Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  4 mins ago
 Bugala:  24 mins ago
 Hypex:  40 mins ago
 Birbo:  43 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 Dragster:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  Do You Remember why?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
cHaOs667 
Re: Do You Remember why?
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:06:56
#21 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi

yeah but if you put the # of voices for 'AMIGA' and 'Leave it as it is' than you get 122 vs 93 MOS voices... so the direction should be like the past few years -> AMIGA Classic and OS4!!

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

Profile     Report this post  
Mikey_C 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:07:27
#22 ]
Elite Member

@xeron

[off topic]
Me too, especially. with gravy!
[/off topic]

Last edited by Mikey_C on 03-Jan-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Flystone 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:08:56
#23 ]

@Mikey_C

That's my idea
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16771&forum=12#247610

Only Amiga1+OS4!!!!!

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:09:16
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

Wegster's signature comes to my mind: "AW polls are like voting for the US president-there's rarely a good answer."

Quote:
So, the only way to gauge membership opinion, is to post it here yourself.

Yep, that's what I have been trying since I registered.

d4m0n 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:09:18
#25 ]

@Mikey_C

If this is the way it's gonna go, how about adding some more categories to the forums? And I dont mean "Free for All->Those who don't like Amiga"

T_Bone 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:12:16
#26 ]
Elite Member

Granted I generally read the threads from the "latest posts" view, but I don't thik I've even seen any MorphOS threads here at all.

[edit] I take it back, I forgot about Bunyip's "combine MOS and OS4" poll

Last edited by T_Bone on 03-Jan-2006 at 10:16 AM.

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:17:45
#27 ]
Elite Member

I think that the latest threads (Amiga 2-4, excluding AmigaSEX), have shown that a civil discussion about things which involve bbrv in any kind is generally possible.

These threads have been running fine without any moderation. Well up to a point where a certain member started a monologue and another member using personal attacks and wild accusations.

edit: The "way" bbrv are presenting their views here is imho sometimes questionable. But it's not something which cannot be openly discussed in a thread. Discussion and different views is what keeps internet communities going.

Last edited by hatschi on 03-Jan-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Laser 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:26:11
#28 ]

Yeah, I came here at first because I was sick of the incessant trolling and arguments on most of the other sites.

AW.net has taken a lot of flak both here and on other sites for being too heavy-handed in its moderation. I think most people know the amount of actual real censorship is very low indeed and is instead a reflection on being a bit stubborn and not allowing the trolls to troll. And it is of course the trolls who make the most noise when they can't spout their rubbish. This helped generate the environment of sensible discussion and friendliness that was such a nice change from the other places. Don't lose that!

There are some notable pro-MOS people here, and even some who made themselves a PITA on other sites. In my opinion though, they have valuable things to say provided it is said in a constructive and polite way. I have nothing against MOS (or AROS or UAE etc), despite my interests being with the primary Amiga line, and would like to hear about significant developments in those products, and comparisons with OS4 etc.

AW.net = easily the best site for those who wish to discuss Amigas!

Chunder 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:32:35
#29 ]

@Mikey_C

I too don't like all of the trolling and pointless, mindless arguments - they're all generally unsubstantiated fluff based on rumour, and neither side has any real evidence. Daft.

BBRV does my head in - people seem to forget the past very quickly, and seem to forgive prior transgressions. Perhaps this is a good thing, but I still feel uneasy when I see some of BBRV's posts, and the subsequent comments by them and others.
I make it a point of staying away from such discussions - I can't add anything of value to them. They can't say anything that interests me. Why bother?

I do, however, think that it would be fair and reasonable to set up a couple of separate forums - in a similar way to the Classic ones - to allow for discussions about other platforms (including but not limited to MOS and AROS). These should be moderated carefully - perhaps by people who are sensitive to the issues...

We're all grown-ups here (at least I think so. Sometimes.) so people should realise that if you don't like/agree with a discussion then keep away from it!...

Chunder 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:34:01
#30 ]

@Laser

Quote:
There are some notable pro-MOS people here, and even some who made themselves a PITA on other sites. In my opinion though, they have valuable things to say provided it is said in a constructive and polite way. I have nothing against MOS (or AROS or UAE etc), despite my interests being with the primary Amiga line, and would like to hear about significant developments in those products, and comparisons with OS4 etc.

Well said! That's kind of what I had in mind, but didn't quite articulate properly...
(My emphasis added)

Last edited by Chunder on 03-Jan-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:36:37
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

Question, how much sense does a forum make if one isn't allowed to tip the hard issues ?

Pretty pointless, and one has just to look back to when AW.net was much "tighter" how understand how pointless it really would be.

Mind you, I would really prefer if BBRV would just STFU, but that goes just as much to half a dozen of red-camp headnuts.

MorphOS is the 1st competion OS4 has to beat inorder to suceed in any way, and trying to protect OS4 by putting a blind eye on it is nothing but a sign of weakness.

@olegil
Now thats actually quite funny, 1st you talk about BBRV only being about buzzwords and people falling for it, and just two paragraphs later you do the same.

I'll just now take turns for every red-company:

The problem with Eyetech is and was that he tried to imply he would be something that he wasn't (read a HW-manufactor insteed of reseller/order-to-build-costumer). He wasn't allways silence and when he did speak the result was something like the ####-speech, no wonder he was critized, for saying things that just didn't add up and gernerally trying to reinvent history. The main reason he is silence now is probraly because he know no way to put a positive spin on the current situation.

ACK may be a nice enough person, but what have we gotten sofar ? A hastly written PR-piece shortly after Elbox announce the Dragon, followed by ~1 year of silence and finally another hastly written PR-piece directly after Hyperion admit having a HW-problem. I would say, having some doubts about it should be natural afterwards.

Troika is actually the worst of the bunch (PR-wise), we don't know who they are (it might actually turn out to the Merlancia-nutter, or another iWin-hoax), all we have seen sofar are absurd DPaint-sketches, and a design-contest ending in nothing. Again, not very trust-building.

And there is something most reds seem to forget, even if the last 2 get their HW to market, they will have to find out, what Eyetech has found out sonetimes ago, selling a (more or less) working piece of HW is just the very 1st step on a long road between nowhere and success.

I also don't really see how Troika/ACK could survive in the real world (read non-Amiga-market) where they have to face competion from similar-speced (and often cheaper) well-introduced products made by companies with the resources (support, money etc) and contacts ( speedy delivery of cheap CPUs for example). And just as a not, Genesi is (just) one of these companies.

And again, I would have very much prefered if someone from the red side had made that post about the open-source-Peg, but the implimancation (sp) would still be the same, and need to be addressed in this way or another.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:45:25
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
And again, I would have very much prefered if someone from the red side had made that post about the open-source-Peg, but the implimancation (sp) would still be the same, and need to be addressed in this way or another.

We are going off topic here, but as has been stated, the Open Source Peg is not RoHS at the moment. It will require the re-design of some circuits or even maybe the whole board. So, in my opinion, I didn't think it was worth mentioning to be honest.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:56:05
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

I originally joined AmigaWorld just over a year ago to gather info on the new µA1-C I was planning to buy. During the past year I was lucky enough to acquire an A1-XE & µA1-C and have found these forums an excellent resource for support and information. As I also have an extensive collection of classic amigas and software I find many of the other forums also very useful particularly Amiga Emulation as I like to take a portable Amiga with me when I travel.

I recently purchased a Pegasos 2 for my collection and registered with MorhpZone for info and support. I don't think that each site should be mutually exclusive but I do think each should concentrate on providing information to its main user base.

I have been saddened by the amount of disinformation and trolling that have been spread over these forums in recent days.

TrevorDick

Jape 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 10:56:48
#34 ]

@Mikey_C

My vote goes to you Mickey...

Let's keep this professional Amiga forum, where people help each other,
and give ideas how we could improve our OS.
Where people can share information "developers"

I don't like the way where is this going now..
Trolling
Speculation
Guessing
Flaming

I think that moderators should keep their hard line, and start to throw
people out, those who only want to keep up a bad atmosphere...

I know that there are places where they can fight with their oppinions,
but i think that this is not the place....

EDIT:
I believe that Hyperion/Troika/Eyetech and all other involved know what
they are planning, WE DON'T!
They have the contracts and licences.
So we should be leaving this upto them...

Last edited by Jape on 03-Jan-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Keyserling 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 11:08:54
#35 ]

I'm 100% for a moderation of morphos threads, so they are very few.

If people want to talk about Amiga AND Morphos, they could do this on Amiga.org or ANN.
AW.net is, from the start, a "Pro Amiga" site, and should stay the same! In France we have an expression for this "put water in your wine", ie: "change the formula, thinking it will please more people". But in the end, those who drink wine err.. OS4 :p will go elsewere and the others will not be happy too.

PS: Regarding poll, i'm agree they can easily be hack. Some PhP poll even let you vote once each day.

What part of "Phnglui Mglw'nafl Cthulhu R'lyeh w'hag nagl Fhtagn" don't you understand?

peterray 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 11:21:27
#36 ]

I like AmigaWorld because I can find all the news and support about my AmigaOne and AmigaOS4.
The main focus should be AmigaOS4 and all the hardware it can run on, IMHO.
Thus I'm partly interested on the Pegasos, but not on MorphOS.

Ciao
Gabriele

herewegoagain 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 11:23:16
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C & Thread

Quote:
But, times have changed, it seems some people want more MOS users in here too. (take over of Amigaworld.net by stealth?)

Will you and others in this thread please show me where we have been over run by "MOS threads"? From where I stand, the only thing I've seen is people discussing the possibility to run OS4 on the open Peg II. What does that have to do with MOS? In fact, you are the only one I see mentioning it constantly.

You are all talking about something that happened 3 years ago, when talking about the "camp thing". I came here just to read about Amiga related stuff without having to listen to trolling FROM EITHER SIDE. Things have changed since 2003. OS4 has matured and become a very nice product. How will this community ever begin to heal as long as there are people insisting upon keeping it torn apart?

About Amiga.org. Wayne has done a nice job of cleaning it up, but has he banned anyone discussing anything other than "Amiga"? Amigaworld.net continues it's stance on trolling, but it doesn't mean that we are going to kick people off because they own another platform. If so, I may as well resign right now, because I'm typing this from my PC, and there is not an OS4 machine in sight in my house.

Reaps 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 11:28:18
#38 ]

@Mikey_C

Do I remember why? Well not really, I'd left the Amiga scene by the time of the "Red and Blue War" so I missed most of that "history". However, I knew that MOS and AROS were out there and I could see the cracks appearing in the community before I left.

Anyway, I found AW on one of my nostalgia trips and occassionally poked my nose around over the years until early last year when, for a number of reasons, the community grabbed my interest again. Since then, I've managed to track down an A1XE, a number of bits of hardware and get my self up and running and been enjoying it. Started to dust off the old C skills and bought a number of bits of software and looking forward to getting back to coding. AW and its members had a lot to do with bringing me back.

As for the threads that attract those that bang on about "my OS/hardware has less warts on its #### than yours...", I tend to stay well clear - rarely can anything constructive be added. We live in the real-world and things aren't ideal. Continually harping on about this or that (perceived) slight, fault, inadequacy, whatever, without offering any *constructive*, *real-world*, input or suggestions doesn't help anything and gets tiring very quickly.

I came to AW for its A1/OS4 focus and that's why I'm still here. There are a number of members who are quite rabid when it comes to their opinions and their "correctness"... you quickly learn who, what and when to filter, its just life that you have to do that. After all, as I said earlier, we live in the real-world and it takes all sorts... even in a community as disfunctional as this one.

Cheers!

broadblues 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 11:42:14
#39 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Mikey_C

I like AW.net because of it's OS4 orientaion, I don't see that has changed.

Anonymous 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 11:45:33
# ]

Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:
@CodeSmith

Yes, agreed entirely, but, when Amigaword.net is used as a vehicle for propaganda, by people with ultirior motives, that's when I get annoyed.

Hi Mikey_C,

Yes, yes, yes, YES!

I agree 104.0%!!!!!!!

I remember on Amiga.Org, ANN.Lu, and MooBunny, (Amiga.com too), constant attacks.....perpetual attacks...

And I didn't just come here as a bandwagoner....check that the site was up for quite a while be4.0 I joined.

I am NOT a proactive troller, quite contrary to what some people imply that I am after.

I've seen borderline trolling for a long time on here, and especially escalating in the last 3 months, it's disgusting.

What's really offensive is, they go elsewhere, and BLAST this place, and come back here and continue to post like they're as pure as the driven snow!!!!!

And they're even smug about it, here or there.

I admit that my temper is getting worse on the Moo, but, it is after ~4 years of their constant rubbish being hurled at us .... what 8 or 9 unfortunate difficulties we've experienced (and as I stated, how many MegaBs of ASCII on the WWW has been dedicated to ~NINE problems)....the people behind Amiga (all of the people involved) are humans, not SUPER human, and clearly finances are a MAJOR road block to what has and hasn't happened.

I mean when even IBM won't take notice of something that may potentially help them in the long run, and completely ignore us, it's hard. That's what it is, just hard to get it off the ground.

I'm not leaving here, and would like to say in closing, it's amazing just how important we seem to be to the others that:

a) have HW
b) have SW
c) have a lower price too

Hehehehe!

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle