Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 Marcian:  10 mins ago
 saimo:  32 mins ago
 zErec:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Kronos:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 JKD:  3 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  The Quill
Register To Post

PosterThread
CritAnime 
The Quill
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 2:05:00
#1 ]
Cult Member

I started work a while back on a text adventure. My original plan was to use Amos to build a engine but started running into issues with the complexity. However I have since run into something called The Quill for the C64. Yet complexity strikes again and I have doubts about memory limitations so I was wondering if anyone knew of either a port or similar bit of publishing software for text adventures. I wan to use a 1mb 500 to try and weed out any compatibility issues.

*sorry about all the edits. I never noticed all the errors caused from trying to type on a touch screen phone.*

Last edited by CritAnime on 15-Aug-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Last edited by CritAnime on 15-Aug-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Last edited by CritAnime on 15-Aug-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Last edited by CritAnime on 15-Aug-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Last edited by CritAnime on 15-Aug-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Profile     Report this post  
QuBe 
Re: The Quill
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 4:09:01
#2 ]

@CritAnime

Very interesting project... not many would attempt a text based adventure today.

Whilst I can't advise you on something similar for the Amiga, I did play around with "The Graphic Adventure Creator" on the Commodore c64.

Wikipedia Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_Adventure_Creator

Whilst it permits you to add graphics, you could see if you could use the system for text only. It may have a better engine than The Quill. In-fact, the Wikipedia article eludes to this very fact.

Have a read and look around, it may spark further ideas - or even better, new links with more undiscovered software for the Amiga platform.

The best of luck with your project...

Q!

"i am home"

Nameless 
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 6:27:44
#3 ]

@CritAnime

T.A.C.L. and Visionary are two systems you can use for Amiga text adventures. The latter is the updated version of TACL, but it also introduces some extra bugs.

I used them ages ago for a couple of text adventures I wrote (one obscure commercial title, several shareware/freeware games). The problems I ran into were bugs and pretty big limitations. The parsers they can manage are pretty lousy compared to anything modern day, or even infocom era.

You are better off just using something like Inform.

CritAnime 
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 22:56:13
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Nameless

It completely skipped my memory abot Inform and z-machine interpreters. Are there many interpreters out there for classics and Ng (all types) Amiga systems?

If so I want to work with stuff that would be useful for all aspects of the Amiga communities.

Severin 
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 23:09:36
#5 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Have you thought of using Frotz? there's loads of 3rd party adventure games for it on the net so it shouldn't be too difficult to find instructions for writing adventures for ir.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 15-Aug-2013 23:50:45
#6 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Learn to program C, you can write simple to complex programs.
if you do it correct it will work on Amiga 500 to AmigaOne X1000, MorphOS and AmigaOS

CritAnime 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 0:46:31
#7 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@CritAnime

Learn to program C, you can write simple to complex programs.
if you do it correct it will work on Amiga 500 to AmigaOne X1000, MorphOS and AmigaOS

If I had the time I would. But we are expecting our second child and the first is teething and needs lots of attention so I don't really have time to start with C :( Hence why I need some sort of interpriter and editor to do the story :)

QuBe 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 2:31:14
#8 ]

@CritAnime

I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you going to release this adventure product commercially? Do you want to make extra money from selling it, or are you doing it just for fun?

Q!

"i am home"

CritAnime 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 2:35:45
#9 ]
Cult Member

@QuBe

No I don't mind you asking at all :)

I plan on releasing it PD. Just for fun and to see if I can get others playing it. :)

Nameless 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 3:29:23
#10 ]

@CritAnime

I know there used to be an Inform Amiga interpreter, but no idea if it works with newer Inform. There is also TADS to look at too.

I wrote one game using ALAN, but the author didn't compile the v3 interpreter for the Amiga. And v2 isn't that great. But ALAN may provide the source, if you (or anyone) wanted to try your hand at getting the interpreter ported to the Amiga. It's a pretty easy to use language.

I would suggest using one of the existing systems over creating your own from scratch though.

Last edited by Nameless on 16-Aug-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Last edited by Nameless on 16-Aug-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Last edited by Nameless on 16-Aug-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Hattig 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 9:35:36
#11 ]

@CritAnime

The Quill was one of the first text adventure creators. Soon afterwards came GAC (Graphic Adventure Creator) and Genesis. Later on still came PAW (Professional Adventure Writer; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Adventure_Writer), which was far more powerful.

I've written a text adventure in AMOS a long time ago, adapting BASIC listings adapted from Writing Your Own Text Adventure columns in Amstrad CPC magazines. It's quite rewarding as you are not limited by what the creators limit you to, but you do have to manage your own data structures and write your own parser.

Maybe you could write a PAW engine for the Amiga, and then write your adventure for that. Or you could target your adventure at the Frotz interpreter.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 10:24:52
#12 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

It completely skipped my memory abot Inform and z-machine interpreters. Are there many interpreters out there for classics and Ng (all types) Amiga systems?

AmigaFrotz works well on 68k and OS4 machines last time I checked (don't think it has been updated for years, but the source is available)

CritAnime 
Posted on 16-Aug-2013 14:20:37
#13 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Chris_Y wrote:
@CritAnime

Quote:

AmigaFrotz works well on 68k and OS4 machines last time I checked (don't think it has been updated for years, but the source is available)

I have seen AmigaFortz on Aminet. I will take a look at which version is knocking around. I will likely want to develop on a classic system just to be sure that I can cater for them.

Also I don't have a OS4 machine *cry* I really need to save up and get one. Maybe in 15 years when child number 1 and 2, which is on it's way, stops bleeding me dry lol.

Quote:

Hattig wrote:
@CritAnime

The Quill was one of the first text adventure creators. Soon afterwards came GAC (Graphic Adventure Creator) and Genesis. Later on still came PAW (Professional Adventure Writer; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Adventure_Writer), which was far more powerful.

I've written a text adventure in AMOS a long time ago, adapting BASIC listings adapted from Writing Your Own Text Adventure columns in Amstrad CPC magazines. It's quite rewarding as you are not limited by what the creators limit you to, but you do have to manage your own data structures and write your own parser.

Maybe you could write a PAW engine for the Amiga, and then write your adventure for that. Or you could target your adventure at the Frotz interpreter.

I started using AMOS but I think because I was trying to make a database driven system I was making it far more complex than I needed it to be. However I am taking a look at various systems and PAW did come up. I also found one called Hatrack II but I can't find a manual scan.

To be fair Inform seems to be winning at the mo.

CritAnime 
Posted on 19-Aug-2013 14:33:09
#14 ]
Cult Member

Just to let people know I have had a helping hand with Arko sending me some interesting code to browse over. I have also been lookign into suggestions from people regarding languages and such and for the time been I am looking at the Inform 6 and 7 languages.

Thats not to say I am giving up on C or anything like that. In fact I have dragged out my old C books and I am going to start looking through them. I just may need a hand with knowing stuff about Amiga libraries when the time comes, though this may not be for a long while because my first son has figured out how to walk and is slowly wrecking the house. Maybe when he settles down and number two is born I may have more time lol.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle