Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  34 mins ago
 amigakit:  41 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 Rassilon:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Ratta:  2 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  New Amiga hardware idea
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: New Amiga hardware idea
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 23:29:09
#61 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

so you will go to your bank and take a loan of a couple of hundred thousand dollar to finance it? And this propably not enough when you have to prefinance ten thousands of devices. We have unfair world, everyone wants money you know. The different supplier of components, the developer of the board, the company that produces them, the software developer that shall create the new software that sells the devices and Hyperion for adaption of the OS.

So a serious question from a closed minded person, where do you take the money?

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 23:34:51
#62 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

you repeat all the time that all are stupid and narrow minded (you not of course) but you have still not answered where you get the money?

And if you compare it to the original amiga project... the members had invested all their money in the project and were practical bankrupt at the end. So you are so convinced of the idea that you take up a huge loan and invest it in the idea?

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 23:35:37
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

the idea sounds somehow familiar to me

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 23:36:58
#64 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

you cannot resist too

Leo 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 0:06:15
#65 ]

@hotrod: I asked a single question. You talk about linux and crash of tour Wii. That has nothing to do with what I said.

Now, linking the Wii to what I said you can see that:

- The wii has a proper SDK and has been designed to run games
- Nintendo owns a lot of IPS, knows how to make games, and has lots of developers (not to mention the few external devs that make games for them)
- The wii brought innovative controls that opened a whole lot of new possibilities
- The wii was cheap (compared to other consoles of the time)

Yes, its OS sucked. But who cares since most of the time is spent on games ?

So let me ask again: what would an Amiga dongle bring that any windows, Linux, Android, iOS dongles already bring ? (if you didn't get it: the OS is irrelevant here..).

The original idea of the Amiga wasn't about doing something different. It was about doing something better.

Last edited by Leo on 08-Aug-2015 at 12:13 AM.

hotrod 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 1:32:08
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

The point was that the idea from Chris isn't bad just because AOS lacks MP............

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 4:56:24
#67 ]

Yes OS4 on Wii sounds like a good idea. I saw a few years ago they had Wii at some senior centers to try to keep the elderly in activity, only problem i can see is how to use Wii controllers with OS4?

fishy_fis 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 5:52:30
#68 ]
Elite Member

Seriously?
People are joking about Wii as a platform for a desktop OS right?
88 Meg + vram make it a terrible choice. If os4 even ran at all there'd be very little you could do.
People are already well aware of how restrictive 128 meg is.

As for the original post, as others have suggested there's nothing but disadvantages in using Amiga OS + weak hardware that will be comparatively expensive vs. preexisting similar options.
Adding the Amiga name does nothing to attract retro enthusiasts, as even the small percentage of old Amiga games that haven't dated horribly can (and do/have) be played more cheaply (and probably better) on other similar setups.

Little surprised by this thread to be honest. While there's always delusional threads they're normally started by the same handful of delusional people, and while the OP does have a reputation for os4 bias, he usually doesn't go this far off the reservation.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 08-Aug-2015 at 06:03 AM.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 6:27:40
#69 ]

@fishy_fis

Can they just strip away all the messy eye candy they have put on the workbench. OS4 looks like a messy christmas tree. messy pimped up silly affectations. Have they done anything more than that other than just port it to hardware its not designed for?

The name is Workbench, that means you should be able to work on it. What would you say if your wife came and emptied paint cans all over the workbench in your garage?

It frees lots of memory and no software other than EUAE anyways.

PS. I like christmas trees but not on my workbench.

Pleng 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 7:20:22
#70 ]

@hotrod

Quote:

So the reality is that what can be done has been done and there are no other way to improve the sales of the Amiga?

That's pretty much the size of it, yes.

I already *have* a device that does everything the OP is proposing. It's connected to my TV and plays any Amiga, SNES, Megadive, N64 game I could think of... and a few Dreamcast games to go with.... It also plays 4k video content, browses Youtube, can access desktop computers via RDP or TeamViewer and it cost less than $100. I also have a portable game system that does exactly the same, but allows me the flexibility to do so when riding a bus, train or plane.

You can't "save the Amiga" by making a more expensive version of another product which has less features.

@NZV58I
Quote:

Let us look back and imagine what nay sayers would have said about the original Amiga before it came out:

Custom chips! Your crazy...

Digitized sound. Why do you need sound...

4096 colors: Why do you need so many colors...

The difference is that all those points have clear technical benefits. People may have been saying "you don't need this" or "that would be too expensive" but there would always be a realistic argument for including them - they served a purpose. Give me a single reasonable argument for replacing my current Android TVbox/Gamebox/Workstation with hardware that is more expensive, running an out-of-date, unstable and insecure OS with far less available software.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 7:20:28
#71 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

so what would YOU do different in 2015?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

hotrod 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 9:04:57
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Pleng

Yes YOU have a device for it. I would guess that by the people hanging around at Amiga-sites most emulates the Amiga or use some kind of classic or NG Amiga. As you might have noticed we are a small community so that hardware is aimed at those who are interested in the Amiga but not the current options.

Also, you can emulate a classic Amiga on anything these days but if you read about the idea for this new device it isn't exactly like running UAE on your smartphone........

hotrod 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 9:10:44
#73 ]
Elite Member

I don't think that it's ready yet though and have a good chance of failing (not enough apps). It really needs to have a good price and when it comes to software... and the OS.... yes there's much to do... if it fails it just hurts the brand even more... if that's possible.

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 9:27:13
#74 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

if the idea really is to create new custom hardware than it will not happen. FPGA based hardware like the apollo project and FPGA Arcade (I personal prefer Apollo because pure amiga) have some geek factor and are different to standard hardware so there is a chance to even win some people outside the community but still it is a niche product. Custom PPC hardware is very risky financially (again who will take the financial risks?) and will very propably be much more expensive than standard hardware if it happens at all. What I miss here, people use computer based devices for certain purposes but do not care about OS on it. So what market shall it target? Earlier amiga was used for desktop video so you could say we target this market again and construct the hardware and software around it. Or another market. "Retro" is a trend too but even on Raspberry 2 UAE is already fast enough to emulate amiga so Retro alone would be no reason to buy.

In short: people should first say what the new hardware/OS is for and then discuss what is needed for it and not define a hardware and then think what you can use it for.

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 9:31:33
#75 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

people use computers because of applications/services not because of hardware. So the discussion should be firstly about for what people should use a "amiga device" not about hardware and expecially not as first purpose to sell more "AmigaOS" compatible hardware because that is no selling point outside.

damocles 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 9:43:20
#76 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@damocles

Yes, PowerPC was not designed for Amiga products only,

It was intended for Apple and not the Amiga. Remember AIM? And the "A" did not stand for Amiga...

Quote:
there has to be hardware out there that is PowerPC based that is used for consumer electronics today.

Other then network appliances and embedded devices?

Pleng 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 11:57:23
#77 ]

@hotrod

"but if you read about the idea for this new device it isn't exactly like running UAE on your smartphone........"

yes, it is.

hotrod 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 14:10:56
#78 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I'm for hardware that are cheap and runs aos 4. I'm for a complete solution that plays older games using
aos 4. It should do other things as well as a bonus but not be seen as or compete against mediaplayers.

Can such PPC-hardware be made at low cost? Probably not and then it'll fail. It is very much needed though.

If price is right, it looks good and it's fun to use then why not?

hotrod 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 14:12:26
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Pleng

I have Android which isn't like AOS because if it was I wouldn't run AOS. So no it is not.

Pleng 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 14:21:16
#80 ]

@hotrod

The OS is irrelevant to the target "mass market". The idea in the OP was "let's make a device that can do x,y and z... and sell it to the masses so that we can have a cheap OS 4 machine".

The trouble is that there's already plenty of machines that can already do x,y and z. You're not going to convince them to pay more, for an inferior product, just to feed your habit.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle