Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 172 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

jPV,  AmiKit,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 jPV:  1 min ago
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 AmiKit:  2 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  24 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  25 mins ago
 Karlos:  33 mins ago
 Hypex:  45 mins ago
 OldFart:  54 mins ago
 Vidar:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Enhancer questions
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Xenic 
Enhancer questions
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 16:05:14
#1 ]

I can't find any documentation for the USB PTP Driver in the new Enhancer (v1.3) package.
The changes only state that it has support for iOS devices. It would be nice to know the following:
1. What constitutes an iOS device (Apple only?)?
2. What iOS devices are available?
3. What happens when I plug in an iOS device?
4. What is the purpose of connecting to an iOS device?
5. Can you use an iOS device to connect to the Internet?
6. Can I control my Amiga from the iOS device?
7. What benefits does the Enhancer PTP driver have over the OS4 PTP driver?

I've never used an iOS device and others may not either.

Last edited by Xenic on 20-Jul-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Amigo1 
Re: Enhancer questions
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 17:18:14
#2 ]

@Xenic

Quote:

Xenic wrote:
I can't find any documentation for the USB PTP Driver in the new Enhancer (v1.3) package.
The changes only state that it has support for iOS devices. It would be nice to know the following:
1. What constitutes an iOS device (Apple only?)?
2. What iOS devices are available?
3. What happens when I plug in an iOS device?
4. What is the purpose of connecting to an iOS device?
5. Can you use an iOS device to connect to the Internet?
6. Can I control my Amiga from the iOS device?

I've never used an iOS device and others may not either.

1. A Device which has iOS installed. More information here: iOS at Apple and iOS at Wikipedia. So unless someone managed to install iOS on a non-Apple device, then it's very likely "Apple only".
2. Have a look at www.apple.com or https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-10/ there is a list of devices compatible with iOS 10.
3. A window opens on the front screen (usually Workbench) and all pictures and Videos available on the Photos Library of the iOS device are displayed. Eventually it takes some time to list them all if you selected the thumbnails preview option in the PTP Window.
4. The same purpose of connecting any other device using PTP. Its one of many ways to transfer pictures and videos from your devices (in this case Cameras) to your Amiga.
5. If the question is: Can you use an iOS device to "connect the Amiga to the internet" through the iOS device, then the answer is no. But yes, usually you can use an iOS device to connect to the internet.
6. No, as far as I know, that has nothing to do with the Picture Transfer Protocol.
7. It recognises iOS devices and lets you transfer Videos/Pictures from you iPhone/iPad/iPod to your Amiga.

hope that helps

BCP 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 18:15:22
#3 ]

@Xenic

Hopefully the version in the Enhancer package actually works. With the standard OS4.1 FE version, when connecting an IPhone, its recognized, but there is a "Failed to open Session -> Invalid Parameter" error message. I assume it should open up a window with all the photos available on the IPhone and allow their importation.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

amigakit 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 18:37:00
#4 ]
Amiga Kit

@BCP

Yes, you are correct, the version with the OS4 does not work with any Apple iOS products.

So I purchased an IPhone to send to the developer, Rene, in order to get iOS working. The PTP USB driver has been re-written from the ground up and now has good Apple iOS support (iPhone/iPad) plus selected Android support. He did a great job and we are so pleased with the results!

Another new feature is that the Enhancer Software version supports multiple devices connected at the same time, whereas the original did not.

Xenic 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 19:15:45
#5 ]

@all
Thanks to all who responded. I guess I'm "apple ignorant" because I've never owned an Apple Product. The fact that PTP has selected Android support might be of interest and
maybe that should have been stated somewhere (or maybe I just didn't find it).

broadblues 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 19:18:01
#6 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Xenic

iOS device simply means iPhone or iPad, it may have been clearer to say that instead of 'iOS device', though I prefer iThing

PTP is Picture Transfer Protocol, as such the USB driver allows you to transfer pictures from your camera to your AmigaOS machine, René W Olsen, the author, has fixed a couple of bugs and identified a couple of quirks in the Apple version of the protocol that prevented the older driver from working with iThingies.

It's worth noting that the same fixes also allow Nicon Coolpix cameras to work again, they broke in the last public version of the release bundled with the OS as far as I remember.

Quote:

It works with more cameras, phones etc including the above mentioned types, also android phones / tablets work as well (your mileage may vary from device to device and I'm sure feedback would be welcome if problems are encountered, though not every odditty is bug in the driver, for example my phone pauses scanning for quite a while on first scan, but does the same on linux, so the issue is the phone not the driver).

It allows multiple simultaneous device connection.

I believe it manages thumbnails more efficiently, so that they display faster and memory is not exhausted if you have billions of photos on the attached camera.

Some GUI tweeks best explained by using it....

BCP 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 19:40:09
#7 ]

@amigakit

Thank you..., guess I'll have to finally buy the Enhancer pack. I've been holding off until I can find a Radeon R7 250X.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

amigakit 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 20:23:51
#8 ]
Amiga Kit

@BCP

Thanks, we really appreciate your support! The development costs are significant and every sale is very important for future investment in the next version. Four public releases so far since May 2016 and the work continues.

Xenic 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 20:57:43
#9 ]

@amigakit

I had to revert to the system clock because there doesn't appear to be any way to open the Enhancer clock on other other screens. In a Hex reader I see what appears to be a PUBSCREEN option but I can't get it to work as a Tooltype or shell argument. It doesn't even appear to use AmigaDOS readargs because entering "Clock ?" in a shell just produces an error saying it can't find a picture. In the digital format it has a grey border around what looks like a simulation of a window toolbar. Strangely, Snoopy shows it copying it's icon into the T:directory with the AmigDOS 'Copy" command. If the Enhancer clock is replacing the system clock, I believe it should have all the features of the System clock + enhancements. Since "work continues" those issues will hopefully be addressed in the next release.

P.S. The Calendar program won't run on another public screen either. It's also copying it's own icon to the T: directory for some reason.

daveyw 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 22:06:03
#10 ]

@amigakit

Would be nice to see some support for MTP. I haven't been able to get it to work with my Blackberry Android (of course, it's annoying that BB ditched their perfectly useable method of USB and adopted MTP, but that's another issue...). I posted a query on the Hyperion site but got no response.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

Amigo1 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 8:25:53
#11 ]

@Xenic

it is copying the icons to T: too here...
Well, T: is a temporary directory anyway and it does not bother me to have 10.136 Bytes used by two icons, but I wonder why they have to be there.

zzd10h 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 10:40:08
#12 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Xenic

"I see what appears to be a PUBSCREEN option but I can't get it to work as a Tooltype"

SCREEN tooltype was not implemented, you should have seen Ringhio APPNOTIFY_PubScreenName parameter instead.

But I just added SCREEN tooltype now in Clock and Calendar.

Last edited by zzd10h on 21-Jul-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Last edited by zzd10h on 21-Jul-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Xenic 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 13:34:52
#13 ]

@zzd10h
Quote:
But I just added SCREEN tooltype now in Clock and Calendar.

Please make it "PUBSCREEN" for opening on an existing public screen. A "SCREEN" option traditionally implies that the program will open on it's own screen.

EDIT: It would also be nice if you could add a CLI interface with AmigaDOS Readargs so the Clock can be opened from a shell or script. For example, I currently open a digital clock on my Workbench screen dragbar and an analog clock beside Odyssey on my Internet screen. Without a CLI interface, I would need to make a copy of Clock with a different name so I could have 2 sets of Tooltypes and start both clocks with "wbrun".

Last edited by Xenic on 21-Jul-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 13:39:59
#14 ]
Elite Member

@daveyw

Yes I was wondering about MTP. Not even OSX PPC has support. I know why they did it so the block device wasn't exposed on the mount. But choosing a protocol that only works in Windows and works okay in Linux is limiting. The could have included a MSD emulator that exposed a virtual block device and created blocks on the fly so it could still work at a safe level. Maybe there is one but only for root likely. I've used AirDroid with Odyssey and it did work once.

zzd10h 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 13:42:17
#15 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Xenic

I use the same tooltype name, SCREEN, than in XDock (that you requested IIRC)

Xenic 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 14:25:46
#16 ]

@zzd10h
Quote:
I use the same tooltype name, SCREEN, than in XDock (that you requested IIRC)

You're the author so you can do what you want. I only mention it because all the other Workbench utilities follow the same standard and use PUBSCREEN tooltype and shell argument to specify an existing public screen to open on. It's just my personal opinion that replacements for Workbench utilities should follow the same standard.

However, even the OS4 dev team have added new Workbench utilities that don't follow any standards. For example, SYS:Utilities/FileCompare doesn't appear to have any tooltypes to set the dimensions or pubscreen to open on. As a result, I have to use a public screen manager to trick those utilities into opening on another screen (like using FileCompare on my Dopus4 screen).

DC_Edge 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 19:04:50
#17 ]

Ios is from Cisco Systems
I wonder how many it costs apple to use their copyrighted name..

daveyw 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 19:53:46
#18 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@daveyw

Yes I was wondering about MTP. Not even OSX PPC has support. I know why they did it so the block device wasn't exposed on the mount.

That's what they said they did it for. They actually did it to enforce DRM.

BlackBerry 10 had a great solution. You inserted an SD card in your phone. This was accessible to the device. You plugged your phone into the computer. The card mounted as a volume and was no longer accesible to the device. It made my phone into a USB drive.

The MTP "solution" is severly crippled by comparison (on purpose).

It really ******** me off that M$, Apple, Google, etc, want to make devices into little black boxes that they have control over what you put in them.

broadblues 
Posted on 22-Jul-2017 0:10:45
#19 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@daveyw

Quote:

They actually did it to enforce DRM.

Nonesense MTP does not enforce DRM and android phones can mount the SD Card as a USB mass storage in exactly the way you describe for Backberry, it just requires enabling developer, mode which anyone can do with a few clicks on the phone settings.

daveyw 
Posted on 22-Jul-2017 3:46:55
#20 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@daveyw

Nonesense MTP does not enforce DRM and android phones can mount the SD Card as a USB mass storage in exactly the way you describe for Backberry, it just requires enabling developer, mode which anyone can do with a few clicks on the phone settings.

I have done this with my phone, but I still can't access the SD card with AmigaOS 4.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle