Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AmigaPapst

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AmigaPapst:  1 min ago
 Seiya:  10 mins ago
 amigakit:  16 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 bendito:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 klx300r:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  NOTICE TO AMIGAWORLD MEMBERS
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mikey_C 
NOTICE TO AMIGAWORLD MEMBERS
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:06:27
#1 ]
Elite Member

Fellow members.

As you are aware, the Amigaworld staff have come in for very strong criticism on the way we moderate or police this site.

We would like to think that we have your support in the way we run this site. However, we would welcome any comments you may have with regards to the way Amigaworld is moderated.

We are especially keen to hear from members who have been with Amigaworld for at least 2 months or more.

Please keep, your comments, constructive and do not post in a manner that may be deemed inflamatory or insultive.

Thank you for your input.

Amigaworld Staff

Profile     Report this post  
IanS 
Re: Amigaworld site moderation policy consultation
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:11:56
#2 ]

Personally I haven't actually seen the moderation of "pro-genesi" or "anti-amiga" comments within the site so I don't even know what all the fuss is about.

Whilst I feel some moderators do go over the top sometimes, you're only human I suppose I think the best thing to do would be for amigaworld.net moderators never to post comments on ANN/Moobunny - that way the trolling on those sites may well decrease...

Cheers,
Ian

Mikey_C 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:15:23
#3 ]
Elite Member

Thanks, IanS, However, We are more keen to hear about whether we are getting it right on this site and if not, what steps can we make to correct it?

As to your other point, about posting on other sites that is a discussion for another day.

Thanks

IanS 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:16:51
#4 ]

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I feel you're getting it right, because I haven't seen any problems personally!

However, you'll never be able to please everybody - and as for the other point, maybe you're right!

Ian

Skyraker 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:38:18
#5 ]
Cult Member

Ok, my two penneys worth:

Moderation should only be deployed when a) a personal attack, that is offensive towards another user, that does nothing to forward an argument.

b) Blatent trolling, andf by this I mean 'piss take' trolling, not the usual stuff designed to give forth an argument, that IMO is okay, we're all big boys, I just wouldnt like things to descend into the situation over at Ann (their anonymous posting is to blame IMO)

3) Anything racist or extreme bigoted, not what the moderators feel is so: but if a complaint is made, or numerous complaints...

4) if someone on here turns up with a POV that is against the majority 'grain' then let it be discussed, dont moderate, were not in china... ideas are ideas...wether you disagree or not..

5) Let Skyraker be King of the World

You should learn from the thread over on ANN, it was not ALL flamebait, some people are kinda pissed I think.. and there must be a reason why.. it's not just because they have a different ideal...

... listen

I'm off for a sandwich...

[quote]Amiga were also offered Amithlon before anyone else. I was the first to run it. It ROCKED HARD. I begged them to use it, we had a WINNER and could sell a bajillion of them. We owned all the rights to it! But sadly, Bill and Fleecy didn't want peopl

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:39:31
# ]

I felt that bringing into the open, the way you dealt with a certain account holder (just a week or so ago) was proper.

NO ONE can say there was "behind-the-scenes" stuff happening.

Now, if governments can learn from this, that's a different story....

Report this post  
Steff 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:44:38
#7 ]

Actually the question is rather moot if you ask me.

The whole problem with moderation is keeping a civil level of discussion on a board at the same time you want to allow a freedom that can attract and keep visitors.

So by looking at the calm (though sometimes overly flipant) level of discussion on AW you have achieved at least one goal.

Otoh one might say that this is only achieved through accessive moderation but that would lead to an obvious migration from AW.

Maybe thats what is happening but you can't tell from the membership list!

All in all I would say that it's working just fine but who am I to say. Better to look at the visitors counter.

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

Darrin 
Re: NOTICE TO AMIGAWORLD MEMBERS
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 0:47:49
#8 ]
Team Member

I've hardly noticed any "moderation" either - but I have read about it on ANN. According to them it goes on all the time, and I guess I must just be blind

_Steve_ 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 1:02:50
#9 ]
Team Member

Being honest, we are accused of severe moderation here to achieve the peaceful level we have. The fact is however that the number of posts actually removed/moderated to date has been incredibly low.

We are accused of removing anything non pro Amiga Inc., which again is also untrue. The problem is the site is predominantly aimed at the "Amiga" computer systems, which means Classic Amigas, AmigaOnes and AmigaOS (1.x onwards).

Emulation and alternatives are also discussed openly including (but not limited to) UAE and AROS. Points of Views on "rival" companies/products are not just obliterated at the drop of a hat as has been implied.

If anyone feels unfairly treated, feel free to bring it up with a staff member. I cannot read every single thread all of the time and sometimes may miss things.

wolfe 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 1:05:23
#10 ]

Everything is going quite well. Keep up the good work.

Kay 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 1:17:37
#11 ]

I think your moderation is rather strict at times, but I'm all for it. One of the reasons I stopped posting at A.Org was the endless repetition of the same old flamewars. Way too often, when some interesting Amiga news came along, it would quickly be turned into yet another reds vs blues flamefest. Around here, the few threads which have developed in this direction have been promptly locked, saving us all the hassle of repeating ourselves. I think everybody is entitled to an opinion, but that's not the same as saying they should necessarily be entitled to repeat it over and over again wherever they like. Like on every positive Amiga-related news item, for example.

So, I vote for continuing the current moderation policy. You're doing a good job.

Kay

herewegoagain 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 1:18:01
#12 ]
Elite Member

I can certainly tell you, this site is a far cry better than those who want to let every run of the mill troll have free reign of their forums. That is the type of stuff most of us here are sick to death of.

And now they cry "I cannot go to Amigaworld.net and say anything I want and get away with it, so their site sucks..."

If the other sites webmasters would take a clue from this website, there may well be less stress in this whole community. This is without a doubt, the best Amiga portal, bar none. You do realize the site is being slammed because you refuse to officially support Genesi. That is what this all comes down to. If Genesi were to become the sponsor tomorrow, all of those crying now would claim this to be the "new sliced bread". It's just like the Ready for IBM stuff.... but that's another topic.

To the AW staff... carry on, business as usual.

MasterOfReality 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 1:42:53
#13 ]

I haven't posted to any Amiga site for a long time. ANN obviously isn't worth the effort. A.org used to be great, but since Genesi started paying Wayne to love PPC but hate Eyetech (despite better h/w, and actually having machines for sale), it went to hell.

I rarely log in to AW.net, but read it every day. I got sick of being flamed every time I commented on something and packed the interactive bit in altogether. AW was never the source of flames (apart from a small disagreement over global warming and ice-cap melting) but I basically lost patience all round. When I finally get OS4beta for my A1 this will probably change. Until then, it isn't worth the effort.

The day the moderation here loosens up is the day I stop even reading. I like the way one can still have a discussion here (even if I'm not participating) without it turning into a flame war. I like the fact that BBRV can't post ####e and call it a news item. I like the fact that Alan R. does interviews here.

LEAVE IT AS IT IS!!

mjohnson 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 2:09:26
#14 ]
From: going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:
As you are aware, the Amigaworld staff have come in for very strong criticism on the way we moderate or police this site.

I must say I haven't really noticed much moderation going on at all. (In a good way!) From what I gather, things have got to get out of hand beyond salvation before the stern voice of any site police can be heard. And my impression is that after such an intervention, nothing much ever comes out of it other than the thread calming down some and eventually going to rest all by itself..

"Worst" I've seen are a few threads being locked down, threads that died about a dozen posts ago and were going way down hill anyway, with little points left to be made other than who has the biggest **** and whos dad is the strongest...more or less.

Quote:

We would like to think that we have your support in the way we run this site.

Mine, you have. Love this site.

Not that I really made a choice when I started reading here, just happened to stumble across it whilst browsing for Amiga news about half a year ago, and then I just stuck around, and registered as a user a few months ago.

And recently, I've started to realize that I was darn lucky that it was this site I happened to stumble across!

Mostly because I am what would today be labeled as a "red", and this seems to be the only strictly "pro-red" site around. Which is what I'm interested in, since I own two Amigas I wouldn't care much to read through tons of threads about other OSes that I don't have and likely never will, despite how good or bad they may be.

Quote:

However, we would welcome any comments you may have with regards to the way Amigaworld is moderated.

No comments, just the usual praise and love bombing!

Quote:

Please keep, your comments, constructive and do not post in a manner that may be deemed inflamatory or insultive.

Ehm, I think you have the wrong site here...

Actually, who gives a (insert random foul language) about what users of other sites think? The users at this site seem to kinda think you're doing something right.

And if someone thinks you blow because they can't use your forums as public restrooms, then they should try to find a site that could serve as such! In my humble opinion, of course.

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 2:15:04
# ]

Okay, I don't usually post here. Just monitor this site. But my 2
cents:

1) Moderation. I've seen hidden threads and moderated comments.
Certain type of comments seems to get moderated if moderator is really
pissed off.

2) Moderators cant take heat. If a regular cant take the heat is okay
moderators should cool him down. But moderators should stay calm and
rational. In my opinion this was not always case.

3) Hostility. Or in other words, making friends. It was not so long
ago when gary_c was a regular on this site and although being from
"other side" he was respected here. His posts were always well thought
and interesting. And what is now? Gary_c is gone. Number of members is
increasing, yes, but is the quality of the site increasing
accordingly? Is the interesting content increasing or decreasing?
Regulars are happy with AWN as now (I guess), but would not hurt if
you were gaining more friendliness from other sites too.

For example when I was reading that famous moobunny thread there were
about three AWN guys against 100 other guys. The ending of that
flamewar was not really surprising.

That is all folks. See you on #awfreeciv

Report this post  
Legion 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 2:18:36
#16 ]
Cult Member

keep it the way it is. Its the reason I come here. It sounds to me like the Blue the camp is just mad because they can't come here and troll. boo hoo

I have no problem with pro-genesi comments. I just get tired of the endless Amiga-bashing. Isn't it enough that Ann, Aorg and Moobunny have degraded into flamefests?

Don't change a thing

Paul 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 2:21:06
#17 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
We are especially keen to hear from members who have been with Amigaworld for at least 2 months or more.

I think I started reading here when there were around 100 members or even less. It took only a couple of days of reading to realize I could finally pick up some Amiga information without developing an ulcer from it. You can't tell from my post count, but I'm in here almost daily, often more than once a day, just to see what's new.

I couldn't stand to do that if this site wasn't about Amiga's rather than pseudo wan'na be's. I don't even like going to Amiga's own site at this point. They let far too much unfactual crud go through there. They're actually shooting themselves in the foot with their own site.

I'm surprised to hear that it takes so little moderation to achieve the level of enjoyment we have here. Glad that's the case.

But even if it wasn't, I can go to Morphzone, ANN, and AOrg to read about MOS and PEG. (yes, I have bookmarks and hot buttons for all of them, even though I already own my A1 and can't afford --and don't want-- a Peg besides.)

Keep up the good work. Until you guys came along, I was starting to think the A1's chances of survival were nil. That's how slanted the news was getting. So far, the "slant" at Amigaworld.net has turned out to be the truth, every time a rumor against Amiga get's started elsewhere.

The presence of my A1 running daily on my desktop is evidence that you guys are getting the truth out onto the web. Please don't let the trolls stop what you're doing.

Paul

amigacooke 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 2:25:42
#18 ]

I tend to follow the 'free market' approach here. Those who do the work can moderate the site how they like.

If the moderation is bad, everyone will leave. If the moderation is good new members will join. It's a self regulating system.

For example, in my opinion Amiga.org is no longer a pleasurable experience, so I do not go there anymore.

I think it is that simple. If you don't like this flavour of 'Amiga' portal, go find one that suits your expectation.

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 2:32:03
#19 ]
Elite Member

As I have been a member since July or so I felt that I must also put my two cents in. Before coming to AmigaWorld, I was a highly involved member of another forum in Australia (still am, but post hardly ever anymore) called www.atomicmpc.com.au. The forum was fun there, but easily and very, very often fell into vitriol with personal attacks a high priority. Indeed the thread on Ann.lu actually paled when confronted with some of the goings on at Atomic. I left that forum in highly public circumstances and have posted there only in the last three weeks. Namely, to advertise the Amiga OS4 roadshow for Melbourne.

The atmosphere is EXTREMELY friendly. Yes there have been times when a couple of us have been disappointed with what someone else may have written, but it in no way detracts from the sense of community here. Although I have never met the extremely vast majority of you, I feel that you all are my friend and vice versa. I could only say that for about 50 people over at www.atomicmpc.com.au, from a amongst a whopping 25,000 members! (no typo).

I came here because my brother asked me to join up. I must confess that I had no real interest in the Amiga up until I actually joined aworld. By that I mean, I was a nostalgist for the Classic range but knew nothing of the current line-up of Amiga products. My brother would normally tell me of the funny stuff that you guys would say, and I felt the need to come on! I especially used to love when I saw The_Editor coming onto atomic and posting there! I knew that this would be my home. I was also thankful that DaveyD, L8-X and others came over to Atomic and posted there once or twice in support of the Amiga.

What I am trying to get at here is, I am the top poster within these pages ( ) in terms of quantity and NOT quality , but I have never felt restricted in any way in the way I post from my fellow members here. I believe that this is achieved through the EXCELLENT service that DaveyD and all his staff provide to us in here.

Of course, there will be the naysayers, but criticism (so long as it is constructive) can always be taken as a learning process. I have never seen any heavy handedness in here. I don't know, it may seem so from the outstanding point of view, but I have never felt my membership to be at risk through moderation. In any case, I believe that if I have written something overtly vitriolic, or counter-productive to the service that Aworld provides, then I expect to be moderated. I may get a little shi77y, but it is not to mean that I would try to undermine the site. I believe that most, if not all the members here at Aworld feel the same way.

As some others have written before, "business as usual". I believe that this is in the best interest of the site, we must go ever forth as friends for the platform that most us have loved for nearly two decades now.

I shan't bore you any longer, but I would like to say a big THANK YOU to DaveyD and to all members of his staff.

Thanks

Billsey 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003 2:35:31
#20 ]
From: Look to where the waters meet in the midst of the land. It is here! St. Louis, Missouri, USA!

Has anyone noticed that perhaps those people accusing AW of severe moderation haven't registered the fact that I get to post here without the pot getting all stirred up?

AW is not laid back because of severe moderation, but because that's the character of the place. There does come a time when threads do need to be locked, to keep things from getting out of control, but as to moderating particular users this place has got some of the gentlest moderators I've ever gotten to deal with.

On other forums/mailing lists I've run across just about enough publicly posted swell-chested ?commentaries? against specified users to make me want to puke. That doesn't happen here, praise the LORD. Instead of throwing stones those people making these unfounded accusations should be taking notes on how to moderate a forum.

Thank you for a job quite well done, guys.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle