Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
42 crawler(s) on-line.
 51 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 agami:  7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 4 mins ago
 BigD:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 zipper:  7 hrs 26 mins ago
 Frank:  7 hrs 41 mins ago
 Lou:  8 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New Amigaone X1000 in 2013?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rob 
Re: New Amigaone X1000 in 2013?
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 16:45:30
#61 ]
Elite Member

@ddni

Quote:
How could you have missed the obvious? NASA have bought up 300 machines in readiness for Mars colonisation. Those radiaton hardened PA6t are ideal!

Jorkany is purporting that he didn't realise you were taking the p!ss. LOL.

Profile     Report this post  
SlayeR__ 
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 17:27:52
#62 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:
well, point taken, im trying to put the available evidence in accordance with trevors hint. mea culpa..

The invention of this reason Quote:
perhaps there is some problem with assembling full systems by amigakit and therefore not all interested have been delivered yet.
has nothing to do with any evidence, and that there is not enough X1000 users in the forums isn't evidence either, afair Amigakit is now sending out machines from the third batch, so thats 200+ machines already delivered.

Quote:
but remember he didnt said there was 400 units. he cant be made responsible of delivering wrong information.

What he said was that there was three production runs of a size 100 to 300, which is between 500 to 700 X1000 MB's made.

Quote:
but the fans may be accused of mis-interpreting it. good to see the fans dont claim there was 1200 units according to the hint, apparently reason gains some ground.

And likewise you can blame the detractors for mis-interpreting the numbers, but i guess you already know about that.

gerograph 
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 17:54:45
#63 ]
Cult Member

@all

would be interesting to have Trevor commenting on that! My personal guess ist, that the amount of X1000 ordered was way higher than he expected. I doubt that he underestimated the amount of available PATSemis

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

olegil 
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 18:19:49
#64 ]
Elite Member

@gerograph

He said that there's no problem sourcing them, they're just becoming too pricey for his taste and he would rather spend his money on the next generation. So (like was mentioned here earlier), when demand went up from 0 to a positive number, price went up from high to ridiculous.

So based on the original evidence, of CPUs available and prices given, using the PA6T made sense. Based on the current evidence of availability and prices, it does not (make sense). Sad, but not very uncommon in the land of spot prices and EOL components.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

wawa 
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 18:55:16
#65 ]
Elite Member

@mr2

Quote:
There is 25% more ... Actually 5xX1000

seems i have come across the thread of this new x1k user from poland on your very site.
http://forum.amigaone.pl/sprzet/amigaone-x1000-u-nowego-uzytkownika-t306.html
wow.. what a reading..

Moxee 
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 21:37:43
#66 ]
Team Member

@Seblam

Quote:

I agree with most of your points, It's not Amigakit fault and everybody had a path to order what is called a "first contact" X1000, meaning a X1000 delivered without OS4.2 and with some beta drivers. Lot of people like me with the funds were simply waiting for the full OS4.2 X1000 release because the minimum you can expect when spending so much money is at least to have 2 cores and full 3D support.

I completely understand your position. I also wish our community was still as large as it was when the A3000 and such came out, but it is not. We just don't have the resources to hold back products until they are completely polished up and shiny as was the case in the "good ole days". So, I guess my minimum is less than your minimum. I've learned to act fast when I want something or suffer the consequences whether they be good or bad. I have every expectation that the full promise of the X1000 will be full-filled. The people behind the X1000 whom I have met are competent and are certainly not the type of people who would deliberately fill you full of false promises.

Quote:
But now, it looks like there will be never a normal full release of X1000+OS4.2 and this is annoying

I wish you would not say such things. This is exactly how rumors are started. No one knows what the future holds. On the other hand, if you are privy to some FACTS I'll surely lend an ear. I just don't want to hear wild speculation and conspiracy theories. There is enough of that on late night radio talk shows.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Moxee 
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 22:18:36
#67 ]
Team Member

@Seblam

Quote:

Oh come on, I have a microA1, an A1XE and a Peg2 so I'm not waiting Jesus or anything else.

Oh, you've got plenty of current machines. I did not know that.

Quote:

You are kidding mate! First contact were announced as a batch for those who cannot wait to put their hand on the X1000 even with beta drivers and an OS that is not using full potential of the machine (dual core and 3D).
And because I have already OS4 machines, I decided to wait for the full X1000+OS4.2 release that was announced but now looks like it will never happen, that's it.

Now I understand your position more clearly. I understand why you waited. It is just that in our small community it is not a good idea to wait because of the small number of products issued.

When I heard of the XE I jumped on it immediately. I received one of the first ones. It came with Debian Linux and I did not like that. So, I covered it with a bed sheet for months waiting for AOS4. The wait was not for naught. I still have that XE sitting right here and it will run the current OS.

Because I already had the XE I (like you) let the announcement of the X1000 pass by. Only when I heard that they had sold out the X1000 did I become annoyed with myself for sitting idly by. Then when I heard that they were proceeding with a 2nd batch of X1000 I jumped in with my email of interest.

I am just trying to say that if you are interested in something you have to grab that brass ring and enjoy the ride.

I love my X1000 and I am very happy that I have it. I enjoy receiving each update as it comes along. It makes me appreciate the machine just seeing how it improves each time. Perhaps I am unusual in this aspect.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

olegil 
Posted on 25-Feb-2013 22:35:39
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Actually, I don't think you are. It does give a warm, fuzzy feeling to be a part of something and feeling you're contributing. But different people get that from different things, and some people don't think of computers as anything different from another tool like a hammer. While on the other end of the scale, people are fanatic about hammers.

It takes all sorts

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

BCP 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 1:25:56
#69 ]

@Moxee

Very well said...., my sediments as well.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

Franko 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 1:42:50
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
I've learned to act fast when I want something or suffer the consequences whether they be good or bad.

I take the exact opposite view on such things Moxee, in other words I've learned to wait and not jump in at the start of something "new" just for the sake of it...

I went with Betamax when it first came out, superior technology & picture but whadaya know, the inferior VHS won out in the end... just one example....

I was very interested in the X1000 when I first read about it a couple of years ago and I waited when it finally appeared to see how it would fair, reckon I made the right decision in NOT buying one now...

Shame really, I would have liked to have seen the X1000 take off and establish a market for itself but for various reason it never happened. Wonder if Trevor has ever though about contacting the NatAmi developer/s and trying to convince them to market their product, might be something that could make a profit if done right as it would appeal to wider market...

klx300r 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 1:58:54
#71 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
I am just trying to say that if you are interested in something you have to grab that brass ring and enjoy the ride.

I love my X1000 and I am very happy that I have it. I enjoy receiving each update as it comes along. It makes me appreciate the machine just seeing how it improves each time. Perhaps I am unusual in this aspect.

nah you aint unusal Moxee ol boy ...I feel the exact same way after every update cause after all I bought it knowing full well we would be getting multi-core support and full 3d acceleration later on.

heck for me, like my other hobby- cars, it's all about enjoying the ride to where I wanna go

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

L8Knight 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 3:33:49
#72 ]

@Moxee

Very well said, Moxee! I find it especially fun now to check for updates and see new features pop up throughout the O.S. I have no doubt that Trevor and crew will achieve all the goals they set for OS 4.2 and that we will see it. My bet is we see it this year. Enjoying my X-1000 and very happy I got it when I did.

--Barry Steenbergh

olegil 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 5:48:45
#73 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Seeing as his problem right now is the increasing cost of CPUs then more marketing probably wouldn't have helped much.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 9:16:45
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

I see it this way. The community (that is the same for all camps) is too small to compete on hardware. The low numbers (sales) result in high prices for hardware and drivers because the development costs have to be covered by few users. So either there are low-cost PPC boards available (because these are already sold in high numbers to different customers) or you have to migrate to another bigger platform (X86 or ARM). The high prices for hardware and OS result in a shrinking community. Using aging used hardware is in my view no alternative either. So only opportunity is finding cheap PPC boards or migration (better option). But even if you find cheaper boards you will have problems to sell it outside to new users because people will ask what AmigaOS can do better (than Linux or Windows) and what software is available that justifies buying another system. But at least cheaper hardware would it make easier to win some new users and announcing a strategy mid and longterm (migrating to ARM or X86)

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 9:50:44
#75 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

"or migration "

I see very little easy alternatives. ARM is only for lilliput devices so far, and I'm not 100% sure that x86 is without it's own problems.
To me it seems easiest to design simpler low end boards. Like the servergy dualcore PPC devkit for some 199eur

I doubt you can do such device much cheaper with any other CPU...
Definitely SoC is the only way for cheapest low volume custom board.

With PPC we have the best SoC for custom desktop building. It scales from 3000MIPS to 100000+MIPS.

But if AROS seems to pave the way to world domination, then we would better migrate AOS4 and MOS codes to AROS.

Last edited by KimmoK on 26-Feb-2013 at 09:54 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

amigang 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 10:25:20
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
I registered interest in the original AmigaONE in March 2002, received a board in April 2003 and got the first public beta of OS4 in June 2004. In the years that there was no new OS4 hardware available people called me lucky. I was not lucky, I was dedicated and didn't sit around waiting for Jesus to fall out of the sky.

That partly why I made the push to get a First Contact system , I didn't want another opportunity pass me by.

olegil 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 10:34:59
#77 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I really wish you would stop looking at those e500v2 SoCs. If Hyperion would consider a port to a generic quad e500mc board, spin offs from P2 to P4 would be pretty easy, but no 199EUR system. 299EUR would be fair game, and for a quad this seems fine to me.

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 12:04:28
#78 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

"you would stop looking at those e500v2 SoCs"

I'm not.

The servergy board is just an example of what can be done with dualcore 1Ghz P1 SoC chip (for about 199eur).

To my understanding T1 should be priced identically with P1, when they become available and those are e5500 based.
(and I know it wil take about one year before T1 is available in volume)

olegil 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 12:12:12
#79 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Ok. Assuming your assumptions are correct (setting us both up for a major disaster there ) then now would definitely be the time to start designing with them. They ARE awesome. Unfortunately, even the time to samples and datasheets seem to be off in the distance. From receiving the data sheet to having a motherboard ready would take minimum half a year, so usually there's not much point in worrying about the migration from samples to full production series.

Are they willing to give any information to hobbyists at all?

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Feb-2013 13:32:27
#80 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

"Are they willing to give any information to hobbyists at all?"

I'm out of paid job soon. I'll be asking then...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle