Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Torque:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 12 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 kriz:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 Karlos:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  5 hrs 19 mins ago
 Rassilon:  5 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why Amiga OS on none Amiga Hardware?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Why Amiga OS on none Amiga Hardware?
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:13:46
#401 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
From what you've written 'til now, maybe it's better that you find some others...

PhD in physics is enough, I think...

Quote:
Don't mix oranges and apples: they are different things, and has to be treated differently.

Of course. However I remind you our discussion centers mostly on historical aspects, not technical.

Quote:
It's from several posts that I'm waiting you for showing such failure. Don't disappoint me now...

TiNa...

Quote:
Otherwise I've to say that you're a liar...

Another expert opinion?

Quote:
I don't know MorphOS, but AROS has nothing of that (it would have worked only for AROS/68K).

MorphOS needs original rexxsyslib.library to get most of ARexx work.

Quote:
Anyway, it changes nothing: AREXX can be rewritten.

I just read great article from 2006 mentioning ARexx as "library that is still being coded". It would probably need far more than 9 years. But yes, you know best.

Profile     Report this post  
Boot_WB 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:24:25
#402 ]

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Of course. However I remind you our discussion centers mostly on historical aspects, not technical.

Pavlor also asked:

Quote:
Is there some canon version of this part of Amiga history?

Careful, your arguements are tripping over themselves.

Although I'll admit I've glossed over the tedium of much of this thread.

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:31:28
#403 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
From what you've written 'til now, maybe it's better that you find some others...

PhD in physics is enough, I think...

For physics. For computer architectures, programming, o.ses, you need different advisors...
Quote:
Quote:
Don't mix oranges and apples: they are different things, and has to be treated differently.

That's pretty simply: reply to historical aspects with historical arguments, and to technical aspects with technical arguments.

Isn't too much to ask?
Quote:
Quote:
It's from several posts that I'm waiting you for showing such failure. Don't disappoint me now...

TiNa...

Again, that's the Poisoning the well that you like so much. It seems that logical fallacies are your best friends...

In fact, my technical writings have nothing to do with the doom of TiNA. BTW, they were also written for any "NeoAmiga" FPGA project. That's something that any amigacoding.de user knows (it was also the proper name of the forum subsection), except you, of course, because you continue to talk of things of which you have zero knowledge about. But we know that you lack technical knowledge.

Anyway, and as usual, you like to let down one's guard. A great example of intellectual honesty...
Quote:
Quote:
Otherwise I've to say that you're a liar...

Another expert opinion?

Only if you prove it. But we know that's a enormous task for you.

"Strangely" to continuosly "forget" to even quote myself, and you're deaf to any proof request. Strangely...
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know MorphOS, but AROS has nothing of that (it would have worked only for AROS/68K).

MorphOS needs original rexxsyslib.library to get most of ARexx work.

So, same as OS4 here.
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, it changes nothing: AREXX can be rewritten.

I just read great article from 2006 mentioning ARexx as "library that is still being coded". It would probably need far more than 9 years. But yes, you know best.

Now they have to do it for MorphOS/x64, because the 68K emulation "trick" will not work anymore.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:42:09
#404 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

As cdmauro is interested only in facts, their interpretation is meaningless.

Quote:
Although I'll admit I've glossed over the tedium of much of this thread.

Wise choice.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:48:49
#405 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

AREXX-Ports work in all Aros-Versions. I use it on 68k but the same components (REXXMAST) is available everywhere

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:50:50
#406 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
For physics. For computer architectures, programming, o.ses, you need different advisors...

I don´t know curriculum in your country, but there these fields are covered by master degree.

Quote:
That's pretty simply: reply to historical aspects with historical arguments, and to technical aspects with technical arguments.

Quote:
Isn't too much to ask?

Here we are in full agreement.

Quote:
It seems that logical fallacies are your best friends...

Quote:
A great example of intellectual honesty...

I remind you again, it was you who promoted TiNa concept vehemently against sceptics like myself. Still the same arguments... In the end, I was right and you not. But of course, you know best.

Quote:
Only if you prove it.

You already did...

Quote:
So, same as OS4 here.

Correct. However, this library is of course bundled with AmigaOS.

Quote:
Now they have to do it for MorphOS/x64, because the 68K emulation "trick" will not work anymore.

They don´t have to do it, because the 68K emulation "trick" will not work anymore.
I expect they will find another solution for entire 68k problem.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:54:07
#407 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
AREXX-Ports work in all Aros-Versions. I use it on 68k but the same components (REXXMAST) is available everywhere

Now this is interesting. So rexxsyslib.library is not needed in AROS 68k? This would be great news as AROS implementation should be useable also in MorphOS (and as PowerPC native component in AmigaOS itself).

Edit: I see on your own page:
Arexx can be added by copying RexxMast in C and rexxsyslib.library in Libs (from original installations).
Final Calc needs original rexxsyslib.library

So Arexx support is not 100 % yet.

Last edited by pavlor on 25-Aug-2015 at 02:01 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 13:59:27
#408 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

yes... I had problems to run Arexx-scripts but Arexx-ports work

to run Arexx-scripts Regina is used but I mostly got errors when executing (except simple scripts)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 25-Aug-2015 at 02:01 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 14:04:22
#409 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

as I wrote... Arexx-Ports

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 14:04:22
#410 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

On the other hand, as original OS3 libraries are native and can be used with AROS 68k, your platform has good ARexx support.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 14:05:51
#411 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

I tried to get it as near as possible to the original so preinstalled is the Aros replacement

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 14:50:56
#412 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@cdimauro

So AREXX isn't fully covered.

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 14:55:15
#413 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

it is using Regina that implements REXX but is not 100% compatible to AREXX

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 15:15:46
#414 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

I don´t know curriculum in your country, but there these fields are covered by master degree.

Not in my country, because it depends on the specific master degree.

Anyway, if you think that he has competences in such fields, you can ask him to help you, right?
Quote:
Quote:
It seems that logical fallacies are your best friends...

Quote:
A great example of intellectual honesty...

I remind you again, it was you who promoted TiNa concept vehemently against sceptics like myself. Still the same arguments... In the end, I was right and you not. But of course, you know best.

TiNA wasn't my project, but it came from an Italian company. I only worked as an external consultant for the Amiga side, and my task was to design the new architecture, which I did, and you can find everything on amigacoding.de.

If the company then decided to drop the project, it's not my problem anymore, AND it doesn't take out nothing of the work which I did.

That were the facts, and that's simple, elementary logic. But we know that logic is not field of excellence, so maybe you can ask to your physics PhD to explain it to you.
Quote:
Quote:
Only if you prove it.

You already did...

When? Quote me and PROVE that I was a lier.

Talk is cheap...
Quote:
Quote:
So, same as OS4 here.

Correct. However, this library is of course bundled with AmigaOS.

That's normal: AREXX doesn't work without it.
Quote:
Quote:

They don´t have to do it, because the 68K emulation "trick" will not work anymore.
I expect they will find another solution for entire 68k problem.

They already said that retro compatibility will NOT be possible, and for the obvious reasons that were already discussed even here.

But if you, or your physics PhD friend, can give a brilliant solution for that problem, well, you're more than welcome. And, of course, I can't wait to see the technical details.

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 15:18:01
#415 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@cdimauro

it is using Regina that implements REXX but is not 100% compatible to AREXX

Is there any list of incompatibilities between them?

OlafS25 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 15:24:53
#416 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I have not digged in it myself (lack of time and interest)

automatisation via arexx ports works

page I found:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Developer/Docs/Rexx

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 15:39:11
#417 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25: thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't help to understand the differences.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 15:46:51
#418 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

Of course. However, electronics and coding are common in most physics related curriculums.

Quote:
Anyway, if you think that he has competences in such fields, you can ask him to help you, right?

Once I feel such need...

Quote:
That were the facts, and that's simple, elementary logic.

Quote:
If the company then decided to drop the project, it's not my problem anymore, AND it doesn't take out nothing of the work which I did.

Wait! Wait! Weren´t this your own words:
I got a new job, and cannot contribute anymore to the TINA project. I also stopped contributing to amigacoding.de (even for other reasons). So actually TINA is putting on hold, due to missing an Amiga chipset expert that can coordinate/contribute to the hardware "mapping" and implementation.

Quote:

See above!

Quote:
That's normal: AREXX doesn't work without it.

That is normal for AmigaOS, but not for other OSs (these need such library from other sources).

Quote:
They already said that retro compatibility will NOT be possible, and for the obvious reasons that were already discussed even here.

Not possible the way it is now. I´m sure MorphOS developers are clever enough to find other suitable way, albeit not so perfect like current solution. You don´t need PhD in plasma physics to understand such need.

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 16:07:15
#419 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

Of course. However, electronics and coding are common in most physics related curriculums.

Usually they are introductory courses, because physics need to write some code to create simulation of their models.

But they didn't become experts in those fields, like the ones which get a proper degree.
Quote:
Quote:

Once I feel such need...

There's a couple of chances. Ask him to prove that it's not possible to virtualize the AGA chipset (that's your thesis), and to prove that 68K compatibility can be kept moving to a little-endian and/or 64-bit architecture. "Easy" tasks, just to start
Quote:
Quote:
That were the facts, and that's simple, elementary logic.

Quote:

Wait! Wait! Weren´t this your own words:
I got a new job, and cannot contribute anymore to the TINA project. I also stopped contributing to amigacoding.de (even for other reasons). So actually TINA is putting on hold, due to missing an Amiga chipset expert that can coordinate/contribute to the hardware "mapping" and implementation.

Correct. I was the coordinator and the only contributor to the hardware features definition of the project, because of my Amiga chipset knowledge. They haven't found a replacement in more than a year, so the project was closed (it's from some months ago that the site is down).

On amigacoding.de you still found all my work, and as I said I've covered ANY aspects of the new chipset(s) (I use plural because my work was available for other Amiga FPGA projects), providing also several new ideas for new features.

So, what's wrong here? The fact that I left the project? Be clear.
Quote:
Quote:

See above!

Idem: see above.
Quote:
Quote:

Not possible the way it is now. I´m sure MorphOS developers are clever enough to find other suitable way, albeit not so perfect like current solution. You don´t need PhD in plasma physics to understand such need.

Well, I only reported what some MorphOS developers (read: NOT me!) already expressed about such argument. But, as usual, maybe you know it better than them.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 16:31:22
#420 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Usually they are introductory courses, because physics need to write some code to create simulation of their models.

Depends on your field of study.

Quote:
But they didn't become experts in those fields, like the ones which get a proper degree.

Capable enough to understand, I would say.

Quote:
Ask him to prove that it's not possible to virtualize the AGA chipset (that's your thesis)

My thesis? My memory must be even worser than I thought.

Quote:
So, what's wrong here? The fact that I left the project? Be clear.

In this thread you wrote about end of TiNa:

If the company then decided to drop the project, it's not my problem anymore,

But, as you admit, the real reason for TiNa´s demise was your own action - new job had simply higher priority:

In the end I decided that an hobby isn't worth the risk to lose the job of a life...

I could write you are the very reason behind failure of TiNa, but that would be too harsh. Well, I apologize to you. Of course you aren´t liar, you only have highly selective memory...

Quote:
Well, I only reported what some MorphOS developers (read: NOT me!) already expressed about such argument. But, as usual, maybe you know it better than them.

Question of 68k compatibility is voiced on MorphOS forums, I don´t think MorphOS developers have deaf ears. However, MorphOS transition to another architecture is not question of this year (or probably even next year), so they have enough time to think about possible substitute solution.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle