Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  23 secs ago
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  12 mins ago
 Lou:  21 mins ago
 outlawal2:  31 mins ago
 Chris_Y:  42 mins ago
 Gunnar:  58 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  750FX CPU freezes
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
750FX CPU freezes
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 6:57:58
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hello.

Does the 750FX PowerPC G3 have any issues with OS4? I remember there was an issue with IBrowse running on G3 CPUs a while back. How was this resovled?

This A1 freezing I have is really starting to annoy me. It can't be reproduced at any time yet will occur when I least expect it. It froze when YAM was loading email headers. It even froze when IBrowse was sitting there doing nothing.

Since Linux runs perfectly each and every time I am thinking that maybe there is some rogue exception that OS4 hasn't been programmed to handle and so just freezes. In my obsevation and programing experience the only reason for a complete freeze to occur is when there is a crash inside an interrupt. An acccidental loop of non-ending code in an interrupt will produce the same result. Even when emulated.

I have nothing else that I can think of to blame. I really prefer the memory errors I used to get eariler before I broke my machine. As funny as that sounds, because it never caused my machine to just freeze up. Now after replacing my CPU and memory suddenly my machine is unstable.

Because of this I have run out of reasons why I don't use a PC. Right now a PC is looking a lot easier. Buy it. Surf the web. No freezes.

Profile     Report this post  
K-L 
Re: 750FX CPU freezes
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 7:04:01
#2 ]

@Hypex

I've been using my AmigaOne G3/800 daily for a few years now without any kind of problems (with Dnetc running in background every time).

If you haven't got any trouble with Linux, check your OS 4 installation.

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 7:11:50
#3 ]

@Hypex

So...anything on serial? Is it related to MUI programs, or programs using network or programs in general?

OldFart 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 8:49:08
#4 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Hypex

Quote:
750FX CPU freezes

It shows how really 'cool' PPC is?

Sorry, could not resist...

OldFart

cHaOs667 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 8:57:27
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Does the 750FX PowerPC G3 have any issues with OS4? I remember there was an issue with IBrowse running on G3 CPUs a while back. How was this resovled?

Sorry, never had any problems running IBrowse on my PPC 750FX. Have you checked your HDD, Memory and Voltage?
Quote:
Now after replacing my CPU and memory suddenly my machine is unstable.

Where do you got the new CPU Module?

Last edited by cHaOs667 on 02-Sep-2008 at 08:57 AM.

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

nubechecorre 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 8:59:57
#6 ]
Cult Member

You have yours hd set to PIO or DMA mode ?.. try them in PIO mode and see if this help..
If not, try to put a better fan and heatsink on your cpu ( the one provided with the cpu is poor ) and then try the vcore settings..

Bitplane

Swoop 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 10:11:12
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

This A1 freezing I have is really starting to annoy me. It can't be reproduced at any time yet will occur when I least expect it. It froze when YAM was loading email headers. It even froze when IBrowse was sitting there doing nothing.

I also get random freezes on my A1XE G3/800, and can find no rhyme nor reason for them.

I have had a problem with my hard drive, not booting, and currently I have the side off my A1. I have a new dvd-writer to fit, and a radeon9250 to fit ready for 4.1, so I'll check my core voltage at the same time.

I also seem to get more freezes when connected to the web, either IBrowse, or OWB, so it may be ethernet connected, but this is realy just an impression I have rather than hard facts.

I would realy be interested if you find a soloution.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Deniil715 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 11:50:11
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I would make sure the CPU isn't overheated and that it has the correct Vcore.

If you replaced the CPU module and got a different CPU you most likely need to change the Vcore.

If I'm not mistaken, a too high Vcore will cause overheating and freezes while a too low Vcore will make it stop randomly during boot and if it boots it will behave wierd but not necessarily freeze.

Remember that the Vcore setting on the mother board may not be entirely accurate if you don't have a perfect PSU.

You may also try reseating any PCI/AGP cards.
Remove SetA1.

Samwel 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 12:25:08
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Does the 750FX PowerPC G3 have any issues with OS4?

750FX does not have any known problems. 750GX had som problems that showed itself
especially with IBrowse. But this cache initialization bug was fixed ages ago.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:06:10
#10 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

My OS4 setup was the same as I left it before I broke my G4. I use the same setup with a G3 and suddenly it is random unstableness. So:

EDIT: No wait, I replaced my floppy cable with a modern coiled one. Can a floppy drive not in use cause a system freeze?

And I'd had to log into IBrowse again after rebooting?! Oh yes it just did it again after my last message. I checked my PCI slots and tried to photo my DIPs but it came out just too blurry.

Last edited by Hypex on 02-Sep-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 02-Sep-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:10:28
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

Although the shell froze on me during some heavy compiling a little while back, it does only seem to affect MUI programs using the network. I tried to get serial output from my "SetA1 PCI" instant freeze but nothing was there. I wish I had a mini computer I could leave connected to serial just incase I can catch it. I updated a MUI class recently and now in YAM some title text is all black and the cursor is missing in string gadgets.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:11:10
#12 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:
It shows how really 'cool' PPC is?

LOL!

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:14:36
#13 ]
Elite Member

@cHaOs667

Quote:
Sorry, never had any problems running IBrowse on my PPC 750FX. Have you checked your HDD, Memory and Voltage?

Yes. I had to replace my main HDD as it had read errors, but it never caused a freeze before. I recently checked my volages and whenever I run a memtest (from a boot shell) it comes up fine. I even copied files to RAM until it ran out to see if a bug would occur.

Quote:
Where do you got the new CPU Module?

An OS4 developer, Tony Wyatt, sold me his G3.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:17:17
#14 ]
Elite Member

@nubechecorre

Quote:
You have yours hd set to PIO or DMA mode ?.. try them in PIO mode and see if this help..

Ouch! DMA please, on my Sii0680.

Quote:
If not, try to put a better fan and heatsink on your cpu ( the one provided with the cpu is poor ) and then try the vcore settings..

The previous owner had no problems with the fan and I copied his vcore settings as he told me. Plus I have a bad history with G4, it broke because I touched the fan. I don't want to change any factory settings again.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:22:01
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

Quote:
I also get random freezes on my A1XE G3/800, and can find no rhyme nor reason for them.

Thankyou! At least I don't feel so alone. Oh, Rhyme And Reason, that's one of my favorite songs by Brothers and Systems.

Quote:
I have had a problem with my hard drive, not booting, and currently I have the side off my A1. I have a new dvd-writer to fit, and a radeon9250 to fit ready for 4.1, so I'll check my core voltage at the same time.

I've checked and doubled checked, and when I posted my settings on AW.net no one spoke up about any problem with them.

Quote:
I also seem to get more freezes when connected to the web, either IBrowse, or OWB, so it may be ethernet connected, but this is realy just an impression I have rather than hard facts.

The same here!

Quote:
I would realy be interested if you find a soloution.

So do I! Any of us!

I'd really like it if, like the old RAD disk, if you could specify the debug buffer not to be erased on reboot. That would really help.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:29:08
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Then it is most likely by what you say I would have overset the VCore. But as reported in an eariler thread, I posted my VCore settings, no one said they was wrong.

But I have suspected if the PSU is at fault. The last one I had just died suddenly with no warning. Then someone gave me the exact type I had been using and still am now!

But, if the PSU was at fault, why didn't it show up with a G4 that uses more power and runs hotter?

It looks like I have something of a phenomenon here. I just don't enjoy it!

Oh BTW I don't use SetA1 permanently. I just use it to cause an intant freeze. Which BTW no one has gave me any feedback on. SetA1 will freeze my A1 while looking at PCI, but it's fine on everyone else's machine while looking at PCI shall I assume?

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 14:30:24
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
750FX does not have any known problems. 750GX had som problems that showed itselfespecially with IBrowse. But this cache initialization bug was fixed ages ago.

Yes that was it. Damn I thought I had it.

Antique 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 16:35:00
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Maybe nothing to do with your problem but....
On my SE i had system freeze,when surfing the net,watching movies with mplayer. The system seemed to go to sleep for some time and then suddenly it started again like nothing had happened. Only change i did was to set my hds to udma 4. Was set to best pio mode. And now i don't get any more timeouts.

Swoop 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 16:39:52
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I have just checked and my vcore is set to 1.44v (off.on.off.off).

What does the vcore actually do?
What if about reducing it to 1.39v (on.off.off.off)?

Would this slow my system down in anyway?

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

olegil 
Posted on 2-Sep-2008 16:42:04
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Antique

Damn, I had the same problem and could never figure it out. Of course, now I have the problem that it doesn't even start U-Boot...

And I don't have a suitable JTAG programmer for the 750CXe. neither do the Friedens...

I do however have an old PPCBoot flash chip, maybe I could try that...

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle