Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  9 mins ago
 A1200:  38 mins ago
 pixie:  48 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 jPV:  5 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  New version of Frontier Elite
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
SpaceDruid 
Re: New version of Frontier Elite
Posted on 15-Nov-2012 22:57:13
#41 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Bezzen

As interesting as that was, it's still technology, not game design and lots of the word "maybe" in there.

I suspect he's far too early into the design to know how much money he's going to need to complete it. One would think given that he's asked for the money, there would be a lot less "maybe" and a lot more, "we plan".

I think he's got various tools needed to make a game and now he want to see if he will get enough money to make a game from these tools. That is not a very good way to design anything.

"Hey, I have a hammer, give me money and I'll build a house!"
"Great! What kind of house?"
"Erm, Well I have one window so it will be dark and I have lots of doors so there will be lots of rooms"

"Do you have any idea how to build a house?"

"Well I built a shed 40 years ago, how much harder can a house be? Sheds only have 1 window and some have 2 doors which is lots of doors for a building that size"

"Here! Take my money!!"

Google Translate

Profile     Report this post  
Bezzen 
Posted on 15-Nov-2012 23:18:45
#42 ]

@SpaceDruid

You are talking about a man who's the chairman of a development company that he has been running for close to 20 years and with currently around 200 employees. You make it sound like he has no idea about what he's doing. :)

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 16-Nov-2012 1:24:00
#43 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Bezzen

Heh, I've been running my company for around 20 years and I've no idea what I'm doing either!

If I ever figure it out, I'll probably f**k it up. Best that I don't have a clue. It's worked well for me so far.

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 16-Nov-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Google Translate

vidarh 
Posted on 16-Nov-2012 1:32:17
#44 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

Quote:
If we were talking about Elite in isolation, then I wouldn't have problems understanding, but there are hundreds of kickstarter projects and new UK based website recently launched. This is big business now. It's big business made possible by people that on average, rather steal music and games via torrents than pay for them (statistically speaking).

*Most people* have stuff they are deeply passionate about and willing to spend money on that would seem weird to everyone else.

We love Amigas (and quite a few of us seems to love Elite). Someone else might want to spend 5k to meet their favorite sheep shaver, or deeply crave a new kitchen tool that everyone else would think is pointless.

The comparison to piracy is misleading: People spend vast amounts on music. You'd have an easy job finding people who'd be willing to spend 5k to meet their favorite artists, and people spend lots of money on concerts etc. There's no incongruity there with not paying for a track or an album they might not yet see much value in in comparison.

Quote:
And this is all happening at a time where the western financial world and job security are at an all time low. It's quite staggeringly amazingly going against the worldwide trend on spending.

People are still buying luxury brands too. Luxury spending is not very elastic - the people who have 5k to spend on meeting Braben, or a night on the town, are not likely to be the people who find themselves financially squeezed enough to be unable to throw money around.

And in fact, spending on "cheaper" luxury goods sometimes increase during recessions as people defer larger purchases (don't buy that new yacht but throw out 5k on something as a consolation...).

Quote:

Add on top of that the fact people are donating large sums for no financial gain, it's amazing how much money is being generated.

But people always spend vast amount of sums for no financial gain. There's not much point in spending lots of effort making financial gains if you're not going to spend the money for no financial gain again later.

Add to that that you're in effect paying for an 'experience' and group membership (in the group of backers for your desired project), and it's tantalising: People are in general vastly happier about money spent on an experience than on a product in the long term, and here you get to pay for an experience, yet have a decent shot at getting a product you want too. The psychology of it is fantastic - I wonder how much of that they thought about in advance.

Bezzen 
Posted on 16-Nov-2012 9:01:10
#45 ]

My reasoning for funding:

Did I love Elite and Frontier?
Yes.

Would I like to play a new version?
Yes!

Will it be the best game ever made?
I dunno, most probably not.

Is £20 worth the risk?
Hell yes. It's a fraction of what people spend on a regular night out and I'm very happy with risking those £20 on a game that could very well be pretty bland but has a small chance of being outright awesome.

If I had more money at the moment (that reminds me, gotta send out some invoices!) I'd up my £20 a bit.

KimmoK 
Posted on 16-Nov-2012 9:23:01
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Bezzen

"Will it be the best game ever made?"

Only if it beats Elite1.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Caveman 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 9:47:29
#47 ]
Cult Member

Bumping up :)

We could need some help at kickstarter :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

olegil 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 11:08:32
#48 ]
Elite Member

@vidarh

Well, in this case it's hard not to be sceptic. Frontier had all sorts of things that won't translate into a multiplayer world, especially the way you could fast-forward. I don't think you can imagine how boring it would be to play without that, even if hyperspace jump is changed to be instantaneous.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 12:53:14
#49 ]
Elite Member

I think I would rather donate to Oolite porting...
Old thread.

Last edited by KimmoK on 26-Nov-2012 at 12:54 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

ChrisH 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 19:04:07
#50 ]
Elite Member

@olegil Quote:
it's hard not to be sceptic. Frontier had all sorts of things that won't translate into a multiplayer world, especially the way you could fast-forward.

Errr, did you even read the Kickstarter page or watch the videos? There will be no time travel (aka fast-forward) due to multiplayer.

I personally can't see anything to be skeptical about. As far as I can see, he has all the technology needed to do it, and even has made good progress on the most central part of the game.

Last edited by ChrisH on 26-Nov-2012 at 07:08 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 19:06:35
#51 ]
Elite Member

Looks like he's listening to criticism about the Kickstarter page, as it's now FAR more logically organised & easier to read:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

There's also a nice new video showing some of the game, which I hope will silence some of the critics. He also reveals a bit more about his plans for how it will work.

All in all, I'm thinking it looks very promising

Last edited by ChrisH on 26-Nov-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 26-Nov-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Caveman 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 22:13:21
#52 ]
Cult Member

@All

Interresting article

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/11/david-braben-publisher-model-prevented-development-of-new-elite/

AmiKit 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 22:38:36
#53 ]

My pledge is in, too!

Caveman 
Posted on 26-Nov-2012 22:52:31
#54 ]
Cult Member

@AmiKit

+1

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 27-Nov-2012 5:22:12
#55 ]

@Caveman

Quote:

Interresting article

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/11/david-braben-publisher-model-prevented-development-of-new-elite/

Funny how Microsoft, CCP Games and Egosoft never had a problem funding a space exploration game...

Google Translate

Bezzen 
Posted on 27-Nov-2012 9:50:39
#56 ]

@SpaceDruid

Quote:
Funny how Microsoft, CCP Games and Egosoft never had a problem funding a space exploration game...

Braben's difficulties with GameTek is probably what makes him a bit publisher-unfriendly when it comes to the Elite brand.

Caveman 
Posted on 27-Nov-2012 9:59:24
#57 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

Maybe because they always did what the publishers wanted?

olegil 
Posted on 27-Nov-2012 17:31:52
#58 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Well, that's what I meant. Without the fast-forward, Frontier would either be 1: tedious beyond imagination or 2: completely unrealistic.

Ok, changing the hyperspace travel to instant jumps will help an awful lot, but what about travel within a system? That can take weeks in Frontier. To get that down to minutes would mean we're either working on accelerated time by default AND are talking about relativistic speeds, or working on real time and doing hyperspace jumps even within systems.

Not much Frontier left in that.

Of course, I could be wrong and it could totally work. I was just saying I'm sceptical about it

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

amigacooke 
Posted on 29-Nov-2012 1:18:18
#59 ]

Not far off 50% funding now.

Last edited by amigacooke on 29-Nov-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Caveman 
Posted on 29-Nov-2012 23:24:15
#60 ]
Cult Member

Genuine Elite art auction at Ebay :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-digital-drawing-of-a-camel-with-rockets-and-guns-and-things-/230889791893?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle