Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 min ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  36 mins ago
 pixie:  42 mins ago
 kriz:  42 mins ago
 Karlos:  55 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Rassilon:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Ratta:  1 hr 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Wings: Remastered Edition Kickstarter project opened, possible AmigaOS port
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
olegil 
Re: Wings: Remastered Edition Kickstarter project opened, possible AmigaOS port
Posted on 9-Dec-2013 9:47:46
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

No, it still says "(we will also make the project available for porting to Linux and AmigaOS!)" in the text, but as they've updated the graphics with more text (possible irony there) the reference to Linux and Amiga disappeared from the graphical version.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Dec-2013 9:52:53
#62 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

it is not important because they will (propably) not reach 95.000

and as people have already explained... Unity is a commercial 3D engine that supports Linux but not AmigaOS. So even if they reached 95.000 and then opened the sources to programmer it would have been doubtful if it would have been of much value. Game engines are much more than just displaying 3D graphic, they also include logic parts (that would have to be programmed for a AmigaOS conversion in opposite to a platform that could use unity).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 09-Dec-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Xmas87 
Posted on 9-Dec-2013 9:58:49
#63 ]

@olegil

Ah, I see it now. Thanks.
$95000 certainly looks unlikely though...

olegil 
Posted on 9-Dec-2013 10:07:40
#64 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I know that, we had that discussion several pages ago. The question was: did the reference to opening up sources disappear, and the answer was: not really.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

amigadave 
Posted on 9-Dec-2013 19:20:41
#65 ]

I know that there will probably never be a port of the remastered Wings game for any flavor of AmigaNG systems, but I backed the Kickstarted project anyway. It would be nice if they would release the source code and all data files, and some genius Amiga programmer would take the content and adapt it to be used with some future, yet unwritten AmigaNG compatible game engine.

Just wishful thinking (which is what most Amiga and AmigaNG users live on most of the time).

Overflow 
Posted on 9-Dec-2013 19:28:00
#66 ]

In the comments section;

Quote:
Creator Cinemaware about 6 hours ago $91K reached! Secret missions + Mac version + AmigaOS/Linux port support around the corner!!!

I know its a moot point if noone wants to do the actual coding :)

Last edited by Overflow on 09-Dec-2013 at 07:29 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 0:04:25
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

It's a joke to dangle the possibility of an Amiga OS port without the team shouldering any responsibility to actually deliver anything beyond the source code! Unbelievable!

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 1:01:24
#68 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

You are right about that, just having source is no guarantee of a port. Open Video Toaster has been stagnant for years with no port in sight for OS4 and it's already Amiga code.

cinemaware 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 12:42:34
#69 ]

"Its a joke"

Sorry, but it is not a joke/hoax/fake or any other evil intention behind this! The 95k is for the MacPort. Thats it. After our first campaign we where ask why we don't make an Amiga-Port. As there is no option for Unity there, we could not do this. We said "no". Then there where questions if we would release the code for a team, if they want to port it. Okay, we put this in the 95k level.

"Hey, you make money for doing nothing ... because you release the code ... nothing more"

And here we go again! The 95k is for the Mac-Port. And then we release the code. Also we help the team with the material (Graphics, Sounds, etc), help with the release, testing etc. So, there will be work for us.

"Hey, you only wanna make money"

You got us! Really ... you got us. Yes, with a goal around of 100k(minus 10 Percent for Amazon/Kickstarter), the Rewards we have to produce and Team which works round about a year on this project ... yeah, we will live like KIngs with this money. Maybe we open a Studio on the Bahamas ... or Wuppertal.

Be serious, yes we want money so that we can produce that., if you think its arrogant to get money for your work, than we must say .. we are :/

Oh, no mind that we build up a demo for no money etc. Don´t know many other campaings which do that ;)

At least, we are very open for critics but please be fair. If you don't want to support our project its okay, but don't say thinks that are not true.

Last edited by cinemaware on 10-Dec-2013 at 12:45 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 13:02:15
#70 ]
Elite Member

@cinemaware

Thumbs up from me. Well said.

cinemaware 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 13:18:21
#71 ]

One thing, within Paypal we are only 1.5k away from the 95k stretch goal ... so yes, we believe it will happen till the campaign closes within the next 4 hours.

But also the funding is going on. We still got paypal afters the campaign, so you can add a pledge. If a goal is reached ... go to the next.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 13:30:19
#72 ]
Elite Member

@cinemaware

All what people said that you create expectations by parts of the community that are not realistic just to get more donations. You only promised that the sources will be given to interested developers but some in the community interpret that as "almost done" but that is not the case because you use a closed source 3D engine that is not supporting AmigaOS. Linux is a different case of course.

Overflow 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 14:37:03
#73 ]

@OlafS25

You cant really blame cinemaware for some individual looking at the world with rose tinted glasses.
Reading this and other forums, people take one sentance and makes it into the whole truth regarding
a subject.

As I wrote earlier in this thread; If you want to donate to Wings then you should do so based on the merits of the game itself, regardless of platform.

I suspect the majority of amiga users these days are in their late 30s+++. But when I read how gullable/unable people are to read whole paragraphs in context, I do start to wonder.

olegil 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 14:46:15
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Well, humans are probably the most intelligent species on the planet today.

But people are still stupid

cinemaware 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 15:25:53
#75 ]

That the part with "AmigaOS + Linux" missing in the graphics was only an accident. It is still in the text. The only thing we said is that we make the Code available for developers. Because we get a couple of questions for that. So if anyone can grab something about this code for his engine, or code his own version based on our assets etc, he could do this.

We thought this was a kind offer ... but right now, we don't think this was a good idea and will not repeat this for the next campaign.

Last edited by cinemaware on 10-Dec-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Valiant 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 15:46:31
#76 ]

@cinemaware

I must simply echo olegil's thanks for this great project. Please don't let the few obvious nutballs in our community spoil it for the rest of us.

Btw, I just barely got my donation in under the deadline wire...

Amiga 1000; Amiga 2000; Amiga 3000T; CD-TV; CD32;
AmigaOne-XE 800Mhz G4;Sam400ep 666Mhz;
AmigaOne X-1000 1.8Ghz PA6T-1682M

cinemaware 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 16:05:00
#77 ]

@Valiant

The other Stretch Goals can be also reached after the campaign, because you can also pledge still via paypal.

Varthall 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 17:03:56
#78 ]

@olegil
@Valiant

+1

I'd really love to see an AmigaOS port someday, even if unlikely to happen. I'm anyway happy that this time the funding has been successful, congratulations :)

Varthall

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 18:35:36
#79 ]
Elite Member

@cinemaware

Welcome to this forum.

congratulations for reaching the goal!

I have really fond memories of Cinemaware.

The first Amiga game i saw was "Defender of the crown".

When i saw the water animation effect around the England, i started drool over Amiga computer shop :P

I really hope that other games will follow this campain, ported to amiga too.

Thank you

amigadave 
Posted on 10-Dec-2013 19:27:36
#80 ]

@cinemaware

Quote:

cinemaware wrote:

That the part with "AmigaOS + Linux" missing in the graphics was only an accident. It is still in the text. The only thing we said is that we make the Code available for developers. Because we get a couple of questions for that. So if anyone can grab something about this code for his engine, or code his own version based on our assets etc, he could do this.

We thought this was a kind offer ... but right now, we don't think this was a good idea and will not repeat this for the next campaign.

I don't know who is using this "cinemaware" account here on AmigaWorld.net, but if you really are an employee, or developer for the real Cinemaware, please don't be so naive about forum messages and members to take a few negative remarks and change the course of your future projects with regard to the possibility of releasing future source code to anyone, specially the Amiga community who was such a huge part of your success in the past.

Every community has negative people within it and the Internet has created an easy outlet for all opinions to be expressed with a few key presses. The Amiga community has suffered long and hard for many years with very little content creation and a ever shrinking developer base. It is normal for some of us to voice negative remarks when expectations (no matter how unrealistic) are not met.

Just ignore the noise that is impractical to implement, and take constructive criticism if any is offered, but don't shut out a whole remaining community, just because of the actions of a few who attack you, or your company. Being in the public eye, you will always have supporters and detractors, no matter what you do.

Please release the source code and data files for this and all future Cinemaware projects, because there are still many very talented Amiga programmers in the World, who just might find a way to make an AmigaOS, MorphOS, or AROS compatible version of your games from the gift that you provide us with.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle