Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 70 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  54 secs ago
 K-L:  11 mins ago
 Karlos:  15 mins ago
 Kronos:  20 mins ago
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 RobertB:  47 mins ago
 blmara:  47 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  49 mins ago
 nikosidis:  58 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  New Amiga compatible joypads
Register To Post

PosterThread
Jupp3 
New Amiga compatible joypads
Posted on 13-Dec-2009 17:10:46
#1 ]

Hi,

A while ago I happened to stumble upon new Sega Megadrive joypads from Dealextreme, and a while ago, I finally got the package. Actually they are made for "Megadrive emulator inside joypad" (to use as second controller), but apparently the connector and pinout is the same as in the original controller. Which, of course, also means it works on Amiga straight away.

NOTE: If you are going to use these on Amiga (or any other non-smd system with similar connector), it's probably a good idea to remove the single muxer chip, and do some rewiring. I heard somewhere, that certain button combinations might end up putting 5V on wrong (on Amiga) pin or something... Also, it's not easy to convert these to fully functional CD32 pads, so don't ask me "how?" you should be able to get 2-3 buttons working easily though.

The controllers are quite a bit smaller than I had expected, but at $4.55 you might not be able to buy D9 connector and cable (and would have to solder it, and it would look worse) so could be useful to repair joysticks with broken cables aswell. The directional pad is higher-than-usual (you actually have to move it to direction, rather than just press), and it's not possible to press f.ex. left and right simultaneously (diagonals work, of course). Especially the 3 lower buttons feel better than I had expected. All 9 cables are connected to the circuit board, so should be convertible to 2-button MSX pad aswell (one friend of mine pointed out that the "2nd button on MSX" pin isn't always connected).

Then some pictures:

The pads look like this.
Size comparison with Tac-2 and Competition Pro.
Closeup on what's inside.

Haven't had time to do any proper experimenting yet, does anyone have any documentation on adding autofire? Would be nice to add it to those extra buttons...

Profile     Report this post  
RoqueFort 
Re: New Amiga compatible joypads
Posted on 13-Dec-2009 17:16:09
#2 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
I heard somewhere, that certain button combinations might end up putting 5V on wrong (on Amiga) pin or something...

Eek... incorrect voltage. That sounds chillingly familiar.

Sex doesn't prove to me that sex doesn't suck.

Profile     Report this post  

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle