Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 78 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  24 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  36 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  µ-A1 news update
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: µ-A1 news update
Posted on 2-Sep-2004 10:45:53
# ]

@Crumb

Tell you what then. Find 10,000 people who can guarantee they'll buy a G4 powered uA1 and then take your pettition to Eyetech and ask for the change. Otherwise what the point of endlessly going on about somthing that is not cost effective to redesign and implement by the people who are making the damn thing.

(EDIT: If 10,000 is enough to make a profit worth pursuing)

Report this post  
Crumb 
Posted on 2-Sep-2004 11:04:15
#222 ]
Elite Member

@DruidPoet

Eyetech wouldn't have to redesign anything. The cpu would have the same number of pins, the voltage is selected using jumpers just as the cpu multiplier. In addition to that one of the Hyperion guys already has one (Rogue, I think).

It's just a matter of Eyetech doing it or not. It's obvious that the MicroA1 would sell better if it used a 1Ghz 7447 instead of a 750FX.

Eyetech want to milk the cow of Amiga until they get blood... the 750FX costs around 43pounds and they say it costs 170 pounds!

I doubt that they ever sell 10000 MicroA1-C at that price (666?). Come on, I doubt they can sell 3000 units.

If I found 10000 people willing to pre-pay I wouldn't have to deal with Eyetech

Profile     Report this post  
Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 2-Sep-2004 11:08:15
#223 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:

Crumb wrote:
@DruidPoet

Eyetech want to milk the cow of Amiga until they get blood... the 750FX costs around 43pounds and they say it costs 170 pounds!

I doubt that they ever sell 10000 MicroA1-C at that price (666?). Come on, I doubt they can sell 3000 units.

If I found 10000 people willing to pre-pay I wouldn't have to deal with Eyetech

Watch your step there crumb.

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Sep-2004 11:10:45
# ]

@Crumb

" the 750FX costs around 43pounds and they say it costs 170 pounds"

NO THEY BLOODY DONT!

They have broken down the costs of the machine that includes development costs, wages, booking a production line and everything else that goes into making a new Amiga. They clearly state this.

And as for milking the Amiga Cow... You really don't have a clue do you? Have you any idea of how small the profits are in this market?

Report this post  
Oppressor 
Posted on 2-Sep-2004 11:22:27
#225 ]

@DruidPoet

Milking the Amiga until they get blood, having no clue and small profits are not mutually exclusive... SCNR

Mark 
Posted on 2-Sep-2004 11:22:48
#226 ]
Team Member

@Crumb

You quite obviously dont have a clue about anything to do with running a business. The cost of parts are only a small cost. You then have a series of fixed and variable costs that have to be recovered before you then make a profit. Even the variable costs are not entirely dependant on the numbers produced. In such a small market, those fixed costs (staff, rent/rates, etc) have to be divided in some way across the projected number of units sold (small in this case), all in all it is likely to cost more for them to get the unit to you than it does to buy it in the first place.

After all these things have been taken into consideration the profit margin (and I mean profit, not the margin to allow recovery of development costs and support etc) would be very small. And I know Alan doesnt make a huge profit from any of this yet (although I hope he has got/will get his huge order, and does make his money he deserves it after all the heartache and grief), I know I've seen the car he drives

Mark

Chunder 
Re: ?-A1 news update
Posted on 4-Sep-2004 16:39:40
#227 ]

@thread

Hey! Where'd the "mu" symbol go from the subject of this topic? I could have sworn that it used to be there... now it's a question mark...

Eric_S 
Posted on 4-Sep-2004 16:47:39
#228 ]
Team Member

@Chunder

It's the character encoding that's changed into a deafult Unicode (UTF-8) instead of Western (ISO 8859-1).

If you're running Firefox go to View-->Character Encoding and change it to Western (ISO 8859-1)

PulsatingQuasar 
Posted on 4-Sep-2004 17:33:02
#229 ]
Cult Member

@ALL

Lets just drop this topic, OK. It's now 12 pages long, dragged on by Crumb because he has no idea what he is talking about.

If you have so much R&D costs in hardware and such a small user base then prices are indeed high. I'd rather have them high than low and no chance of a CX motherboard with a new chipset.

We can make this a 20 page thread and Eyetech deciding to put a G4 on it, it will not change the fact that Crumb won't buy it anyhow.

Chunder 
Posted on 4-Sep-2004 17:44:19
#230 ]

@Eric_S

Nope - it's back to normal now, and I'm still in the same browser window that I was previously, and haven't changed any settings.
Perhaps it was something on the server that changed after the crash? If it was, then it was probably the least of the worries

Eric_S 
Posted on 4-Sep-2004 18:17:33
#231 ]
Team Member

@Chunder

It was the standard char set of the site I was refering to.

It was an (iirc) apache error in the aw.net database that caused an override of the standard char set that's specified in the html of the site.

zarniwhoop 
Posted on 4-Sep-2004 19:49:19
#232 ]

@mbilla

actually, from what I've been told it's almost impossible to get reliable floppy diskettes any more.

that's why I haven't added Ross's patch for floppies to my experimentation with a 2.6 kernel.

Z

mbilla 
Posted on 4-Sep-2004 20:15:49
#233 ]

@Crumb
Quote:
It's just a matter of Eyetech doing it or not. It's obvious that the MicroA1 would sell better if it used a 1Ghz 7447 instead of a 750FX.

Check this thread to see why they choose the 750GX instead of the G4 7447A

and your PDAs and laptops ...
Psion 5mx Pro - Psion NetBook - Apple iPhone - MacBook Pro

Crumb 
Posted on 5-Sep-2004 21:48:41
#234 ]
Elite Member

@PulsatingQuasar

"We can make this a 20 page thread and Eyetech deciding to put a G4 on it, it will not change the fact that Crumb won't buy it anyhow."

If it used a 1Ghz/7447 I would buy one. But I won't buy a 750FX based computer...

anyway, I don't think the price is OK, and I don't like the fact of it using a G3 instead of a superior G4 (I could live with a 750VX but afaik it isn't finished yet).

So you think I don't have a clue? There are companies like Genesi selling computers for a small market at a (still expensive, but at least more reasonable) price. And they are competing for the same market. It's quite obvious that the price difference will make many people who was waiting for OS4 rethink in which product they are going to invest their money.

@Mark
"You quite obviously dont have a clue about anything to do with running a business. "

Probably not, as most of people of this thread, but I know very well when a product is expensive or not. This product IS expensive even if we are in a small market.

Crumb 
Posted on 5-Sep-2004 21:58:15
#235 ]
Elite Member

@mbilla

Check the web page you have given, click on a 1.3Ghz 7447 (using Altivec) and extrapolate the values to a 1Ghz version. Click also on a 750GX. You'll see that the G4 is more than TWICE faster.

@All:

Don't worry, I won't tell you more that i find the microA1 expensive. If you want to buy one is your decission (and your money). I whished it was a little cheaper...

Georg 
Posted on 5-Sep-2004 23:38:58
#236 ]

@Mark

Quote:
You quite obviously dont have a clue about anything to do with running a business. The cost of parts are only a small cost. You then have ...

One would at least expect things to get cheaper over time. The difference between what you could get (performance, features) for a certain amount of money in the PC market 2 years ago and now is huge. How does it look like with the A1? If it's similiar good then the catch-up has stayed constant. If it's only half as good, things got worse -> even more to catch up. If it's not really good at all, ...

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 6-Sep-2004 0:50:00
#237 ]
Elite Member

@Georg

The it's quite good, the only problems is that is unfinished and as unfinished product it needs more development,

I'm waiting for the update

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle