Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 64 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 RobertB:  37 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 1 min ago
 number6:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 outlawal2:  5 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Free Windows 10 upgrade
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jupp3 
Re: Free Windows 10 upgrade
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 15:37:30
#41 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:
Since I have three computers that run Windows I will save $300.

Also, you could have installed the pre-release version for free in the past (probably not possible by now), which I did, as a test on one system (not really using windows, but that's probably better platform than XP I had in the past, if I'll ever end up having to port some code to Windows, for example)

Sure, I guess it's still quite a bit unclear what will happen with these installations in the future, but I think they will remain usable...

Well, first time I had to reboot it, I managed to break the "shut down" button (would just flash, whenever the reboot / shut down button was supposed to appear), but I guess this is just normal state whenever Microsoft releases anything "final"?

So some impressions this far:

I live in Finland, and as usual, wanted english version. Still, it ended up somehow "half-english half-finnish", with f.ex. date on lock screen written in finnish instead. Why? No idea. Probably even Microsoft isn't respecting whatever user has set up in the preferences, but makes a "language guesstimate" based on IP address or something.

Also, when selecting Search, I get some "Sorry, I'm not available in your region" text, which I assume is for Cortana voice search. Sure, I understand, that it won't somehow automatically work with every language in the world. But remember, that my installation (and even the printed error message!) is in english...

Well, wouldn't have had any need for that anyway. Just Microsoft trying to throw useless features at my face

As default, the OS itself looks rather ugly, but I guess Win8 is even worse, so it's an improvement. Then again, I haven't spent any effort trying to clean it up yet, would be quick start to throw all those ugly tiles off the start menu...

And worst thing, it broke up grub boot menu. This has been an issue with Microsoft operating systems for a really long time, would have expected this to get fixed long time ago already, but apparently not...

Well, rather negative this far, isn't it? But there are actually some things I like (compared to earlier windows experiences) so few words on them.

The boot time is ok. Could be faster, and wouldn't have been surprised if it was way slower. And not even any fake "let's just pretend to shut down and do hibernate instead when user clearly selects shut down" like Vista did as default (Remember the first time on a laptop after installing the primary OS... "Okay, how do I get back to the primary OS? I just rebooted, and there was no grub menu...")

Whenever I first installed Firefox, it asked "do you want to set as default?", sure, anything is better than Project Spartan, which still seems rather "in progress".

It didn't do that.

Why is that good? Many "malware-ish" programs automatically hijack default application status, even if you already told them previously not to (f.ex. seen iTunes hijack default app status for mp3 etc. a few times). Now, whenever it would have been "done automatically" in the past, the OS opens relevant prefs. There you 1)Can make the selection, which needs more effort, sure. but... 2)See that some program was "trying to act againist your will" and choose to do nothing instead.

This I haven't actually tested at all, but read of it at few sources. There's some global "update system" that can automatically download & install updates. Well, there's been one in Windows for ages. But the difference is, it would be for ALL programs. So no longer need for every app having their own "update checker" running on your system, displaying (different) update requests whenever something is updated etc. but instead, everything would be handled in an uniform way.

The only worry I have here is... You can't really turn off automatic updates for Windows. Well, that is understandable and ok. But not, if that also goes for 3rd party softwares. It's not that rare for newer software to "take steps in completely wrong directions", and most of the (sane) userbase actually prefering the old version instead. Also, I'm a bit worried that some automatic updates might also drag in some unwanted & unrelated "extras" (ask toolbar, quicktime, even bitcoin miners, you know...)

also, the control panel is still a complete mess. Luckily, there's still search, which has been the best way to find anything there for a really long time...

-EDIT-

And since Microsoft is now on the same exact version number as MacOS, and will bypass it next, maybe they will finally persuade Apple to make the first major OS version bump since... 2001? Well, it's really been that long... Would be about time!

Last edited by Jupp3 on 26-Jul-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 16:34:42
#42 ]

@itix

Quote:
Windows phone is dying so it is not an issue at all.

Microsoft is trying really hard to pretend that it isn't.

As for the previous mentioned issue of Win7 and Windows Phone support being mutually exclusive, most developers probably choose Win7, as Windows Phone is mostly irrelevant. If enough Win7 users change to Win10, then some might drop Win7 support (and code Windows Phone compatible way instead).

As for the hardware requirements, remember that they're (supposedly) the same as were for Windows 7.

And that (afaik) includes "Windows 7 Starter Edition", which was released on Intel Atom systems with Max. 1GB of ram...

I'm pretty sure that would be a rather painful experience, but if the OS runs on that at all, it should be usable with 2x, or 4x the RAM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 19:19:27
#43 ]

@marko

Quote:

marko wrote:
About App or apps...

Perhaps we should have ProgStore for Amiga...

That still leaves the problem of where to get our utilities, commodities, tools, commands, scripts, libraries, datatypes, devices and handlers. :-p

Aminet's library system ftw!

Quote:
/Oops, end of offtopic.

You wish!

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 20:18:51
#44 ]

If you Downgrade to Windows 10, Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts disappears!

You will also lose the mediacenter DVD movie support and and even the diskdrive will stop working! What will be next, that we lose the hard drives too?

http://www.neowin.net/news/here-are-the-features-that-will-no-longer-work-when-you-upgrade-to-windows-10

Last edited by LimoU.Sin on 26-Jul-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Last edited by LimoU.Sin on 26-Jul-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 26-Jul-2015 22:00:40
#45 ]

@LimoU.Sin

Quote:
You will also lose the mediacenter DVD movie support

Not that I'd want to defend this decision in any way, but isn't that rather useless for DVD playback anyway? Or can you somehow disable region restrictions from it?

The other items on the list are of course "less nice". Although I guess you might get some of the removed software working, if you just copy it back?

-EDIT-

Quote:
Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts disappears!

From the page you linked:

Quote:
Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”

So from the sound of it, there are replacements available. Probably different than the old ones.

Might be a "trick" to force people to try Windows store (I assume that's where you can get them, probably for free?)

Quote:
even the diskdrive will stop working!

From the same source as earlier:

Quote:
If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.

Perhaps some API change, that makes the old drivers to these 3rd party devices incompatible?

So, overall, from the sound of it, your games might be a bit different (I assume they were changed periodically in the past already?), and you lose a practically useless DVD player, and need to download a free player, which you had to download in the past anyway, if you were any serious DVD movie fan.

Big deal.

I'm sure there are some serious flaws in Win10, but these are not among them.

Last edited by Jupp3 on 26-Jul-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 27-Jul-2015 7:28:58
#46 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

After reading this thread what happened to Windows 9? No one has mentioned it. Is it like a 68040 jump to a 68060 and was dropped? Perhaps because MS didn't want to confuse it with Windows 9x?

Because 7 8 9

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 27-Jul-2015 15:38:25
#47 ]

@Jupp3
Quote:
Quote:
Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts disappears!

From the page you linked:

Quote:
Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”

So from the sound of it, there are replacements available. Probably different than the old ones.

Might be a "trick" to force people to try Windows store (I assume that's where you can get them, probably for free?)

Yes you can download from Microsoft APP-store as an App.

But its a very bad trick, what about the game statistics and high scores? Solitaire is played 1681 times here!

I have played Hearts 1053 times and have a win percentage of 34%, I cannot stop until I have a 50% winning percentage although I know that 25% is enough to beat the computers three AI players but i must have 50%!...

Many lose the ability to stop updates seems a bit more serious, however.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jul-2015 16:42:01
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:
Because 7 8 9

Exactly my point. But here 9 is missing.

This may give a clue. Windows OSX. A self-fulfilling Prophecy?

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/this-is-what-happened-to-windows-9-2014-10

olegil 
Posted on 27-Jul-2015 17:28:23
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

eight is pronounced the same way as ate. so seven ate nine, which is why it's missing.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Arnie 
Posted on 27-Jul-2015 18:06:11
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Jupp3

Quote:

And worst thing, it broke up grub boot menu. This has been an issue with Microsoft operating systems for a really long time, would have expected this to get fixed long time ago already, but apparently not...

Microsoft have no intention of doing so, they only want Windows on your machine so will always replace what ever boot loader you use with the windows one. If you want to dual boot with something else you either have to always install windows first then the other operating system or at least have a boot loader repair disk handy to fix grub after installing Windows.

Things have been made worse for some these days as secure boot can stop all that haven't been certified by Microsoft from booting at all. Fortunately I don't think any hardware manufactures have stopped you from turning it of yet so you can still install what you like. But it could change if Microsoft stipulate the only way to get an OEM licence for hardware is to have secure boot fixed so it can't be turned of. But then it could back fire on them as all the hardware manufacturers could give them the 2 finger salute and sell OS free or with Linux installed instead.

cdimauro 
Posted on 27-Jul-2015 20:44:06
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Quote:

Arnie wrote:
@Jupp3

Quote:

Microsoft have no intention of doing so, they only want Windows on your machine so will always replace what ever boot loader you use with the windows one. If you want to dual boot with something else you either have to always install windows first then the other operating system or at least have a boot loader repair disk handy to fix grub after installing Windows.

Why Microsoft has to spend money supporting the boot of other o.ses? Are you paying for it?
Quote:
Things have been made worse for some these days as secure boot can stop all that haven't been certified by Microsoft from booting at all.

That's another urban legend. The only thing which Microsoft asks is that it has to be enabled for booting Windows 10.

It does NOT prevent that other o.ses. boot: that's simply FUD.
Quote:
Fortunately I don't think any hardware manufactures have stopped you from turning it of yet so you can still install what you like.

That's the crude reality: it's up to the OEMs, NOT Microsoft, to decide if they let the user change the setting or nothing.
Quote:
But it could change if Microsoft stipulate the only way to get an OEM licence for hardware is to have secure boot fixed so it can't be turned of.

See above: with the new contract Microsoft only asks that Secure Boot has to be enable for booting Windows 10.
Quote:
But then it could back fire on them as all the hardware manufacturers could give them the 2 finger salute and sell OS free or with Linux installed instead.

There are already other Linux distros which are DIGITALLY SIGNED and that can boot with Secure Boot enabled.

You spread a lot of lies and FUD against your "enemy".

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Jul-2015 16:24:15
#52 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Older Windows version chewing up newer Windows version is a worry.

PR 
Posted on 28-Jul-2015 17:33:32
#53 ]

Now it's the time to strike with the new AOS!

Purely madness to upgrade a working Win7 (quite new) that has good components just thinks here.
Having problems to find stuff as used to Opus but just a surfing machine for work..

Jupp3 
Posted on 5-Aug-2015 19:23:42
#54 ]

@Arnie

Quote:
Fortunately I don't think any hardware manufactures have stopped you from turning it of yet so you can still install what you like.

For X86 hardware sold as "Windows 7/8 compatible", Microsoft actually required, that the end user MUST be able to turn the secure boot off.

With "Windows 10 hardware", however, Microsoft gives hardware manufacturers free choice, whether or not disable it. I wonder how clearly that will be stated when you buy a new computer? Building from components should be the safest choice.
Quote:
But it could change if Microsoft stipulate the only way to get an OEM licence for hardware is to have secure boot fixed so it can't be turned of

Actually, Microsoft has demanded that it must be impossible to turn secure boot off on any ARM devices that come with Windows 8. Yeah yeah, I know what you are thinking, "it's ok because it's arm"

But the fact stays, they do already demand such restrictions in some cases. Afaik on Android, manufacturers are free to do whatever they like. Apple is obviously closed.

As for free updates, apparently they are tied to your current hardware. No idea how much you can change it before it stops working. I find it somewhat scary that they discuss memory, and at no point the Microsoft representative says "Well, you can change memory as much as you like..."

hotrod 
Posted on 5-Aug-2015 20:04:58
#55 ]
Elite Member

@LimoU.Sin

You've developed a gaming habbit... perhaps you should do something else with your freetime?

Darrin 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 1:25:37
#56 ]
Team Member

@hotrod

Quote:
You've developed a gaming habbit... perhaps you should do something else with your freetime?

Minesweeper?!

hotrod 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 4:11:00
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Darrin

lol :D

KimmoK 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 9:53:06
#58 ]
Elite Member

almost related....
It seems I can buy Win8.1 PRO (with upgrade option) for EUR69.
Perhaps I should, for Elite Dangerous system...

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Overflow 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 10:04:06
#59 ]

Only installed Win10 a couple of days ago, and due busy RL I haven't had the time to familiarize myself with it a whole lot.

BUT my first impression is more favorable than with Win 8.1.

Ive been a long time Win7 user. Installed Win 8.1 a while ago. Gave it a chance and kept it on my machine for a couple of months. At the end of it all I reinstalled Win7.

Just design/layout like Win10 seems like a mix of Win7 and 8, which is fine with me. There are several smaller issues that I find mildly annoying, but that's PROBARLY something personal tweaking of the OS will sort out.

And I should say I'm not a "MS fanboi". I have considered going in the Linux direction, and will most certainly do so if MS ever becomes Apple-like with restrictions.

But so far the overall impression of Win10 is a positive one.

Quote:

With "Windows 10 hardware", however, Microsoft gives hardware manufacturers free choice, whether or not disable it. I wonder how clearly that will be stated when you buy a new computer? Building from components should be the safest choice.

Well, personally Ive always built my own computers from parts, and upgraded them as I went along. Again, if MS (or any OS) makes it impossible/troublesome to do selfbuilds, then that OS will no longer find a home on my harddrive.

I do realise that "selfbuilders"and people enjoying complete freedom to do as they like within a OS are most likely the minority. Most of the people I know could not care less about what kind of restrictions the OS puts on them.
They do not push the OS enough to ever hit their head against limitations.
"Far to many" people are quite oblivious regarding what their apps on iPhone/Samsung/laptop/tablet do. As long as they can play their songs on ITunes/Spotify, and easily access their money with bank apps etc they are content.
When I bring up terms like "keyloggers" and trjoans, vunerabilties in their programs it doesn't resonate. For the most part, people doesnt want to understand how it works, as long as it "works".

Last edited by Overflow on 06-Aug-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Last edited by Overflow on 06-Aug-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 12:20:51
#60 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:
It seems I can buy Win8.1 PRO

If you buy that for the sake of "upgrading to 10 for free", remember that it will be tied to your current hardware...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle