Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Deaths_Head:  17 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  26 mins ago
 matthey:  32 mins ago
 pixie:  51 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  OS4.1 problematic on Sam?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
OS4.1 problematic on Sam?
Posted on 30-Nov-2008 13:19:36
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hello.

I have been trying to get things working on a new friends new Sam system. But I keep getting crashes. One example, is DOpus crashes when trying to configure, but that could be the way it is installed. The user has practically jumped from OS1.3 to OS4.1 so is bound to have trouble. But his system is crashing on things mine is not! Mostly, it is the WarpOS games. Heretic II and Freespace demos end up in a DSI. What he realy wants to work is Shogo which always ends up in a DSI from the software renderer. Sometimes an ISI. And an ISI requires a full reboot to recover. He has followed the tips.

So is this a Sam problem or is it tied just to OS4.1? He doesn't know why it is crashing as to him WOS is OS4 native. Until I owned my AmigaOne I never had any PowerPC Amiga hardware but somehow I seem to know the difference with all these kernels. The OS4 Amiga is a complicated machine, gone are the simple days.

Remember when computing was fun? Yes it was when I used my A1200, fulltime, those days are gone!

Profile     Report this post  
TrevorDick 
Re: OS4.1 problematic on Sam?
Posted on 30-Nov-2008 13:34:47
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

The updated version of DOpis works fine under OS4.1 on A1-XE's, µA1-C's and Sam 440's.

Chech this thread to download the updated files

Dopus download

TrevorD

AmiKit 
Posted on 30-Nov-2008 13:42:13
#3 ]

@Hypex

I understand your feelings here. I was also VERY disappointed by the number of crashes when trying to run PPC games. More info here. Note that they were designed to work on classic hardware with PPC accelerator. To run it on A1/SAM you need to configure them a little and download the updates from Hyperion site. But even though I haven't managed to run Shogo so far - seems I wasted my money here. The dealers should warn people if something doesn't work on A1/SAM.

ZeroG 
Posted on 30-Nov-2008 14:16:21
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Do you use the newest version of warposemu from os4depot?
Older Versions dont work with SAMs CPU.

Kicko 
Posted on 30-Nov-2008 14:32:42
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

The classic was not simple in any way. I had crashes on classic too. I had a bunch of 3rd party hardware on my old a1200/a4000. Just think of reinstalling os3.x from scratch. It gives a headache to make the hardware work.

With my A1 i can just insert os4 cd, install it and voila it works. Spare me alot of time not have to find drivers and how to transfer them etc...
Its all have to know how your system works. Havent used classic for ages and i feel it replaces my classic by far.

Classic software is written for classic machines so not strange many arent working. You test and trial and see what works what not. You have all new software that isnt avaible on classic. Then there is some of the classic software that have been updated to work on os4 or native version. Just see the problem with dopus and os4.1. I use the latest and have no problems with it.

Ibrowse does crash more emulated on my A1 then on classic. But that im sure can be fixed by updating ibrowse. However these things takes time and who knows when an update will come. I get less crashes putting ibrowse in compatibility list (non JIT).

If a classic program have bugs that arent shown on classic but on os4 could be a bad coded soft. Could be also os4 classic emulator.I used alot of patches to make my system more stable on classic. Like statattack, mcp and other. The programs/games that was hardcoded to the amigas chips is not strange they dont work. Made to run on classic. I use UAE to test some old games/demos etc.
We are going forward nut backwards. I replace classic soft i dont need if i get something similar that is native. With years i have less 68k stuff.

All i can say its as fun to use os4 as it was in the ages of classic. Ok not totally as these days we went on copy parties, the amiga community was alot bigger. There were more games/apps released. Its just the situation as it is today. Less users, problems with amiga inc, no hardware etc. Maybe it will change with SAM and future HW but that will take time.

I exchanged dopus68k with native. ATC i still use sometimes but PFTP native does it work. ANR replaced with Tunenet native. OWB to fill in where ibrowse lacks. HD-rec (partly 68k and some plugins native). Arteffect to paint but have problems with new composition mode. Also amistart have problems with that so i switched off composition. I use mplayer to check all videos. Good luck on classic and its hw. DVPlayer looks nice but cant play some formats.

And ofcourse we are getting older ;) less stuff are fun and more complicated. For me OS4 is easier. Some stuff are more hard to know but its a way to know your system ,to find info and help on amiga sites etc. All that i have done with classic too. There was no magic way to do things like a wanding stick. But ofcourse we lack some apps :) and games. We do have alot of SDL stuff.

I dont have a SAM. I do know Amigaone have some hardware bugs etc but we had also alot of 3rd party hardware on classic to replace old and slow devices with. OS4 for SAM is still beta but i believe most of the problem stuff will be solved with updates. It was like that for A1.

Im trying to write a book again it looks like......... :D

Templario 
Posted on 30-Nov-2008 18:24:18
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

You know that many problems are because the OS 4.1 is beta, and some programs crashed the system include the 68k, but there are others that works very fine, for example the Battle of Wesnoth, the DvPlayer full version except with the DVD movies with menu, other programs well, Guru Meditation as is show in the screen for example with the AmigaAmp and some pluggins, but the very very important when we have the version of 4.1 for our Sams finish? when? and if all problems are correct.

fingus 
Posted on 30-Nov-2008 22:43:50
#7 ]
Cult Member

Here, OS4.1 beta on SAM440ep works 95% of the time without crashes or freezes. I'm still insane enough to this BETA-Version as my main System for E-Mail, Chat and of course Browsing.

My PC wasn't turn on since i receive my sam440ep system.

And of course i force my girlfriend to use it for her shopping-sites and told her "its more secure, because of missing active-x scripting, incompatible x86 viruses on ppc and stuff like that". All sites including Homebanking working perfectly with OWB for her.

Phantom 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 1:07:24
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

About DOpus, try this download (not from OS4Depot):

http://aminet.net/biz/dopus/DirectoryOpus-4.18.12.lha

Also don't forget to change the iconify state from window to appicon, or you will encounter problems in Workbench. And don't forget that 4.1 on SAM is still in beta stage.

kgrach 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 2:33:55
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

as a rabid DOPUS hater.
I say ditch the trash.

ANYTHING IS BETTER.

As a file lister Dopus fails misserably.
heck windows explorer does a better job that states on how pathetically usseless dopus is.

When I ask people why they use dopus I find out they use for features that are already built into the OS. They never learned what the new Amiga OS's can do and are stuck in 1.3 land and Dopus.

There is nothing Dopus does that can't be done with the OS and dpending on the version with the OS all hell can break out using Dopus.

Even now with the latest version a large partition and large file directory will trash Dopus and your directory JOY!!

Most people who use dopus know nothing about the OS otherwise they would ask why do I need this garbage.

Its a relec of the past and should of been buried long ago with 1.3

Just my two cents but before you berate me list the unique functionality of Dopus something that the plain old work bench can't do.

Kgrach

Phantom 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 2:42:58
#10 ]
Elite Member

@kgrach

I think that you under-estimated DOpus. I like CLI very much of course, but in some areas DOpus can be your right hand.

Last edited by Phantom on 01-Dec-2008 at 02:44 AM.

zerohero 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 10:03:58
#11 ]
Team Member

@kgrach

Quote:
Even now with the latest version a large partition and large file directory will trash Dopus and your directory JOY!!

Feel free to back those claims up with some evidence, preferably in a PM to me, to keep this thread clean.

Kicko 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 10:14:08
#12 ]
Elite Member

@kgrach

I use dopus daily and i love it

Amigo1 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 11:13:33
#13 ]

@kgrach

I concur with you. I had a go with Dopus 9 (or so) on Windous, and it made the AmigaOs version look like something from the past century..

Really, with the improved functionality of the OS4.0 and yet 4.1 workbench, and sometimes a little help from AmiDisk, DOpus is absolutely superfluous IMHO. Of course there is the shell too..

my 2 cents..

AmiKit 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 11:31:17
#14 ]

@kgrach
Quote:
There is nothing Dopus does that can't be done with the OS

Sure, the features or results done with OS or DOpus might look the same, but the difference is in the process of achieving such a results.

nexus 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 11:38:41
#15 ]

@AmiKit

yes, SHOGO doesn't work on AOS4.1/SAM. With software renderer, you manage to start the game and enter the menu. But then after a short while it crashes.

Wipeout2097 also doesn't work on SAM -- even though, I saw some youtube video which shows it on an A1! So what's the difference here??

Actually, only PaybackWOS works with Sam (in software rendering mode). No other WarpOS App seems to work.

Is a Sam440ep less compatible than a A1?

nexus

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 13:42:08
#16 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick &
@Phantom

Thanks for the links. i'll be updating mine.

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 13:53:57
#17 ]
Elite Member

@AmiKit

Yes I can see your point about classic hardware. What's silly is that most of these games were ported from platforms without custom Amiga hardware so what was added in? Since OS4 can discover and show a "multitude of sins" it's possible that they have bugs not affecting a 68k Amiga.

BTW, don't know if it helps Sam, but I managed to crash my A1 with the same bug in the renderer. I went to in-game display settings and changed the textures to 8-bit. It has been fine since for the short time I have played it. (The demo.) But this game confuses me, I don't see anything shooting at me apart from a smoke emulation (?), and white fills the screen.

Daedalus 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 13:58:13
#18 ]

@Hypex

A lot of work went into getting those games to work on the Amiga, which was less powerful than the other platforms it was running on. Shortcuts and undocumented functions were probably added in to increase the speed, and closely knit Warp3D access probbaly helped as well. I would imagine the smoke is a byproduct of the update of Warp3D for OS4 - it seems to affect the way shadows are rendered, making them solid instead of translucent. Wipeout 2097 shadows for example. I don't think there's a fix for this :(

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 14:10:57
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

So you write books? I've written the odd essay. I do thank you for that chapter, I enjoyed reading it.

I had forgotten about drivers, until I discovered a Voodoo card and Mediator. But in my own experience I have only used real Amiga hardware like my DKB board and SCSI with drivers built onto the flashrom and loaded as the Amiga boots. You know, the proper Amiga way, hence why I said real.

I am also reminded of another thing that crashes, Amplifier from OS3.9. From the OS, that's pretty bad! Crashes on exit.

I do remember all the hacks and patches. I had my fair share. We are almost still at this level with commodities, since any reinstall will destory a setup. And icons must be dragged out again and tooltypes set.

I like the Amiga programs that became OS4 native, but don't like things that lost features in the process. Apparently NallePuh had a GUI. And some things like MUI classes don't have installers anymore. That's point I'd like to make. I realy hate it now when things require MUI classes or 3rd party libraries and you aren't even told where to download everything. This takes the fun out if it IMHO. Even Windows does a better job of installing all this stuff! But this is up to the programmers. Sure I could write my own script but why should I need too?

Infact, I am thinking of writing some programs to manage commodity settings and WBStartup. And right now a package manager. Like in Linux, where you search for what program you want and it does the rest, installing all the dependencies. We really need something like that now! The whole thing is a mess! Case in point: MakeCD. Shifted to a new place on the web and it's still hard to download! I told my friend, download this, then patch it with this finally add this. He grabbed one file and it seemed to work. He didn't bother with the rest. Now he is asking me, about his dock, where is the MakeCD icon? He downloaded a patch with no installer. He didn't know. I mean, cripes, what's wrong with making one final version of MakeCD with installer and all included? How hard can it be?

You can see how this annoys me. Right now I see this as more important than a full blown web browser or the lack of Java. Argh!

broadblues 
Posted on 1-Dec-2008 14:22:24
#20 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kgrach

Quote:

Just my two cents but before you berate me list the unique functionality of Dopus something that the plain old work bench can't do.

Copy a file from one lister to another? (with one action)

If you drag an icon from one directorty to another on workbench it moves the file. You have to make copy, copy it and rename it. Obvious in the CLI individual files are much easier. If there a way to do that in the workbench with one action, that I've missed all these years I'd genuinely love to know it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle