Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  5 mins ago
 matthey:  41 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 1 min ago
 amigang:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Maijestro:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Rassilon:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A sad day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
WolfpackN64 
Re: A sad day
Posted on 30-May-2017 22:59:47
#161 ]

@number6

Criminal record background scans? That's just downright nasty!

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 30-May-2017 23:08:54
#162 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

does that remind me of some tarantino title? everybody can find themselves in circumstances to take a job as a conductor. do we need to find out all the dirt and pursue people, rather than simply rely on whats important to us, treating the rest as a black box?

Last edited by wawa on 30-May-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 30-May-2017 at 11:09 PM.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 30-May-2017 23:15:15
#163 ]

@wawa

People who have been in prison have been punished, locking them out of jobs is only making their situation worse.

How can Aaron sleep at night, knowing he might be complicit in destroying people's lives or people's second chances?

I liked AOTL and their mission when they started out, but knowing Aaron's background now... That's just awful.

wawa 
Posted on 30-May-2017 23:28:08
#164 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64
Quote:
People who have been in prison have been punished, locking them out of jobs is only making their situation worse.

you are right. at least to an extent where punishment, as an element of interaction between an "absolutely free" individual and the superior "social structure" he or she is involved with, may come in play and how it behaves in the end. usa seem a prime example here, but maybe we have been just spared of it in europe. for the time being. i still think it exceeds the volume of this discussion.

Last edited by wawa on 30-May-2017 at 11:28 PM.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 30-May-2017 23:35:43
#165 ]

@wawa

Indeed, it might not say much about what is happening now, but it does make me question his moral compass.

jorit2 
Posted on 30-May-2017 23:41:13
#166 ]

@BigD

Quote:

A) Talking to Amigakit to resolve the differences.

Not taking sides here, but as i read it, it does not seem something impulsive ...

Quote:

B) Giving a professional press release showing some regret at the state of affairs without being petulant and bitter.

And you might wanna commend him for not interfering in this ... "debate" ..

Evert

wawa 
Posted on 30-May-2017 23:44:37
#167 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
his moral compass.

seems to have been no issue as long as he has not challenged anyone else. i have kept quiet on this. i can stay this way. i wish you guys did, instead of smashing the furniture.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 30-May-2017 23:50:55
#168 ]

@wawa

This whole situation could have been handled better by everyone, but throwing it in the open extracted the kind of response that was to be expected. I didn't know about his other business before, but I consider it a problem.

BigD 
Posted on 31-May-2017 0:00:35
#169 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
And you might wanna commend him for not interfering in this ... "debate" .. Evert

No I don't commend him. He stirred the hornets nest, stormed out of the AmigaOne market with a petulant jibe at 8 months of presumably torrid (from his point of view) dealings with Amigakit and A-EON where he was to onlookers in the enviable position of having the North American AmigaOne distribution market all to himself FOR 8 WHOLE MONTHS!!!! He ran to the hills and left us all to try and work out why he felt that way (not that it matters as it's none of our concern as potential customers of a product that is still available to buy and still being manufactured despite the tiny market and odds against this being the case)!

Had he said something more respectful and humble it wouldn't have blown up like this on this forum. Quite frankly someone who wants to bad mouth the business dealings of A-EON and Amigakit publicly rather than keeping personal disgruntlements to the board room is not someone you'd want as an important linchpin in a global distribution network anyway. He needs AmigaKit and A-EON to bring credance to his company not the other way around!

He simply should have stated his regret at having made the difficult decision to cease the sale of Amigakit and A-EON affiliated products due to unresolved differences and therefore kept a semblance of respect for the parties involved. It's not hard, I don't have a PR background but it just makes business sense especially in such a small market.

Last edited by BigD on 31-May-2017 at 12:01 AM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 31-May-2017 0:03:07
#170 ]

First I was about to file an abuse report for his offensive and rude behavior...

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@wawa

piss off.

...but after reading this...

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
to see anti-competitive moves like this does not speak well for amigakit, and demonstrates that when it comes to A-EON, there is *no* barrier between the two entities, except on paper.

to say this has devastated my view on things is an understatement. between this and some other things behind the scenes, i'm damn near ready to take a hammer to my X5000 and walk away.

...I changed my mind. I don't want him banned, I want to see how this plays out!

And BTW: "there is *no* barrier between the two entities, except on paper" = AeonKit

Rob 
Posted on 31-May-2017 0:22:07
#171 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
eople who have been in prison have been punished, locking them out of jobs is only making their situation worse.

So you'd be fine with a convicted paedophile working at the school you seend your kids to.

BigD 
Posted on 31-May-2017 0:55:01
#172 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
So you'd be fine with a convicted paedophile working at the school you seend your kids to.

So on that logic you'd have a problem with an ex-abortion nurse working in a nursery? You think they might fall into bad habits and knock off a toddler! Although maybe you wouldn't have an issue with that one because aborting children is legal and therefore a perfectly respectable career choice?!

Or maybe you'd have a problem with Eric Cantona teaching you children football because he might at any moment kung foo kick someone in the head?!

Your logic is rubbish. There is not a 100% reoffending record amongst ex-offenders and if there was it would be because people like you weren't giving them a 2nd chance.

There is a child sex offenders record to protect children from convicted paedophiles. Giving ex-cons jobs is something we should all be supportive of otherwise how exactly do you think they are going to rehabilitated?

Even a paedophile should be encouraged to work! We want them to keep busy and use their time constructively, just not around children. This is to remove them from temptation to reoffend as well as protect the children from risk. However, ex-cons have done their time and paid their debt to society.

Last edited by BigD on 31-May-2017 at 01:07 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 31-May-2017 1:10:31
#173 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
eople who have been in prison have been punished, locking them out of jobs is only making their situation worse.

convinced.. you might be wrong, you might be right, im not sure.. one question, how long does it take for you to pass judgement on someone on the net? few hours ago you might have defended him most furiously (likely based on hearsay) and now you simply swap sides? have some independant reasoning.. instead of taking next best accusation outof the bag. what comes next? the hitler thing?

Last edited by wawa on 31-May-2017 at 01:12 AM.

iggy 
Posted on 31-May-2017 1:12:08
#174 ]

@wawa

Don't put words in my mouth.
And I'm not taking sides, if I were to, I'd have to say I support Trevor.
And that Matt IS his partner (but he's picked less than perfect partners before).

So, this situation is completely an issue of whether or not AmigaKit supports its dealer network.
And we have no idea about that one way or another.

BUT, I started in retail electronics in the '80s.
AND, as a rule of thumb, back then I stopped carrying products when their margin fell below 15%.
These days, that figure would have to be even lower.

However, when it reaches a certain point, you're just performing charity work for the supplier.

I don't know if this is the case.
Aaron hasn't TOLD us what his experiences were like (could be any number of cause).

Then again, you all want to rule out mistreatment via lack of consideration, which really only leaves mistreatment via lack of compensation.

So if you want to abuse someone in business because he won't essential GIVE you stuff AND waste his time doing so, well, that IS so Amigan.

wawa 
Posted on 31-May-2017 1:13:41
#175 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

it isnt yours to tell not mine. we dont know what this is about, do we?

iggy 
Posted on 31-May-2017 1:14:51
#176 ]

@wawa

You've all told me what it can't be, right?
So, what's that leave?

You're a confusing bunch.
You'll pay dearly for some piece of crap you can't get any other way, but you'll screw your own mothers out of a dime if you can.
Or did I miss something back in the '80s and '90s when theft of software made it uneconomical for companies to supply the Amiga market?

Personally, I believe in fairly compensating my hardware and software vendors, but hey I appear to be atypical.

I'm off for tonight.
Draw your wagons in circle and mutter at yourselves for awhile.

Jim

Last edited by iggy on 31-May-2017 at 01:19 AM.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 31-May-2017 8:55:14
#177 ]

@Rob

You do know that's a silly example. Paedophiles are excluded from working with or near children. You do know a vast majority of people in the US are in prison for minor drug offenses? And these people are hurt because ANY criminal record destroys a lot of job opportunities.

Rob 
Posted on 31-May-2017 11:41:54
#178 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Rob

Quote:

convinced.. you might be wrong, you might be right, im not sure.. one question, how long does it take for you to pass judgement on someone on the net? few hours ago you might have defended him most furiously (likely based on hearsay) and now you simply swap sides? have some independant reasoning.. instead of taking next best accusation outof the bag. what comes next? the hitler thing?

Why are you replying to me?

Rob 
Posted on 31-May-2017 11:46:02
#179 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
You do know that's a silly example. Paedophiles are excluded from working with or near children.

Perhaps it was a bit of an extreme example but without a background check how would such people be excluded from working with children. With regard to petty crimes, it up to the employer who gets the job and not the person doing the background check.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 31-May-2017 12:12:04
#180 ]

@Rob

Because the employer can ask. People who have been convicted for pedophile charges are obligated to mention to mention their criminal past. If they don't, they have a much harder punishment waiting for them.

I have no problem with employers asking for criminal records, but the matter of fact is that background checks are mostly used to exclude people who committed petty crimes from jobs they need to build their lives up again.

I know it's a fault on the employers part that they refuse to hire these people, but companies that perform background checks are very complicit in this broken system. Usually, they're even the ones advocating background checks to companies that might not have bothered before, making the problem worse.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle