Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  4 secs ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 zipper:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  35 mins ago
 Maijestro:  54 mins ago
 Rassilon:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 ncafferkey:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Free Windows 10 upgrade
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
logicalheart 
Re: Free Windows 10 upgrade
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 22:02:48
#61 ]
Cult Member

Of course it is a free update because:

1) They want you to use their O.S. without you making the decision about what you should buy.
2) Windows 8 was bad, so sorry about that, you can upgrade to version 10 for free.
3) It collects even more of your data than before to trade and sell to others. People don't realize that Microsoft makes deals with governments, and gets our tax dollars. Such criminals.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html

Profile     Report this post  
Overflow 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 22:36:57
#62 ]

@logicalheart

I kinda doubt having WIn7, 8 or 10 makes a whole lot of difference when it comes to data collection. Yes, they have included more "features" for us to agree to freely give data to MS. But if the goverments wants to play the "big brother" card, I doubt what settings I have makes a whole lot of difference.

Since we got into that topic; are there ANY OS's that are "safe"?

Its more a curiosity question. Tbh its a matter of weighing privacy needs vs what you put on the line to be online at all.
While I realise corporate intrests are reading my consumer patterns (or potential breaches to copyright laws) and goverments snoop for whatever they "feel" like, I do not have much of intrest on my harddrives for anyone.

If I want to increase my own privacy I need to have my own mail server (I know one guy in reallife that takes his privacy that serious). That's beyond what I'm prepared to do myself.

Intresting topic all the same.

Daedalus 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 22:49:30
#63 ]

@Jupp3

Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:

So from the sound of it, there are replacements available. Probably different than the old ones.

Might be a "trick" to force people to try Windows store (I assume that's where you can get them, probably for free?)

Yep, it might be to try to get people to go to the store, but also the new versions, while polished, now contain adverts and there is a subscription charge to remove them. So they're a revenue-generating exercise (if anyone actually pays for Solitaire is a different question). I guess if they're giving away the OS free, they have to make the money somewhere, right?

As for why they're giving it away free, perhaps it's just to try and avoid the whole windows XP thing of people staying with a system that does what they need rather than upgrading. So many people would be perfectly happy to stay on Windows 7 - I know I am - for as long as it does what they need it for. Hell, I only just upgraded from XP earlier this year, and that was because I came across the first thing it couldn't actually do: run Elite Dangerous.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle