Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  10 mins ago
 pixie:  22 mins ago
 Daff:  39 mins ago
 VooDoo:  47 mins ago
 Maijestro:  51 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 roar:  2 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Aros HDAudio driver open sourcing offer £750
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Daniel 
Re: Aros HDAudio driver open sourcing offer £750
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 9:18:49
#41 ]

@mihcael

Like the avatar .

Profile     Report this post  
Daniel 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 9:34:54
#42 ]

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:
I have let made a code audit of AROS....
I will bring a commercial distribution...

Sounds interesting, what advantages would AROS commercial have over the free version? Could be tricky to stop commercial parts getting out on file sharing sites.

Quote:
If they wan't it..... pay or support AROS.... that is all.

Fair enough, but is it possible to force this legally if the software is open source? Presumably no one person or organisation owns AROS and has the legal right to license it out to companies?

Last edited by Daniel on 22-Oct-2010 at 09:35 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 9:50:44
#43 ]

@Daniel
No problemo....
APL stuff is free to sell, GPL is free to sell....

the small parts which aren't commercialy useable have to be replaced... that's all.
The big/small difference is just that it includes other commercial stuff.
Broadway will be free and just exclude the commercial stuff.

Sure it will be tricky... the question is how far should i go to make it safe. If there is no trust possible in the remaining community it is just sad.

AMC will have a well working security system. AEROS(working title) will have one too. Maybe in the end i bound it just to the app-browser.... than everyone get his "own" copy. Not sure if it is intelligent to give someone else the possibiblity to buy in his name ; )

We will see... how far it goes depends on the Authors of the included Apllications.

Manu 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 9:56:44
#44 ]

@phoenixkonsole

I thought CUSA already said they weren't interested in AROS. So their machines will be shipped with Ubuntu I guess.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 10:26:40
#45 ]

@Manu
sure... but as soon the AROS impact comes sooner than expected, i assume that they would take the pill without doing any support.

AROS is not only faster developed than other Amiga OS no it is also on a good track to come on par to Linux + get even more commercial products than Linux has... (at least for the normal consumer)

BTW...
All commercial stuff will be also available through the app-browser.... so you can have them for IcAROS too, AmigOS 4.x and MorphOS included.

EDIT2:
I really hope to convince all evolved "Amiga" tams to accept at some point my concept for the ARES2 .... which can be called "theoretically" if A-EON/Hyperion accept it "AmigaOne x86" .... at this point we can think about using AROS as base for a AmigaOS transition/replacement to x86 in the far future..... First comes the X1000 and with some luck it will sell well and will be cheaper at some point too.

I will support now AmigaOS with at least 20% of my energy ; )

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 22-Oct-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 22-Oct-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 10:45:03
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

Quote:

Templario wrote:
@clusteruk

One friendly questions, have you though ask money to Commodore USA for AROS project?
this strange question is very easy to explain, if you put money from your pocket to developt the AROS system drivers, (I think that is is good for all), I think that if Commodore USA only get the benefit of a good OS with good drivers that you or the community have paid, well, I think that if Commodore use AROS for his system, well, I think that it is theft or as little they tease us.

In regards to theft, what does the license say?

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 10:48:04
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Quote:

Manu wrote:
@phoenixkonsole

I thought CUSA already said they weren't interested in AROS. So their machines will be shipped with Ubuntu I guess.

CUSA is targeting mainstream users.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 10:53:54
#48 ]

@Hammer
Me too, with a AROS based, Sat-TV/Cabale-TV/ITV/MediaCenter/Retro and Mordern-Gamingsystem which fits perfectly in your living room, including an appstore...

kadenaa 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:04:47
#49 ]

@phoenixkonsole

I hate to say that I strongly suspected that CUSA were just going to cause friction in the community. I was hoping to be wrong but it seems that sadly I wasn't.
I have tried AROS and am planning to get an OS4 machine so I am looking forward to using your software. Hopefully I'll get a laptop next year and triple boot with AROS :).

Kad.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:21:34
#50 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:

@Hammer
Me too, with a AROS based, Sat-TV/Cabale-TV/ITV/MediaCenter/Retro and Mordern-Gamingsystem which fits perfectly in your living room, including an appstore...

Modern Gaming system? AROS doesn't support SMP. What about DRM?

The battle is akin to MacOS X (Unix based) future vs MacOS 9 future. The problem here is there's no Steve Jobs and unbroken Apple Computer Inc.

Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:24 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 12:35:32
#51 ]

@Hammer
DRM is solved(in a unique way). SMP... is not needed in this case because the GPU takes the load.... Performance is enough to emulate a Wii with HD-resolutions, or a PS2.... just a note.
It will not be more performant than a XBOX360 or PS3(if a game utilizes all cores of them, if not it is on par) but this is not needed since the server can also stream Video/Audio, so you will buy one system for the rest of you life. For Full-HD content you will need atleast a 16Mbit broadband connection. Minimum is 4Mbit(Pal/NTSC).

The concept is open so homebrew devolpement is more than welcome.
That's the target group http://www.dcemu.co.uk/

It will share the same app-store like AROS/AmigOS/MorphOS.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 22-Oct-2010 at 01:00 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 13:55:23
#52 ]

@all

http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/57

The bounty has just reached $1000! Still 300 to go. Anyone willing to help?

Leo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 15:28:18
#53 ]

Quote:

You mean there are big, serious projects developed outside of Amiga community with no money involved in the process? Even parts of the Linux kernel were developed by/for companies that needed them for their business. Projects like Mozilla or OpenOffice wouldn't exist in their current shape without $$$ involved either. Can't see what's wrong about that.

I said and mean: you don't need money to open your sources. Outside the Amiga, money is raised to found the development, not to release the sources... It's like Webkit said "ok, we're ready to release webkit's code but only if you pay $300 000".

I see nothing wrong with companies founding open source development. In open source there is the word "open"... If you ask for money to release the source I don't see how "open" it is.

paolone 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 15:48:58
#54 ]

@Leo

It's quite simple: dim(ClusterUK) ≠ dim(Sun Microsystems)

If you run a BIG company you may wish to drive the market where you prefer, and in order to do so you can spend money to fund development of your products (for instance, you are VMware and you pay your coders to program the new version of VMware Workstation), OR you can fund the development of another product that will hit the sales of the competition, and release it for free (for instance, you were SUN Microsystems and you wanted to hit Microsoft sales: then you bought the small company "Star Division" which produced that nice Office competitor called StarOffice, release its code under another name with a different license, and wait that the resulting product will do its duty on the market).

Since there's no motivation for big companies to fund AROS development, there won't be any project funding option like the one you said, so paying for opening closed source software makes sense. It's not equally nice and I can agree with you, but it can be done.

clusteruk 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 15:59:31
#55 ]

Removed

Last edited by clusteruk on 27-Oct-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 27-Oct-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 16:24:42
#56 ]

@paolone: you don't need to have Sun Microsystems to fund your driver development... The proof: this driver has been developed without that. What I'm wondering is why would you then need money to release it once it's done.

Either you're kind of opened and just release the sources.
Either you aren't opened, and just keep the sources closed.

You could also want to have a founded development. And since you are right, there is no Sun behind the Amiga, the solution is to use a bounty.

I'm fine with all these solutions...

But I don't get the "source bounty". Sounds like a solution to get money when people are not ready to give money for all other solutions...

Amiga/AROS is supposed to be all about fun today. That's what all people say. And in the end it's all about money... I find it sad. Other hobby OS projects don't seem to focus that much on money... You won't see people asking for money to release the source code to some Haiku driver for example.

clusteruk 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 16:30:42
#57 ]

@Leo

I paid for it for iMica project originally, I kept it closed to stop competitors outside of myself and Pascal from using it without contributing to Aros. I still gave the executables away for free.

But as i have spent a lot which I could not really afford and I have a new project that is again for Aros which I would struggle to pay for, I decided to offer HDAudio to the community to kill two birds with one stone.

Community gets my drivers source code to improve as Davy's time is limited now and the funds raised improve Aros.

Remember this was a Proffessionaly written system for a reasonable fee, not done as a hobby. Davy is a pro coder and needed paying.

Why do you keep reading more into it.

Oh and did you complain about Poseiden being open sourced for $4000

Last edited by clusteruk on 27-Oct-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 27-Oct-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 27-Oct-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 19:19:46
#58 ]

@clusteruk: that's what I don't get... These "competitors" thing. Almost everyone left the Amiga (I mean generally), and yet people still think about "competitors".

Poseidon is quite a different thing since the bounty involved the AROS porting as well as the source release. What I don't get is why the release doesn't include the MorphOS/68k release. But again, it's all about "competitors",...

If there were lots of companies involved, a true market, millions of users, and so on... I could understand. But in the current Amiga/AROS market, I don't.

Hammer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 21:29:55
#59 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
@Hammer
DRM is solved(in a unique way). SMP... is not needed in this case because the GPU takes the load.... Performance is enough to emulate a Wii with HD-resolutions, or a PS2.... just a note.
It will not be more performant than a XBOX360 or PS3(if a game utilizes all cores of them, if not it is on par) but this is not needed since the server can also stream Video/Audio, so you will buy one system for the rest of you life. For Full-HD content you will need atleast a 16Mbit broadband connection. Minimum is 4Mbit(Pal/NTSC).

The concept is open so homebrew devolpement is more than welcome.
That's the target group http://www.dcemu.co.uk/

It will share the same app-store like AROS/AmigOS/MorphOS.

Using PS2X emulator with a single core 2.53Ghz (C2D P8700) may not be enough to play Tales of Abyss at full frame rates. PS2X emulator supports dual-cores.

Dolphin Wii emulator also supports dual-core CPUs.

Last edited by Hammer on 28-Oct-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 28-Oct-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 27-Oct-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 21:53:03
# ]

@Leo

The competitors could include a Commodore US or another new entity looking to sell hardware. Anyone could produce an AROS machine, include the HDAudio driver which Stephen paid for, without paying. In that case, he'll lose sales to them, recover even less costs than expected. They'll have made those sales on the work he funded. Do you think that would be fair?

As he's one of the few people looking to do anything commercial in this community, what are you trying to achieve by picking up on these points? You mentioned Haiku - their wi-fi driver is funded by bounties and they raise money to pay people to work full-time on the OS. But nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head over Haiku or AROS bounties. I just don't see the problem.

Chris

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle