Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 67 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  15 mins ago
 pixie:  25 mins ago
 clint:  43 mins ago
 OlafS25:  50 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 jPV:  4 hrs 38 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Acer & Amiga Patents...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: Acer & Amiga Patents...
Posted on 26-May-2012 7:13:43
#21 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Quote:

PR wrote:
This is news for me as there is an Acer Aspire below this keyboard (and was connected too to the XE before it went down)

Actually when it is a big player why won´t we put it down like the all past ones;)

Sorry but this Commodore Logo is a bit idiot when tired and that makes it a bit offensive. Can You just stop it? Call Me 2- days 24h. at a row in my own work an ass or someone is just ridiculous too? Sorry about that but just my opinion.

So GoGo my shit pc?

Obviously English isn't your native language...

For the life of me I can't even come close to trying to figure out anything you have just said in that post...

Except the bit saying that it's just your opinion but sadly I can't figure out from that what your opinion is....

Care to try & clarify what you were trying to say...

Profile     Report this post  
Rudei 
Posted on 26-May-2012 9:55:54
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

I read it as 'he thinks you're an idiot'
Don't shoot the messenger.

Rude!

Franko 
Posted on 26-May-2012 10:45:41
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Rudei

Quote:

Rudei wrote:
@Franko

Rude!

Can I borrow your Babelfish !!!

As all I could see were a bunch of random words that make about as much sense as a phone call to Sky's customer service centre in Pakistan....

Now if he was trying to say what you just said then, why not just say that as being an idiot it's kinda hard to understand a collection of random words like that...

Still if it's only that he thinks I'm an idiot then that sok, could've been worse is suppose, he could've said he thought i was English...

Rudei 
Posted on 26-May-2012 11:32:51
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Cheeky f@@ker
Yes I didn't really get it, but that was the gist I picked up.

Regards,
Rude!

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-May-2012 14:23:10
#25 ]
Cult Member

@yttriumox

Quote:

Acer owns the intellectual property of "Amiga" through their purchase of Gateway.

"Intellectual property" refers to a bunch of different things:

1. The Amiga patents. Acer may own these if they acquired that particular Gateway property. As #6 pointed out, we don't know if they did.

2. The Amiga domain names. We know that Acer does not own these.

3. The Amiga trademarks. We know that Acer does not own these.

4. The software (AmigaOS et all). We know that Acer does not own this.

As for patents:

The USPTO has a nice searchable patent database (use "quick search" then search for "Assignee name" = Commodore). The list of results is sorted chronologically. start at the bottom and then go up the list.

For somewhat complicated reasons, the patents in question expire either 17 years after the issue date or 20 years after the filing date - whatever is the longer term. I count 6 patents which are still active, all of which will expire in the next 13 months.

I'm not sure if we can find out who currently owns them. But I'm tired of doing all the work on my own and I don't think it matters all that much.

Franko 
Posted on 26-May-2012 14:34:39
#26 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:

cgutjahr wrote:

1. The Amiga patents. Acer may own these if they acquired that particular Gateway property. As #6 pointed out, we don't know if they did.

And we still don't know, but it would be kinda odd to spend the money they did and the patents not to be included in that deal...

But then it's seems that no matter what Acer bought from Gateway they never actually did anything with any of it, which ie even more strange...

Quote:
I'm not sure if we can find out who currently owns them. But I'm tired of doing all the work on my own and I don't think it matters all that much.

Your not the only one but then this thread wasn't really about proving one way or another what Acer actually owned/ owns...

It was simply about asking if anyone knew if Acer ever made or produced anything using the Amiga IP which they bought...

And your right, it doesn't matter it was simply a question I was curious about, that's all...

[/quote]

broadblues 
Posted on 26-May-2012 15:20:54
#27 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Franko

Quote:

It was simply about asking if anyone knew if Acer ever made or produced anything using the Amiga IP which they bought...

I don't know but I always had the impression they bought ajob lot from gateway and the amiga stuff was just some strange oddments at the bottom of the boxx.

opi 
Posted on 26-May-2012 15:54:16
#28 ]
Team Member

@Franko

Quote:
But then it's seems that no matter what Acer bought from Gateway they never actually did anything with any of it, which ie even more strange...

Why do you think someone had to do something with this junk? Most patents, due the broken patent laws, are used defensively. If someone wants to sue you over patent issue you try to use your patent portfolio to pin him down, then you sign a cross-patent agreement and are done.

What do you think, Acer should see some awesomely old patent and say "Guys, we should totally do an Amiga, really!"? Such reality is one drop of LSD away.

Franko 
Posted on 26-May-2012 15:59:25
#29 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Franko

I don't know but I always had the impression they bought ajob lot from gateway and the amiga stuff was just some strange oddments at the bottom of the boxx.

Think you might be right there...

From what little info I can find on the net about it. it would seem Acer never actually did anything at all with anything they bought Amigawise from Gateway...

Suppose what I was hoping for was that Acer had produced somewhere along the line a small handheld gaming console that if I could find an old second hand one of I could rip the guts out of it for a project I had in mind...

Oh well, it was just a faint hope that they might have produced something Amiga like that I had missed...

Toaks 
Posted on 26-May-2012 19:07:07
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Rudei

Quote:

Rudei wrote:
@Franko

Rude!

ok, i just woke my son up... its all your fault
(my extremely loud evil hysterical laughter never wakes up sleeping children)

Franko 
Posted on 26-May-2012 19:30:34
#31 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Quote:

opi wrote:
@Franko

What do you think, Acer should see some awesomely old patent and say "Guys, we should totally do an Amiga, really!"? Such reality is one drop of LSD away.

You know, I've been mulling over that comment and have come to the conclusion that you must've already taken that drop of LSD and missed the reality of how to make money out of old computers just because you consider them obsolete...

Take Toy Lobster for example, the company who had the foresight to see how to make money out of old computer stuff, they sold more C64 DTV's on their first day than even the Raspberry PI sold...

Kinda makes me wonder sometimes if your views about old computer gear really are clouded by an LSD habit or you have memory problems...

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-May-2012 21:02:30
#32 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Quote:

In their case, "Amiga stuff" is nothing but patents (if they got these at all). You can't do anything Amiga related if you only have access to some obscure patents.

number6 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 18:43:52
#33 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Stumbled on this and thought it would be interesting to hear what people had to say at the time.
Granted these are public statements and Gateway's true feelings might have been different in private, but nevertheless:

The Amiga is Different

agami 
Posted on 6-Aug-2014 9:03:51
#34 ]

@Franko

Sometime patents are lumped in as part the deal, and other times patents are explicitly sought after in a deal, though the imperative does not exist for the new holder to do anything with them.

There are many patent usage agreements in place which generate cents or dollars per instance sold by a third party. For most software patents, something I deplore by the way, it's not about stopping someone from applying it but rather to "tax" it's usage; It's the "I thought of it first" tax. And if you're a company that has already spent time and money on developing a new product and you've unintentionally used something in your software that turns out to have a patent holder, do you go back to the drawing board, or do you pay $3 per device sold to the patent holder? The patent holder would have the latter, and in most cases the device developer would as well. Until sometime down the track in a product's life they make a change and leave users quizzically pondering "what was wrong with the old way?".

Also, patents are branding agnostic. Even some of the device or apparatus patents filed by Commodore/Amiga would be applicable to other computer hardware developers and may even apply to smartphones and tablets.

The whole patent system has gone completely bonkers, but so many companies have put so much money into the broken system that none of them are willing to give it all up. It can be argued that there is no true invention and everything has prior art. To this end IP Australia several years back introduced an Innovation Patent: costs less than a patent and acknowledges that the filer has made an innovation on an existing "invention" of someone else.

Oh I could go on but I'll leave it there.

KimmoK 
Posted on 6-Aug-2014 9:50:26
#35 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Nice to read those Gateway "words", like:

"... I think what we were surprised we acquired, was the World of Amiga.
And I spent of a lot of time studying this, so I want to take a minute just to say something. It is clear that without you people, we would have had nothing to acquire. So the first obligation of Gateway 2000 is to say thank you. It is the Amiga community that has kept this brand and this OS and this product line and this concept alive without the support of strong corporate financial backing, without the support of a wild and competitive advertising scheme, and without a lot of things. It is the belief in the OS and the belief in the value of these products in the world of computing that has kept this product alive. "

Let's be proud and continue.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

number6 
Posted on 28-Aug-2015 22:29:14
#36 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Acer: World's fifth largest PC maker up for sale

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 4:20:28
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
If Acer owns all the Amiga patents then what benefits do they gain from just sitting on them for all these years !!!

You mean all this time they could have released my fantasia Amiga idea in the form of the Acer A1800? Typical!

Quote:
Can't you ever just answer a simple question with a concise neat reply instead of forever linking to other threads and other links that are full of speculation & rumour.

LOL. You make him sound like a lawyer.

persia 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 10:56:12
#38 ]

Patents are all gone now anyway....

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 15:37:19
#39 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
Patents are all gone now anyway....

Actually, I think the AmigaVision patents were the only ones that hadn't expired last I checked. Even so, expired patents are much more useful than trade secrets because once a patent is expired it can be used as "prior art" to anybody trying to re-patent the same idea.

Also, the reason AmigaVision used tiled icons instead of a standard tree gadget was that they were side-stepping a prior art claim of an earlier patent that is now expired as well.

number6 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 16:07:21
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:
Even so, expired patents are much more useful than trade secrets because once a patent is expired it can be used as "prior art" to anybody trying to re-patent the same idea.

Yep. We discussed that here.

Carl Sassenrath

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle