Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Maijestro:  9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  12 mins ago
 pixie:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  58 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  3 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
fishy_fis 
Re: Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:05:15
#121 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

No, not with vesa....... natively. Both 2d and 3d support.

Which is what I actually said had you bothered to read it before responding.

And quit it with the dramatics will you. Who said anything about domination. I simply questioned something you wrote which was inaccurate.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:06:24
#122 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

Quote:
Really guys, this is getting silly.

This reminds me of my discussion with fellow Amiga users about 68030 vs 80486 performance comparison. Technology upgrades, Amiga users remain the same.

tlosm 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:09:08
#123 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

i think only Hans and Frank Mariak can better explain you how the gfx subsystem work on aros, probably you will shook about

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

fishy_fis 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:12:29
#124 ]
Elite Member

Im not even arguing. Simply pointing out inaccuracies.

Tlosm has taken it upon himself to basically throw a tantrum about this because I questioned the crap he was spewing and made a few corrections.

Its not like his delusions and fantasies are unknown to the amiga world. Anyone based in reality knows this (hence there being many other people who have had similar discussions with him).

tlosm 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:19:07
#125 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

you are make me smiling tooo much ... really

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

fishy_fis 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:19:28
#126 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

What?
Surely the guy who developed aros graphics subsystem would know these things pretty well?

Why would developers of other systems graphics system know better than deadwood? (who did 3d subsystem for aros, along with 2d drivers for nvidia).

Im not sure you realise how heavily involved I am, nor the fact I speak to these people almost daily, nor the fact Im an aros/amiga developer as well.

Additionally, what the heck does this have to do with the fact youre wrong about the volume of hardware suppoted under aros?
Once again you do what you always do....... go all off topic and try to move the subject along when you start to realise others are aware youre quite ill-informed.

tlosm 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:26:06
#127 ]
Elite Member

@fishy

i dint know who did the basic gfx subsistem of aros this why i write the names of other geeks
in any way
if you need to know who did it the accelered and advanced you can go

here

Last edited by tlosm on 07-Aug-2016 at 12:27 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

kamelito 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 13:22:02
#128 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH
Excuse my French :)
I just meant that work done on the drivers side for the X1000 should have been compatibles with the X5000. For this to be possible HW should have been chosen with a long term plan from the beginning. I.e. Not reinventing the wheel on the drivers front...
Still not clear?
Kamelito

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 13:25:41
#129 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest oversight made when people try to analyze the situation is the simple fact that the mainstream world simply doesn't need another choice, more so a choice that is only half baked.

From our point of view, of the Amiga people, we don't see it that way. To us we aren't another choice or a choice to be added on top of the rest, to us the Amiga always existed since it first come on the market and hasn't left. So before us there is Windows and Mac. Then Amiga. And after that comes Linux, Android and iOS and the like.

Well that's how I see it. Sure, the original Amiga didn't make it past OS3.9 and PPC was the best expansion at the time. OS4 and AmigaOne hardware sought to remedy this ten years later. But, it was already too late. It lacked any Amiga chipset which was a major Amiga feature that we sorely wanted to see an upgrade to. Instead there was a focus on the OS instead. Which, though good when it came out, was looking tired 20 years after the fact when it became OS4 compared to other OS software.

And that's not including where the Amiga cells divided and multiplied into another vision of what they thought Amiga should be. Inspired by that Amiga spirit and that core desire that Amiga deserves to be there and stay alive among other computer systems.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 13:57:06
#130 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
Well, if the lack of Altivec was the only downside...

Yes, if only. The problem is this brings the Amiga down to technology at and before AmigaOne XE times. And limits us to a CPU on the level with a G3.

Or, in Intel terms, before they advertised all those commercials with MMX and the tingles on the end.

Quote:
Inferior to what, and in what way? One of the Friedens praised it on this very forum and said that it was the Pegasos 2 firmware that made bringing OS4 to the machine so easy.

I would say inferior to the XE UBoot in the way of user friendliness. Yes it sounds funny. By that I mean UBoot has setup menus and can autoboot a CD. As well as having an SLB that can boot OS4 and Linux.

From my testing of a Pegasos, reading boot guides and feedback from users the Pegasos lacks this. It can't autoboot a CD and if OS4 is installed the OS4 bootloader discriminates against other systems like MorphOS and Linux. I know people have struggled to setup a multiboot menu and tend to give up, go to the firmware command line and run it manually from there.

SmartFirmware is similar to OpenFirmware as is CFE on the X1000. This may be why one of the Friedens likes it. A bootloader is written for it that works for both the X1000 and Pegasos. One that only supports OS4. So other means must be used to boot any thing else.

ribdevil 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 14:03:58
#131 ]

@Hypex

" So before us there is Windows and Mac. Then Amiga"

Windows 1.0 . 2.0 , 3.1 w95 and even w98 aren't S.O , are a simple GUI, you need D.O.S to star this windows.

So no, Windows not before Amiga.

Apple, if you consider an Apple II, with 8 bits, yes. But if consider the Macintosh then no. The Amiga was first.

Last edited by ribdevil on 07-Aug-2016 at 02:07 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 14:18:32
#132 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Sure, and that was all implied in my post.
However because of these things the amiga, and its derivatives will never move beyond what they are today. Hardware type and price is pretty well moot. We simply dont have anything to offer others that will help it gain any traction to pick up momentum. It's a fun system so there'll be a few new people here and there, but trying to work out a way to make it mainstream and/or popular again is pointless.

Joe Public simply doesnt want or need another half baked system in an already flooded marketplace.

Not suggesting people give up on it. I sure as heck wont be, its a good, fun system. We know and accept the shortcomings though. Its a very small niche of people outside those that are already here who will tolerate such a half baked system.

For the price of an x5000 a person could get a 12core i7@4ghz+, 32gig ram, and 2xgf 980 video cards, and an OS will all the modern bells and whistles, all while actually utlizing the computer properly. And with any software a person could want/need.

While we enjoy the systems very few arguments could be made to most people as to why they should spend similar money on such a niche/crippled product as OS4/x5000. It's like suggesting a person buy a c64 with a datasette for the same money as an '060 based a3k :)
Both great fun, but worlds apart in terms of capability and potential.

For the record, I like both :)

fishy_fis 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 14:20:20
#133 ]
Elite Member

@ribdevil

Nah, original Mac was released in 84.
Was before the Amiga.

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 14:51:44
#134 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
However because of these things the amiga, and its derivatives will never move beyond what they are today.

Last opportunity for sustainable Amiga commercial developement was in the early 2000s. Bill McEwen estimated 5000 AmigaOne boards would suffice as basis for such market. In the end, around that number of all A1 and Pegasos boards were sold, dividing market in two similar parts, both doomed to ultimate failure as neither side could reach such "critical mass" alone.

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 15:20:38
#135 ]

@jaokim

Quote:

jaokim wrote:
Quote:

That we need is a complete rewriting of actual Amiga-Like Operating Systems and a sponsor who will gladly finance us with at least 500.000 euro, hiring a team of at least 12 developers to work almost full time for six months...

Something like http://friendos.com?

I must see... I suspect there is Linux Kernel underneat FriendOS, so it is not argument for our thread, but yes, if we had enough money like the cash collected by FriendOS developers from their investors, we could had enanched noteworthy our Operating Systems. And also cash collected by FriendOS seems to me not that eccessive amount of money.
iMHO They are investing little sums from their personal finances with also help from Pleasence, hoping attracting more venture capitals.

Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Aug-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 15:27:33
#136 ]

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@TRIPOS

my quad g5 10 years machine can today play a race with an i5 2012 i will make tests
with i3 laptops 2015 just im courious about.

Interesting to know that, and do not forget G5 has bus clocked at merely 133MHz and that is its main weak point...

Please show us where are areas in which Quad G5 surpass an i3.

(Sure i3 will overperform various times a Quad G5 in streaming, as all family i3, i5 and i7 have built in circuity to deal with streaming and decoding of H264 standard, together with MMX instructions)

Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Aug-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Yssing 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 15:42:31
#137 ]

So even after Helge has been banned from most forums, he still continues to cause a fuss.
The man is an idiot and is doing everything he can to miscredit AmigaOS, Hyperion and so on..

fishy_fis 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 15:54:52
#138 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Actually, g5 fsb is 1/2 of clock speed if memory serves correctly. Considerably up from earlier ppc processors. Memory buses are also considerably up from earlier ppc systems.

It's still considerably slower than an i3 in pretty much any meaurement possible, despite an i3 only being dual core.

edit: yep g5 fsb is 1/2 clock speed.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 07-Aug-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 07-Aug-2016 at 05:02 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 16:56:22
#139 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

system bus on quad g5 is 1.25ghz 1250mhz

read carefully

Last edited by tlosm on 07-Aug-2016 at 04:56 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

klx300r 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 17:06:53
#140 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
And as others have implied, AROS demonstrates that an Amiga-like OS with little Amiga software is of little interest to people, even if it runs on cheap commodity hardware & has no license cost barrier.

ah stop it now Chris talking sense and all Sadly this is the case whether the x86 on cheap hardware minions like it or not

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle