Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 83 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 outlawal2:  26 mins ago
 pixie:  38 mins ago
 Frank:  42 mins ago
 amigang:  59 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Lou:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Another blow by the usual dude to PPC
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: Another blow by the usual dude to PPC
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 16:25:45
#21 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
for heaven's sakes. the article in the statesman is misleading. we're trying to get ravi or someone else at freescale to send them a correction request.

hard to believe that freescale will review and contradict their own statements that must have been carefully worded by their public releases department. also on behalf of whom you would want to demand such a correction? os4? hyperion? amiga community? imho as not being freescale customers none here is in a position.

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 16:25:49
#22 ]

Some sources are now claiming a 8 core custom CPU by AMD for both Sony and MS next console. Wii U might be in trouble for 3rd party titles if developers conclude it's too big of a hassle to do both PPC and x86 versions of their games.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 16:37:49
#23 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Here's the explaination for my sigh:

Years ago, i first reported your "notable" and "impressive" knowledge of the 68k CPU and other processors to the natami team, asking them to contact you to join to the project. Don't know if they have contacted you.
But reading article after article, i noticed that you used to be very critical and destructive about next gen Amigas, including the companies. Sorry to say, but this is what anyone can read in your articles. Recently, as soon as i asked the engineers for a possibile implementation of TiNA directly connected to the AmigaOne 500 (classic hardware into next gen) You just showed your disagreement. This is the reason for my complaints. I have to say that the engineers stated that a secondary PCB of TiNA (directly connected to the AmigaOne 500 and sam 460) could be easily created as soon as the first implementation will be completed.

Many others would like to have an enhanced classic into the next gen for hardware emulation and other experiments.

So my "sigh" are related to your repulsion for the Next Gen hardware and for the integration of the TiNA into the next gen.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 16:47:46
#24 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

in my opinion sam users might profit more from having jit enabled uae, than another costly hardware to spport the emulation. otherwise i dont particularly see why you need both devices in common case, but i suppose it might be thought of after an amiga fpga replacement has been designed and proven working. but first things first, please.

Last edited by wawa on 21-Jan-2013 at 04:48 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 16:51:28
#25 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Jit is a must have, but would be nice to have transparent hardware emulation. Moreover, this kind of expansion could lead to other hardware projects.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 17:10:29
#26 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
Moreover, this kind of expansion could lead to other hardware projects.

what projects do you have in mind?

KimmoK 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 17:14:01
#27 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PowerPC.jpg

There seems to be about 10 companies developing PPC cores.
But like on ARM side, most of them develop low power 32bit chips and only two or three develop high end chips.

IIRC, So far it seems Freescale is developing only low end 32bit ARM chips. 64bit is so far PPC & MIPS territory.

Last edited by KimmoK on 21-Jan-2013 at 05:17 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

olegil 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 18:01:30
#28 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I'm said it before and I'll say it again. Freescale is reducing to THREE arches, from over 20. ARM and POWER are two of those three. RIGHT NOW they are focussing about 100% of R&D towards ARM, but R&D in the chip world is years ahead of post-engineering (which is where the next one or two generations of POWER based QorIQ is now). So we'll see plenty of cool things yet.

If we find some cool ways to use the P204x, P3, P4, P5, T4 and T2 series processors we'll have all sorts of fun for at least another decade.

Besides, all the ARM chips will be multicore as well, so that's what we need to focus on for now. Across all platforms.

See my sig for more info

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 18:16:03
#29 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
WolfToTheMoon wrote:
Some sources are now claiming a 8 core custom CPU by AMD for both Sony and MS next console. Wii U might be in trouble for 3rd party titles if developers conclude it's too big of a hassle to do both PPC and x86 versions of their games.

Some thirdy parties already announced that they will not port their projects to Wii U.

Next generation consoles will not be some much different from the current ones from the hardware point of view: Nintendo will lag behind, recycling again the old GameCube's CPU...

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 18:36:54
#30 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
AmigaBlitter wrote:
@cdimauro

Here's the explaination for my sigh:

Years ago, i first reported your "notable" and "impressive" knowledge of the 68k CPU and other processors to the natami team, asking them to contact you to join to the project. Don't know if they have contacted you.

They did, but I was not interested on developing new software.
Quote:
But reading article after article, i noticed that you used to be very critical and destructive about next gen Amigas, including the companies.

I don't see why: there aren't "next generation" Amigas. There are PCs, Macs, and AmigaOnes, which are very different machines.

Amiga is a clearly defined set of machines with (very) custom hardware and ad hoc operating system.

The dream has never repeated.
Quote:
Sorry to say, but this is what anyone can read in your articles.

This is what YOU want to see.
Quote:
Recently, as soon as i asked the engineers for a possibile implementation of TiNA directly connected to the AmigaOne 500 (classic hardware into next gen) You just showed your disagreement. This is the reason for my complaints.

I've already explained why. Your idea didn't make any sense.
Quote:
I have to say that the engineers stated that a secondary PCB of TiNA (directly connected to the AmigaOne 500 and sam 460) could be easily created as soon as the first implementation will be completed.

To do what? Have you any idea of how an Amiga works and what you are talking about?

Anyway, TiNA is an open project: you or any other people will be free to adapt it for you needs. IF you are able to do it, and IF it really makes sense (which I don't subscribe).
Quote:
Many others would like to have an enhanced classic into the next gen for hardware emulation and other experiments.

Hu. Are you saying that a 400+Mhz PowerPC core isn't able to fully emulate an Amiga 1200 (14Mhz) at perfect frame rate?

If so, I can suggest you three solutions: buy a better CPU (there are Ghz+ and powerful enough PowerPCs), write a good 68K -> PowerPC JIT compiler, or implement a brand new Amiga emulator PowerPC in assembly with a clever rasterline emulation. The easier is the former, of course.
Quote:
So my "sigh" are related to your repulsion for the Next Gen hardware and for the integration of the TiNA into the next gen.

It's simply good sense, because it's quite evidente that you don't know nothing about what you are talking about.

To be clear, can you tell me, please, what specific part(s) of TiNA are you interested in porting to the AmigaOne machines? How do you plan to interface it to the FPGA?

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 18:51:27
#31 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@cdimauro

http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PowerPC.jpg

There seems to be about 10 companies developing PPC cores.
But like on ARM side, most of them develop low power 32bit chips and only two or three develop high end chips.

Exactly, and from the picture I don't see so much about CPU & core evolution.

We are talking about existing projects, or projects which are currently under development.
Quote:
IIRC, So far it seems Freescale is developing only low end 32bit ARM chips. 64bit is so far PPC & MIPS territory.

Freescale will continue with its projects, of course.

Right now ARM64 is not need: a 64 bit PowerPC will suffice for its market.

You know that ARM64 is tailored for servers, to attack a strategic field for Intel. There's time to acquire know-how about it, and embrace the new core.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 19:35:46
#32 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
I don't see why: there aren't "next generation" Amigas. There are PCs, Macs, and AmigaOnes, which are very different machines.

thats right..

Quote:
If so, I can suggest you three solutions: buy a better CPU (there are Ghz+ and powerful enough PowerPCs), write a good 68K -> PowerPC JIT compiler, or implement a brand new Amiga emulator PowerPC in assembly with a clever rasterline emulation. The easier is the former, of course. Quote:

i think you might be interested in the thread i linked to, really.

Quote:
To be clear, can you tell me, please, what specific part(s) of TiNA are you interested in porting to the AmigaOne machines? How do you plan to interface it to the FPGA?

i think he would like to have an amiga chipset on pci card, to be interfaced by 68k emulation. such has been hammered on multiple ocasions as soon as some 68k hardware remake appeared on the horizon. i dont get how that would have much impact, except os4 fans probably hoped to convince the remaining 68k scene to their amigaones.

Toaks 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 19:44:43
#33 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

Next generation consoles will not be some much different from the current ones from the hardware point of view: Nintendo will lag behind, recycling again the old GameCube's CPU...

Pardon?, i have traveled high and low and yes that WiiU thing might be correct indeed but that comes down to one simple thing, sales! other than that i am stumped where your information comes from.

As for this GameCube Cpu you're referring to, just for the record, it has sold over 110 MILLION units and it's still going even tho very slow now (thank god!!).

As for project Durango (Microsofts xbox monster project) and project Orbit (Sony's new monster) both seem to go totally different this time around and both rumors and trustworthy sources indicates quite the opposite of what youre claiming here.

I suggest you go to any major console and tech website and have a read, also yes its rumors and unanmed sources so it might not be for real but! keep in mind this is the 2 same persons who leaked the PS Vita , The new Slim ps3 and the 360 slim and all bundles and so on months! before they got confirmed.

pavlor 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 19:56:45
#34 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

There are even two branches marketing "next generation" Amiga branded desktop computers:
AmigaOne/AmigaOS by Hyperion
Amiga Mini (Mio) by CommodoreUSA (not sold anymore, I fear)

Quote:
Amiga is a clearly defined set of machines with (very) custom hardware and ad hoc operating system.

Clearly defined? Show me two Amiga users with the same definition of "Amiga".

Quote:
If so, I can suggest you three solutions: buy a better CPU (there are Ghz+ and powerful enough PowerPCs), write a good 68K -> PowerPC JIT compiler

Exactly. That is the right way. Cleanest and fastest path to full software compatibility without need to create some monstrous union of legacy and modern technology.

Back to topic...

PowerPC is dead on desktop. Single core performance of the fastest PowerPC core in existence is less than 1/4 of common and cheap Core i5. Further, there is no PowerPC SoC suitable for netbooks or even tablets.

Fransexy 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 20:16:01
#35 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
there is no PowerPC SoC suitable for netbooks or even tablets

The MPC5121e could be suitable is very old but avaliable. Anyway there are no SoC suitables because there is no interested customers. Sure that if you ask for a suitable Soc for tablet/mobile in Millions they manufacture one for you

pavlor 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 20:20:25
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:
The MPC5121e could be suitable is very old but avaliable.

As you wrote, very old. Pentium II class performance - back to year 1999?

Hopefuly some Chinese manufacturers will improve this situation (but I wouldn´t bet on that).

Fransexy 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 20:27:39
#37 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Fransexy

Quote:
The MPC5121e could be suitable is very old but avaliable.

As you wrote, very old. Pentium II class performance - back to year 1999?

The same as Rasperry Pi and it has sold +700000 units and growing

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 20:59:29
#38 ]

@Fransexy

Rpi is sold by a non profit organisation at a very low price. And, AFAIK, doesn't have the cache coherency issuw as 5212e

I guess PPC missed it's chance 5-10 years ago, when there were still PPC desktops and software development.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:06:45
#39 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@cdimauro
i think you might be interested in the thread i linked to, really.

It's a very long thread, so I saved it, and I'll read when I have enough time. May be this weekend.
Quote:
Quote:

i think he would like to have an amiga chipset on pci card, to be interfaced by 68k emulation. such has been hammered on multiple ocasions as soon as some 68k hardware remake appeared on the horizon. i dont get how that would have much impact, except os4 fans probably hoped to convince the remaining 68k scene to their amigaones.

An Amiga hardware in a PCI card is a completely different project, and resembles the Amiga Inc. solution for bringing backward compatibility with the Amiga DE platform.

But "linking" (part of) an Amiga hardware project with an existing AmigaOne through an FPGA is a complete non-sense.

Anyway, I think that a standalone project is a more interesting solution, even for OS4 users.

Zylesea 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:20:31
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:

The same as Rasperry Pi and it has sold +700000 units and growing

R Pi has the big advanatge that it has a hardware video decoder that is capable of hd video. The device is pretty slow but does soem demanding jobs that mask it's slowness.

The 512x family is too limited to impress a wider audience. Unfortunately.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle