Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 166 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  13 secs ago
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  24 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Samsung Syncmaster P2350 blanking like crazy on os 4.1 upd 1
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hotrod 
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 blanking like crazy on os 4.1 upd 1
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 23:10:32
#1 ]
Elite Member

I got this new TFT for christmas and noticed the blanking issues right away with amigaos 4.1 so tried to find some info about it and got most of it to stop by addint +rb to the monitor file in sys:devs/monitors/ ... now with update one it seems to be blanking no matter what I do... I've tried the automatic feature in prefs/screenmode and I've also edited the monitor file with min/maxhsync min/maxvsync and every mode as well even though I just use 1920x1080 wich is the native resolution. The mode is listed in prefs/screenmode under the monitors tab as 1920x1080@60+RB. mininum and maximum vsync are set to 50 and 85 while minimum and maximum hsync are set to 29000 and 80000.

So now I have no idea what to do to stop it from going blank when I use windows, requesters open etc... launching the screenblanker prefs program and watching the boingball made the monitor go blank all the time making it allmost imposstible to quit...

Help please! It's hard to enjoy update 1 when it blanks all the time and I really want to try it out instead of using windows 7 all the time wich doesn't blank but is boring :-p

Profile     Report this post  
rigo 
Re: Samsung Syncmaster P2350 blanking like crazy on os 4.1 upd 1
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 23:28:24
#2 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

Would this be on a mini-itx Sam via DVI by chance?

If so, you may have better success connecting it via VGA.

Simon

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

hotrod 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 23:29:14
#3 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

This is on an A1 G4 XE with a Radeon 9250... however I am using DVI. It was blanking with 4.1 as well but not as bad as it's now.

Last edited by hotrod on 14-Jan-2010 at 11:31 PM.

rigo 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 23:37:59
#4 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

It seems as though the timing is very close to tolerance.

I would suggest removing any defined modes in the monitor settings and so that only the 60Hz DDC mode is active.

Simon

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

hotrod 
Posted on 14-Jan-2010 23:48:15
#5 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

That was the first thing I tried... I've changed the settings to "Detect settings automatically" and "monitors preferred mode" (tried Show only 60Hz modes also) but it didn't improve anything... moving windows etc still makes it blank. The active options in the monitor file are now

CMPLENGTH=11
BOARDNAME=Radeon 9250
DDCMODE=Preferred

Last edited by hotrod on 14-Jan-2010 at 11:48 PM.

hotrod 
Posted on 15-Jan-2010 0:03:06
#6 ]
Elite Member

@rigo

This actually makes it slightly worse, it blanks right away... if I configure the modes manually it shows some stripes when I move windows before it blanks... not very usefull either way though... oh no... nothing much to do but wait for another update?

ikir 
Posted on 15-Jan-2010 0:31:49
#7 ]
Elite Member

How to use DDC only?

Thanks

@hotrod

Maybe you must find manually the best configuration. Usually online you can find specs for your monitor settings (vsync, hmax....). DDC should tell all these things to OS4 automatically... but you can set it manually too.

Last edited by ikir on 15-Jan-2010 at 12:39 AM.

hotrod 
Posted on 15-Jan-2010 0:47:13
#8 ]
Elite Member

@ikir

I've tried both and none of them works. If I change the settings manually according to the manual it works sligtly better but not much. This really destroys the fun it would be otherwise . Love the new icons though, the new tunenet are amazing, owb is smooth, dvplayer looks very nice (hope for this version for the registered users) etc... I would just love playing with it if it wasn't for this issue . Using DOpus 4 is allmost impossible, if I copy some files it goes blank till it's finnished...

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 16-Jan-2010 16:54:08
#9 ]

@hotrod

I have a SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER T200HD and I feel I am in deep #### here.

After installation went through and boot at wb I opened OWB. I dragged the window to another place and the screen went blank (I was using the default resolution of 1680x1050@16bit). Then, I opened IB and did the same. I changed the resolution to to 1680x1050@32bit and although for 20 minutes everything was working OK, now the monitor goes black when: I resize a drawer (any), I drag a drawer or window, I even leave it in idle and goes again blank. Note that sometimes, the screen goes blank but then it resumes normally, I resize a drawer and goes blank again. The blank period varies from 5 sec to ... forever (monitor does not resumes). I rebooted several times (hard/cold) and the problem is not resolved. Screen goes blank so fast that I cannot find the preferences to change resolution...

My system is SamEp440 667Mb Ram, 512 on board Ram + M9 using the DVI (I cannot connect my Sam using the VGA because I have corrupted graphics and btw I had an older Samsung Syncmaster of 2007 and I had the corrupted graphics again when used VGA that's why I was forced to upgrade on this monitor in which previous AOS version worked ok).

Any solution?

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 16-Jan-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Deschain 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 12:06:20
#10 ]

I have the same Problem! please can anybody help me to find a solution for the Problem?

I use a SAM733 Flex with Radeon 9250 128MB and Samsung Syncmaster 2494 a 24" TFT Monutor with DVI.

If i turn off accelerating the desktop the blanking goes away.

If i try DDC, the screen blanking is incredible.

If i try the option "+RB" in the tooltype, the blanking doesnt go away.

The VSYNC and HSYNC are ok, i have the same config like in OS 4.1 beta. There i didnt have any blanking after i set "+RB". There i also only had blankin with the 1920x1080 resolution. If i tried a smaller one, there were no blanking

With OS 4.1.1 i habe alway blankin on any resolution with and without "+RB"

Maybe the gfx driver has a bug?!?! Is it possible to change to the old gfx driver?

PS: sorry for my bad english

Last edited by Deschain on 17-Jan-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 12:17:35
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Deschain

Had the same problem. My Monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs.
Connected My Radeon card from the DVI connector using a DVI-VGA adaptor into the VGA
input of the Monitor. This works perfectly with the autodetect settings of OS4.1 update 1
and I get a 1600x1200 display .

Deschain 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 12:22:54
#12 ]

@Spectre660

the VGA Ouput is not an option. The DVI worked with the beta version of the OS perfectly.

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 12:51:05
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Deschain

Quote:

Deschain wrote:
@Spectre660

The DVI worked with the beta version of the OS perfectly.

Same with my setup. Spent hours trying to get the DVI working and finally gave up .

Last edited by Spectre660 on 17-Jan-2010 at 12:52 PM.

stedy 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 14:28:22
#14 ]

@hotrod

If you are truly using the Digital DVI link at 1920x1080 pixels @ 60 Hz, you are exceeding the limits of a singe link DVI channel. The maximum resolution of a DVI link with standard timings is 1600x1200 pixels @ 60 Hz.

Is your connection digital or analogue?

The standard DVI connector supports either single or dual DVI links and the analogue video on the C1-C4 connection + pin 8 for sync. Those DVI to VGA adaptors are a purely passive device that connect the analogue video signals from the DVI connector to the correct pins on the 15 way high density VGA connector and set the ID pins to the correct state.

DVI has a maximum pixel clock of 165 MHz, a 1920x1080 display @ 60 Hz with standard timing requires a pixel clock of 173 MHz. You can use a reduced blanking option (+rb tooltype) to reduce the bandwidth but you need to specify the correct sync settings.

The VEAS Co-ordinated Video Timing (CVT) spreadsheet is availabe, for free from VESA.org, to save you time and hassle of reading the MS Excel spreadsheet, I have put the resultant spreadsheet, in HTML format here:

VESA CVT timing 1920x1080 reduced blanking sorry for the large file size, MS Excel is not efficient.

Firstly an important not on sync polarity, using conventional , non-reduced timings, the HSYNC signal will be negative and the Vsync signal will be positive.

When using reduced blanking as you are tyring here, the polarities invert so that, HSYNC is positive and VSYNC is negative.

Is it possible to speciffy the sync polarities in the monitor driver?

So what information do you need from the above webpage?

When setting a custom resolution, you need to specify the total line length, active and inactive pixels.

So for your resoltion, the total number of pixels per line is 2080, of which 1920 are active. This leaves 160 pixels for the horizontal blanking period.

The horizontal sync pulse is 32 pixels, the front porch is 48 pixels and the back porch is 80 pixels, add these three numbers together and you get 160 pixels. Generally I find that you only need to specify the sync pulse width as a number of pixels, the frant/back porch values can be left alone.

Next up is the vertical timing, here you have a total of 1,111 lines of which 1080 are active. In the vertical blanking period of 31 lines, you need a vertical sync of 5 lines. The front porch is 3 lines and the back porch is 23 lines.

@thread

What level of parameters can you pass to the monitor driver?

I don't have an Amiga OS4 computer here so I can not experiment but if someone can point me to the relevant information, I can work out what setting you need.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I should share some information on interfacing monitors to displays.

My day job for the last year has been developing an embedded graphics card, using a device from one of the biggest GPU vendors and interfacing it to a variety of VGA, DVI and LVDS panels. So playing with timing parameters and seeing the effects of incorrect settings is something I am familiar with.

Bye,

Ian

MickJT 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 14:31:00
#15 ]
Cult Member

Hopefully none of these problems are anything to do with the INTERRUPTS instead of INTERRUPT bug?

Deschain 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 14:37:00
#16 ]

@stedy

I just can say, that OS 4.1 beta doesnt have Problem with the same settings instead of OS 4.1.1

We already tried every possible settings, without success.

With DISABLED 3D accelearted Desktop, there i can use OS 4.1.1 WITHOUT blanking. But if i try to switch the eyecandy 3D settings in PREFS/GUI the blanking will be to much and OS 4.1.1 is unusable. I also tried in PRES/GUI every possible settings WITHOUT success.

Deschain 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 14:41:00
#17 ]

@MickJT

i also tried the interrrupt settings manually. Same result...

rigo 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 15:56:46
#18 ]
Cult Member

@stedy

Thanks for the very indepth explanation, hopefully it will be useful to those having problems.

This is one of the reasons that Picasso96Mode was included on the CD, as some testers found the need to use it to "fine tune" their monitor settings. The information obtained from the DDC query proved to be perfect in 99% of cases, but there was still the odd monitor that required a little extra tweaking to get right.

@thread

If you use "DumpDebugBuffer" (or check your serial output) from a reset, you should see what the DDC query has discovered from the monitor. It would be interesting to compare those discovered values against the real-world info required to get the monitor running correctly. In most of our problematic test cases the it turned out the monitor did not report it's capabilities 100% correctly, which made manual settings a requirement.

Deschain 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 16:19:24
#19 ]

@rigo

Sorry, i dont understand what yo mean. :(

What should we do? How can we finetune the monitordriver?
The same setting works fine on the Beta OS 4.1 an now there are a quiet lot of user which have the same troubles like me, and nobody of us had find any solution.

whose 
Posted on 17-Jan-2010 17:15:11
#20 ]
Cult Member

@Deschain

As Rigo told: Use the "dumpdebugbuffer" command to get some debug output, which contains, besides other data, data the DDC feature receives from your monitor. With this data, the OS4 team can make compares to the sync timing standards and chances are good that your monitor reports capabilities it doesnt really support.

The sync data calculation of OS4 has changed, as far as I see, because I get a much more sharp and colourful picture now. Before, the sync was always slightly off VESA signal definitions, so even on my TFT I got no real good picture. I switched over to a 21" CRT, but even there the picture was always a little bit blurry.

Now it is really crisp here, even with 1600 x 1200, although I cannot really use this resolution because of lack of video memory of my onboard Radeon

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle