Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 172 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 jPV:  47 mins ago
 matthey:  48 mins ago
 AmiKit:  48 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /  Morphos X86
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
KimmoK 
Re: Morphos X86
Posted on 21-May-2015 11:22:48
#21 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

>more than 120 GB RAM in 64bit right now

Would be nice to edit 4k videos on RAM drive.

++

Originally it was superb to have fully 32bit system already in 1987...1992 when the rest of the planet was fighting to overcome the 640k limit.

Last edited by KimmoK on 21-May-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 21-May-2015 at 11:26 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 21-May-2015 11:30:42
#22 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

You would need the software in 64bit Aros and a heavy PC for it

Theoretical (what I am just looking at) you can compile Aros software on the platform you run with GCC (I think it was 6.4.0 or so). So when running Aros 68k you can compile for 68k, on Aros X86 for X86 and the same for ARM and X64. Problem is at the moment this "only" works for X86 and ARM so you can compile the same sources for both. I am just looking at 68k but not yet tested, the same for X64.

If all are synchronized you can support all Aros hardware platforms without changing sources (at least in theory). 64bit is of course a new platform so it has to be seen how that works.

Antiryad is supporting Aros X64 already so it obviously works

Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-May-2015 at 11:32 AM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-May-2015 11:37:33
#23 ]

@KimmoK

I read it as they will support one (at least) chipset, one (at least) CPU, one (at least) GPU. For desktop, for laptop.

You see, these are building blocks. You don't support "motherboards", you support the core components everyone is using to BUILD motherboards, that's what you are writing drivers for. And basically, all manufacturers use the same building blocks to build their systems.

Support the Z97 chipset, and you have supported the core component of a whole flora of motherboards from ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc, etc. Support all three Haswell Core i CPU's (shouldn't be too much of a big deal), and you can multiply all those motherboards with 3. Support one GPU family, and you will have a flora of GFX cards, ranging from budget offerings to top of the line within that architecture, and multiply that with all manufacturers offering GFX cards based on the same GPU. You see?

Building blocks are used in similar way to build laptops as well.

Maybe they will proclaim one make from one brand as being the first supported "machine", both laptop and desktop. As some kind of base level, a way to recommend customers a tested, safe first option. But it won't stop there! The MorphOS license model is growth by constantly supporting more HW!

When MorphOS migrated away from the Amiga, the first system it supported was the Pegasos. Today MorphOS supports 83 computer systems!

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-May-2015 11:49:27
#24 ]

@TRIPOS
Where is the difference to AROS?
AROS has better Memory managment, better graphic System and Support more HW already.

When i startet with AROS, MOS was superior... now the more HW they "try" to Support the more Problems occour for them as well.

Some People went back to 3.7 for now because of bugs... (where was the polishing always used as Argument against AROS?)

where are the moaners who moan about AROS being unfinished? : )

Just port over Ambient and you are done... you know what? Zune will get the missing functionality and than Ambient will just be there. (for those who care)

I came only twice in touch with MOS:
1. EFIKA was nice but gave me nothing to stay
2. Mac Mini... was loud as hell... moooooo woooooooo the fan was crying like a idiot. Try Google docs... wooooooo woooooooo woooo....

MOS is better placed on a SAM460 which can run silently.

AresOne and imica used the same Basic Drivers (Family) and the worked fine since years as well.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-May-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-May-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-May-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-May-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-May-2015 at 11:50 AM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 21-May-2015 11:56:01
#25 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

I guess we have to wait and see what comes.
(Not all on those 83 computer systems are supported either. But thanks, first time I saw so clearly said that my PowerBook does not have sound (very nice even without sound, though).)

@phoenix
>2. Mac Mini... was loud as hell....... Try Google docs... wooooooo woooooooo woooo....

Some sound at least.
(opening my mini's and cleaning and greasing bearings of the FAN is on my todo list, to see if...)

@Olaf

>You would need the software in 64bit Aros and a heavy PC for it

Or AmigaLike OS (where I control application priorities) and time.

Once I did some rendering on my A2k with 3MB RAM. Rendering did not slow me down doing anything I wanted to do in the meanwhile in AOS (during those days, oouunnnleeyy amiiiggaaaaahh....).
(I just had to choose apps that I know are stable, otherwise I ended up restarting the rendering...)

Last edited by KimmoK on 21-May-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 21-May-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 21-May-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 21-May-2015 at 11:58 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-May-2015 11:59:29
#26 ]

@OlafS25

Sometimes I think you "misunderstand" on purpose? Anyway, bolting on some silly SMP onto the old Amiga model (that never was made for it) where it hangs out like some appendix, and stuff like that, is what I call "Franken-OS". It won't have the benefits of being genuinely native and compatible, but it won't have the benefits of being genuinely clean and state-of-the-art modern either. A mish-mash. Like Frankenstein. But maybe AROS has now been rewritten with true SMP, where all internal OS components and third party applications (that makes sense) are multithreaded (and NOT like running one app entirely on one core, and another app on a second core, etc), where everything is 64-bit down to the core, where there is true memory protection ("good to have" in a true SMP system, right?) and resource tracking, etc...? If that's the case, AROS would indeed be the first true NG OS, but I suppose I must have missed that memo...?

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:00:56
#27 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

If I read the description of Ambient it sounds like a description of Magellan except is not based on MUI (but Themeing works). I do not see the need for Ambient except that some MorphOS user have the chance to get the environment they are comforted to.

I cannot compare directly but even MorphOS user donated to Magellan because it offers features that are not available in Ambient.

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:02:16
#28 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Was your description announced?

I must have missed that either

as long as you do not have real insider-knowledge you are deep in speculations and "personal wish and dream" terrain. I talk about things that are on the plate or available already and you talk about fantasy right now. I guess you know more than the devs

BTW multithreading is not easy to use and a nightmare to debug. I have looked at it on Windows. Even there I doubt that there are many applications using it and you have to develop the software special for it. It would certainly be plenty of fun to use it on a platform with only text editors for development.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-May-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-May-2015 at 12:04 PM.

megol 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:23:17
#29 ]

@cdimauro

Intel64 is a misnomer. Intel was more or less forced to accept the AMD extension by Microsoft (which also was involved somewhat in the design phase of it). Intel64 would be the correct term for the Itanium architecture though.

IA 32 -> Intel Architecture 32 -> what is commonly known as x86.
IA 64 -> Intel Architecture 64 -> what Intel calls the Itanium.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:44:35
#30 ]

@phoenixkonsole

MorphOS 3.8 had bugs, so AROS is the world champion? Wow, that's an example of some fine logic right there...

And you talk about PPC and old Macs in a thread entirely devoted to MorphOS going x86???

And frankly I wasn't aware that AROS supported more than 83 separate systems, natively. That was news to me, maybe someone should compile a list? Would be useful for many people I suppose. Natively of course meaning NOT(!) running hosted on top of a Linux kernel with Linux drivers or in a virtual machine (which IMHO is part of the Frankenstein syndrome AROS suffers from - boot up a Linux kernel, run AROS on top of that, and an Amiga emulator on top of AROS, the Amiga applications inside this, and enjoy the "SMP", "64-bit", etc in full!).

Look, I don't mean to piss on the AROS glory parade. I'm sure you're having fun developing it. Maybe someone is actually using it as well. For something. But this is a thread about MorphOS going x86, something that will happen in an unknown future, what it will be and when it will get here is unknown, so please don't come to this thread mocking PPC H/W (hardly anyone in the MorphOS camp has been cheering for PPC for the last 7 years or so, not even its developers), talking about bugs in 3.8 (as they would matter in a future MorphOS x86 version).

Please!

It's all just so... strange! And... eh, misplaced!

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:45:04
#31 ]

@OlafS25

Of course I'm speculating! But it's not that some things aren't known, you know. Point is, you are speculating just as much, but in the other direction!

And I haven't got a clue why you bother...?

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:45:31
#32 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
If I read the description of Ambient it sounds like a description of Magellan except is not based on MUI (but Themeing works). I do not see the need for Ambient except that some MorphOS user have the chance to get the environment they are comforted to.

Oh, you've read a description of Ambient? So I suppose you are a well-educated man, then?

I remember Magellan. I used that on early version of MorphOS, some 10-15 years ago, before Ambient was particularly developed. I hear that some people still do sometimes, for some specific tasks. But it really offers few features that the native Ambient doesn't (can't think of anything in particular I'd personally like from Magellan myself), and the level of Ambient integration in the OS is powerful and quite beautiful!

I'm glad that you are happy about finally having Magellan on your system though! And I think it's fine that you like your AROS hobby as well.

Happy happy, joy joy...

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:46:26
#33 ]

Anyway, the topic of this thread is: "Morphos X86"...

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-May-2015 12:48:12
#34 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

You too

both have their flaws and the race has just started

BTW I saw Ambient/MorphOS running on a Mac Mini. Really looking good.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-May-2015 at 12:49 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 21-May-2015 13:25:58
#35 ]
Cult Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:

I remember Magellan. I used that on early version of MorphOS, some 10-15 years ago, before Ambient was particularly developed. I hear that some people still do sometimes, for some specific tasks. But it really offers few features that the native Ambient doesn't (can't think of anything in particular I'd personally like from Magellan myself), and the level of Ambient integration in the OS is powerful and quite beautiful!

Well.. I have Magellan2 integrated with Ambient all the time, and I mostly do the stuff in Magellan2 still.

Magellan2 still has some superior features or implementations of features compared to Ambient. For example I can't live without Magellan2's version of inline-editing, its fully customizable lister toolbar/menu, its system wide global hotkeys (Ambient's only work when Ambient is active), Magellan2's startmenus are way more configurable than Ambient's Panels, filename/path copying works out of the box, build-in FTP, etc. Ambient has picked up certain "most wanted" featuers, but haven't implemented them all in the depth of Magellan2.

But Ambient's plus side is of course that it's installed by default, has more modern features especially on visual side, and some features more streamlined than in Magellan2.

But anyway, they both coexist nicely, I have Magellan2's features (startmenus, hotkeys, listers, etc) available over the Ambient screen, so I can use whichever I want always. I also have configured some Magellan2 filetypes so that they will open according the Ambient mimetypes. For example movies and pictures are shown in Magellan2 the way they are configured in Ambient, I can open Magellan2 locations on the Ambient windows with a one click (kind of switch of view), etc.

I just can't live without either of them. In the perfect world one program would have all the features I need, but because it's not the case, I'll keep using both :)

Chain-Q 
Posted on 21-May-2015 13:36:55
#36 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole
Quote:
AROS has better Memory managment

Citation needed.

Quote:
better graphic System

Citation needed.

Quote:
and Support more HW already

OK, that's probably true, because for some twisted reason, if AROS runs on something in hosted mode, it's already considered "supported"...

Quote:
Some People went back to 3.7 for now because of bugs...

And there are exactly the same number of happy people, because of the number of bugs fixed (G5 improvements, more RAM, etc...) And well, most of the people with problems used unsupported hardware, like flashed-from-PC R300 cards. They were accidentally working, now accidentally not any more. There are some WiFi issues, which are weird, because it works for some people in exactly the same setup (obviously, developers and betatesters had zero issues before release). There will be a bugfix update soon, as always with bigger MorphOS updates.

So, you are spreading FUD. Stop it.

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-May-2015 13:45:53
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Chain-Q

there is the compatiblity list and there are more boards on it, just not every hardware combination fully supported.

If we would use "hosted" as supported then we could count every hardware available.

MorphOS is a good OS with advantages and disadvantages, AROS is a OS with advantages and disadvantages. MorphOS is heavily optimized for PPC but runs nowhere else, AROS even on orginal Amigas (without anything PPC related).

And BTW it is natural the more hardware is supported the more difficult it becomes to test every combination. You must not react feeling personal insulted by that. The same is true for AmigaOS having lots of problems now. Why Pascal that mentioned was because exactly that point was used against Aros, it is "buggy, alpha and unstable and years behind" (some spread this nonsense till today). Now the more hardware is supported all get into trouble.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-May-2015 13:52:48
#38 ]

@TRIPOS
Driver wise (number Count) AROS offers more.
Apple used often the same HW on all modells so it is like adding all Mainboards using the same HDAUDIO and Realtek NICs together.

Than AROS would hit the 1000 or more compatible Systems.

: )
I didn't start bringing AROS to the table, i've just reacted.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-May-2015 13:57:35
#39 ]

@Chain-Q
FUD for life : )
Same FUD AROS get's why not MOS as well ; )

Memory..
G5 Monster can't address more than XXX RAM..
Is it on 1GB or 1.5GB?

Better graphic System:
AresOne m1000 C60 1GHZ with a Geforce 8400 pees on a G5 every Frame.

---------
troll mode over ; )

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-May-2015 at 01:58 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 21-May-2015 14:10:43
#40 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:

Memory..
G5 Monster can't address more than XXX RAM..
Is it on 1GB or 1.5GB?

It can address the same amount than other MorphOS systems too. 2GB for the Quark kernel and 1.5GB for ABox (user sees this).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle