Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  VooDoo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 VooDoo:  1 min ago
 agami:  25 mins ago
 pixie:  28 mins ago
 Hammer:  42 mins ago
 Vidar:  44 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  TOASTER COMPATABLE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
QuikSanz 
TOASTER COMPATABLE?
Posted on 30-Oct-2003 20:46:34
#1 ]

Hi all,
thinking about a Video Toaster for my A2000. Will one be compatable w/ 060 & OS3.9 ? does anybody know of any issues or conflicts on this set up ?

Thanks, Chris

Profile     Report this post  
LordArt 
Re: TOASTER COMPATABLE?
Posted on 30-Oct-2003 21:00:07
#2 ]

I'm running a 060/PPC board on my A4000 with OS 3.9 without issues. I'll admit I don't use the toaster/flyer that often, but it's there when I need it, and works fine.

Good Luck!

QuikSanz 
Posted on 30-Oct-2003 21:13:24
#3 ]

@ LordArt
Thanks for the fast answer. Now to find one on E-Bay. been looking but most come w/ computer.

Chris

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 15:57:17
# ]

I noticed your post- You are looking for a video toaster card for an A2000 ?

Richard

If so, maybe we can talk- Yesterday I decided to sell my entire Amiga 2000/toaster set-up

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 17:31:13
# ]

To QuikSanz:

Quote:
thinking about a Video Toaster for my A2000. Will one be compatable w/ 060 & OS3.9 ? does anybody know of any issues or conflicts on this set up ?

The NewTek Video Toaster actually runs the best on Kickstart / Workbench 2.04. The software even comes on Workbench 2.04 disks. In fact, the original NewTek Video Toaster software came on Workbench 1.3 disks. Also, the NewTek Video Toaster runs better with Commodore's 68030 board, better compatibility, less overheating. Also, the Amiga 2000 was never meant to use more then 10 megs of memory ( 2 megs of Chip memory, 4 megs of 32-bit Fast memory and 4 megs of 16-bit Fast memory or 8 megs of 16-bit Fast memory). No matter what the manufacturer of the expansion cards tell you, DO NOT use more then 10 megs of memory on an Amiga 2000 system. If you do, you WILL have problems. If you need more then 10 megs of memory for Video Toaster work, then use an Amiga 3000 or 4000 computer. Also try to use memory chips that are made in Japan or Germany, these are the best quality for video work. Because the Video Toaster draws a lot of juice from the power supply, you will need to install a BigFoot power supply into your Amiga 2000 system. If you do not, then the standard 200W Amiga power supply will start breaking down and will eventually destroy your Amiga 2000 system. I have seen and heard of this happening many times. The Big Foot power supply was developed mainly for use with the NewTek Video Toaster. Make sure that the cables connected to the Video Toaster are of the highest quality. On an Amiga 2000 system, if you need to conserve on memory, do not use NewIcons or MagicWB. They use up to much valuable system resources just to make the Workbench look pretty.

Report this post  
Toaks 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 18:20:20
#6 ]
Elite Member

doommaster:what on earth are you on about now? , just about everything in your post is wrong.

and btw i have never heard of an 060 that overheats! NEVER!...

run over to amiga.org or ann.lu.

Wain 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 18:50:04
#7 ]

He can't run to A.org.

The lite version: He was reprimanded for trolling, got upset about it and cancelled his account, then started sending profane and threatening letters to the administrators and has since been banned.

I seem to remember his 'DoomMaster' account being cancelled on here at one point due to spamming too.

He's just a troll who fancies himself an expert, and pushes a lot of opinion as out and out fact.

Wain 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 18:59:22
#8 ]

Before this thread becomes unintentionally highjacked (which I will not continue to participate in)...

I have two friends who are using 3.9 with a Video Toaster setup who haven't had any trouble that I know of. Pretty sure everything works fine. You may run into an occasional oddity or glitch if you're doing really intensive work, because I don't know of anyone doing heavy toaster work to test it to extreme levels, but I do know that basic compatibility is fine, at least, so they tell me.

erwin-k 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 19:16:45
#9 ]

I've been running a Toaster setup in a rev. 4.2 motherboard A2000 for years. Have a GVP-M 060 card with 128MB of memory in standard SIMMS. I use OS 3.1, but have used 3.5 & 3.9 with no real issues. I dropped back to 3.1 for the lower overhead.

My only problem is that my multi-sync monitor died and nobody has Toaster compatible scandoublers available right now.

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 19:45:07
# ]

To Toaks:

Quote:
just about everything in your post is wrong.

Actually, YOU are wrong and I am right !

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 19:59:33
# ]

To Wain:

You do not know what you are talking about. How can I be "banned" from Amiga.Org if I was the one that quit ?! I do not ever want to go back to Amiga.Org and I am thinking about quitting this group too. Most of you people do not know what you are talking about. I on the other hand have been working with home computers since 1977. I also actually work in the electronics and computer industry and I have worked for Commodore, so yes, I do know what I am talking about. I was not trolling on Amiga.Org. The moderators were just jealous of my increasing popularity and by the fact that I had a better looking avatar then they did. They were afraid to show people what they really look like in their avatar. I was making them look really bad and they did not like it. So they started harassing me, that is when I quit. Then the owner started emailing me and me and him got into it. Get your facts straight, Wain !!!!

Report this post  
QuikSanz 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 20:13:21
#12 ]

@ erwin,

that is my setup down to mem size. As I have read many dubious posts from doomy, I'll trust everyone elses input.

Thanks to all
Chris

The_Editor 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 20:56:14
#13 ]
Elite Member

I didn't realise DooMy was over here !!

Does that mean Amigaworld.net is now "Military Grade" ?

(Was this DooMy as a "nipper"?)

Toaks 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 21:07:46
#14 ]
Elite Member

doommaster: ok, i give up, because u are correct , i just heard of a house fire and there was an amiga4000 with 060 in it , so i guess that got overheated ;( , the fire was cauzed by candles in the living room btw....

oh and to all others, like i said before there aint any problems regarding memory size and cpu (anything over 030 is fine), never seen any overheat and beyond that it wouldnt hurt with fans if you plan on having the system up and running for a longer time + on heavy work.

doommaster:btw did u know that bigfoot was infact built for a1200s? it was even formed to such content (not inside the a1200) , fitting the bigfoot psu in an a2000 or a4000 would be pretty dubious and you would have to remove the caseing and on the caseing it states "DONT REMOVE" , so hmmm? ... but yes u are so correct.

cheers

The_Editor 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 21:19:46
#15 ]
Elite Member

Hmmmm...

I used to have a Datel "Goliath" powering my A1200.

In fact .... I modded it because I thought having the switch on the back & the cable coming out the front was poxy.... So I changed it round.

I dont recall bigfoot though.

Toaks 
Posted on 14-Nov-2003 0:05:09
#16 ]
Elite Member

goliath and bigfoot are nearly the same iirc , manufactered with the same stuff inmind.... for outside a computer (was bundled with my external cdrom and hdd for a1200) ...

cheers

A1200 
Posted on 14-Nov-2003 0:41:00
#17 ]
Elite Member

All those big PSUs for desktop Amigas are PC power supplys with an Amiga power connecter fitted and a nice external case.

I personally have an Analogic one... I wonder if they are still going (probably not).

Erm, I can see us over the next few months having problems with the dude with the spiky hair avitar (doomy or whatever). Can I sugest people not take the bait and ignore all his "imaginaive" comments.

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Nov-2003 6:10:37
# ]

To Toaks:

Quote:
doommaster:btw did u know that bigfoot was infact built for a1200s? it was even formed to such content (not inside the a1200) , fitting the bigfoot psu in an a2000 or a4000 would be pretty dubious and you would have to remove the caseing and on the caseing it states "DONT REMOVE" , so hmmm? ... but yes u are so correct.

When I mentioned the Bigfoot Power supply, I was talking about the 300 Watt version that came out about 13 YEARS ago for the Amiga 2000 Series. It came out about the same time that the original NewTek Video Toaster hit the market. In fact, NewTek themselves had recommended that you use the Bigfoot power supply with their Video Toaster, because the toaster was taxing the 200 Watt power supply normally found in the Amiga 2000 Series computers. Since then other companies have produced 'Bigfoot' power supplies for the Amiga 2000's little brother- the Amiga 500 and for the Amiga 4000's little sister- the Amiga 1200. I hope that I have cleared things up for you concerning the 'Bigfoot' power supplies.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Nov-2003 11:15:15
# ]

@DoomMaster,

You look like Uri Geller on steroids!

Report this post  
Bodie 
Posted on 14-Nov-2003 11:18:28
#20 ]

@CU_Amiga

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle