Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 52 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 hrs 5 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  5 hrs 58 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 58 mins ago
 BigD:  7 hrs 3 mins ago
 zipper:  9 hrs 20 mins ago
 Frank:  9 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] (2º attempt) do you want x86 or PPC? please vote all the 4026 members
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Poll : do you want AmigaOS on?
X86 only
PPC only
PPC and X86
Another obscure CPU
i don´t care about the cpu

PosterThread
drHirudo 
Re: [Poll] (2º attempt) do you want x86 or PPC? please vote all the 4026 members
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 17:38:54
#81 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:
AROS runs on PPC too
Not on AmigaOne last time I checked, else I would give it a shot.
Quote:
Are you going to use it instead of AmigaOS4?
No.
Quote:
If not, why not?
Because it lacks compatibility, lacks software base, lacks 68K JIT, lacks Amiga Input, lacks Warp3D/WarpOS emulation, lacks Roadshow, lacks proper SDK, lacks native compilers (so you have to crosscompile), lacks users, lacks developers, lacks GrimReaper, lacks ScreenDragging, lacks the new good looking Intuition and the list can go on and on for a long time. Also you can't use it as standalone OS for development.
Quote:
It's free.
I already paid for AmigaOS 4, so the price is irrelevant. Free doesn't make it better. Quite the opposite. And I am one of these kind of guys who prefers to pay more and take better. Just like these people who prefer to watch payTV and don't see any commercials, than the rubish shown on the broadcasted TVs with 5 minutes commercial breaks, every 15 minutes.

Profile     Report this post  
zutton 
Re: [Poll] (2º attempt) do you want x86 or PPC? please vote all the 4026 members
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 18:04:11
#82 ]

I want Amiga Os on my PC as Catweasel doesnt work on AROS

zutton 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 18:07:02
#83 ]

@zutton

62% would be ok with a pc port, hyperion could sell amiga os twice!

T_Bone 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:03:23
#84 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@T_Bone

Quote:
AROS runs on PPC too
Quote:
Are you going to use it instead of AmigaOS4?
No.
Quote:
If not, why not?
Because it lacks compatibility, lacks software base, lacks 68K JIT, lacks Amiga Input, lacks Warp3D/WarpOS emulation, lacks Roadshow, lacks proper SDK, lacks native compilers (so you have to crosscompile), lacks users, lacks developers, lacks GrimReaper, lacks ScreenDragging, lacks the new good looking Intuition and the list can go on and on for a long time. Also you can't use it as standalone OS for development.
Quote:
It's free.
I already paid for AmigaOS 4, so the price is irrelevant. Free doesn't make it better. Quite the opposite. And I am one of these kind of guys who prefers to pay more and take better. Just like these people who prefer to watch payTV and don't see any commercials, than the rubish shown on the broadcasted TVs with 5 minutes commercial breaks, every 15 minutes.

So if AROS isn't good enough on PPC, why is "use AROS" expected to satiate people on x86? (that was the point I was shooting for)

T_Bone 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:06:04
#85 ]
Elite Member

@zutton

Quote:

zutton wrote:
@zutton

62% would be ok with a pc port, hyperion could sell amiga os twice!

Not good enough. Anything Amiga related has to be at least 99% or a "community split" happens if tried.

Last edited by T_Bone on 16-Jan-2006 at 07:08 PM.

drHirudo 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:08:21
#86 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:
So if AROS isn't good enough on PPC, why is "use AROS" expected to satiate people on x86? (that was the point I was shooting for)

Because there isn't going to be AmigaOS 4 for x86 anytime soon, so they'd better be satisfied with AROS. (unless they want to buy AmigaOne® hardware, when it's available, if ever, or second hand).

T_Bone 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:22:58
#87 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@T_Bone

Quote:

Because there isn't going to be AmigaOS 4 for x86 anytime soon

Which brings us back to the reason we suggested x86 in the first place, we don't know how soon we'll have PPC hardware, either.

We might have a Troika board in 6 months, and AROS might be done then too.

T_Bone 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:26:18
#88 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@drHirudo

That's wierd, I swore I saw a LiveCD for the A1, but googling I can only find the Peg Aros LiveCD.

drHirudo 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:30:10
#89 ]

@T_Bone

There is no such thing as LiveCD for the A1, except the one labeled AmigaOS 4 which came with mine. It's kinda LiveCD because it boots you to usable AmigaOS 4 desktop, but you'd better install it on HD for maximum performance.

Jorge 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:47:59
#90 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

I agree to this

Quote:
The Amiga needs to keep it's identity as a hardware system, not just software.

and that

Quote:
I like that the cell chip would make the next gen Amiga system different to everything else out there.

I voted for PPC, however I don't really care, what CPU it would run on - unless it's not a PC platform. I have a PC. If I wanted, I could run whatever I want on it. There are alternatives available (Zeta, Linux, SkyOS, AROS what else), but the thing is, I don't want to. It's simply not the same.

That's maybe the reason why we are still here, isn't it? Why would AmigaOS on a PC (I don't say a customized x86, e.g. I-Mac) make a different ?

I'd like to have something real fancy and cool which is not a PC. I guess, the main market would be a second computer anyway. Who can deny a PC nowadays ? Well, eventually, if all the apps would run on a future Amiga, I might not need a PC any more. But who cares, that's so cheap, I would just keep it as a backup...

Nah, but I'd like to have something else, yes. That's why.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

tomazkid 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 19:51:09
#91 ]
Team Member

@T_Bone

Quote:
That's wierd, I swore I saw a LiveCD for the A1, but googling I can only find the Peg Aros LiveCD.

If you've got the OS4-PR, you can make your own modified OS4 live-cd.
That was perhaps the one you saw?
There is instructions how to make one somewhere, don't remember where, (some .de site? )

Also there is the PegXLin

Jeffshepherd 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 21:38:52
#92 ]

@Thread

If those of you that want OS4 ported to x86 processors are serious then negociate with Amiga inc and stump up the money to pay Hyperion to do it. There is no point in carrying on this debate otherwise.

Coder 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 21:49:27
#93 ]
Team Member

OS4 is not going to be ported to x86 hardware or Apple PPC hardware. So in a way all these discussions are pointless.

Coder

Tripitaka 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 22:38:10
#94 ]

@Fransexy

I want Amiga on ALL CPU's. Intent ??

pixie 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 22:51:44
#95 ]
Elite Member

@Coder

Quote:

OS4 is not going to be ported to x86 hardware or Apple PPC hardware. So in a way all these discussions are pointless.

Let us dream... please!

LoneHaranguer 
Posted on 17-Jan-2006 0:05:48
#96 ]

@Fransexy

Strangely enough, Fransexy, you've identified the reason that I want both PPC and x86 - because I want a choice. Lets face it, if I absoulutely have to have PPC to run Amiga OS4, I have no choice of architecture at all. I must, with no option, buy the most expensive motherboard I can lay my hands on.

Given a choice, I'd run it on the same system I use to run Windoze.

I just wouldn't run Winmdoze on it anymore (except when I can't avoid it - the perils of the IT industry ...)

As things stand, I'll have to fork out a fortune for a motherboard with less than half the clock speed and resources of my existing one, and build an entire computer around it at great expense.

I'll do this, because I'll do whatever I have to to run Amiga OS. But most people won't.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 17-Jan-2006 0:14:02
#97 ]

@thread

I voted'don't care'.

I want to see some PPC hardware soon!

However if this doesn't pan out I think x86 is the way to go.

Coder 
Posted on 17-Jan-2006 10:45:01
#98 ]
Team Member

@pixie

Quote:
Let us dream... please!

Nothing wrong with dreaming but when I see people's post it seems they actually believe it will be running on x86 before the end of the year.

Coder

polka. 
Posted on 17-Jan-2006 10:52:43
#99 ]

@Coder

Quote:
Nothing wrong with dreaming but when I see people's post it seems they actually believe it will be running on x86 before the end of the year.

I agree. We should rather hope that both Amy '06 and Powervixxen are being released this year. The release of OS4 for x86 should be targeted for January 2007 then.

Last edited by polka. on 17-Jan-2006 at 10:53 AM.

T_Bone 
Posted on 17-Jan-2006 11:29:12
#100 ]
Elite Member

@Jeffshepherd

Quote:

Jeffshepherd wrote:
@Thread

If those of you that want OS4 ported to x86 processors are serious then negociate with Amiga inc and stump up the money to pay Hyperion to do it. There is no point in carrying on this debate otherwise.

It's not a debate, this isn't a democracy. it's just people fleshing out possibilities. It'll probably never happen unless Dave Haynie gets tired of remote controll cars, bails out Amiga Inc, buys AmigaOS from hyperion, and released it himself.

I think that's less likely than him shaving his moustache.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle