Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigang,  DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  27 secs ago
 amigang:  1 min ago
 pavlor:  12 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 zipper:  47 mins ago
 matthey:  48 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Rassilon:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Posted on 29-May-2011 8:36:12
#621 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:
Intel PM965 mobile chipset has two DDR2 memory controllers and can support 8GB of memory(1)(2).

Is this the same chipset we are discussing?

Quote:
It’s either
1. additional SpecFP2000 points
2. additional connectivity features.

I see it rather as most SpecFp2000 points per Watt with most additional connectivity features on the side of PA6T.

Quote:
Btw, PA6T has 4 DDR2 memory controllers. Amiga X1000 itself only has 1 PEG slot at 16X or 2 PEG slot at 8X.

X1000:
1x PCIe x16 (or 2x x8)
2x PCIe x1
1x Xorro (modified PCIe x8)

Quote:
Going back-in-time is just an academic exercise.

Without doubt.

Quote:
In the 20 to 30 watt space, the current comparison should be with Intel Core I mobile series or AMD Turion II Neo(1)/Phenom II mobile(2).

Our discussion started after my reply on post 564 (WolfToTheMoon) that marked PA6T as 05/06 technology. Sure, comparison with any current x86 product is pointless.

Quote:
Arguing is a strong word. How about discussing?

With my lame language skills, I can´t often identify the subtle differences between some words. Yes, discussing sounds better.

Profile     Report this post  
TiredofLife 
Posted on 29-May-2011 10:18:10
#622 ]

@damocles

Sorry mate, I've read carefully and can't see any camps.
Certainly not ones who would be adversely affected by C=USA being successful.
Just tell me which groups you were talking about.

As for your latest comment about taking the Amiga forward, that is going to put the cat amongst the pidgeons.
I would imagine everyone here wants the Amiga taking forward.
Which Amiga though?

There have been plenty of arguements about what constitutes an Amiga here and on other sites.

Cheers

Quote:
@damocles

Quote:
The new Commodore Amigas should be selling in the tens of thousands (debate is that yearly or monthly sales volume). COS 1.x series is basically a place holder till a follow on modern OS can be developed. I think the main fear in certain camps is that with that level of sales volume, very few will know of their existence and therefore become irrelevant. That's my guess at least.

Which camps would those be?

Quote:
The ones that are screaming indignation that someone else is moving the Amiga forward on a large scale. If you read carefully, you might be able to see the ones I'm talking about in this very thread.

umisef 
Posted on 29-May-2011 11:40:04
#623 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
1x Xorro (modified PCIe x8)

It's only "modified PCIe x8" from a purely mechanical point of view.

There is nothing, nothing "PCI Express" about the signals on the "Xorro Slot".

What you are doing is like calling a DB-9 serial port a "modified EGA port"....

ribdevil 
Posted on 29-May-2011 14:31:04
#624 ]

@umisef

El caso es tocar los huevos.
Ya vale

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 29-May-2011 14:40:51
#625 ]
Cult Member

@ribdevil

No es tocar los huevos, es ser realista.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

austgarden 
Posted on 29-May-2011 15:08:03
#626 ]

Hm strange
but i kind'a was under the impression
that this was an English forum

and for a company that
i was under the impression that most of us did not like werry much

they sure do get a LOT of ATTENTION.. .

Anyone who can walk to the welfare office can walk to work.

pavlor 
Posted on 29-May-2011 15:41:30
#627 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW

Quote:
No es tocar los huevos, es ser realista.

Maybe there are more sorts of reality... for us all.

ribdevil 
Posted on 29-May-2011 16:21:11
#628 ]

@pavlor

+1

In_Correct 
Posted on 30-May-2011 9:13:50
#629 ]

@TiredofLife

Quote:

TiredofLife wrote:
@damocles

Sorry mate, I've read carefully and can't see any camps.
Certainly not ones who would be adversely affected by C=USA being successful.
Just tell me which groups you were talking about.

As for your latest comment about taking the Amiga forward, that is going to put the cat amongst the pidgeons.
I would imagine everyone here wants the Amiga taking forward.
Which Amiga though?

There have been plenty of arguements about what constitutes an Amiga here and on other sites.

Cheers

Quote:
@damocles

Quote:
The new Commodore Amigas should be selling in the tens of thousands (debate is that yearly or monthly sales volume). COS 1.x series is basically a place holder till a follow on modern OS can be developed. I think the main fear in certain camps is that with that level of sales volume, very few will know of their existence and therefore become irrelevant. That's my guess at least.

Which camps would those be?

Quote:
The ones that are screaming indignation that someone else is moving the Amiga forward on a large scale. If you read carefully, you might be able to see the ones I'm talking about in this very thread.

"Which Amiga Though?" Why not all of them? and...I think what constitutes an Amiga is something that retains the Amiga Heritage as much as possible. Amiga Keyboard, NOT Windows Keyboard... a microkernel OS, preferrably Amiga OS or Amiga OS-like, and high quality durable hardware. Nothing that is too much like a PC Clone, or is too Apple-ish.

@whoever TiredOfLife quoted... damocles? I think?

"COS 1.x is basically a place holder till a follow on modern OS can be developed." I hope so lol.
"I think the main fear in certain camps................ very few will know of their existence and therefore become irrelevant....." Are these camps the "small amount of user base" that people are talking about? If so, the reason why C=USA is not wanting to develop a computer (not even one??) is because (they are a startup company that are incapable of "throwing money at PPC" or whatever) and also they think that if there are only 2.5K people in the world that use AmigaOS, and only .... I don't remember...but the total combination of everybody that has anything &/or everything to do with Commodore/Amiga/Amiga Clone total population of Camps all together...is less than 200,000 people....then they think that only around a few thousand people buying their computers. C=USA obviously wants to sell at least millions of them, and so they are trying to (not only go with the easiest hardware and software options available to them) but also sell to people that are familiar with x86 machines...those that regularly use Windows/MacOSX/Linux ...... BUT... there are people that are very annoyed with these systems, and fall into an additional "Camp" of people that would want to have an as-original-as-possible type of Commodore/Amiga/Clone......which the product lines that C=USA is announcing would not be good for any of these people....

and... as for the population of people that are familiar with Windows/MacOSX/Linux ...x86...Intel... and want to buy similar............... why would they want to buy Commodore/Amiga/ systems since x86 Commodore and x86 Amiga would not be much different than other x86 systems?

They have to have as much uniqueness as possible!!!!
And so I am at least glad that C=USA does NOT have the Microsoft Windows Keyboard... that they are releasing Replica of C=64 ...which I applaud them for...because I imagine that this is a very DIFFICULT thing for a start-up company to do!! and they seem to be more dedicated than C=International/C=Holdings is!! (I only see "PC Clones" on their site) and Amiga .com .... (they have Intel Android Tablets) and I also like that C=USA is releasing their own Operating System, making them unique. (while at the same time I can't help but think they are being very Apple-like when doing so)

and at the same time... since it is Commodore and Amiga that they are releasing... then they need to make as much heritages as possible to the original Commodore and Amiga. doing so is not being stuck in the past. if PPC is not suitable, then develop ARM systems. something that is durable, yet inexpensive. I know that they are startup company and so as a result they can't do everything at once...but they ought to consider more possible possibilities in the future.

a response from me about C=USA's "we don't want to reinvent the wheel". that wouldn't be reinventing the wheel!!. Reinventing The Wheel is more like trying to release your own competion to USB, and SATA, and other connections...and trying to keep all Commodore and Amiga vintage port connection things on their new updated systems.

Being creative, unique, and also staying close to Originality as possible, is not Reinventing The Wheel.

Sorry if all this is confusing.

AmigaOS = MorphOS = AROS = RISC OS

TiredofLife 
Posted on 30-May-2011 10:05:51
#630 ]

@In_Correct

Quote:
Why not all of them?

I like your attitude.

Unfortunately not everyone thinks that way though there are plenty that do.
For all sorts of reasons which I won't rehash now, a lot of Amigans will only get behind one of the available options.

Sad but true.

As for the camps, Damocles seems reluctant to clarify himself but I don't think he refers to the small user base of the Amiga as that would be only one camp.
I don't think it would be the user bases of the different Amiga options either, as there is no conflict of interest.

C-USA selling a Linux based machine is not going to draw people away from AOS/AROS/MorphOS.
If people wanted Linux instead of something from the Amiga range, they would have it already.

Nor are C=USA going to steal new users away either.
Anyone wanting to be involved in the Amiga pretty much already is.
We are currently not in a position were we are attracting thousands of new users each day.

It's possible we might even gain some new users as result of the publicity being generated by C=USA.

There are people who are not happy with the Amiga name being put onto Linux machines but I don't think they belong to any particular camp.

Daedalus 
Posted on 30-May-2011 10:15:55
#631 ]

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:

The end result is what is important. How good COS 1.x series will be, I don't know, don't really care all that much right now TBH. COS 2.x is where the real interest will be for most people reading on AWN.

Yep, I'm quite interested in the possibility of a commercial Amiga-like OS for x86. But so far I haven't read anything *at all* about COS 2.x which gives any indication of what it might be, other than it might or might not be Linux based, and it'll include an emulator. That sort of incredibly vague information is of very little interest most people I'd imagine. And I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would hold out buying or building a computer just for this vague promise of a new OS of which a single detail has yet to be confirmed. It seems like fanboi-ism in the extreme...

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 1-Jun-2011 14:34:46
#632 ]
Cult Member

@austgarden

Sometimes people post here in their native languages and none argues about that, what's your problem?

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

damocles 
Posted on 1-Jun-2011 14:59:28
#633 ]

@Daedalus

Quote:
Yep, I'm quite interested in the possibility of a commercial Amiga-like OS for x86. But so far I haven't read anything *at all* about COS 2.x which gives any indication of what it might be, other than it might or might not be Linux based, and it'll include an emulator. That sort of incredibly vague information is of very little interest most people I'd imagine. And I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would hold out buying or building a computer just for this vague promise of a new OS of which a single detail has yet to be confirmed. It seems like fanboi-ism in the extreme...

I agree that a lot of the information about COS 2.x is up in the air right now and C=USA isn't talking about it. I do know it's in the hopper and having a real OS they can claim as their own is going to be important in the long term for C=USA. Barry has had C64 and then Amiga as apart of his CableTech business and he understands what C=USA is going to need beyond the retro scene that must handle today's and tomorrow's technology. COS 2.x is going to take time to develope, but it should be a major break from COS 1.x series.

COS 1.x/Ubuntu is what will be used initially but it's not the final destination.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 2-Jun-2011 11:16:49
#634 ]

@damocles

Is COS2 going to be developed in house from scratch?
Or are will they be adapting something like Android for instance.

If C=USA want to sell machines now for an OS that isn't ready, it would probably be a good idea to tell prospective customers a bit more about what is planned.

damocles 
Posted on 2-Jun-2011 13:08:30
#635 ]

@TiredofLife

Quote:
s COS2 going to be developed in house from scratch?

Wish I could give you more details, but I don't know them. I use to know what it was going to be, but things got turned upside down not too long ago. Getting C64x out the door (imminent) and getting COS 1.x released (Beta testing begins end of this month) has high priority.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 2-Jun-2011 14:47:28
#636 ]

@damocles

Sounds interesting, I take it there has been a change of direction then?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 2-Jun-2011 15:17:26
#637 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW

non so, forse e' meglio lasciare stare...

number6 
Posted on 2-Jun-2011 16:52:51
#638 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

I guess any news about the "big box" store/s would only come after product is in house at those stores and a news release approved?

nimrod7 
Posted on 2-Jun-2011 16:54:06
#639 ]

Quote:

damocles wrote:

COS 1.x released (Beta testing begins end of this month) has high priority.

you mean Ubuntu-beta-testing? ;)

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

damocles 
Posted on 2-Jun-2011 17:33:05
#640 ]

@number6

Quote:
I guess any news about the "big box" store/s would only come after product is in house at those stores and a news release approved?

Pre-production orders are filled first, then the big box and online retail gets theirs. So that's tens of thousands of C64x's that have to be ready for shipment to the retailers, they don't want some stores to have them while others don't when advertisement starts.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle