Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  19 mins ago
 pixie:  19 mins ago
 kriz:  19 mins ago
 Karlos:  32 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  45 mins ago
 Rassilon:  47 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 Ratta:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Developer Projects Forum
      /  how Compile Oxygen Web Browser on amithlon machine whit gcc(ADE)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: how Compile Oxygen Web Browser on amithlon machine whit gcc(ADE)
Posted on 5-Sep-2015 19:05:55
#41 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Morphix

As wawa wrote, not really useable.

Can´t find OWB OS3/68k on Aminet right now, it was on author´s (Joerg Strohmayer) page, but this is not available anymore.

i dont think it was on aminet ever. dont even know where i have the binaries from..

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 5-Sep-2015 19:14:32
#42 ]
Elite Member

@jazz79

Quote:

jazz79 wrote:
but because old version of owb for aros don't run on a classica machine?

what? could you espress yourself a bit clearer?

owb for aros is built every night anew, with the nightly builds and contributions of aros for amiga-m68k. you can download it from there. its a bit dated implementation, true, but it still works in most cases. it even works on an actual amiga, even if starting it first time will take ages, since it calculates outline font cache or something. in order to avoid this, run it firs on uae, delete unneccessary big ttf fonts or perhaps use olafs distro, if it has precalculated cache file. other than that you need to run it on rtg screen, since it also uses sdl for plotting. on native amiga gfx mode it will only show the gui. after running it, you need to go to menu>preferences or settings and set the decodingv images to datatypes for all formats and disable java script.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Sep-2015 at 07:15 PM.

themamboman 
Posted on 8-Nov-2015 6:43:15
#43 ]

@wawa

I think the idea here (if you read the first posting) was to get the latest version of OWB available to compile for AMITHLON, x86 native code but in a 3.x environment, not a 68k version.

I personally would like the same, as I have more than one Amithlon machine with all that untapped x86 power but still be on a classic system.

I've seen that there is an Amithlon 2.95 GCC and binutils on Aminet. Can this version of gcc environment build a cross-compiled version of the current OWB code that was back ported to OS4 from Morphos? Is the current AROS version of OWB (I think the latest beta now includes Youtube playback in Icaros) be able to be run on Amthlon with simple recompile?

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@jazz79

Quote:

jazz79 wrote:
but because old version of owb for aros don't run on a classica machine?

what? could you espress yourself a bit clearer?

owb for aros is built every night anew, with the nightly builds and contributions of aros for amiga-m68k. you can download it from there. its a bit dated implementation, true, but it still works in most cases. it even works on an actual amiga, even if starting it first time will take ages, since it calculates outline font cache or something. in order to avoid this, run it firs on uae, delete unneccessary big ttf fonts or perhaps use olafs distro, if it has precalculated cache file. other than that you need to run it on rtg screen, since it also uses sdl for plotting. on native amiga gfx mode it will only show the gui. after running it, you need to go to menu>preferences or settings and set the decodingv images to datatypes for all formats and disable java script.

wawa 
Posted on 8-Nov-2015 11:29:23
#44 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

okay. but if the original poster doesnt precisely say what he wants himself, he cant be helped.

themamboman 
Posted on 8-Dec-2015 17:04:48
#45 ]

I'm curious if anyone had any more thoughts on recompiling OWB for Amithlon specifically.

Also is there a quick-start setup guide to install the development environment for Amithlon so I could port amiga 68k programs to take advantage of the x86 power?

I've seen a gcc and binutils file on Aminet, but the instructions are a bit difficult to follow. Is it best to set up a geekgadgets dev environment and then overlay the amithlon archives onto it?

Does amidevcpp cross compiler support Amithlon?

Thanks!

jazz79 
Posted on 8-Dec-2015 17:21:45
#46 ]

@themamboman

in the next release of amikit also include owb

hi

jazz79 
Posted on 8-Dec-2015 17:23:26
#47 ]

patience

hi

themamboman 
Posted on 9-Dec-2015 16:38:12
#48 ]

@jazz79

Someone is recompiling the Odyssey browser for 68k? Is it based on the latest 1.24/1.25 versions?Quote:

jazz79 wrote:
@themamboman

in the next release of amikit also include owb

hi

jazz79 
Posted on 9-Dec-2015 20:02:08
#49 ]

@themamboman

there is a proposal bounty for aros68k, but i don't such when version in the next release of amikit!!!

fishy_fis 
Posted on 10-Dec-2015 1:27:49
#50 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

x86 amithlon native gcc is quite old. Even older than the 2.95.3 version available for 68k. Ditto binutils.

You'd pretty much need to build an entire new gcc+binutils toolschain if you want to do anything particularly useful with it.
Also, no, the OWB in question here is the original AROS OWB from years ago. It was somewhat more advanced than the original owb for os4, but came out before even the 1st version of what became known as Odyssey.

As for the current builds of odyssey, you wont get it to compile with current 68k dev tools, let alone x86 native toolchain,.... theyre simply too dated. There's also the fact that current odyssey for aros requires mui libs and classes that are more advanced than what 68k amiga os has, along with other updated libs. OWB itself would be a small piece of the puzzle. You'd spend more time porting dependencies. Other than some speedup from x86be binaries though you wont gain anything. x86-be is a dedicated codepath. You wont see advantages in the code that are tailored at x86.

Dont expect amithlon native compiling to be easy, its really not, especially with such dated tools.
The only 2 useful things I have that are amithlon native are povray and the c64 emulator "Vice". The latters usage, while being cool, is no different to 68k either other than even more excessive, pointless speed when you set it in warp mode :)

If you're interested in stuff for amithlon though, I have shedlods of compiles of stuff that I never released (no point really, only fast enough on amithlon). At roughly 5000 mips my amithlon box has enough grunt to outperfrom nearly any ppc system, and that's in 68k code vs ppc. Using b.e. x86 code it somewhat embarasses any ppc system. This is of course using a reasonable pc (4.4ghz core2duo), which for some reason few people seem to do with amithlon.

Point being the raw grunt is there, just not the dev tools.

In regards to setting up the compiler under os3.9, it should be as simple as extracting the archies you your ADE. The startup will then also include x86 b.e.
As for using them, its pretty straight forward to, just use CC=i386-amithlon-be-gcc (or whatever its called) and so on.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 10-Dec-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 10-Dec-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 10-Dec-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 10-Dec-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Dec-2015 13:43:23
#51 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
Try lower screen resolution.

I was running it on 800x600. Same as my friend. But even if I go down to 640x480 the same thing happens. It just takes too many CPU cycles and the OS can't cope with it.

I think it is just Stratagus. It's a resource hog. I recently got it compiled for OSX PPC which I was fighting with for years. And just solved last week. I tested it with my Stargus files. It was slow to load and the sound stuttered as well as gameplay. And this is on a machine double speed of my A1 with OpenGL!

themamboman 
Posted on 16-Dec-2015 16:03:25
#52 ]

@fishy_fis

So, do you think that the AROS gcc 4.x development environment could be made to create Amithlon binaries by pointing to the original headers and libraries for Amiga instead of the AROS specific versions?

I couldn't find Amithlon-specific headers or libraries so I'm thinking the binaries made for it are just compiled for i386 instead of 68k but the rest is the same as building for classic 68k.

What do you think?

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@themamboman

x86 amithlon native gcc is quite old. Even older than the 2.95.3 version available for 68k. Ditto binutils.

You'd pretty much need to build an entire new gcc+binutils toolschain if you want to do anything particularly useful with it.
Also, no, the OWB in question here is the original AROS OWB from years ago. It was somewhat more advanced than the original owb for os4, but came out before even the 1st version of what became known as Odyssey.

Point being the raw grunt is there, just not the dev tools.

In regards to setting up the compiler under os3.9, it should be as simple as extracting the archies you your ADE. The startup will then also include x86 b.e.
As for using them, its pretty straight forward to, just use CC=i386-amithlon-be-gcc (or whatever its called) and so on.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle