Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
43 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 Frank:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 Lou:  5 hrs 14 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OpenOffice for OS4.0
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
runetrek 
OpenOffice for OS4.0
Posted on 11-Dec-2003 22:42:22
#1 ]

Hi,

I'm trying to get OpenOffice ported to OS4.0 and the first thing that I need to do is to write a list over tasks to be done and find out in which order to do these tasks.

*Get the project registrered in "project home" at OpenOffice.org (i'm on that one )

*Get in touch with skilled programmers.

*Find out which of the versions already made that are easiest to port to amiga

*OO is LARGE, and it may seem like an impossible task. So we need to reduce it to several possible tasks, and find out what part to begin with.

Rune.

Profile     Report this post  
gemini 
Re: OpenOffice for OS4.0
Posted on 11-Dec-2003 23:49:40
#2 ]
Cult Member

First I would like to say, Good Luck! From what I understand there have been many abortive attempts to get OOo ported.

However, would it not be better to try and port the programs one at a time rather then trying to do the whole suite at once?

Maybe start with the spreadsheet (we have several wordprocessors that are OK for the time being), then onto the WP, after drawing and then the HTML designer.

Just a thought from someone who knows very little about porting programs!

Gemini

pods 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 2:17:09
#3 ]

Quote:

Maybe start with the spreadsheet (we have several wordprocessors that are OK for the time being), then onto the WP, after drawing and then the HTML designer.

Well, that would be smart, but you'r forgetting that OpenOffice would rely on several libraries either of its own or 3rd party libraries that are common to all the products within the suit.

I would also think the odd refernce to fork maybe found and maybe even threating has been utilised since this was primarily coded for Unix like systems. Thats just some guesses, but its gunna be a biiiiiiiig job! :)

Jeffimix 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 3:04:16
#4 ]

From a non-coder (again) perspective, I'd say port the libraries, get rid of all your forks (why does that sound funny), then port over the modules, carefully, one by one, WITH THE GUI. If OO uses a custom GUI (like Mozilla) then I'd say port that right after the libraries... /me kinda wishes he knew how to program...

Amiga Org

Amiga Inc

ikir 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 9:12:53
#5 ]
Elite Member

GOOD LUCK MATE!!! We are with you :)

Why you don't create a Project page yourself.... or why we don't create a page here at AmigaWorld? So a lot of people can see the project running and maybe join the "army"

sicky 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 9:22:02
#6 ]
Elite Member

@ ikir

"Why you don't create a Project page yourself.... or why we don't create a page here at AmigaWorld? So a lot of people can see the project running and maybe join the "army""

I'll second that idea, how about setting up a fund (like Amizilla) for it?

We (Total Amiga magazine) would like to offer a FREE one off full page ad for advertising such a project (as we are going to offer to the Amizilla "army" too) so that as many people know about it as possible

hyph-n 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 9:25:01
#7 ]

I give you credit for attempting it..... but there isn't even a MacOS X native Aqua version of it yet!.... The version that does run on MacOS X requires X Window.... Has that been ported to the Amiga?

Anyway.... why bother... surely what is needed on the AmigaOS platform is a good Web Browser...

If we [as a community] can't port Mozilla (which is a much smaller task), then i'm not sure about porting OO...

alx 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 10:22:45
#8 ]

These pages might be useful:

Porting OO
OO Hacker's guide

TBH, I don't see much chance of a port in the short-run; from what I've heard, OO really needs many features that AOS currently doesn't have, such as Linux style multithreading. I'm no great programmer, but I'd have imagined that ports of things like X11 and GTK (if that's the toolkit used) would help a lot - big projects in themselves, possibly.

If you can find enough good programmers - who knows. If you're really serious, I'd ask Hyperion what they think the best way to do it would be, seeing as they know the OS better than anyone else.

TheJackal 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 10:35:42
#9 ]

I wonder if it would be easier to write the programs from scratch, using OO source as example code pool on how to do things?

Bodie 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 10:49:31
#10 ]

Although I would love to see OOo on OS4, have people considered porting programs such as AbiWord and gnumeric? I use both on my A1 and thoroughly enjoy them . Also they perhaps wouldn't require such a massive amount of resources and time as a port of OOo would require. Just a thought...

hnl_dk 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 11:28:26
#11 ]

Quote:

Bodie wrote:
Although I would love to see OOo on OS4, have people considered porting programs such as AbiWord and gnumeric? I use both on my A1 and thoroughly enjoy them . Also they perhaps wouldn't require such a massive amount of resources and time as a port of OOo would require. Just a thought...

Hi' Bodie

I totally agree with you ... I use OpenOffice, but I beleave it would be a hell to port to the Amiga ... BIG ... Uses its own ToolKit ... and so on ...

If GTK+2 would get ported to AmigaOS4 We could port AbiWord, Gnumeric (does also need GNOME, but there could maybe be made a wrap), GIMP, and so on ... I would like to try to start porting GTK+2 when I get an AmigaOne + AmigaOS4, but I don't have the time to look @ it now, so I'm not sure

Please send no PM to me, email me if you want to contact me. See you somewhere else.

trgse 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 11:43:43
#12 ]

Quote:

If GTK+2 would get ported to AmigaOS4

the only things that might have to be changed for a OS4 version of GTK+ is the threading and modules support (OS4 should be able to handle it neater).

if anyone is considering porting GTK+ to use ReAction/MUI etc. ... forget it, then you would have to remake the port for every new version of GTK+.

and X11 HAS been ported to Amiga it's on the aminet,
if anyone is going to attempt to do a port (more like a warpper really) of X11 to amiga... this is the place to start, but you MUST have very good knowledge of X11 and MUI.

olegil 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 12:47:07
#13 ]
Elite Member

Basically what you mean is a X11emul.library or something, right? So when something gets compiled for X, it'll just use standard graphics.library routines instead.

Should be doable, and would be quite useable even without the TCP/IP functionality of X11...

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

hnl_dk 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 13:03:12
#14 ]

Quote:

trgse wrote:
Quote:

If GTK+2 would get ported to AmigaOS4

the only things that might have to be changed for a OS4 version of GTK+ is the threading and modules support (OS4 should be able to handle it neater).

if anyone is considering porting GTK+ to use ReAction/MUI etc. ... forget it, then you would have to remake the port for every new version of GTK+.

and X11 HAS been ported to Amiga it's on the aminet,
if anyone is going to attempt to do a port (more like a warpper really) of X11 to amiga... this is the place to start, but you MUST have very good knowledge of X11 and MUI.

About threading ... The GNU Portable Threads (or http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/pth/) has been working on AmigaOS ... don't know if it works now ... maybe Hyperion could integrate it (LGPL )

And there is even a "relationship" with AmigaOS
http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/pth-manual.html#history
Quote:
... The concept and API of message ports was borrowed from AmigaOS' Exec
subsystem. ...

Please send no PM to me, email me if you want to contact me. See you somewhere else.

hnl_dk 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 13:26:47
#15 ]

From the newest readme of The GNU Portable Threads ...

Quote:
Version 2.0.0 (17-Feb-2003)
Pth was successfully tested on FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSDI,
GNU/Linux, Solaris, HPUX, Tru64 (OSF/1), AIX, IRIX, UnixWare, SCO
OpenServer, SINIX, ReliantUNIX, ISC, AmigaOS, Rhapsody (MacOS X), FTX,
AUX and Win32/Cygwin. And it should should automatically adjust itself
to remaining Unix platforms, too.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 13:46:00
#16 ]
Elite Member

An even better idea would be to badger Titan for an OS4 version of Papyrus Office. They probably need to do little more than recompile it to get it to work on OS4.

Then OpenOffice can take it's time as most people won't need anything more.

x11emul.library - I thought of this ages ago, I'm very very surprised nobody has actually coded such a thing, it would make porting X based stuff so much easier.

Chris

AmigaMac 
Gobe on Amiga?
Posted on 12-Dec-2003 18:32:23
#17 ]

With Amiga already on PPC tech and Gobe Productive being native on PPC as well (the BeOS version). We could try and persuade Gobe to develop a version of Productive for Amiga.

What do you folks think?

olegil 
Posted on 13-Dec-2003 11:30:03
#18 ]
Elite Member

Well, porting X based stuff IS easy. Just use the Amiga port of X11 (Amiwin is a good one I've tried, there's also a more straight port on aminet).

The point is that you don't end up with a real Amiga program then... You need to run a window manager inside X as well, which makes it tedious for the user. But I've had twm running on the A1200 previously, worked just fine (had some problems connecting from remote hosts, though. So not very useable).

X11emul.library would need to emulate both X and a simple window manager (basically, it would be like using amiwm under X on a unix system, but instead of having X+window manager looking like AmigaOS, we would have AmigaOS behaving like X+window manager).

Hmm, this is actually worth considering now that OS4 + developer kits will be out for Christmas

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

EntilZha 
Posted on 13-Dec-2003 11:52:18
#19 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Quote:
About threading ... The GNU Portable Threads (or http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/pth/) has been working on AmigaOS ... don't know if it works now ... maybe Hyperion could integrate it (LGPL )

No, we can't include it because of the LGPL.

But then, the GNU thread stuff is obsolete... if you want a threading API that's portable, POSIX threads is for you. IIRC, that's what OO also uses as a thread API, but I'm not sure.

Posix threads should also be pretty easy to implement on AmigaOS. There are some pitfalls, but nothing serious...

In fact, the proposed threading API for OS4.x (with x > 0) is based on the POSIX thread model.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Dec-2003 12:44:58
# ]

The best dishes are made from recipes that start from scratch, and throw in Amiga style, and .... voila!!!

You'll end up with nothing finer!

(...and the computational overhead of a system on a system on a system, may make it (OO, et. al.) a slug, speed wise...)

AOS4.0! Program for IT, not to it !!!!!!!!

Report this post  
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle