Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  23 mins ago
 Rob:  23 mins ago
 A1200:  30 mins ago
 pixie:  35 mins ago
 matthey:  42 mins ago
 sibbi:  57 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  i just realised something.....
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Thorham 
Re: i just realised something.....
Posted on 28-Mar-2015 22:56:46
#81 ]

Used to run WinXp on a 667mhz Pentium 3. Took around one and a half minutes to boot. Long boot times come from letting the OS run ten million things when it boots. Usually all kinds of things that you don't need. The program Starter shows you exactly what gets run when the machine boots, and allows you to turn off everything you don't need.

Showed a guy that program once because his pecee took forever to boot. Turned out that his system was starting 30+ programs.

Really, ten minutes startup time with WinXp is just ridiculous.

Quote:
QuikSanz wrote:

If everyone who wanted to could afford to play Golf all day like our president they would.

If you don't have time for your hobby two hours a day, then you have a very serious problem.

Last edited by Thorham on 28-Mar-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 28-Mar-2015 22:57:36
#82 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

He cant because there is no firefox nor DAW.

@danwood

I remember when I had XP at the work it was booting very long. Maybe it was just two minutes but that two minutes is very long time when you can't start working yet. You just wait and have nothing to do.

Windows 7 is booting very quickly and is often booting faster than some Amigas.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 28-Mar-2015 23:27:50
#83 ]

@Thorham

Quote:

Thorham wrote:

Quote:
QuikSanz wrote:

If everyone who wanted to could afford to play Golf all day like our president they would.

If you don't have time for your hobby two hours a day, then you have a very serious problem.

Key words here are "All Day", not two hours!

edit: grammer

Last edited by QuikSanz on 28-Mar-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Thorham 
Posted on 28-Mar-2015 23:56:03
#84 ]

Quote:
QuikSanz wrote:

Key words here are "All Day", not two hours!

Of course, but who said you have to do something all day long? Having time for hobbies, and doing something all day are two different things.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 0:05:56
#85 ]

@Thorham,

I'm not a coder, however it looks like to get some serious work done on upgrading the system will take just that. We're not even speaking of software yet. It has momentum and I like it! Was online with an Amiga since early 90's and still love the simplicity and customization that other bloated OS's have yet to compete with.

Chris

kolla 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 4:07:39
#86 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Does MorphOS support "WPA2 Enterprise" (802.1x) on the wifi? My PowerBook remains unsupported.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 16:49:52
#87 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Do you remember "Audio Evolution", DaveAE quit selling it to AROS/MorphOS/AmigaOS4.1 because there was no market.

Of all Amiga users it would only be useful for those interested in music production. But it was also hard to use if you didn't know it and it used those annoying tiny fonts for people with good eyesight. The docs also didn't give enough detail, leaving some things to be guessed.

But it had some good features I haven't seen on other DAWs. It may be simple by modern standards. But I tested a lot of DAWs on PPC OSX lately and some just fail to match it. For example with AE you can set a decimal point BPM or set a grid in msecs. That alone craps all over GarageBand (poor mans Logic) which can't even work with a 48HKz sample directly!

Not exactly beat detection or tempo mapping which you need in real music but AE almost got there. Pitty he had to give up the Amiga scene. FWIW he also gave it up on OSX. I don't know why, for ten euro you can't get those features! So it's Windows only on desktop.

Did you know he killed it on Android? It really took off! Considered the best DAW on Android. Is this Worms all over agaion?

fishy_fis 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 17:12:10
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Did you know he killed it on Android? It really took off! Considered the best DAW on Android. Is this Worms all over agaion?

I didn't know about that.
Nice to hear about an amiga-oid programmer having some success with their software, even if it took another platform to do so.

@OP

I think most of us have had similar thoughts/ideas at times. The simple fact is though that amiga/amiga-oid systems are very niche. They don't play well with others most of the time, and have several shortcomings that aren't likely to be fixed anytime soon. Couple that with the very expensive, very slow hardware (at least for os4 and a lesser extent mos), and it really does become a question of whether it offers enough for the individual to stick with the hobby.
Even an X1000 is obscenely underpowered when compared to the rest of the computing world, and it costs a person dozens of times as much for the pleasure of a substandard/slow experience........ *IF* you're trying to compete and/or conform to industry standards.
The only way it's not abhorrent value is if you don't compare it with the rest of the world and don't expect to play on the same field as the rest of the world.
Accept it for what it is and what it offers and it suddenly isn't as depressing.

Going a route other than OS4 also makes it much better value for money, but regardless you cant compare it to the rest of the computing world and still be content. If you want to enjoy the amiga/amiga-oid scene you have to be interested in things other than generic computer use. In that case the amiga systems can be pretty interesting.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 17:39:01
#89 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Of all Amiga users it would only be useful for those interested in music production.

Like people like to work on 3D is only interested in 3D programs, or people who only play games are only interested in games. And people who edit videos are only interested video editing programs.

Therefore, you have small community that divided into smaller sub groups of people.

You think there big interest in getting faster video playback for every user in OS4 community, but there are really not that many that donate, far too few to make it commercial. If nothing else, it has shown me, that it better to spend that time on other platforms.

The time spend writing Amiga software far out way the payback, so unless you have a lots of time, you can just throw away on a hobby, it does not make sense.

Moreover, the skills you gain, coding C on AmigaOS, is not so useful to get yourself a job, companies are not asking for C coders any more, they won't Java coders and web designers.

So when people talk about Amiga world domination, and stuff like that, why don't we just start over, do it again right, they are not grounded to realities, how things are.

With Amiga you find yourself doing work like porting cross platform libraries like svgalib, allegro5, and making utf8.library because things are serially lacking, to make what you want, on other operating systems, you just use what is already there.

So what if I asked for money to complete the Allegro5 port, how many will donate? Is it worth my time? Will get money when it's complete? See what happened to AmiDark engine.

I think that answer to that be, few, no and maybe. Now ask your self way should I?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Mar-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Mar-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Mar-2015 at 05:44 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 17:50:13
#90 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Now ask your self way should I?

Because you want to.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 18:11:28
#91 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

In that case it be just because need it myself, and I don't need it complete because, I need maybe the 5% or 10% I have now, maybe few % more completed, enough to cover the what I need for a game I'm make as a hobby with a friend.

And this Is way instead I spending all my time doing a Allegro port I share the code, so others might be interested in helping out, now there has been no one interested in helping out from other codes, so we are back to square one.

Only improving it when I need something, and only implementing what I need. So by the time I have completed the Allegro5 port we be taking about Allegro7

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Mar-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Mar-2015 at 06:18 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 18:28:08
#92 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@NutsAboutAmiga

So beit, if you only need 10% then only port 10% as long as you make the source available in a repository, as you have, others who need a different part will be able to contribute as they need it.

Too much time is wasted porting toolkits, not enough writting aplications / games and other fun things.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 19:03:00
#93 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Too much time is wasted porting toolkits, not enough writting aplications / games and other fun things.

Absolutely from my point of view, It's more fun for me to make a game then port Allegro5.

From a gamers point of view, I'm not so sure, that 5-10% completed port of Allegro5 is something useful, sure he might get to play my game when it completed, or maybe he get some one else's game, as result of this.

However, gamers will not see a rush of cross platform game ports with a 5-10% completed port of Allegro5.

itix 
Posted on 29-Mar-2015 19:21:57
#94 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

I doubt it because there is now way to enter your credentials.

Massi 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 13:37:53
#95 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga
@All

Quote:
better to spend that time on other platforms.

I think that users should always support developers with DONATIONS, because no developers = no future for the system.

Because of this reason, I want to say here, I am evaluating to stop active development for OS3 / OS4.
Not an easy decision after over 25 years of Amiga.

It is a nonsense continuing like this, working and never getting any feedback, never a small donation to show a bit of gratitude.

Last edited by Massi on 30-Mar-2015 at 01:38 PM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 13:59:10
#96 ]

@Massi
On indieGO appstore, The top 10 devs get 10€ (1000indiecoins) per Month. Not much, but after a year it is 120€. Better than nothing.

Massi 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 14:09:18
#97 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:
On indieGO appstore, The top 10 devs get 10€ (1000indiecoins) per Month. Not much, but after a year it is 120€. Better than nothing.

"Mediocre" applications / games sell 500000 copies on Apple app store (heard from a friend of mine).

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 14:13:42
#98 ]

@Massi
: )
Really? There are 100000 of mediocre games and apps.
Many don't reach the minimum revenue for a payout.
Not as worse as Nintendo wii store where many developers didn't get a payout for the last 6 years (not wii u , wii)

See
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-quarter-of-apps-make-no-money-at-all

Or:

Vblank Entertainment's Brian Provinciano has said on multiple occasions that the latest 3DS version has proven to be a sales success, performing well and enhancing his interest in working on the portable in future. Unfortunately, the WiiWare version hasn't made any money due to the sales threshold on the service and the fact the title arrived — arguably — well after the Wii Shop's prime; Provinciano highlighted the issue to us last March and described the release as a "$20,000 gift to fans", before later clarifying that it had only reached a quarter of its sales target after its first month on sale. The scenario is simple, due to the sales threshold — since abandoned in the eShop stores — no money is given to the developer unless minimum unit sales are achieved, a policy with solid intentions at the Wii Shop's launch but has since backfired.
The one-man studio has now given an update on progress, highlighting how many copies still need to be sold to hit the threshold in both North America and Europe. It needs to hit its target in the first two years of release — so that'll be by 28th February 2015 — or all revenue is lost. The numbers are in the Facebook post below.

-
Amiga market isn't that bad because he could just have launched a bounty for his game : )

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 30-Mar-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 30-Mar-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Thorham 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 14:18:41
#99 ]

To NutsAboutAmiga:

What a bunch of whiny crap If you don't want to spend time writing Amiga software anymore, then don't. Simple. Do you really have to complain about it like this? What a drama

Massi 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 14:24:44
#100 ]
Cult Member

@Thorham

And why one can' t complain? Because you decided so?

He is a dedicated developer and he is welcome to explain his view.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle