Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 67 guest(s) on-line.
 4 member(s) on-line.

kolla, OlafS25, pixie, more...

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  9 secs ago
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 Lou:  18 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  57 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Commodore: it's your turn now!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
elatour 
Re: Commodore: it's your turn now!
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 16:01:21
#61 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Thanks for providing those links.

Last edited by elatour on 23-Sep-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 16:12:46
#62 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:
Thanks for providing those links.

Added some more. Please check.

The delay has been twofold. heh. Amiga.org links are all dead since the site design change and the source of one of the q/a is from a site taken down a week ago. heh.

One fact that helps put all of this in perspective, imo, is that the first legal paperwork from Amiga Inc v. Hyperion VOF was filed in April of the same year.

Last edited by number6 on 23-Sep-2010 at 04:22 PM.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 16:42:27
#63 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

"Would be a bit hard for "Commodore" to take back anything, since the name is owned by Tulip is it not (and just the "Commodore" name and C= logo at that).

Gateway owned several/all of Commodore's (as in CBM) patents which I do not believe were sold on to Amiga (W) (though I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong there).

Since it seems Acer have now bought Gateway, it would follow that any of the old Commodore patents held by them will have been transferred to them."

I would suggest several things to you folks. How people see use of a name and a trademark logo maybe different from company to company.

There was Commodore International Ltd. The Bahamas Corporation who supposedly owned all of the IP and Assets of their different worldwide operating companies. Commodore International was just only that a tax shelter/holding company. Nothing went on there, but when Commodore disolved they and the folks disolving the company were responsible..

There was no Commodore USA before in the United States.. in Fact there was a company called Commodore Business Machines, in PA that had it's assets owned by Commodore International..

There was Commodore Canada

There was Commodore UK

Did you guys even remember that Commodore UK was completely solvent even during Commodore International's dissolutionment and had a bid in at the time to try to buy the rest of the operating companies and take the name at that time? They had complete authority to keep going, except they had their assets sold out from under them and IP..

Considering there are many Dutch interests in the Bahammas I am not suprised when the assets were sold/auctioned off that Tulip bought the name mostly at the time to sell their popular PC 20,30,, 40, and 60 model IBM PC compatibles that ran MS DOS and were the most popular "clone" in Europe at the time..

It's unlikely (since Commodore hasn't been an active company in over 20 years now) and the intellectual property isn't in use in the US and "Technically" Commodore USA didn't choose the name of the Commodore Business Machines operating company here that they are even violating active trademarks etc, even if they took that name (which would be seen differently here). Commodore as a word usually means skipper of a boat.. I believe there is a CommodoreWorld here and a Commodore Shipping registered in the USA (ha ha does anyone remember that link ? HINT: IRVING GOULD)...

You guys I believe are way off the mark on some of this.. Like for instance the fact that it wasn't just DEBT that shut down Commodore in the USA it was a patent troll who owned the XOR hardware patent.. The Commodore Semiconductor organization for instance changed names after the dissolutionment and survived several years until considerations about toxicity arose.

See the following URL for details..

http://www.epa.gov/reg3hscd/super/sites/PAD093730174/

You guys are so wrapped up in this that you are losing details.. Commodore USA can probably do what they want in the USA and if they have an agreement with Amiga Inc. here over licensing the name and it's just a company in the USA there is not much anyone can do over it..

As far as the gateway patents, Gateway never really intended to do much development they wanted the patents and an understanding of the hardware technology so they could use it in older generation pc's which are probably not in use today because of the change in board and semi-conductor technology. They shut down "Amiga" and one of the guys there bought the rights to the name which they aquired but didn't care about.. The PC clone revolution was full bore at that point..

In the last year of "Commodore" the CD 32 sat unable to ship in the Asian factories because of the patent troll problems... I suspect that's the CD 32s that we see from Asia that are "New In Box" on E-bay occasionally..

What would a Commodore USA really need any of the Amiga hardware patents for anyway ?? What would they use them for, the hardware has changed significantly and the manufacturing process.. They could do anything via software now and just as fast as any of the older designs..

It's just a falacy to assume any of those patents really matter today..

DonnieA2 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 16:51:52
#64 ]
Cult Member

I'd also further note Commodore International or any of the subsidiaries, never used the name "AmigaOS" in reference to a product, so that name even though the word Amiga is in it, has nothing to do with Commodore. At the time "AmigaDOS", "Amiga Workbench", and "Intuition" was used to describe those parts that, the Gateway employee spinoff "Amiga Inc" called "AmigaOS"..

"AmigaOS" was licensed to H&P and later the current makers of "AmigaOS", so as long as CommodoreUSA uses Commodore related names versus the newer ones that "Amiga Inc" came up with it's probably kind of a loophole..

Daniel 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 18:00:49
#65 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
Take back what belong to you.
Amiga is waiting you.

You are joking, right? This new Commodore has little, if anything, to do with the Commodore of old. They are right down there in the credability stakes with scAmiga Inc.

Until they ship a product they have no credability, it's not hard to buy a domain and cobble together a website by cut and pasting others work.

Rob 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 19:09:51
#66 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2

Care to explain this;

DonnieA2 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 20:56:39
#67 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Yes in fact I do, that packaging wasn't made by Commodore at all. It was released by Escom. In fact it came out much later than the facilities in West Chester ceased to exist.. At the time Escomm had felt that they had the rights to the product and after a prolonged battle Escomm disappeared. Their rights to produce the Amiga logo in that fashion and the Commodore logo ( the "C=" for instance had disappeared from packaging officlally before)..

If you look at that packaging too, it's not done within existing Commodore style guidelines and it's a pretty crappy design (not professional). The internal docs also don't match Commodore's other documentation or the typesetting system most of their printed documentation was done on.. I have issues with the Autodocs too. But there was so much demand for this and it was unlikely there would be retrobution and Escomm really thought they had this bagged I am sure they had this done (from drafts they had access to)..

I was still a CATS developer program member to the end and I remember this didn't ship before the doors locked and assets were frozen and put in control of the bahamas corp.. Getting those usenet messages on newsgroups from the CBMVAX back in thouse days were difficult..

The folks that distributed this at the time were Ex-Commodore employees and some others however even in the community at the time. Dealers and Mail orders mostly still selling backstock from Video Toasters sold these things..

Google Escomm they are on the Amiga history pages out there.. This is really a post Commodore product. I have a real 3.x superkick start disk and file which boots on a 2.0-3.0 machine I also have the zkick files. Technically the rights to the product were up in the air at that time and it was dubious as to whether they could release with this or not. In fact most developers at the time decided to ship with 3.0 disks if they required os files versus 3.1 because of not knowing the licensing status rights..

I also have the belief that Commodore never intended the build that got out as 3.1 to be the final 3.1 release.. Just an FYI

I lived and breathed Commodore-Amiga back then..

By the way here is the official logo that was used until 1994 (the end) via Wikipedia.. The style guide never allowed the old C= ontop of the Commodore logo the way it is presented in that packaging..

notice the upper and lowercase and the typeface..Not to mention the illegal use of Colors that Commodore would have never allowed use. I do believe the printing on the disk labels are authentic though..

Even if you look at Commodore's final CD 32 packaging, which was a console and not supposed to be looked at as an Amiga 1200 with a CDROM minus the keyboard you will see variations of type and typeface..

Last edited by DonnieA2 on 23-Sep-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 23-Sep-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 23-Sep-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 23-Sep-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 23-Sep-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 23-Sep-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 23-Sep-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 21:48:03
#68 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2

I thought this Village Tronic release was prior to the Escom days, but the point was that Amiga OS was used prior to Gateway and Amiga Inc.

andres 
Posted on 23-Sep-2010 22:23:56
#69 ]

@DonnieA2

That package was made by Commodore.
The one made by Village Tronic was different.

Home Recording Audio

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle