Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MichaelMerkel:  24 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 Lou:  41 mins ago
 Rob:  42 mins ago
 matthey:  50 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Das:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  DVB on AmigaOne
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
1Mouse 
DVB on AmigaOne
Posted on 30-Jun-2006 15:08:55
#1 ]

Hi,

Just curious, is it possible?

I have a Freecom DVB-T USB stick with an aerial.

Is there any software that would allow me to use it on my A1, if nor are there any other alternatives?

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Profile     Report this post  
Ch0bin 
Re: DVB on AmigaOne
Posted on 30-Jun-2006 17:02:33
#2 ]

I'm curious too... anyone knows something about it?

1Mouse 
Posted on 30-Jun-2006 17:11:40
#3 ]

@Ch0bin

I can watch DVDs.

I can listen to music.

So why not watch TV

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

gnarly 
Posted on 30-Jun-2006 17:27:10
#4 ]
Cult Member

@1Mouse

I believe someone (Spirantho?) was working on some TV-card drivers and software for AmigaOS4, but I don't think they were working with USB cards.

Hans 
Posted on 30-Jun-2006 17:52:07
#5 ]
Elite Member

@gnarly

Spirantho is working on drivers for BT8x8 based cards. There's a problem with the Amigaone PCI bus handling the volume of data and interrupts when trying to view low-quality TV signals (such as white noise) from these cards (VIA686B to blame again I think ). However, these cards work fine on the Amigaone in Linux if Overlay is enabled so once we get overlay, Spirantho might be able to make more progress. Personally, I think it might be better to go for a card with a built-in hardware MPEG-2/4 encoder. DVPlayer/MPlayer can play full-screen DVDs ok (at least on a G4) so an MPEG-2 stream from a TV card should bypass the bandwidth/lockup issues.

Regarding the DVB-USB cards. Linux has drivers for them so writing a driver for the Amiga is possible. All we need is a developer with one of these things and the time and motivation to write one. One problem is that our video capture API is showing its age. The VHI API was good back when IOSpirit created it, but it really does need to be updated.

@Spirantho

Any progress with AmiTV? Seeing as it works for good signals, an app that lets you set the channel/input beforehand would be useful to some people. That way you could preselect the right channel and watch it.

Hans

1Mouse 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 12:22:17
#6 ]

@Hans

Do drivers that are used in Linux have to be re-written or can they be recompiled for OS4. (As you can see I know nowt about writing progs for A1).

Are drivers for this problem being worked on at the mo?

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Hans 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 13:27:49
#7 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

The Linux driver architecture is very different from the Amiga one. Hence the driver would have to be totally rewritten. Depending on the piece of hardware, often it's easier to write a driver from scratch using the hardware documentation then decoding the Linux drivers (that are often hard to read due to coding style).

I don't know of anyone working on drivers. I can't do this perdonally as I don't have DVB at all. Hence there would be no way for me to test it. My feeling is that most Amiga software developers are already too busy with other projects for now. Hopefully someone is working on a driver or will do so soon.

I should add that we have one more problem with USB: we only have USB 1.1. If the DVB device has a built-in MPEG encoder then this shouldn't be a problem. However, for devices that don't, USB 1.1 just doesn't have a high enough bandwidth for video. I think that a USB 2.0 driver should have a higher priority. That would be useful for way more hardware.

Hans

1Mouse 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 14:50:20
#8 ]

@Hans

I originally bought the hardware for my PC (other hardware too) and would like to migrate (if possible) all my hardware to my A1.

I have managed to use my old speakers, mouse, monitor.

I have just plugged in my USB flash key and nothing, icon on my workbench, can I get it to work and if so how?

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 15:05:02
#9 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse
I do not have an AmigaONE, but i do have a dvb-s card which i would want to use in the future if new hardware is released. I kinda doubt that it works very well on the amigaone even with drivers due to what i have heard about it having pci bandwith issues. A software decoding card might work, but i am pretty damn sure you will have problems with a dvb card that use hardware decoding.

EDIT: I see you mentioned usb... hmm isnt the amigaone using a yesterdays usb1 or something? if so, then it hardly seems fast enough for that purpose..

Last edited by Tomas on 01-Jul-2006 at 03:06 PM.

1Mouse 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 15:54:58
#10 ]

@Tomas

Any idea about USB key flash drives
:)

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Hans 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 15:55:52
#11 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

That's strange, a USB Flash key should just work. Run USBInspector to see if it was detected by the USB system. You may need to format the USB key first to get it to work. I have a feeling that a few USB key brands don't work properly (at least with the OS4 update 4 drivers). Personally I have never had any trouble though. You could also try to plug it in and reset your A1. That shouldn't make a difference but it's worth trying.

Hans

EDIT: Formatting the USB key can be done on a PC.

Last edited by Hans on 01-Jul-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 16:02:56
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@1Mouse
I do not have an AmigaONE, but i do have a dvb-s card which i would want to use in the future if new hardware is released. I kinda doubt that it works very well on the amigaone even with drivers due to what i have heard about it having pci bandwith issues. A software decoding card might work, but i am pretty damn sure you will have problems with a dvb card that use hardware decoding.

EDIT: I see you mentioned usb... hmm isnt the amigaone using a yesterdays usb1 or something? if so, then it hardly seems fast enough for that purpose..

USB 1.1 might just be able to handle MPEG-2/4 compressed video in it's high-speed 12 Mb/s mode. However, we really do need USB 2.0. If someone writes a USB 2.0 driver I will definitely go out and buy a USB 2.0 card.

Regarding the PCI bandwidth issues, the Amigaone's PCI bus is fast enough. The problem with the BT8x8 cards is that with bad TV signals, they trigger interrupts like crazy. Too many interrupts at once causes the A1 to lockup. AFAIK, no solution to this has been found. For the emu10k1 sound-card driver this was solved by reducing the number of interrupts triggered. I'm still hoping that someone will figure out how to get the A1 to graciously handle interrupt overload without locking up. If the system could prevent a lockup then the BT8x8 driver could clear the interrupts, and keep on working.

Hans

Zardoz 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 16:06:28
#13 ]
Team Member

@Hans

Quote:
Regarding the PCI bandwidth issues, the Amigaone's PCI bus is fast enough. The problem with the BT8x8 cards is that with bad TV signals, they trigger interrupts like crazy. Too many interrupts at once causes the A1 to lockup. AFAIK, no solution to this has been found.

Hm? Does that happen with PCI GFX cards as well, or just AGP? BT8*8 cards worked on my Peg1 with a PCI Voodoo3 but don't work with an AGP card.

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 16:08:57
#14 ]

@1Mouse

Quote:

1Mouse wrote:
Hi,

Just curious, is it possible?

I have a Freecom DVB-T USB stick with an aerial.

Is there any software that would allow me to use it on my A1, if nor are there any other alternatives?

Do you seek for any other alternatives?

Buy a Pegasos and wait for Ralph Schmidt to finish his long awaited DVB-T, DVB-S, DVB-C program to drive digital TV cards and USB dongles on Peggy.

Or ask coder named "geit" (Guido Mersmann) or perhaps paypal him about this second program for Pegasos named VailantVision, which is a rewriting of Amithlon TV and it is more promising than first one (that program from Ralph Schmidt) I just pointed to your attention some lines above:

http://www.geit.de/eng_valiantvision.html

Sure I think that vailantvision could be ported easily to AmigaOS 4.0.

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jul-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 16:15:10
#15 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
Regarding the PCI bandwidth issues, the Amigaone's PCI bus is fast enough. The problem with the BT8x8 cards is that with bad TV signals, they trigger interrupts like crazy. Too many interrupts at once causes the A1 to lockup. AFAIK, no solution to this has been found.

Hm? Does that happen with PCI GFX cards as well, or just AGP? BT8*8 cards worked on my Peg1 with a PCI Voodoo3 but don't work with an AGP card.

Interesting question. I really don't know as I've never put a PCI graphics-card in my A1. Really, I think that it might be more stable if we could plug the BT8x8 card into the 66 MHz PCI slot. Unfortunately my understanding is that you can't use this slot and AGP at the same time. Maybe someone should try this and find out.

EDIT: I mean try using the BT8x8 with a vodoo3 card, not putting it in the 66 MHz slot.

To be honest. Once we get overlay support in the Radeon drivers, it should work ok. With overlay enabled I can scan through all TV channels in Linux. It's a shame that the overlay display when using xawtv is corrupt though.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 01-Jul-2006 at 04:16 PM.

miksuh 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 16:22:48
#16 ]
Cult Member

@1Mouse

Ofcourse you can watch tv on Amiga, but there is no drivers for the digital tv-cards. Eg. Mediator drivers support only analog cards. Analog tv-broadcasts will end 31.7.2007 here in Finland...

Last edited by miksuh on 01-Jul-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Last edited by miksuh on 01-Jul-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 16:29:37
#17 ]

@miksuh

Quote:

miksuh wrote:
@1Mouse

Ofcourse you can watch tv on Amiga, but there is no drivers for the digital tv-cards. Eg. Mediator drivers support only analogical cards. Analogical tv-broadcasts will end 31.7.2007 here in Finland...

Just put a digital TV converter between the antenna and the analogic card and you will be fine.

Here in Italy converters for DVB-T to allow old TV sets and videorecorders to receive digital TV are very cheap.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 1-Jul-2006 20:53:23
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
I should add that we have one more problem with USB: we only have USB 1.1. If the DVB device has a built-in MPEG encoder then this shouldn't be a problem.

Surely DVB is already MPEG compressed, so putting an MPEG encoder into the USB receiver seems an unnecessary thing to do.

All you need is a driver that can tune in to individual streams on the multiplexes. It could probably be written as some crazy DOS handler, with an extra packet which tells the device to scan for streams. The handler could link all the PIDs that are associated with each other, name them according to the channel name in the SI, and then you could use something like MPlayer to play them as if they were ordinary MPEG files on a disk. You could even put each multiplex into a directory which then shows the various MPEG video, audio and data files available on the multiplex. You may not even need auto-tune, just the action of creating a directory with the channel number could cause the device to scan, or maybe all the channel directories could be there by default, and it scans when you open them.

A program to decode the data streams might be a little more complicated.

The other option is to do what (I think) Hauppauge do on Windows, and configure it to look like a network card. You would need to write it as a SANA-II driver, and probably assign it a unique IP address and implement a mini HTTP server. Sounds like a lot more work to me. Not that the other solution would be easy, mind.

Chris

Hans 
Posted on 2-Jul-2006 14:29:11
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

Quote:

Chris_Y wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
I should add that we have one more problem with USB: we only have USB 1.1. If the DVB device has a built-in MPEG encoder then this shouldn't be a problem.

Surely DVB is already MPEG compressed, so putting an MPEG encoder into the USB receiver seems an unnecessary thing to do.

Yes you're right. I keep on thinking about video capture cards.

Hans

1Mouse 
Posted on 2-Jul-2006 21:12:48
#20 ]

@Hans

You were right about the USB Flash key, I tried a different one and it worked straight away.

At least transfering files is made a little easier (no more writing CDs on PEEZEE).

Thanks a lot with that.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle