Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 174 guest(s) on-line.
 4 member(s) on-line.

jPV, pixie, AmiKit, more...

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  22 secs ago
 jPV:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 AmiKit:  4 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  25 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  27 mins ago
 Karlos:  34 mins ago
 Hypex:  47 mins ago
 OldFart:  56 mins ago
 Vidar:  1 hr 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Free Windows 10 upgrade
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Arnie 
Re: Free Windows 10 upgrade
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 10:48:42
#21 ]
Cult Member

@thread

The way I see it is that Microsoft wants everyone on the same system and not have a repeat of the XP problem where users are clinging on for dear life even though its no longer supported.

It also seems they may be changing the way they upgrade the OS in the future to smaller rolling releases and upgrades rather than a big new version every few years with just patches in between, this is to bring out newer ideas earlier.
This could become a subscription service where an annual fee gets you the latest upgrades and patches - stop paying and your system becomes out of date, but for it to work they need everyone to be using Windows 10 to start with so they are dangling the carrot.

One thing is for sure, Microsoft are only offering this for 1 year after that it will start charging again and I suspect all those who go for it will have some fee to pay in order to keep their upgraded machines up to date from then on.

Profile     Report this post  
gregthecanuck 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 10:55:41
#22 ]
Cult Member

@Arnie

I fully expect the 1 year limit will be extended another 6 months to a year. At the moment MS is looking at things through the old rose-coloured glasses.

At the moment they are forecasting a fairly aggressive adoption rate. Will that really come to pass? Stay tuned to find out...

itix 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 11:03:20
#23 ]
Elite Member

@gregthecanuck

Uhm, jst write software for XP or Winows 7 and it will run on newer systems, too. If you are isn't .NET framework just use version available to old systems.

Windows phone is dying so it is not an issue at all.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 11:22:42
#24 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@LimoU.Sin

Quote:
I hate so-called App stores, I actually hate everything that uses the word App! Who the heck came up with such a silly word as APP?

Just a lazy mans way of saying application. In my day you called it a program but you didn't see pro stores rock up or people go on about pros.

But "app" is an old term as it has been used in the Amiga scene for years. I'm sure I read it in some Amiga guide from 20 years back or so but can't remember exactly what it was.

Also, I hope it doesn't upset you to find OS4.1 has the APPDIR!

So has OS4 very little to do with Commodore Amiga anyways, close to zero to do with Commodore Amiga.

I took a search on my Amiga partitions and didn't get a single result on the silly sound or word APP.

App is a relatively new word and certainly in relation to the Amiga. I can not remember seeing App has ever been used in combination with anything Amiga related, even the use of application has been very uncommon.

Maybe it doesn't sound that silly to you, but from my point of view/sound, I don't think there is even a single other animal in the whole world making such a silly sound as APP.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 12:28:08
#25 ]

There is a App directory on Aminet with old files "util/app - Appicons, appwindows (73 packages)" I have never registered before, but it looks like most of the files are misplaced.
http://aminet.net/search?f=2&path=util/app&start=0

(edit) Now i remember!
"Icons you can drop
icons on are called AppIcons. My tool AppIcon gives you
the possibility, to create very easely an AppIcon and
execute a program with the dropped icon as parameter.

For that you can supply an icon name for the image you want
to see as icon on the workbench, a command string with
placeholders for the dropped files, a position for the icon
and a name for the icon. This can be done via tooltypes or
parameters when using the shell."

What the hack has this got to do with it?

Last edited by LimoU.Sin on 25-Jul-2015 at 12:45 PM.

DWolfman 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 13:32:12
#26 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@thinkchip

After reading this thread what happened to Windows 9? No one has mentioned it. Is it like a 68040 jump to a 68060 and was dropped? Perhaps because MS didn't want to confuse it with Windows 9x?

During early development of Windows 10, they were going to make it 9 or something similar.

Then they realized in order to keep compatibility with a large chunk of older software they could not make it version 9. Reason: A lot of legacy apps that were made to also install on Windows 95/98 had pretty stupid installers. They used some pretty simple comparison methods such that seeing "Windows 9" would make it think it was installing on "Windows 95", for example. As such the install would fail because you can't use that method of installing on anything since at least Windows XP.

So they skipped 9 and went straight for 10.

DWolfman 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 13:34:47
#27 ]

@klx300r

Quote:

klx300r wrote:
no xp mode than no Windows 10 for me.

It should still work on it. I'll try it out on my laptop in the Win10 Preview install I have and let everyone know (still got all those files for setting it up).

damocles 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 14:15:19
#28 ]

@LimoU.Sin

Quote:

LimoU.Sin wrote:
@mcbone

Yes I think so too. It was a heck going from XP to 7, had to reinstall everything. The positive side was that 7 was much better than Vista if you configured 7 to behave like XP. Windows 10 has probably some things I would like to have later but not yet.

I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 Insider Preview (build 10130) without any issues. Everything is pretty much running normal under Win10 which greatly surprised me.

thinkchip 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 15:06:51
#29 ]

@thread

I totally agree about "apps". It's a word that appeals to the computer illiterate because it sounds techy without being geeky. "Application" and "program" sounds too geeky. I think of Apps as software toys. My "apps" are Lightwave and Photoshop. Hardy what you'd call "toys". I don't have any apps and I don't go to an apps store unless I have to. On the subject of Windows 10, it seems like it might have face recognition too. At least a way of identifying users without passwords. It seemed like some pretty major stuff.

DWolfman 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 15:22:07
#30 ]

@thread

So a little experimenting later...

Setting up XP Mode on anything after Windows 7 is not easy. The XPMode installer specifically blocks the self-extraction routines if you aren't installing on Win 7, even when trying through Compatibility options. Also, Virtual PC (which it was designed for) won't install on 8 or newer.

But, 7Zip is able to extract the relevant files so you can then use the virtual HD file in another virtualization software. Download the XPMode file from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

Then extract that to a folder. Next go into that folder to Sources\xpm, and use 7Zip to extract the files inside the XPM file. The only file you really need is the 1.12 GB file named VirtualXPVHD. Copy that to where you want it and rename it VirtualXP.vhd

Now, I set up Hyper V in Win 10 to test this, and was able to make a VM with tat VHD as the boot disk. It's kinda clunky to set up in Hyper V, but not impossible. I had it booting in just a few minutes, but it wanted to activate Win XP after it booted, so I'm not sure it really worked right.

Now, I'm getting VirtualBox 5.0 set up on it to try it there. I've run it before in VirtualBox on an older version and it worked fine, no activation needed, so that might be the better way. Will let everyone know shortly.

Last edited by DWolfman on 25-Jul-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 17:14:16
#31 ]
Elite Member

@LimoU.Sin

Quote:
So has OS4 very little to do with Commodore Amiga anyways, close to zero to do with Commodore Amiga

It's more to do with the OS. They gave up on the hardware.

Quote:
App is a relatively new word and certainly in relation to the Amiga. I can not remember seeing App has ever been used in combination with anything Amiga related, even the use of application has been very uncommon.

It would be from the OS2/OS3 times.

Quote:
What the hack has this got to do with it?

You got it! Yes, AppIcons and AppWindows. I think those were the apps I was thinking of.

DWolfman 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 17:16:33
#32 ]

@thread

Hmm, seems the activation is going to be an issue. The key that comes with XP Mode will only work if the virtual machine is running in Windows Virtual PC (the version they made for Windows 7). Older Virtual PC builds and Hyper V won't let that key work (it's a special OEM key, looks for markers that only show up in Windows Virtual PC).

So, even if you wanted to use XP Mode, you'd almost be better off just setting up a new virtual machine with a valid XP license key, with whatever VM software you want to use.

duga 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 17:24:43
#33 ]

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:

Windows phone is dying so it is not an issue at all.

We'll see about that.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 17:26:23
#34 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Quote:
They used some pretty simple comparison methods such that seeing "Windows 9" would make it think it was installing on "Windows 95", for example.

That sounds ridiculous. Why aren't they they looking at a version number? Then again the console-setup from Ubuntu, based on Debian, got confused and corrupted my AmigaOne keyboard layout because it found "Amiga" in "AmigaOne" and thought it was an Amiga!

But it also begs the question, why are people trying to install Windows 9x software on a modern Windows anyway? Everytime I read or hear about people trying to use old software the result is almost always the same with the software not working or broken in some way. And the only solution is to run a virtual box or just emnulate an old PC, on the PC. As ridiculous as that sounds.

Bugala 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 18:55:45
#35 ]
Cult Member

@Reason for free

Seems to me like they did a smart move there. I think they anticipapted that people are reviewing Windows negatively right now and first bigger batch of people would be considering moving to alternative OSes, and perhaps Google or someone would grab for the opportunity.

Also, when I think of when have i bought any Windows, it have basically always been for a new machine. So when they give me Windows 10 for free, they are not losing anything, since I probably wouldnt have bought it anyway until i had changed to new machine again, but this way they can make me take a leap of faith towards windows 10 instead of being worried if it is any good etc.

For example, last time i bought a macine, I didnt buy Windows 8, since that didnt seem good enough, and I havent installed win10 yet, since I am worried it would be same.

However, all this feedback here is starting to convince me that i might soon install it to this machine.

One thing that I am still worried, and was even worried of taking Windows 7 was, that it seemed that at that time it still read on many games on Good old games that they wouldnt work on windows 7 (i suppose they all work by now). But how is this with Windows 10? Do all Good old Games - games work on Windows 10 just fine?

And that Good old Games is another example to why giving free is a good idea. When Windows 7 was still somewhat new, there werent that many users that Good old Games would have took a big push to get their games fixed for windows 7, and that was a reason i was even considering getting XP instead of even 7.

Now that there is free 10, there be plenty of people using it, and I am pretty sure that if there is any problems with Good Old Games - games with Win10, they will take extra effort to fix it, since there is so much demand, and that makes me more assured that I can safely take win10 to my machine.

Or to put it otherwise. If i would be buying a new machine today, i would take windows 10 to it. However, if they wouldnt have given windows 10 for free, and it had been now on sale for couple of months the way previous ones were, i would rather take windows 7 for a new machine just to play for sure.

PR 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 19:07:02
#36 ]

Does all the adware work too?

marko 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 21:04:58
#37 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

About App or apps...

App is short for application software for computers,
and the word app is also used for applications on mobile devices.

There's also "apps" for webrowser, NAS devices, ..., ...

More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App#Computing

It's like prog or prg of program..

Perhaps we should have ProgStore for Amiga...

/Oops, end of offtopic.

Last edited by marko on 25-Jul-2015 at 09:07 PM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 1:09:59
#38 ]

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@LimoU.Sin

Quote:

LimoU.Sin wrote:
@mcbone

Yes I think so too. It was a heck going from XP to 7, had to reinstall everything. The positive side was that 7 was much better than Vista if you configured 7 to behave like XP. Windows 10 has probably some things I would like to have later but not yet.

I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 Insider Preview (build 10130) without any issues. Everything is pretty much running normal under Win10 which greatly surprised me.

Its Very, what can i call it, "custom-made" to my usage regarding productivity software from many different "generations". I think I'll wait and see and do some deep research first.

Last edited by LimoU.Sin on 26-Jul-2015 at 01:10 AM.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 1:11:44
#39 ]

@marko

No, this is what the silly word App is.

An app is almost the same as a program on a computer. The main difference from a regular program is that downloading, payment and installation is made easier and done via an app-store program running on a smartphone.

And by the way, wasn't PRG the file format for programs on the Commodore 64?

Last edited by LimoU.Sin on 26-Jul-2015 at 02:51 AM.

KermitTheFrogman 
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 9:01:36
#40 ]

@LimoU.Sin

'a single animal in the whole world making such a silly sound as APP'
Well, I hate that word too. it sounds like a small puppy Yapping !
Way back in the 1970's, I wrote Programs for mainframes, not 'Apps ' !
Mobile phonespeak strikes again !
On the subject of Windows 10 download, if each one is to be tied to a particular machine and ,say, someone has four machines on Win 7, does that mean four separate large downloads ? If so, I won't bother !

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle