Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  5 mins ago
 Rob:  40 mins ago
 pavlor:  51 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  DOpus Magellan ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmigaPhil 
DOpus Magellan ?
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 19:15:30
#1 ]
Cult Member

One thing I'll miss the most under OS4.x is Directory Opus Magellan II.
I'm very used to its listers to manipulate files as a list.
Recently, I tried E-UAE (because I lost my A4000/OS3.5) and was a bit puzzled and bored by the windows/icons way to find files.

Guru Meditation was supposed to port Magellan to OS4. Any news ?

Can the 68k version of Magellan be used under OS 4 ?

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Re: DOpus Magellan ?
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 19:22:37
#2 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaPhil

Last info was 2006 but Guru Meditation seems gone ...

Directory Opus Magellan $0.00
http://gurumeditation.se/product_info.php?products_id=260&language=en

Merely product information, it is not possible to buy this yet.

Directory Opus Magellan was bought late 2004. After a long a long time of porting this product to the latest Amiga OS, we are now closing in on the release. However, at this point in time, it is not possible to buy this product for OS 4 (and not for OS 3.x either). This is something that we are working hard to remedy.

As with all software development, you run into hurdles, hurdles that varies in difficulty to overcome. We have now passed the greatest hurdles and are on our way to a complete product.

Once we are there, the product will most likely be sold for these platforms:

AmigaOS 3.x 68k
AmigaOS 4.x PPC
You will have the option of buying a download only, or a printed CD with manual. Needless to say, the download option will be cheaper.

Current Reviews: 1

This product was added to our catalog on Saturday 18 March, 2006.

number6 
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 19:24:57
#3 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaPhil

Quote:

No news. You can try "filer" on OS4depot though.

Quote:

You can run the quasi version of V5.11 (magazine issue freebie), but I've not seen success from the full versions.
The greater problem after that is the hard-coded limit on filename length, which can not be overcome, or so I have been told.

BillE 
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 19:36:52
#4 ]

@AmigaPhil

I used to think that, but most of the useful features in Magellan are now part of Amiga OS anyway. And the OS4 native version of DOpus 4 does the biz for the file listing and copying functions.

AmigaPhil 
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 19:49:38
#5 ]
Cult Member

@number6
Quote:
You can try "filer" on OS4depot though.

Looking at the readme, it sounds indeed good. Thanks.

@BillE
Quote:
I used to think that, but most of the useful features in Magellan are now part of Amiga OS anyway. And the OS4 native version of DOpus 4 does the biz for the file listing and copying functions.

Ok.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 20:21:14
#6 ]

Do there exist a full list of all Directory Opus Magellan II features anywhere in Internet I good check ? Screengrabs, videos anything ?

opi 
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 20:31:47
#7 ]
Team Member

@Tomppeli

Explaining DOpus5 would take few hours. It was a powerful file manager. You can checkout this tiny feature overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_Opus#Features

http://www.google.com/images?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=directory+opus+5+amiga&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=518

Last edited by opi on 30-Jan-2011 at 08:32 PM.

vox 
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 20:40:34
#8 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaPhil

Last OS4 native version is 4.18.22 26 Feb 2009
http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/filetool/directoryopus.lha

Using UAE you could run any of them.

Running joke would be that easiest way to get Dopus Magelan
is to download Amikit
http://amikit.amiga.sk/features.htm
Directory Opus Magellan II v5.82 (the full version, just with delayed startup if unregistered)
used as a Workbench replacement!!! This software has never been freely released to the public before. If you do not know anything about this excellent piece of software, you should check it out NOW! You're going to love it. Here are few words from Andreas Loong, who has kindly given permission to use DOpus Magellan II in the AmiKit project: „Just like the real Magellan, our Directory Opus Magellan has travelled a long way since we acquired it in 2004. We are now wrapping up the last bits and polishing the code base, and since many of the AmiKit users has emailed us with questions and interest in a 68k version, we encourage you to check out our site now and then, as we will have some news for you! Thank you very much for showing interest! Andreas Loong, GuruMeditation

It would be good if someone really knows people from Guru Meditation.
At least handling porting to someone else, and having the royalties and revenues
would be nice. When GP Software is not intrested in porting in. Even we might try purchasing them one MOS machine and one SAM and send it to them with last Dopus copies and hope they will have mercy. We would pay for the port in the end, as a product on sale.

AmigaPhil 
Posted on 30-Jan-2011 21:51:48
#9 ]
Cult Member

@vox

Quote:
... download Amikit

Hey, that's a good idea (in the meantime I can get my hand on new Amiga hardware).

dauber 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 0:08:39
#10 ]

When I was an OS4 user, losing DOpus Magellan was the only thing i missed about the "classic" Amiga OS. Trust me, it was an amazing program. Extremely customizable. You could practically design your own OS GUI with it and have things behave exactly as you want.

Been nearly 5 years since I left the Amiga world and I still have a habit of double-clicking on the desktop in hopes to get a DOpus lister!

BCP 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 1:36:59
#11 ]

@dauber

If your using Windows, then there is always the Windows version of Directoy Opus. I'm using the older version 6 of Directory Opus on WindowsXP. Its vastly superior to Windows Explorer, & has much of what made the Amiga versions so special.

Last edited by BCP on 31-Jan-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

jPV 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 9:55:04
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Tomppeli

You can check the original Magellan 2 page, but explaining and understanding all the power inside the program would take few days to explain ;). Anyway, I think it's the best software for Amiga ever and I've also made some quick and dirty page for it.. which might give you some more information :)

Quote:

number6 wrote:
You can run the quasi version of V5.11 (magazine issue freebie), but I've not seen success from the full versions.
The greater problem after that is the hard-coded limit on filename length, which can not be overcome, or so I have been told.

Hmm... was that pre Magellan limit? As Magellan2 doesn't have such a limit, you can define max filename length on its settings. In any case, it was bit too unfinished before Magellan2 and I would recommend everyone to use the latest 5.82 version.

Although Ambient has cloned the most important things of the Magellan2, I'm still so used to use the actual thing, that I still do most of the work with Magellan2 on MorphOS. For example dopus startmenus are still unreplaceable, here is a video of them in use ;) And working Magellan2 (or better option, heh) was my primary requirement when moving to any next gen Amiga system... luckily it was achievable on MorphOS...

Last edited by jPV on 31-Jan-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Last edited by jPV on 31-Jan-2011 at 10:09 AM.

sananaman 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 10:41:11
#13 ]

@AmigaPhil

You can give "Filer" a try. It works with listers like Dopus Mag II. Just double click on your desktop and a lister appears.
You can find it on OS4Depot.

Last edited by sananaman on 31-Jan-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 10:53:06
#14 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaPhil

Quote:

AmigaPhil wrote:
One thing I'll miss the most under OS4.x is Directory Opus Magellan II.
I'm very used to its listers to manipulate files as a list.
Recently, I tried E-UAE (because I lost my A4000/OS3.5) and was a bit puzzled and bored by the windows/icons way to find files.

The 68k version doesn't run because it uses too many hacks and access the custom chips apparently.

The way Guru Meditation treated Directory Opus Magellan II is a ####ing joke and I hate them for it!! What a waste of such an excellent product! I mean, WTF!??! What's wrong with them! Just delegate the job if it's too heavy, sell it, open-source it! Just DO SOMETHING, PLEASE!!!!

Yes I'm grateful we have DOpus4 and Filer but none of them come close to Magellan.

BillE 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 11:04:37
#15 ]

@dauber

Quote:
and I still have a habit of double-clicking on the desktop in hopes to get a DOpus lister!#

That is the one feature I do really miss - which sadly isn't implimented in OS4 - yet.

[Edit] It looks as if Filer may have that feature. Not sure if it will be included in OS4 or will be third party - but then Magellan was third party.

Last edited by BillE on 31-Jan-2011 at 11:06 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 11:16:37
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

The 68k version doesn't run because it uses too many hacks and access the custom chips apparently.

Hmm.. I wonder what's the real reason afterall.. Magellan was always said to be coded cleanly with system functions in the old times. And it runs pretty well under MorphOS, except of couple small things, which can be avoided.

Deniil715 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 13:07:42
#17 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Quote:
Hmm.. I wonder what's the real reason afterall.. Magellan was always said to be coded cleanly with system functions in the old times. And it runs pretty well under MorphOS, except of couple small things, which can be avoided.

I have also wondered because it doesn't strike me as a hacky program. But it surely doesn't run. It can be started but listing anything, especially volumes/assigns cause heavy DSIs. Ignoring the 100s of DSIs eventually just causes total system instability and crash.

Also, if it really was that clean it surely would have been a breeze porting it. Just add __USE_INLINE__ and fix the hooks and be done. But apparently not.

My guess is that it accesses a lot of undocumented internal structures that doesn't exist anymore on OS4. And the picture and audio viewer/player uses custom chips directly. That's my guess. "Clean" in Classic Amiga area doesn't necessarily mean RTG.

jPV 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 17:05:54
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

And the picture and audio viewer/player uses custom chips directly. That's my guess. "Clean" in Classic Amiga area doesn't necessarily mean RTG.

That shouldn't be any problem, because you don't have to use any internal viewers if you don't want to. Everything can be configured to external. I already had RTG and AHI on my real A1200 when Magellan2 was released and haven't actually ever used it on AGA on my main systems. And it actually has even some RTG support options too, like RTG mode for icons...

EDIT: ha! Just tried the internal Show command (picture viewer) on MorphOS (on Mac mini) and it worked! Wouldn't have believed myself either :P It doesn't hit or do anything nasty, but seems to show in 8bit only and that's why I've used other viewers on RTG (cyberwindow, cybershow, showgirls, ambient's internal viewer etc configured during the years).

I'd think it's just some little thing why it doesn't work on OS4...

Last edited by jPV on 31-Jan-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Last edited by jPV on 31-Jan-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Last edited by jPV on 31-Jan-2011 at 05:13 PM.

number6 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 17:19:01
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:
I have also wondered because it doesn't strike me as a hacky program. But it surely doesn't run.

I'm sure you're aware of this thread, since you participated in it.
But for those not around in 2005, it may be informative.

dopus magellan - os4 - any news?

jPV 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 17:39:38
#20 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Ouch... if they've kept it "almost done" this long.. ouch.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle