Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  29 mins ago
 OneOfNine:  52 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 MarcioD:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Templario:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 dooz:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 Kronos:  2 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Not so Cranky A1 :-) (was "Awesome part find for my A1")
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Deniil715 
Re: Awesome part find for my A1
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 9:28:57
#41 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Try commenting out the ohci (or was that uhci) module from the kicklayout (make sure you do this in the second kicklayout in case of boot failure!!!). When I installed a new USB2.0 card in my A1-XE I found it still to be unstable at times, but after disabling one of these and connected the keyboard to the new controller card stuff became stable.

Profile     Report this post  
daveyw 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 9:39:39
#42 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

Now, this is not likely the fault of the X1000 itself, but most likely the SATA drives and setup. I read in an Amiga blog recently (may have bene Trevor's) that IDE took up space but it was solid and works perfeclty fine unlike SATA. And I can agree! I've had nothing but trouble with SATA. Most times I turn on my X1000 I am turning it off agin to fiddle inside with the SATA cables. Perhaps I need some metal strap to hold it on but my A1-XE, which didn't even have a socket around the IDE pins, never gave me so much problems as a new machine with drives disappearing!

After being "SATA" for about 2 weeks, I agree! My IDE drives were more reliable. Booting seems slower now (from splash screen to Workbench), and every so often the SATA drive will take an awfully long time to do a simple task (like about 90 seconds to snapshot 5 drive icons on Workbench yesterday).

(Mind you, I decided to go SATA because I had an IDE drive that wasn't performing too great... but that was 1 drive out of the three I've had. Of the 2 SATA drives, one is being replaced after only a week of being the boot drive, and the other isn't too impressive either)

It's the same story with the DVD drive. I have a brand spanking new LG DVD drive, and it's not a patch on my former LG DVD drive. I've lost the ability to copy commercial DVDs with PeeVOBill, and play them in mplayer, and until the recent update on CDPlayer, it couldn't play audio CDs.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 10:12:31
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

http://www.a-eontechnology.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2159

Ahh, I see you are a beta tester, now I understand way your computer crash a lot, well in that case I should thank you for beta testing alpha and beta OS components, so when its ready it does not crash on my computer.

Quote:
it off agin to fiddle inside with the SATA cables

If its because your swapping in and out hard-drives, with commercial OS and beta OS, and then maybe you should get a a drive-bays, it a lot safer then pulling in cables and damage some thing.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/PC-Accessories/StarTech/StarTech-5.25INCH-Trayless-SATA-Hot-Swap-Drive-Bay

http://ca.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/Hot-Swap-SATA-SAS-Backplane-RAID-Bays-3-Hard-Drive-Mobile-Rack~SATSASBAY3BK

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2014 at 10:18 AM.

DWolfman 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 12:00:02
#44 ]

@Deniil715 & @Hypex

I may try that again with the EHCI disabled. For now, I want to see if this will last more than 2 to 3 days. Before I shut it down a few months ago, I was having trouble getting it to last more than a day, and that was with the USB completely disabled just like now.

I did try it with the USB KVM plugged into the motherboard sockets and the USB 2 PCI card not plugged in, but it litterally hung the USB stack within about ten minutes of boot time. It didn't hang the system completely (clock was still running and disk access still blinked), but I had no way to recover since I did not have the PS/2 keyboards plugged in at the time.

Thing is, I've only got one reason to use the USB, and that's to plug the KVM in to it so I have just one mouse and keyboard again. Right now I have one set for the PC and other computers, then one set for the A1. Would like to just go with one, but I can live with this until I can find another solution.

DWolfman 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 13:07:46
#45 ]

@Deniil715

Say, could you post in here your kicklayout file? I'd like to compare what you've disabled in there related to USB with what I've experimented with so far.

DWolfman 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 13:30:44
#46 ]

As for the SATA stability, my current "test" should be interesting.

I'm actually using the SATA drive I have through an adapter plugged into the motherboard IDE ports. The adapter I am using is shown on Newegg,
here.

So far it seems pretty stable, no issues with the Western Digital 160GB Raptor drive I plugged in (10K RPM drive!!). Though I'm not sure it's any faster, definitely seems to be limited by the IDE interface, as it seems to max out at around 35 to 36 MB/s in my SCSISpeed and DiskSpeed tests so far.

If I can find my old Sii3114 card, I'll plug it in through that card and install uBoot 1.1.4 to test booting that way. Got some options here, anyway.

For now, I'm going to see how long I can get this to stay booted. When I get off work, I'll know if it's still going or not.

Deniil715 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 18:37:48
#47 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Don't disable EHCI, that's USB2.0. It should be OHCI (or possible UHCI). I don't have my XE running at the moment so can't check exactly.

DWolfman 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 19:29:41
#48 ]

@Deniil715

Well, I'm in no hurry. I'm hoping I get several days of uptime out of it, so I'm not likely to need the info just yet.

DWolfman 
Posted on 11-Aug-2014 20:49:27
#49 ]

Well, so far 48 hours and 21 minutes.

Typed this with OWB on it too.

DWolfman 
Re: Not so Cranky A1 (was "Awesome part find for my A1")
Posted on 12-Aug-2014 20:33:14
#50 ]

3 days, 4 minutes now. I think it's stable, finally. That's longer than it's lasted in quite a long time.

DWolfman 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 10:16:40
#51 ]

@Deniil715

So it was up to 3 days and 12 hours when I left for work earlier. Still going strong and with 100% load from the Distributed.net client the whole time.

So when you get a chance, let me know what lines you commented out of your Kicklayout file, then I'll change the commented lines, shut it down, add the USB card, and try it out.

Deniil715 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 12:24:07
#52 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

What did you do to make it stable now, if not commenting out some of the USB drivers?

DWolfman 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 14:46:19
#53 ]

@Deniil715

Right now I know that everything related to USB is commented out of kicklayout, not just the ohci or uhci drivers. Now that I know it is stable that way, I'll make changes and try booting with USB enabled but nothing plugged in to it.

Oh, I did notice last night that the A1-XE's onboard USB is UHCI, as I checked in Ranger and it showed the corresponding PCI device with UHCI as part of the name. Since you are using a plug in card, I'll bet you had to comment out the UHCI one.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 17:22:48
#54 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Are you a beta tester, did you build it your self?

Is the Pope Catholic? Seems you've answered your own question.

Yes I built it myself.

Quote:
I only have DVD drive in my X1000.

When I built my A1 DVD was the latest so I used that. So for my X1000 I put in dual BD drives. One read, one write. OS4 can actually read a BD disc technically. The filesystem is the problem.

Quote:
Maybe you have changed some thing that has effected the computers stability?

I added the 1800Mhz speedup in CFE but that's about it. I've always had a drive problem. I thoight it may be lack of power so I tested it without some drives. No change.

Quote:
Maybe you have damaged your sata cables, the Fractal Design cabinet can have some sharp edges

I have it in a Thermaltake Spacecraft. The only reason I have opened it up is tp fiddle with cables is because it won't boot! Apart from VGA card testing from time to time.

Quote:
It can also be the type of hard-drive you use, as I understand it AmigaOS file systems are not designed for SSD hard drives, maybe some thing to think about.

Most likely because of the blocksize which can be set to 4096 to optimise it. I don't use SSD, I have "real" HD.

SSD drives are too new, I don't trust flash memory (or whatever they use), and the size is way too small for money and what you get out of a HDD.

Quote:
That's just the thing you don't wont inside your computer, metal straps can easily damage cables.

Don't know if it's add on or comnbined but I've been told there is a SATA strap that holds the plug on. Thanks for links, informative.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 17:25:49
#55 ]
Elite Member

@daveyw

I didn't trust going from 40 wires to 4 wires in the cable would be faster. So you've found some other issues of SATA I wasn't aware of. Might be good to do IDE vs. SATA speed test in my A1.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 17:31:38
#56 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Ahh, I see you are a beta tester, now I understand way your computer crash a lot

Nice looking, Sherlock.

But I'm not talking about crashing in this case. Not even up to the OS loading! I turn it on, the firmware does it's thing, then stops at the prompt because it ca''t find any drives.

Quote:
If its because your swapping in and out hard-drives,

No, I have no need for that type of thing, they are all loaded into different partiions. THe X1000 makes it fairly easy to boot different versions of the OS. No need for Kicklayout modding or much of anything else.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 18:28:02
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

As I understand it from Wikipages, the filesystem on BlueRay used to a unique filesystem BDFS  back in 2002, but now should be using UDF same as DVD's just a newer version 2.50,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Filesystem
Try with mplayer (built in filesystem), did I send you the latest version?

I thought it may be lack of power so I tested it without some drives. No change.

Quote:
I've always had a drive problem. I thoight it may be lack of power

If its not cables or plugs, then it has be the bad quality hard drive or the PSU, there lot PSU out there don't deliver what stamped on the out side. Sorry not hardware geek, I have no hardware recommendations.

In case you wonder what type of PSU I have, its OCZ 600W power supply, works fine on my X1000, should on your to if you buy one. I power a graphic card, and 3 hard drives with it, and 1 dvdrom.

I have no PATA hard-drives, all hard-drives are SATA.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Aug-2014 at 06:32 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 19:03:31
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
I turn it on, the firmware does it's thing, then stops at the prompt because it can't find any drives.

If I type “show devices” in CFE it shows me ide0.0 and atapi0.1, but I have 2 more hard-drives connected they are not shown, I think CFE is limited to only some of SATA plugs on motherboard.

So try to move the cable to different Sata plug on the motherboard, maybe this works.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Aug-2014 16:25:48
#59 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
UDF same as DVD's just a newer version 2.50

That's right. OS4 can't understand a normal BD. But if you format a BD with ISO9660 and backup some files to it on a PC for example, OS4 can read and mount the BD. Possibility for backup. We just can't write, yet. AFAIK.

Quote:
Try with mplayer (built in filesystem), did I send you the latest version?

I don't remember. I just got a few BD discs here so can do a test.

Quote:
If its not cables or plugs, then it has be the bad quality hard drive or the PSU,

I was also thinking that. I had hoped better as I bought the case with a PSU included. Suppose by going good well known brand doesn't always mean a good PSU included.

My TT PSU seems a bit low, 500W. The cheaper one in my A1 rates itself at 550W.
I've also been testing a HD5450 which is a Slim Jim compared to my HD4890 monster. No change there. My setup is Samsung 1TB HDD, two LG BD drives, on SATA.

Quote:
I think CFE is limited to only some of SATA plugs on motherboard.

That's possible. It's programmed to boot off certain ports but ti should be able to show all drives on all ports.

Quote:
So try to move the cable to different Sata plug on the motherboard, maybe this works.

It should pick it up then. But this could mess up the boot. Since the boot HD and CD are meant to take up certain spots. As CFE can't scan for boot drives and is programmed by a rigid script for how and what to boot from.

DWolfman 
Posted on 15-Aug-2014 0:46:35
#60 ]

@Deniil715

After a little trial and error, I was reminded just how much a PITA interrupts are in PCs.

I had forgotten that the Articia and VIA chipsets carried with them "IRQ Hell" so to speak. I had to juggle the sound and USB cards around a bit to get them to work.

But, I am now booted, for more than an hour, on my A1 with the old SB128 sound card (instead of the EMU10K1 SB card it had before) and the NEC USB card.

I had to comment out the UHCI driver to get it to work, and so far it is stable. Posted this from Odyssey on the A1.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle