Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  21 secs ago
 OneTimer1:  18 mins ago
 hardwaretech:  45 mins ago
 OlafS25:  51 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Mgwl:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Market research for new PowerPC system
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hans 
Re: Market research for new PowerPC system
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 1:32:55
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:

Crumb wrote:
IMHO a 1/1.3Ghz board is not interesting for the market: we'll have 1.5Ghz Mac Mini in less than 3 months.

BTW, Altivec is a must if we want the machine to play 1920x1080 H264 videos.

My 1.5 GHz Turion 64 isn't enough for 1920x1080 H264. Either the graphics card has to do the decoding, or you need a multi-core machine.

Hans

Profile     Report this post  
Hans 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 1:36:05
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

Quote:

Varthall wrote:
@Trixie

Quote:

If ACube actually made it in the industrial market, they would surely drop some news about that, or at least mentioned a partner. So far they haven't, so I guess no big deal from industrial sales for ACube.

Take a look at this page:

http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=company

They are mentioning some partners: they provide STx SAM motherboards which are then reselled with custom or standard configurations, no mention if they are intended for industrial market or not. They also mention Denx, but not sure which way the collaboration goes between them and ACube. Also, it is a fact that they spend only very little time for PR management, likely because they're a small company. And personally, in general when I don't have much information I tend not to make any assumptions.

And this news item on their website announces two industrial projects. Something is happening on the industrial side, even if they're not parading it before us right now.

Hans

Zylesea 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 9:43:02
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

What your Turion does is rather irrelevant. A 8610 board (NEC redtail) has been demoed to replay full hd video content.
There was also the hd demo on the mac Mini running MorphOS, but this test was a bit cheaty (the hd video was decoded in real time, but it was downscaled to the actual video resolution tat was less than the full hd resolution (it was rojected on a generic beamer...)).

eXec.pl 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 9:46:04
#64 ]

Quote:
we'll have 1.5Ghz Mac Mini in less than 3 months.

I don't need Mac Mini because I can't run Amiga Operating System on it. This is good for MorphOS platform but it's useless for Amiga platform.

Fransexy 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 10:17:13
#65 ]
Elite Member

@feanor

And what about rebranding the Fixstars' YDL PowerStation and spend the money in funding the port of Haiku, AmigaOS/MorphOS/Aros and others?

feanor 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 10:49:17
#66 ]

@Fransexy

A few people suggested that, but if you think spending 500EUR for a e600 board is too much, then what do you think about spending $1000+ for a PPC970 board? Sure it's going to be a dual dual-core, not something to be frowned upon, but, it will be MUCH harder to port every OS mentioned to that one -being 64-bit.

Also, I'm sceptical about the PPC970, it basically looks like IBM is clearing its stock of the CPUs. From all the options mentioned, only the QorIQ has a future to look forward to. the MPC86xx series are *fantastic* chips - I have a 8610 and it rocks, really- but their future is bleak. But even worse is the future of the PPC970. IBM has no big presence in the embedded market -at least not as big as Freescale- and so it doesn't feel the pressure to produce a ton of low-power CPUs. Sure the 476 looks a nice option, but it's scheduled for Q42010.

The point is, if PPC970 is chosen, you could kiss goodbye to all 3 OSes you mentioned, AmigaOS/MorphOS/Haiku. Actually of the 3 the only probable to work sooner than later is Haiku, being open.

Crumb 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 10:50:03
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

Quote:
I suppose with a newer, but compatible motherboard, such as a flex one.

with the low number of boards produced no industrial customer would trust in them.

Quote:
And can they cover *all* the needs of industrial customers?

Firstly, other industrial boards support RTOS like QNX. Second, there are tons of x86 boards that do the same, are easier to replace and don't force you to code the fpga in certain way: it's easier to buy an Altera on PCI because if my computers break it will be easier to recode it.

Quote:
Again, are the price and performance really the only factors that make a motherboard attractive in that market?

Not just price and performance but also:
-RTOS availability
-Easy replacement (that includes not being chained to a single seller, specially if the seller could dissapear in a few months because doesn't have funds to produce their boards in thousands)
-Available coders (it's easier to find x86 coders than ppc ones)
-Being able to use full FPGA without the board stopping booting
-Full hardware information available
-A good technical service that goes to your location to exchange/repair your boards if something breaks.
-Good SDK.

Crumb 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 11:05:20
#68 ]
Elite Member

@feanor

perhaps you should contact Hyperion and the MorphOS Team to see if they would be willing to port their OSes to G5 hardware.

bPlan probably still has the tetra-G5 design they were doing for Genesi. They planed to sell it for 999$ so perhaps you could also attract Linux customers who buy stuff from Terrasoft (probably not too many). A dual 970MP machine (4 G5 cores) would probably be attractive to users and at least offers more or less the same performance as last Apple G5 produced.

@eXec.pl

AmigaOS4 boots on Mac Mini G4, if Hyperion doesn't make an official release then you should complain to them and Amiga Inc. In the meanwhile enjoy their dongle hardware with no L2 cache. The situation is quite funny now, with everyone involved on OS4 fighting between them (Amiga Inc screwed Eyetech, Amiga Inc is fighting with Hyperion and some OS4 coders are suing Hyperion because they aren't being paid)

eXec.pl 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 11:17:54
#69 ]

@Crumb

There is no Amiga Operating System for Mac Mini in stock and won't be. Mac Mini is not good choice for Amiga platform users. It's good only for MorphOS platform users.

itix 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 11:36:25
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:

Quote:

I suppose with a newer, but compatible motherboard, such as a flex one.

with the low number of boards produced no industrial customer would trust in them.

It doesnt matter how many boards are produced but if boards/replacement parts are available next 5 or 10 years. They are ready to pay more if youguarantee continuity.

Quote:

-Available coders (it's easier to find x86 coders than ppc ones)

Doesnt matter really. Coding for embedded is different from desktop coding. It is mostly done in C (sometimes C++ or asm is used), you have to deal with limited resources, crashes are fatal (to you and to your customers) etc. The cpu architecture does not matter and embedded developers are used to exotic configurations.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 12:33:21
#71 ]
Cult Member

@Crumb

Quote:

-Full hardware information available
-A good technical service that goes to your location to exchange/repair your boards if something breaks.

These are all things we don't know and we can only speculate about them. You don't know sales figures (neither do i) and we don't have any oem/developer deal with Acube so we don't know if in that case they can supply tech docs and support.
On the other hand, IIRC, when Sam was first announced they stated that FPGA/Zigbee/SSD were added due to customers' request, so this should mean that they must have at least one customer. Also, last year i was at a computer fair (not Amiga related) where i had a brief talk with one of Acube's staff who said that they had a good customer base. Of course he didn't shell any details on the exact figures but i tend to believe it because otherwise with only the Amiga market they won't have enough income to stay alive 4 years and do some R&D (unless they're rich of course )

mausle 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 13:13:14
#72 ]

@feanor

Quote:

feanor wrote:
@Fransexy

Sure it's going to be a dual dual-core, not something to be frowned upon, but, it will be MUCH harder to port every OS mentioned to that one -being 64-bit.

Isn't it possible to run them in 32-bit mode? Linux on a PS3, which does not have exactly the
same CPU, can do this.

ciao

Hammer 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 13:29:23
#73 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Crumb

Quote:

Crumb wrote:
IMHO a 1/1.3Ghz board is not interesting for the market: we'll have 1.5Ghz Mac Mini in less than 3 months.

BTW, Altivec is a must if we want the machine to play 1920x1080 H264 videos.

My 1.5 GHz Turion 64 isn't enough for 1920x1080 H264. Either the graphics card has to do the decoding, or you need a multi-core machine.

Hans

AMD K8 Turions and K8 Athlons doesn't have SSE128 (SSE128 FADD , SSE128 FMUL).
Only AMD Turion II/Athlon II/Phenom I/II and Intel Core 2/i3/i5/i7 has SSE128.

Hammer 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 13:31:09
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@Hans

What your Turion does is rather irrelevant. A 8610 board (NEC redtail) has been demoed to replay full hd video content.
There was also the hd demo on the mac Mini running MorphOS, but this test was a bit cheaty (the hd video was decoded in real time, but it was downscaled to the actual video resolution tat was less than the full hd resolution (it was rojected on a generic beamer...)).

Does it include ACSS?

Varthall 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 14:47:53
#75 ]

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@Hans

Does it include ACSS?

No, it seems that the video was taken from a camera:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27346&forum=28#463064

Varthall

vision 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 15:43:47
#76 ]

@feanor

I think the best option is the MPC8640D. Why not spend 150 euros more if it will be a longer term system?

@ the coward who reported me unfairly

The people reporting with nosense are the real ones who abuse the website. If you have any problem with some of my posts, you could contact me, but I don´t think you are brave enough for that.

Leo 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 15:49:02
#77 ]

Quote:

There is no Amiga Operating System for Mac Mini in stock and won't be.

Of course there is one: MorphOS.

eXec.pl 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 15:54:17
#78 ]

@Leo

Amiga Operating System = AmigaOS.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 16:03:54
#79 ]

@eXec.pl

Don't bother with Leo. He's a troll who loves to tease other people only.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 25-Sep-2009 16:33:55
#80 ]
Team Member

@vision

Quote:

vision wrote:
@ the coward who reported me unfairly

The people reporting with nosense are the real ones who abuse the website. If you have any problem with some of my posts, you could contact me, but I don´t think you are brave enough for that.

You were asked very nicely to just keep your tone in mind by a system admin. A mod (me) even publicly said maybe Zardoz (another mod) could have been a little nicer in one post before the one you got snippy in. This should have been water under the bridge at this point.

NO ONE IS A COWARD for using the abuse report button. The site has rules. If someone honestly thinks those rules are broken they have the right to use the button. Would it perhaps be nicer if someone PM'd you? MAYBE. Sometimes the person reporting something is not involved and does not want to be, but wants to let staff know there may be a rule being broken making the experience worse for all visitors.

You have had no repercussion so far from any report made. Honestly you have nothing to gripe about. And you will not be allowed to continue to try to call someone out here as a coward (or any other derogatory term). So just drop it, live and let live. If you want to discuss this further take it to PM with any mod of your choosing. There will be no further public discussion on this.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 25-Sep-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Amiga 1200

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle