Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
35 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MarcioD:  11 mins ago
 Gunnar:  16 mins ago
 OlafS25:  20 mins ago
 kolla:  20 mins ago
 gryfon:  42 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 hrs 29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  wxWidgets
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
spotUP 
Re: wxWidgets
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 9:27:19
#21 ]
Elite Member

@abalaban

why did you stop working on it?

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

Profile     Report this post  
abalaban 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 9:53:28
#22 ]

@spotUP

I don't know, I would say :
"Too much things I wanted to work on, too less spare time" and also not so many interest in the community at that time.
Also one of my main weakness being that I want to do too much at the same time (and not having enough time to do all of them). For example currently I should :
- release an updated OpenURL version that is on my HD since months,
- release an updated ISpell version I worked on last month,
- finish to update to latest sources (3.5.3) the SQLite port we did with Steffen Gutmann ,
- track changes to MUIbase (I'm the OS4 porter),
- finish (and test) a code patch I wrote for Jabberwocky,
- do some french translations (YAM, MUIbase, Jabberwocky, and many more...),
- update SWFPlayer (mainly I want to create a flash.library),
- work on dozen other things I do for fun when I'm borred by all those serious things above

I might help a bit for a wxWidget port but I certainly can't do it myself alone unless if I can clone myself

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot :
- test and eventualy release the port of bison 2.1 I have on my HD,
- test and eventualy release the port of libexif I did,
- send a debug version of FTPMount to Elwood to help tracking a bug,
- finish my C++ implementation GuitarPro 4 reading library (this one being part of the 'for fun things'),

In fact re-reading my post I'm completely mad

Last edited by abalaban on 14-Dec-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Heinz 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 10:10:26
#23 ]

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Heinz

Are their any cross-platform GUI design tools? wx-DevC++ is windows only. I'll really have to have a closer look at wxWidgets now.

Hans

This one:

http://www.codeblocks.org/

I never used it, so I am not sure if it has a GUI Designer, but it looks good.

BTW it is written with wxWidgets ...

Rogue 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 10:10:37
#24 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Hans

Quote:
So, is there any interest in resurrecting this project?

Yes, I think it is a very interesting project, and although my time is limited, I would like to help out.

Is this port supposed to wrap around the native widgets, or around the themable engine? The latter could be easier to port I suppose, especially if there are supposed to be Classic, OS 4 and MorphOS versions, although of course MUI could be used on these.

Rogue 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 10:14:38
#25 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Heinz

Quote:
I never used it, so I am not sure if it has a GUI Designer, but it looks good.

It also has a GUI designer. I used it before, as a matter of fact, I used the IDE (not the GUI designer obviously) to write the Installer for the Classic CD.

Hans 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 14:28:34
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
So, is there any interest in resurrecting this project?

Yes, I think it is a very interesting project, and although my time is limited, I would like to help out.

Is this port supposed to wrap around the native widgets, or around the themable engine? The latter could be easier to port I suppose, especially if there are supposed to be Classic, OS 4 and MorphOS versions, although of course MUI could be used on these.

I have a very limited understanding of the source, but looks like it's mostly a wrapper around native widgets, and other parts of the OS. It also has a universal set of widgets that can be used to fill in those ones that an OS doesn't have. A wrapper for OS drawing calls (probably via a GInfo struct would be best) so that custom wxWidgets can also be made.

I have no idea how the themable engine works, but that could be another option. One advantage of using native widgets would be that you take advantage of intuition's way of doing things (e.g.., redrawing occurs in the intuition task, making everything feel more responsive).

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 16:26:22
#27 ]
Elite Member

@DaveAE

BTW, if we had wxWidgets on Amiga OS, how likely would it be that Audio Evolution 5 gets an Amiga OS4 version? IIRC, version 4 has an OS4 version, but version 5 is currently Windows and Mac only.

Hans

DaveAE 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 16:43:26
#28 ]

@Hans

Very likely.

Rogue 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 17:46:10
#29 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Hans

Quote:
I have a very limited understanding of the source, but looks like it's mostly a wrapper around native widgets, and other parts of the OS. It also has a universal set of widgets that can be used to fill in those ones that an OS doesn't have. A wrapper for OS drawing calls (probably via a GInfo struct would be best) so that custom wxWidgets can also be made.

AFAIK (I had a look at it a while ago) there are two general directions, the "native" wrapper and wxUniversal, the themable version. I don't have any clue about how fast this is.

Quote:
I have no idea how the themable engine works, but that could be another option. One advantage of using native widgets would be that you take advantage of intuition's way of doing things (e.g.., redrawing occurs in the intuition task, making everything feel more responsive).

What I dislike about Intuition's way of doing things is how a crash in one gadget's code can kill the whole system. The next generation design therefore plans to move GUI rendering out of the application into a thread, which will be automatically created by the system once it starts doing any sort of GUI code.

The same could basically be done for wxUniversal.

The_Editor 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 18:47:51
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

if wxWidgets is ported does that meanwe can finally crunch Rosetta on Os4 ?

Hans 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 19:21:33
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

AFAIK (I had a look at it a while ago) there are two general directions, the "native" wrapper and wxUniversal, the themable version. I don't have any clue about how fast this is.

Oh, is that what you're talking about. I'd imagine that using wxUniversal would be the first step, even if you're using the native gadgets. It would be an intermediate step. The disadvantage of not using the native gadgets would be having to generate a new theme for every theme that the OS has, and having to switch the wxWidgets theme separately to match the OS's one. To be honest, wxWidgets using native GUI elements is why it interests me more than the other myriad of GUI toolkits. Bypassing that feature would make it worth less IMHO.

Quote:

What I dislike about Intuition's way of doing things is how a crash in one gadget's code can kill the whole system. The next generation design therefore plans to move GUI rendering out of the application into a thread, which will be automatically created by the system once it starts doing any sort of GUI code.

The same could basically be done for wxUniversal.

True. That is a problem with intuition. However, it's much better than the application's own thread having to do the redraw, causing the GUI to freeze every time it does some major processing that takes a long time. Each app having its own intuition thread is the way forward.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 14-Dec-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Rogue 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 21:55:10
#32 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Hans

Quote:
Bypassing that feature would make it worth less IMHO.

True, but on the other hand there are a few peculiarities of AmigaOS GUI generation that might not tie in too well with what other platforms use. Absolute positioning comes to mind, and although I think it is possible even with reaction, usually the wxWidget versions of widgets offer different or more functionality than Reaction (or evem MUI for the matter).

I don't know how wxWidget handles this, but usually I think if the native widget doesn't support the whole of the functionality, it is replaced by a self-rendered one.

Quote:
Each app having its own intuition thread is the way forward.

We've done that already with RAMLIB, by opening every library and device in its own thread. That takes away the catastrophic failures you get under OS 3.x when something crashes in the init code - you crash a single thread but the rest of the system still works. The pager works quite similar to this.

Actually, the handling of things inside the application was one of the things I disliked about MUI, in spite of its much superior functionality over Reaction. Of course you could do that yourself (use a thread for window management) but it adds additional overhead, and hardly anybody does it.

Hans 
Posted on 14-Dec-2007 22:51:29
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
Bypassing that feature would make it worth less IMHO.

True, but on the other hand there are a few peculiarities of AmigaOS GUI generation that might not tie in too well with what other platforms use. Absolute positioning comes to mind, and although I think it is possible even with reaction, usually the wxWidget versions of widgets offer different or more functionality than Reaction (or evem MUI for the matter).

Ironically, GUIs on the Amiga always seem to resize nicely with the layout classes. One of my complaints about windows apps was that their GUI elements often didn't resize to match the font/language being used, resulting in cut off text.

Quote:

I don't know how wxWidget handles this, but usually I think if the native widget doesn't support the whole of the functionality, it is replaced by a self-rendered one.

That sounds about right.

Quote:

Actually, the handling of things inside the application was one of the things I disliked about MUI, in spite of its much superior functionality over Reaction. Of course you could do that yourself (use a thread for window management) but it adds additional overhead, and hardly anybody does it.

Considering that MUI is built on top of BOOSPI, I'm surprised that they did this. Actually, this could possibly be fixed in the MUI window or application class. I wouldn't know for sure as I've never programmed anything using MUI before.

Hans

samo79 
Posted on 15-Dec-2007 1:05:25
#34 ]
Elite Member

@All

What about GTK-MUI ?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-mui/

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Hans 
Posted on 15-Dec-2007 1:10:04
#35 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

GTK on windows is not a wrapper on windows. GTK apps don't look like native apps on windows, which defeats the purpose of the wrapper.

Hans

salass00 
Posted on 15-Dec-2007 12:52:42
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

As it happens I'm currently making some scripts using wxruby (on Windows). I tried tcl/tk at first but I didn't like how it looked and how the layout system worked. The BoxSizer in wxruby OTOH works very similar to ReAction's layout.gadget, which is nice, and it produces decent looking GUIs too.

Maybe when wxWidgets is ported to OS4, wxruby can be ported too (there is already a port of the ruby interpreter for OS4)?

Last edited by salass00 on 15-Dec-2007 at 12:54 PM.

itix 
Posted on 15-Dec-2007 13:37:32
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

Considering that MUI is built on top of BOOSPI, I'm surprised that they did this. Actually, this could possibly be fixed in the MUI window or application class. I wouldn't know for sure as I've never programmed anything using MUI before.

MUI is based on BOOPSI (SetAttrs(), DoMethod() and so on) but it is not based on existing BOOPSI classes.

In general BOOPSI has nothing to do with UI. It just happens to have some classes that compose window layout, was it ClassAct or MUI.

Quote:

Actually, this could possibly be fixed in the MUI window or application class.

There is nothing to fix. Running GUI in your own process is the right thing to do. It ensures that Amiga does not stop multitasking when gadget render is doing silly things.

If window refresh is problem then you can spawn separate thread for GUI easily (just call CreateNewProc() or use Process.mui class in MUI4). It is really piece of cake. For example Ambient runs its MUI GUI in a separate thread and DOS operations (copy, dirscan, icon layout...) are done in another. It is something what you must do with other GUI systems also (was it GadTools or ClassAct()) because silly DOS requesters could block your GUI completely.

itix 
Posted on 15-Dec-2007 13:40:08
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

GTK on windows is not a wrapper on windows. GTK apps don't look like native apps on windows, which defeats the purpose of the wrapper.

GTK-MUI is a wrapper -- it wraps GTK GUI into MUI GUI.

However for more complex applications it is not enough... Pango, ATK, GDK, glib, iconv... all kind of crap.

itix 
Posted on 15-Dec-2007 13:46:24
#39 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

Hmm... though, it could be easier if MUI spawned new thread for GUI rather than rely on application writers. Unfortunately BOOPSI was not designed for multithreading (in a way it is needed in MUI). Calling DoMethod() to MUI application from other thread is illegal except in few special cases...

Hans 
Posted on 15-Dec-2007 15:42:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

GTK-MUI is a wrapper -- it wraps GTK GUI into MUI GUI.

However for more complex applications it is not enough... Pango, ATK, GDK, glib, iconv... all kind of crap.

Yes, GTK-MUI is a wrapper, but on other OSes it isn't (read what I wrote above). It's not designed to use the native widgets like wxWdigets is. My interest in wxWidgets is that I can write a GUI once and have it run on all target OSes without the usual problems of other cross-platform toolkits (such as things not matching the target OS's current theme, having to install 100MB+ of stuff).

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm... though, it could be easier if MUI spawned new thread for GUI rather than rely on application writers. Unfortunately BOOPSI was not designed for multithreading (in a way it is needed in MUI). Calling DoMethod() to MUI application from other thread is illegal except in few special cases...

I work under the assumption that programmers are lazy and don't like repeating things. Getting MUI to do this rather than leaving it up to application programmers is probably a good idea.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 15-Dec-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle