Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Frank:  31 mins ago
 amigakit:  38 mins ago
 matthey:  40 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 Gunnar:  58 mins ago
 K-L:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Marcian:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A1222 production now underway!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: A1222 production now underway!
Posted on 4-Aug-2023 11:45:35
#401 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:

Oh, and here's an entire thread dedicated to how the Amiga can retake the world's desktops by storm with user after user who believes that Amiga makes it possible...I realize this thread is mostly referencing OS4 but the delusions run just as deep there as its does with the OS3 believers.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39917&forum=14#768852

The Amiga is not ready for the Internet of Things (IoT) which companies like Raspberry Pi have exploited.

Raspberry Pi has focused on IoT and the education sectors.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Aug-2023 17:52:00
#402 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Anyhow you already do lots of stuff using webpages.

If this is something that interests you, have look here:

https://mqtt.org/software/

MQTT is in the application layer it lives on top of UDP,
our TCP/IP stack does support UDP, as long as it's IP4 it will work,
(only ip6 networks will be issue.)

As I guess, application can be controlling your home assistant, power and lighting.
perhaps you want to control your Amiga from Google Home assistant.
or maybe you want to control your lights and heating from your Amiga.

Grab the source code and get started! The only thing stopping you is yourself.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Aug-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Aug-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Aug-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Aug-2023 at 05:53 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 5-Aug-2023 0:58:56
#403 ]
Elite Member

ferrels Quote:

Matthey is a f@cking fraud who is a tractor tire and wheel salesman. Nothing more and nothing less. So yeah, when it comes to IT, he's a moron who uses Google and wikipedia to whip people into submission with volumes of useless info.

You couldn't just let me fade from Amigaworld.net after relentless troll and doxing attacks due to lack of moderation. Other doxing was removed when an obvious troll account owner was identified by name with a picture. I had my name identified, previous place of employment listed, a family members picture shown on a tractor I previously owned and a logo I designed shown which I guess doesn't rise to the level of doxing necessary for moderation. Neither did the level of trolling attacks and lies targeting me rise to the necessary level. I usually ignore trolls rather than fan the flames but I will respond to this repeat of lies from a known troll since you seem to be as much of an expert on me, Matthey, as you are on RISC-V and SiFive as all the inaccuracies on Wikipedia clearly demonstrate in your favor.

Less than 1% of my time working for that "agriculture business" was spent as a "tractor tire and wheel salesman". Most of my time was spent in steel wheel production and assembly. I operated, setup, maintained and repaired heavy industrial machinery including a custom wheel machine and hydraulic and mechanical presses up to 500 tons. I was doing most of the machine setups, often with custom tooling, for less skilled workers and running the wheel machine which was far from automated. When short handed which was common, I was often a machine operator and painter but could do many other jobs as we cross trained. I also did the job of a tool and die machinist creating both custom tooling and repair work. The business is old school where everything is repaired and maintained in house. If an old mechanical press with a 3 phase motor is single phasing, the motor is opened and the dust is cleaned out. Somebody crunches an 8" diameter punch that punches through 3/8" plate steel, a better one is made (smaller diameter punches were made with old bearing races) and when the arbor falls off the custom wheel machine you throw an old axle from an artillery piece into a bonfire to anneal it because it is too large to fit in your heat treating furnace even though it is a pain to machine unevenly annealed chromoly steel that work hardens. The business is a 4th generation "machinery company" that used to do other engineering type jobs including moving houses and building trailers before specializing on wheel fabrication.

I rarely worked in the office but I would be called into the office for computer problems despite the grease and stink from hard work in a shop without air conditioning. I could usually fix problems, I setup networking for what was a single POS office using Quickbooks, much improved the website from a single page website using my free time (and an Amiga) and started targeted Google Adwords (now Google Ads) online advertising. I rarely dealt directly with customers as a salesman or tech support as those positions were filled by "office" workers. Some of the office workers you really didn't want out in the shop operating heavy machinery as one lost a finger and another was using that 8" diameter punch that was crunched. I believe I played a significant role in "a major operational turnaround" due to online sales as well as increase in efficiency of shop labor due to my skills and old fashion hard work.

I left the business in 2009 after the housing mortgage crash decimated the economy. Despite the business being in better financial shape than when I arrived and the business being fairly defensive, management decided layoffs were necessary. I preferred voluntarily cutting hours by all workers starting with myself who needed time off to recoup my shoulders from the daily grind of a 14 pound grinder. We had tried a lower vibration model of grinder and I learned to grind with both hands but I was not able to push through the inflammation where I thought I could. I went from raw bench pressing 7 reps of 225 lbs without a spot to not being able to do one pushup in about a year. Repetitive injuries were not uncommon as another worker had carpal tunnel surgery likely from using the 8" diameter punch I redesigned to be several pounds lighter as well as improving the design by eliminating the screws through which it fractured by using a push fit of the punch onto the backup (a college football player initially had trouble using the tooling even after being lightened). The layoffs included workers that were grinding bands reducing my shoulder inflammation and I would have had to train replacements later who often didn't last. I felt the selection of workers to layoff was due to pet peeves of the President and he was not the only one sabotaging the business as the Vice President did too. Family business cancers are difficult to fix and sad to see. I was able to fix almost everything in the shop but I can't fix people who don't respect me and my opinions. I may be closer to a successful failure and no miracle Matt but I try my best not to be a fraud or a hypocrite. You can always call up the business and ask if I was a "fraud". They really shouldn't answer that question but they may anyway due to how absurd it is. They probably can answer if they would recommend me for another job and whether they would hire me back. I'm confident in the response and would welcome the result of your conversation here but that would expose the real "fraud" here wouldn't it?

The Amiga desktop "great hope" was strongest from the arrogant PPC AmigaOS 4 camp not the 68k AmigaOS 3 camp or me. I talked about retro, hobby, gaming and embedded markets while mentioning many times how even AmigaOS 4 was not competitive on the desktop and only half way "modernized". I did mention that the cheap "hobby" Raspberry Pi had stealthily taken desktop market share despite inadequacies and that similar 68k Amiga hardware would likely do the same. The RPi desktop market share may be minuscule as a percentage but likely consists of millions of users compared to PPC AmigaOS 4 hardware desktop use with hundreds of users. THEA500 Mini sold in the hundred of thousand of units just targeting Amiga retro games with overpriced lackluster ARM hardware using emulation indicating the potential for better mass produced hardware and tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of Amiga hobby/desktop users. Maybe I'm overly optimistic of what could be while pessimists stick their head in the ground and ignore reality. I understand that some Amiga parties are perpetual road blocks and criminals but Amiga Corporation could legally do a proper Amiga Maxi without them although it would be more difficult.

Last edited by matthey on 05-Aug-2023 at 02:17 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 5-Aug-2023 1:22:59
#404 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
You couldn't just let me fade from Amigaworld.net after relentless troll and doxing attacks due to lack of moderation. Other doxing was removed when an obvious troll account owner was identified by name with a picture. I had my name identified, previous place of employment listed, a family members picture shown on a tractor I previously owned and a logo I designed shown which I guess doesn't rise to the level of doxing necessary for moderation. Neither did the level of trolling attacks and lies targeting me rise to the necessary level.

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot!? Going to that degree of maliciousness over differing opinions about an obscure computer OS? Really?

@anyone-involved-with-doxing

Time to take a step back, and reassess what's important in life. Maybe try to relearn the art of strongly disagreeing with another's opinion without turning into a total douche-bag.

It's possible to disagree strongly, and still be friends...

Hans

agami 
Posted on 6-Aug-2023 3:56:10
#405 ]

@Hans

Quote:
Hans wrote:
@matthey
...Maybe try to relearn the art of strongly disagreeing with another's opinion without turning into a total douche-bag.

It's possible to disagree strongly, and still be friends...

Hans

Hey now. Where was that douche-bag labeling righteousness when
Quote:
@ferrels wrote:
... It's usually the same old clowns, mental midgets, social rejects, and psychiatric patients who have never owned another computer before or since they bought their A500/1000 back in 1990. And AmigaWorld is heavily populated with all the aforementioned type of people.

"Heavily populated" is another way of saying many.
So many of us here on AW.net are clowns, mental midgets, social rejects, and psychiatric patients, and that is not a douche-bag move because he didn't call out specific individuals, and therefore that could exclude you or me?

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 6-Aug-2023 18:12:50
#406 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

Amiga NG/ppc is Amiga as from Commodore only better because faster.
My Amiga 500 1 GHz (Sam460) works like my old Amiga 1200 but a thousand times faster.
I switch from retro on Amiga 31 years ago and dont want to go back.
Sod off and get lost.
I'm also not interested in switch to x86 or arm.
x86 and arm is boring.
Provide something that will be as good as win/osx/lnx
something good enough to sell to my customers
or also Sod off and get lost.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 6-Aug-2023 18:16:42
#407 ]
Cult Member

I will buy Amiga 1222 because I like Amiga NG.
It is Amiga that Commodore will made around 2001 if still exist.
For me Amiga 1222 will give more fun than my old 1200 from C=.

agami 
Posted on 7-Aug-2023 5:24:53
#408 ]

@ppcamiga1

Quote:
ppcamiga1 wrote:
@matthey

My AmigaOne 500 1 GHz (Sam460) works like my old Amiga 1200 but a thousand times faster.
For me Amiga 1222 will give more fun than my old 1200 from C=.

1000x faster? Why am I getting the feeling that 31+ years ago someone sold you a C= 128 with an A1200 sticker on it.
Or maybe you just don't know how to have fun.

Also,
Quote:
I will buy Amiga 1222 because I like Amiga NG.
It is Amiga that Commodore will made around 2001 if still exist.
I switch from retro on Amiga 31 years ago and dont want to go back.

By buying something that is equal to a personal computer from 2001, you ARE in essence "going back".

Hans 
Posted on 7-Aug-2023 14:21:03
#409 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
Hey now. Where was that douche-bag labeling righteousness when ...

Heh. I skipped over ferrels' post (his posts usually aren't worth reading). Doxing someone is a new low for this forum.

Hans

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Aug-2023 21:33:26
#410 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

On emulation I outperform most PPC platforms with pure processing power. You do not want to understand obviously. Even if the hardware is faster NG offers not the same fun for many users as a retro platform (and this includes V4 and PiStorm). i (as most here) use modern hardware and modern OS for daily tasks already, what is special about your NG on PPC hardware? It runs faster but without new software, no memory protection, no drivers. If I use a retro system I do not expect that but from a system expensive like Tabor I would of course expect that.

And if you say ARM or X86 is boring.... Commodore would have switched to X86 like Apple did

Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Aug-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Aug-2023 at 09:38 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Aug-2023 at 09:37 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Aug-2023 at 09:34 PM.

ktadd 
Posted on 7-Aug-2023 21:47:31
#411 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Even if the hardware is faster NG offers not the same fun as a retro platform

Why do people here think that there idea of fun has to be the same as other people's idea of fun? I find it fun to see if I can find ways or write scripts and programs which allow me to use my X1000 as a daily driver as much as possible I used to do the same thing with my decked out A3000 up until I bought a uA1 in 2004. It's that challenge that's fun for me. I can see how using classic Amigas is fun as well. To each his/her own. Why all the animosity?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 7-Aug-2023 22:04:55
#412 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Well, if you like coding on a big-endian CPU’s, AmigaONE are perfect, its good system from bringing your old 680x0 code/programs into a more modern system friendly system. I really don’t think AGA has been the way to go. Perhaps modernizing on maxed out classic system can be first step. Once you have done that you can take advantage of new graphic cards, sound cards, and make your games/programs even better. Love to see some of old 2D games modernized for a 3d engine.

The memory protection in AmigaOS4, help developers and users debug software, and often stops a program bringing down the system. It works, it’s not perfect.

I also think many drivers we have are good, and HD/RX drivers, as well as the latest M2 driver is amazing, it does boost relatively modest hardware.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:26 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:18 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 7-Aug-2023 23:03:54
#413 ]
Elite Member

@ktadd

Quote:
Why do people here think that there idea of fun has to be the same as other people's idea of fun? I find it fun to see if I can find ways or write scripts and programs which allow me to use my X1000 as a daily driver as much as possible I used to do the same thing with my decked out A3000 up until I bought a uA1 in 2004. It's that challenge that's fun for me. I can see how using classic Amigas is fun as well. To each his/her own. Why all the animosity?

Surely you've be been here long enough to answer your own question eh Been decades of this nonsense on any thread that even hints of anything related to OS4

Last edited by klx300r on 07-Aug-2023 at 11:06 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Aug-2023 7:13:53
#414 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

herr szonwejs you should remeber that we also have pc
and may easily correct your bullshit about speed of emulation

Qemu on my i7 is still little slower than my Amiga 500 1 GHz.
My Amiga 500 1 GHz is nice computer but not so fast.
My G4 mm with mos still run circles around qemu on any pc.

If Amiga 1222 will be just little faster than Amiga 500 1 GHz
it will be still faster than qemu on any pc.

x86/arm is boring. it is job.
want x86/arm ?
Provide something good enough to sell to our customers.
Something like Mac Os X mac gui and graphics on top of unix.
Start coding Amiga gui with szulc.
after 27 years aros still has not working mui open source clone.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Aug-2023 7:19:03
#415 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Even if slow and outdated my Amiga 500 1 GHz is still
one thousand times faster than my old Amiga 1200.

pixie 
Posted on 8-Aug-2023 9:47:55
#416 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Quote:

Even if slow and outdated my Amiga 500 1 GHz is still
one thousand times faster than my old Amiga 1200.

So what? WinUAE on my system is about 4000x times faster, which using RTG you get no problems usually related to emulation, which is emulating the chipset accurately for games and such, you have the very same problem but you have a subpar CPU! Which apps do you use that you wouldn't rather them to be faster? Why pay more for 1000x when you can use it on your PC which gives 4 times as much?

pixie 
Posted on 8-Aug-2023 9:54:06
#417 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Quote:
after 27 years aros still has not working mui open source clone

You have MUI already open sourced, what's the issue? Zune doesn't work? It just goes on showing how much you know of what you talk about... MUI 3.8 is one thing, then you have a myriade of libraries that are scattered all over the place, needed by different apps.

I believe you're really a nice chap face to face, but somehow you feel greater then you are in a place where no limits are applied to you. You seems so courageous but its nothing more then cowardice in disguise...

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Aug-2023 11:57:04
#418 ]
Elite Member

@ktadd

if you had read it carefully I wrote "for many users" and not "for all users". And what you reacted to I wriote "retro platform". So you think AmigaOS is retro?

Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:23 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Aug-2023 11:59:06
#419 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

I have tested my bullshit in emulation (Aros 68k in WinUAE) and there outperformed most of the PPC hardware except X1000 and X5000. I did not talk about QEMU and am not interested in it. It was a big test where users converted a file and recorded and published the time so you could compare. I used a unoptimized 68k binary for it.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:12 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Aug-2023 12:06:20
#420 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I also do not think that AGA is the best soution. I could not live without better screenmodes, the original screen modes of AGA are much too low for me and not 24bit. Even my last amiga in 90s (A4000/30) was with graphic card and multiscan monitor. But AGA today is needed for games.

And I use a modernized classic system based on my aros distribution with everything included. i am currently doing last optimizations (WinUAE) and will then start with the V4 version that will be based on this version. I am already looking forward to see it on real hardware

you have all in aros already what you ask for like USB support, RTG, network stack. It is a pure retro system for me despite that. i am happy with it. The NG platforms were planned to become real world platforms but never had success with it. I know that MorphOS thanks to recent updates can be used better now (f.e. wayfarer) but finally all are far lagging behind vompared to the mainstream platforms. But I do not want to say that my view is the only valid view. If someone prefers NG why not, even if I do not share the view. I only reacted to nonsense spread here by certain users who insult others and think their view is the only truth... you know whom I mean

regarding modernizing old software, that is difficult even if you have sources. And the question is what for? Example for me is Personal Paint, I bought the new version for 68k. There was not much new in it. It runs on RTG and there is a PPC binary now running faster. And now? On modern platforms there is all sort of software available that is much better than that, partly even free of charge. For me there is no added value in it. I see it as hobby and as a retro platform and do not expect it to be on same level as the big platforms. But everybody its own. If you like it then have fun with it.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle