Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 69 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigagr

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigagr:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  22 mins ago
 matthey:  22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 amigakit:  47 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 tobias:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 Bugala:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 Gemmstone4291:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA: First Impressions
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaHeretic 
Re: EFIKA: First Impressions
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 17:08:28
#101 ]

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
First of all, everyone on this site (and all other community sites) knows perfectly well the situation; they *know* that OS4 *is not* available for the Efika

But I think that was BobW point. We as you said, "*know* that OS4 *is not* available for the Efika", but BBRV just posted in this thread, word of word here
"We have a license. It really is that simple. We will be back when it is ready."

The point being he is trying to confuse people, maybe into buying EFIKA by providing hope AmigaOS will run on it someday.

Why else be so vague here?

Quote:
Secondly, I think you are extremely naive if you think that a few hundred sales to this community is their ultimate goal.

Then what is the goal? Why post and waste so much time here then? To find developers?

If it's just to find developers for EFIKA, why play games with "We have a license" ? Or is it then to trick the developers into thinking they can program on an "Amiga" if they get an EFIKA?

What is the goal?

Profile     Report this post  
Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 17:11:30
#102 ]
Team Member

@takemehomegrandma

I think you're being a bit harsh on BobW there. You have to remember that not everyone who posts here has a perfect grasp of English and uses it as a first language. I can certainly imagine someone reading the orginal post and getting rather too excited, adding 2 plus 2 and coming up with 6 and placing an order with Amikit for a Efika and expecting an OS4 CD to follow before Xmas.

I mean, I have a $50 coupon from Amiga Inc and a club membership and T-shirt to prove it!

adiaux 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 17:24:49
#103 ]

@Naz

Quote:
Another thing I was thinking about : Why having 2 Amiga like os on the efika?

You are forgetting AROS, that would make three of them, and that would cover the whole Amiga community! Which of course is the whole point!

Quote:
They have (perhaps) MOS on the efika and could promote it as Amiga compatible next gen os. This should have good chances as there's no os4 hardware at the moment.

Having 2 of them, doing more or less the same ... don't understand this logic.

I think your problem is that you consider OS4 (or MorphOS or AROS for that matter) to be an *actual product*, for general consumers, as it is right now. But it is not. It is simply not possible to make money out of the Amiga today. You are colored by nostalgia from the past, but that was a different time. There is no "Amiga market", hence there is no competition. There is "only" a community, the technical aspects of the OS's are of less importance as it is right now.

I think there could be a future for Amiga (OS4, MorphOS, AROS). But it requires some killer application (and by "application" I don't exclusively mean SW, but perhaps rather a total solution of HW, SW and a service of some kind) that takes full advantage of the Amiga's biggest benefit - its leanness, and the possibility to run a complete envireonment on very low power hardware (perhaps even less powered than the Efika) without sluggishness. Which OS that serves as the engine in that context is not important. And it can never happen without developers anyway, and the Amiga community has been acknowledged by them as a pretty unique thing, worth investing in. That's why they want to support all flavours of the Amiga community. In my view this is the ultimate win-win situation.

Quote:
Perhaps somebody can explain me what's the sense behind this.

Yes, it's all about the people (meaning *us*), not about an OS!

adiaux 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 17:32:19
#104 ]

@Zylesea

Quote:
It's quite easy from the hw selling point of view. The more OSes work on the hw, the more customers.

IMHO, the more OS's that runs on the HW, the more *possibilities* for creating applications!

But *the real* customers will be high volume OEM's and system integrators. The sales (meaning *charging money* for the hardware) towards various communities after these 200 or so free systems have been shipped, is only a way of covering the cost of handing out the boards, providing support, and spreading the word.

I seriously doubt that anyone is planning to get rich on sporadic and scattered Efika sales to various "nerd communities" ...

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 17:34:36
#105 ]

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
Yes, it's all about the people (meaning *us*), not about an OS!

What does that mean exactly!?!

I just have to shake my head. That's why I love this community. None of it makes sense, it's so quirky!

BobW 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 17:34:59
#106 ]

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:

@BobW

Quote:
I see this as nothing more than an advertisement for the EFIKA.

Only in your head dude, only in your head.

Oh come on. Do you really believe that he is not trying to promote the EFIKA here?

Quote:
First of all, everyone on this site (and all other community sites) knows perfectly well the situation; they *know* that OS4 *is not* available for the Efika, and they *know* that seeing is believing, and before anyone can see OS4 running on the hardware (Efika, SAM, Troika, ACK, whatever) they won't buy that hardware, if OS4 is all they want. Everyone is grown up here, right? Please do not insult peoples intelligence by making such ridiculous comments.

Look, new people pop in a read these boards all the time and not everyone fully understands or is aware of everything that has happened in the past.

Quote:
The Amiga community (which of course includes MorphOS and AROS) has been welcomed from day one, but as soon as anyone mentions Genesi's developer sponsorship programs (that is by no way limited to the Efika hardware), then there is always some loonie that starts screaming "advertising, ADVERTISING!! Hello Moderators! Some evil dude wants to sell something evil here! Come on and interfere, or we will go off creating a new site!".

Yeah I'm a loonie. You pretty much have to be a loonie to still be here. Where did I ask the moderators to come in and interfere? I didn't report anyone and I certainly didn't ask for this thread to be deleted or locked.

And about creating a new site. I'm not a member of that site and I don't plan on joining. I gag a little bit every time I read a thread there.

Benji 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 17:48:29
#107 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv

Quote:
"We have a license. It really is that simple. We will be back when it is ready."

Dont you mean ?

Anyway - isnt it Thendic? For DE? On the Peg?

"integration of Amiga's DE Operating System into Thendic's Pegasos and/or other products in question"... "along with the 'Enhancements,' 'Updates,' 'Upgrades,' and 'Documentation' that are related to that system, for integration into Pegasos"...

Feel free to quote that... And note "other products in question" isnt an open ended term of a contract. Its all quite specific, but you keep throwing it around

For someone who suggests a contract has been changed on them you dont half change what your contract is actually RELEVANT to... Something several years ago.

First impression of the Efika? Its under-powered and sold by a crazy person?

elatour 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:07:26
#108 ]
Cult Member

I hadn't looked at this board with any seriousness until just the other night, but I have now and I have to say that I think that it has some serious potential for use in the embedded market. I love the design of this thing! Anyone know what Linux distros are available or have been announced for it?

I don't care what people say about Genesi or what they have or haven't done in the past. The one thing I have to give them credit for is the fact that they've delivered on this previously announced hardware and have way more momentum, industry partnerships, and contact with their user base than anything that's come out of any other even remotely Amiga related company in years.

It really IS too bad that Amiga Inc. can't burry the hatchet and work with these guys. As far as I can tell, this is the only company that even remotely meets the Amiga Inc. criteria for being able to deliver on hardware designs in a timely fashion and sales in any substantial numbers. Saddly, the current OS4 hardware projects and companies/individuals behind them appear to be nothing more than basement projects/companies at the moment.

BTW: I already own an A1 system and don't own or run any other flavours of AOS other than AOS 3.x on a classic 68k system and AOS4 on a MicroA1, so this is not some shameless plug for MorphOS or Genesi. I'm just calling it like I see it.

ironfist 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:15:16
#109 ]
Cult Member

Darrin
"I don't want to see people rushing out to buy an Efika only to run Linux for the next 5 years."

Hehe! You mean like everyone did with the AmigaONE? :P

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:15:35
#110 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

You have hardware now get a license, and then call Hyperion when its done, when Hyperion has ported it and show it in public, then send me a message, until then EFIKA is just one board of many tiny powerpc boards THAT DO NOT WORK WHIT AMIGA OS 4.

http://www.embeddedplanet.com/

http://www.embeddedplanet.com/products/EP440xC.asp
http://www.embeddedplanet.com/products/ep440.asp

And don’t talk to the community about the Amiga DE license, it’s worth nothing.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Dec-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Dec-2006 at 06:20 PM.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:16:42
#111 ]

@Darrin

Quote:
I have to say that I don't see Bill claiming to "own" OS4 anywhere in there. Rather, I see him claim that he has a legally binding license which a judge has agreed includes the rights to OS4.

He says the 'courts ruled in his favor', and statements like,

"We can even sell to Eyetech a non-Articia Pegasos board at a much lower price (and they will not have to pay Amiga Inc. anything)."

"Amiga Inc. cannot stop us because of the ruling."

"We will sublicense under the Agreement and the ruling."

"As the license is validated under US law Hyperion will not have any recourse unless Amiga Inc. gets our written consent."

Things like "We will", "cannot stop us", "We can", or no recourse unless they "get our written consent." show 'ownership' (control) to me.

He makes no illusion that this might happen or it will happen, but it HAS happened i.e.
" The result is significant." and "we will now put in motion the following series of events"

Maybe we should ask Hyperion though? As he says, "Hyperion will have less to pay to us than they would have had to pay to Amiga Inc."

@Hyperion
How much smaller have the checks been to BBRV than they were to Amiga Inc.?

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:29:22
#112 ]
Team Member

@Benji

Quote:
Anyway - isnt it Thendic? For DE? On the Peg?

"integration of Amiga's DE Operating System into Thendic's Pegasos and/or other products in question"... "along with the 'Enhancements,' 'Updates,' 'Upgrades,' and 'Documentation' that are related to that system, for integration into Pegasos"...

I'm pretty sure that "other products in question" can include future hardware products/revisions regardless of their names thus the EFIKA can be added as the Pegasos was. I also believe that the Pegasos was not in the "original" agreement either.

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:33:06
#113 ]
Team Member

@ironfist

Quote:

Hehe! You mean like everyone did with the AmigaONE? :P

Owch!

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:36:30
#114 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
Maybe we should ask Hyperion though? As he says, "Hyperion will have less to pay to us than they would have had to pay to Amiga Inc."

@Hyperion
How much smaller have the checks been to BBRV than they were to Amiga Inc.?

It would be nice to hear what Hyperion have to say about this development, but I think they're far too busy and far too professional to get involved in a public online pissing match. I hope an agreement is reached behind closed doors and a joint statement by everyone involved is issued soon.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:40:55
#115 ]

@Darrin

Quote:

Darrin wrote:
I hope an agreement is reached behind closed doors and a joint statement by everyone involved is issued soon.

Honesty and cooperation? That's the day I leave this community! I mean what fun would that be?

Gleng 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:41:07
#116 ]

@elatour
Quote:
Anyone know what Linux distros are available or have been announced for it?

There's some info, files, and a setup guide for Debian HERE.

Last edited by Gleng on 12-Dec-2006 at 06:41 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:46:52
#117 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
That's the day I leave this community!

I guess you can safely say that, it not where likely that they can ever cooperate

I do not mind PPC hardware if coming BBRV, but BBRV please get license issue sorted before you try selling it to the real AmigaOS community.

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 18:59:41
#118 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
Honesty and cooperation? That's the day I leave this community! I mean what fun would that be?

You mean you miss the good old days of ANN.lu???

elatour 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 20:13:33
#119 ]
Cult Member

@Gleng

Quote:
There's some info, files, and a setup guide for Debian HERE.

Excellent, thanks!

adiaux 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 20:18:30
#120 ]

@BobW

Quote:
And about creating a new site. I'm not a member of that site and I don't plan on joining. I gag a little bit every time I read a thread there.

I promise I will not hold this against you in any way!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle