Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga,  Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  44 secs ago
 Karlos:  2 mins ago
 OlafS25:  21 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 ncafferkey:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  When os4 for csppc?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
adiaux 
Re: When os4 for csppc?
Posted on 25-Dec-2006 19:26:08
#41 ]

@Kotler

Quote:
It`s been said from day 1 that AmigaOS4.0 is a commercial OS,
that means you don`t give it away for free.
Just because MorphOS chose a different route - because
a number of reasons - doesn`t mean that Hyperion/Amiga should
do the same.

MorphOS is *just as much* a commercial OS as OS4 is. And if you do a SWOT analysis of them both, you would find them to be pretty much identical.

(I won't even comment on your completely unnecessary inflamatory personal attacks)

@Valiant

Quote:
I never said anything about it covering the entire development costs, but every bit extra helps.

You heard the Friedens yourself - there will be a lot of work to make a PowerUP version happen (especially a commercial level release). I think everyone can understand that, and why. And when you put a price tag on that work needed to achieve this and starts thinking in simple business terms, like reasonable turn-around, etc, then your logic "every bit extra helps" starts to fail. The cost of actually doing it would exceed any possible returns *by far*. The only thinkable reason to justify any kind of release of OS4 for PowerUP (ten year old(!) more or less dying hardware mostly sitting in closets and in attics) is to maximize penetration in the current community of users and developers with *the hopes* that this can lead to something good for the platform in longer terms, and charging a hundred bucks (or less?) would only be counter productive in this regard. Hence it would be a failure in both economic and strategic terms. There is no market for OS4 on PowerUP, and since they won't be able to make money from it, then it would make better sense to release *what they got right now*, *for free* (and maybe follow up with some update later perhaps).

IMHO they should spend their time on "OS4.1" or whatever instead.

@d0c

@yoodoo2

Quote:
I disagree that giving it away free would create fewer support problems

Indeed, and I never claimed so either. What I said was that people can't demand as much from free software as for software they pay 80 Euros for. There is a clear difference in this regard. And since it is my firm belief that it won't be possible to justify a PowerUP release from a financial point of view (especially not a commercial one, since it would cost a lot more to achieve than a free one), then I think it would make much better sense to release it for free to anyone interested. Who knows, maybe a few hundred users and developers (who they would never reach otherwise) would join? Only a fraction of users/developers would join at an 80 Euro price tag compared to a Zero Euro price tag, and this at a financial loss. The point of making a PowerUP version can't possibly be about making money anyway ...

@che

Quote:
Why for free?

Because it makes no sense in spending time, money, effort and other resources in order to achieve a comerrcial level product for a market that does not exist. It would only be counter productive.

Quote:
I wouldn't complain about paying $50 (or more) once again for OS4.0 CSPPC.

I bet.

Quote:
MOS_PowerUP isn't free.

Yes it is. You can download it here (see for yourself):

http://powerup.morphos-team.net/

"Support" is given here:

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewforum.php?forum=42

Price: $0.00, "Please note that the MorphOS Development Team does not provide any form of end user support for the free PowerUP version."

The result is that Amigans that never would have tried MorphOS at 80Euro or whatever (even less at the cost of a Pegasos) has come on board.

AFAIK, from reading the draft of the contract between Amiga Inc and Hyperion, there will be no royalty fee charged from Amiga Inc to Hyperion for the version 4.0 version of the OS, which opens up for something like this, since no per-unit cost will be charged until later versions. A perfect opportunity to spread the OS and build a community foundation that the evolution can start to build from. Seed now, harvest later (on some *real* market).

@thread

But hey people, it was only a thought! I can't for my life understand the strange and hostile reaction this rendered at some few people. Like I offended your mother or something. Strange ...

Profile     Report this post  
che 
Posted on 25-Dec-2006 23:00:01
#42 ]

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
Quote:
> MOS_PowerUP isn't free.

Yes it is. You can download it here (see for yourself):

I wrote that a little bit blury. I knew that it is free downloadable (I have it installed on my A4kT / CSPPC / PIV / Ariadne / MFC3), but you are kindly asked to donate too show support etc. So I don't call that "free". But you are right.
One need not to pay anything to anybody. Just register to avoid the slowdown after 2h.

On the other hand I would pay $50 or more to speed up the release of OS4.0, than to wait forever for a "free" release

I have still the e-mailed voucher $50 for an A-One (or OS4.0) from Amiga Inc. But the A-One was never available in big numbers here in Sitzerland, and I'm still on the waiting list for an A-One (forever it seems).

I ordered the A-One the same day as I ordered the Pegasos II. The Peg2 arrived two weeks later, the A-One never.

->So I wished I could use the OS4.0 on my system. (Or on the Peg2, but thats another story)

I saw OS4.0 in action at the local Os4.0 on tour promotion event (only german) here in Basel/Switzerland. Indeed I helped to let that event happen. Till that time I'm waiting and waiting.

Markus

Last edited by che on 25-Dec-2006 at 11:02 PM.

tonyw 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 10:24:09
#43 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

As Thomas said (and you seemed not to notice) there is no such thing as a "Classic" version and an "A1" version. They are the same files/programs used in each, apart from a few device drivers unique to each platform.

So you can't give the Classic "version" away for free, since most of it is in common with the A1 version also.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

tomazkid 
Posted on 9-Jan-2007 15:36:04
#44 ]
Team Member

So, any progress?

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 9-Jan-2007 15:58:29
#45 ]

I hope they are going and like crazy on the classic version.
I want to buy it yesteryear.

Dandy 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 11:22:56
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4
No, it doesn't mean we will drop the classics. It will mean that we will have to specify exactly what hardware works and what doesn't.

Can you please include an detailed description of how and to what extent (if at all) an Mediator PCI board in an A1200 or A4000 can be used together with OS4 for classics?

I need to know which PCI cards (Voodoo4, NIC, Terratec 512i digital, Spider2 USB 2.0 highspeed) will work with OS4 and which not.

Do I have to re-install my CybervisionPPC or does OS4 work with the Voodoo(4) in the Mediator?

It is not necessarily required that the Spider2 USB 2.0 highspeed works with OS4 (although this would be really nice), as I could set up a config that allows me to boot into OS 3.9 as well as into OS4, MorphOS, Linux and the like and so I could use my USB with OS 3.9...

For me it is important that my NIC (for broadband Internet access) and my soundcard work with OS4.

If you furthermore could provide a rough time frame of when we can expect the release of the clssic version of OS4 (e.g. "When new HW for OS4 is on sale") wouldn't be too bad either...

Last edited by Dandy on 10-Jan-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 12:50:34
#47 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
@yoodoo2

Quote:

I disagree that giving it away free would create fewer support problems

Only a fraction of users/developers would join at an 80 Euro price tag compared to a Zero Euro price tag, and this at a financial loss. The point of making a PowerUP version can't possibly be about making money anyway ...

Hmmmm - do you really think that I paid 2.600 DM (~ 1.300¤) for my CyberstormPPC back in Nov 1997, when they were sold the first time (on the Amiga fair here in Cologne), and now am too closefisted to pay 80-150¤ for an Operating System, that lets me take full advantage of this board for the first time after nine years and two months???

Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
@che

Quote:

Why for free?

Because it makes no sense in spending time, money, effort and other resources in order to achieve a comerrcial level product for a market that does not exist. It would only be counter productive.

Hey mate - let me spend my money!

If the Friedens deliver good work, then I don't mind to award them by paying 80 - 150¤ for it!
Main thing is that the long period of waiting was worth it!

Dandy

SoundSquare 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 13:42:50
#48 ]

Quote:
But hey people, it was only a thought! I can't for my life understand the strange and hostile reaction this rendered at some few people. Like I offended your mother or something. Strange ...

hehe, you know, that what happens when you use an adult language to pre-puberian kids. They get offended easily.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle