Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Comi:  5 mins ago
 Gunnar:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  25 mins ago
 vox:  51 mins ago
 zipper:  54 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  [Poll] Poll: OpenOffice: Are you interested in joining a porting effort
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Poll : Are you interested in joining a team to port OpenOffice ?
Yes. I am a programmer and I would like to help porting
Yes, I am not a programmer, but I would like to help with non-development stuff (admin stuff, etc)
Yes, but I don't have enough time, but would like to contribute financially (bounties, infrastructure like servers, webspace, cvs space etc).
No

PosterThread
Rogue 
Re: [Poll] Poll: OpenOffice: Are you interested in joining a porting effort
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 9:24:43
#141 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@wegster

Quote:
What version of Python?

That was 2.3.4. In the meantime a new version 2.4 became available, I have yet to check this one and see if I can apply my build files to that - the modifications required to get the initial batch of modules working was absolutely minimal.

I only had a standalone python interpreter, no shared library though. My goal was to have a shared libpython as well, but I don't think that this would be required for this project, as Python is only used during the build.

Depending on the amount of functionality, my port could already work, but I guess that the xml file support and a few others things would be required as well, but like I said, it was rather easy getting there and I don't expect too many problems going on from there..

Profile     Report this post  
EntilZha 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 9:52:32
#142 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@digitaldisaster

Quote:
I don't really know anything about the first one. We will be using GCC to compile C/C++ on PPC. As there is a port of OOo to LinuxPPC port allready which will use GCC how much work will be requiered here if any.

The LinuxPPC bindings should work with little or no modification. Linux PPC also uses an unmodified System V.4 ABI, the same one we use on OS4. That part should be a non-brainer.

Quote:
With number two dlopen is part of the IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (POSIX v3) standards. How well does OS4 support this? Is it likely to meen a lot of tweaking?

This part is of course more difficult. We've been working on something that can mimic a Linux shared library for some time. Basically, it's compiling a library with base-register relative addressing of the data segments. Then, a small program constructs something similar to a Linux PLT, a small piece of code per function that sets up the base registers and jumps into the library.... This is still incomplete, although I've built a shared library with it... It's not automated yet, so there's still some work required...

Plus, the resulting library is not a "real" OS4 library... it _is_ a library with a single interface that implements the "dlsym" function (dlopen/dlclose are just OpenLibrary/CloseLibrary), but the resulting library functions are not called through an interface like normal libraries, but directly via a single function pointer. The main reason for this was really for porting stuff over from other systems...

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

EntilZha 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 9:54:58
#143 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@wegster

Quote:
What version of Python?

Dunno, it's been a while... probably an older version, but the changes where minimal, anyway...

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

wegster 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 9:58:04
#144 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

RE: Python 2.3.4

Seriously, that's great. It sounds like you guys (you and Enthilza (sp?) ) have ported quite a bit of 'truly useful stuff'- one of you said you have a POSIX API port, a _recent_ (heh, more recent than I use @ work by far) Python port, parts of the gcc/GNU toolchain and utils, and I'm not sure offhand what else, but remember many times reading a thread to think, 'that's awesome, some core tools are already ported' after thinking 'nothing' was.

The Python issue for me is 'more important' than OO, mainly because it can be used as a decent high level language for people to build (and borrow) existing utilities from. It's not Java, but it's still portable like Java with existing useful code out there (and some pretty good standard modules).

One more time (seriously), to whomever has worked on the gcc port, GNU tools ports, Python, and POSIX:

Any chance these are publicly available anywhere as of yet, or can be made to be so via a 'devel tools' section somewhere?

Last edited by wegster on 06-Jan-2005 at 09:58 AM.

EntilZha 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 10:18:11
#145 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@wegster

Quote:
parts of the gcc/GNU toolchain and utils,

Note that only the initial work on the 2.95.3 compiler was done by me. The 3.4 work (which was much more work) was done by Marcus Comsted.

Plus, there are a lot of other people that put up more software on OS4depot...

Rogue 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 10:20:20
#146 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@wegster

Quote:
POSIX API port,

Stefan Burstroem, one of the OS 4 development team (and author of IBrowse of course) has ported ixemul.library to OS4, although it required changes in the kernel which aren't public yet.

Quote:
a _recent_ (heh, more recent than I use @ work by far) Python port,

Note that this port hasn't progressed very far, it is really only capable of running very simple scripts. It would need another weekend or so of work to get it into an alpha state. I would also like to add a few Amiga-specific modules, for example a Reaction and/or MUI binding to allow for GUIs.

Quote:
Any chance these are publicly available anywhere as of yet, or can be made to be so via a 'devel tools' section somewhere?

Over time I guess we will release everything we have, but some stuff is still too much prelininary to be usable. It is mostly a timeing issue, because right now EntilZha and me are also working again on Warp3D and other important OS 4 bits that take a lot of time.

Again,

Last edited by Rogue on 06-Jan-2005 at 01:00 PM.

PulsatingQuasar 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 10:27:24
#147 ]
Cult Member

I would like to help but I don't have enough time I think to do anything on the programming front. For that to happen I need job in which I can make less hours or a job in which I can get payed for doing nothing.

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 11:54:58
#148 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
...right now EntilZha and me are also working again on Warp3D and other important OS 4 bits that take a lot of time.

ahhh. back to some fun stuff
how's "snap" progressing?

byebye...

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 12:29:24
#149 ]
Cult Member

@olegil

Quote:
CVS (allthough I would STRONGLY suggest we begin by porting SVN instead. Once you try that there's NO going back, I promise)

I too prefer SVN over CVS, i really love it

Rogue 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 13:00:37
#150 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Nibunnoichi

SVN is subversion, IIRC? In that case, it needs the Apache Runtime layer. Shouldn't be hard to port either, but could be done by a single person as a side project

Rogue 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 13:03:38
#151 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@MichaelMerkel

Quote:
ahhh. back to some fun stuff

Yeah, I needed that. Working with more modern hardware like the Radeon and R200 is much more fun as well

Quote:
how's "snap" progressing?

I'm not up to date on that since it is done by someone else. Work is well underway though, but I cannot say anything about the timeframe - I'm not too well informed about the scope of the project or the progress so far. It's in capable hands, though.

Belxjander 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 13:16:32
#152 ]
Cult Member

@EntilZha

I would definitely enjoy being part of a programming team though I have a couple of major issues with any development work at this time...

1st I only currently have an A4000...
I would need access to an AmigaOS4 installed AmigaONE system with full development suite

2nd, being in NZ means all the exchange rates at best suck badly...
any recommendations where I can get a uA1 G4 system ?

my only "other" system is an older PowerMac clone box I am trying to get rid of...

other than that I am open to discussing any particular issues and attempting to help formulate some sort of working code to meet problems

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 13:24:43
#153 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
SVN is subversion, IIRC?

Yes it is, and it's great! You can find it here: http://subversion.tigris.org/

As for Python it'd really rock to have it on Amiga!!
There used to be another port of it here: http://www.monkeyhouse.eclipse.co.uk/amiga/python/

but i don't know if it's still maintained, and it's 68K only IIRC.

olegil 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 13:36:50
#154 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

What's with the nick, anyway? You only operating at 50% of full capacity or something?

(crash course in Japanese for those who didn't get it: "ni" == two, "ichi" == one, "bun" == part and "X no Y" == Y of X, so "nibunnoichi" translates to "one of two parts", aka half )

At work we started using SVN over two years ago. It was in alpha then, but we immediately saw that it was good. When I started working here, the number of guys working on the same projects went from one to two, so the need for a revision control system popped up almost right away. Both of us having tried CVS before we agreed not to go there

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Rogue 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 13:42:01
#155 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:
Yes it is, and it's great! You can find it here: http://subversion.tigris.org

There had been talks about a port on the OS 4 developers list, mostly because it apparently handles binary files better than CVS (can't say for sure, I never used it but from what I've heard quite a number of people think it's better than CVS).

Nothing done yet, though. I had, at one point, had a look at the apr layer, and I don't think it is difficult to port (shameless plug: even more so with the pthreads library EntilZha just uplaoded to os4depot.net ), but I didn't do any work yet, although I would estimate the apr to be a weekend job.

Problem is, I don't really have weekends at the time being

Quote:
There used to be another port of it here: http://www.monkeyhouse.eclipse.co.uk/amiga/python/

but i don't know if it's still maintained, and it's 68K only IIRC.

Yes, I know. IIRC the guy wanted to have an AmigaOne in exchange for the rights to use it, but I'm afraid that this is outside our means - we need to first and foremost staff our own developers with things like that, so you start to do calculations, and if OpenSource is involved you rather do it yourself then. Not that I am happy with that - in an ideal world we would be supplying developers with machines, but sadly this isn't an ideal world

Foody 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 13:56:09
#156 ]

@EntilZha

What if a person doesn't own an AmigaOne? What if a person own classic Amiga or WinUAE with OS 3.9 installed, can one still join in porting OpenOffice?

EntilZha 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 14:10:04
#157 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Foody

Quote:
What if a person doesn't own an AmigaOne? What if a person own classic Amiga or WinUAE with OS 3.9 installed, can one still join in porting OpenOffice?

Thats a good question, and I can't really answer that... It depends on whether OS4.0 features are necessary/make work easier....

cHaOs667 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 14:14:28
#158 ]
Cult Member

@EntilZha

Great 44 Developers *gg*

Hmm i thought a littlebit about a port of OOo and i think whe should write our own AmigaOffice App that was powere by OOo in fact that OOo requires to much resources and its a bit overloaded. So we can write our own Amiga stylish GUI and port only the features we need

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 14:18:25
#159 ]
Cult Member

@olegil

Quote:
What's with the nick, anyway? You only operating at 50% of full capacity or something?

Never saw it in that way but, hey, it could be true!
(it comes from Ranma 1/2 anyway)

At my work we too ditched CVS in favor of SVN.

Mr.Return 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 14:18:47
#160 ]

@Foody

Quote:

Either he/she buys an A1 or faces bad luck I'd say. We want to make use of the great OS 4 features, don't we ?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle