy on 16-Oct-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Vistaus 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 12:20:24
#1311 ]

@cdimauro

So the hardware was the problem for the constant overheating and rebooting. Then why did it stop overheating and rebooting as soon as I installed Ubuntu on it after three months? I've used Ubuntu on that laptop for a long time and never had any overheating or reboots again anymore, so it clearly was something in Vista, esp. since there were a couple of million of people reporting the same on many different laptops in store all around the city and country. Which is one of the reasons our government started recommending people to downgrade to XP. But you never ever go into the discussion of all those other people, you just ignore that fact I presented you...

Last edited by Vistaus on 17-Oct-2015 at 12:22 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 12:32:30
#1312 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

if the processor becomes too hot there is a emergency shutdown and that can happen if the processor is stressed all the time. But as I wrote a shutdown not automatically rebooting. Vista certainly was not their best idea, I used XP and later Win 7. But Millions of Computers in one country were unstable and rebooting?

Vistaus 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 12:42:53
#1313 ]

@OlafS25

"But Millions of Computers in one country were unstable and rebooting?"

Yes. With Vista they were. With XP and afterwards with 7, all those computers were much more stable and hardly ever rebooted out of the blue. Can't be a coïncedence if it was happening on that many computers from different manufacturers and *only* with Vista...

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 13:30:46
#1314 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

I personal never used Vista so I cannot say much about it except that it was not very popular

cdimauro 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 14:31:44
#1315 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Quote:

Vistaus wrote:
@cdimauro

So the hardware was the problem for the constant overheating and rebooting.

Yes.
Quote:
Then why did it stop overheating and rebooting as soon as I installed Ubuntu on it after three months? I've used Ubuntu on that laptop for a long time and never had any overheating or reboots again anymore,

Fine, it means that Ubuntu didn't stressed so much your system.
Quote:
so it clearly was something in Vista,

Vista is a software. You computer has precise specs, and if it's not able to run Vista without "burning", it means that it has an hardware problem. So you had to go where you've bought, and pretend that they fix it.
Quote:
esp. since there were a couple of million of people reporting the same on many different laptops in store all around the city and country.

Millions, but never reported a single link to prove this monstrously evident problem, right?
Quote:
Which is one of the reasons our government started recommending people to downgrade to XP.

And still no link to prove, right?
Quote:
But you never ever go into the discussion of all those other people, you just ignore that fact I presented you...

Of course: talk is cheap. I'm still waiting for some prove of so much evident issues that your reported.

cdimauro 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 14:32:39
#1316 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Vistaus

I personal never used Vista so I cannot say much about it except that it was not very popular

Whereas I used from its introduction in the market 'til the introduction of 7. NEVER had any problem.

Massi 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 18:35:21
#1317 ]
Cult Member

@All

Normally real Amigans use Window$ only because they are forced to somehow.

And Winzoz doesn' t have a good reputation among the above people and that is why we all should concern about OS4 instead.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 18:54:48
#1318 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

you mean "real amigans" do not live in real world?

And of course they must still hate PCs

Massi 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 18:59:48
#1319 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Am I on Amigaworld.net and is this a thread about OS4 or?

pavlor 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 19:20:27
#1320 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
And of course they must still hate PCs

Of course!

Speaking about that, I like my 486SX notebook. I wrote most of my master thesis on it (that was around 2010...) and it had strong points even in comparison to modern computers: fast for its tasks and silent. However, it was sometimes hard to see enemy in Civilization with greyscale display.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle