Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kiFla:  20 mins ago
 klx300r:  24 mins ago
 kriz:  30 mins ago
 Hammer:  31 mins ago
 Hypex:  32 mins ago
 Torque:  37 mins ago
 clint:  38 mins ago
 OlafS25:  49 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  OS/4 OpenLinux Project terminated. Black Lab Linux Project born.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
CritAnime 
Re: OS/4 OpenLinux Project terminated. Black Lab Linux Project born.
Posted on 23-Nov-2013 7:06:04
#21 ]
Cult Member

@number6

latest post on Black Labs

eliyahu you're mentioned personally in this one.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Posted on 23-Nov-2013 7:11:37
#22 ]

@CritAnime

Quote:

CritAnime wrote:
@number6

That statements make me feel that the cease and desist was a good move. They have all alphabet to choose a name. Why just OS/4???

Just to fool some amigans to choose their linux distro???

resle 
Posted on 23-Nov-2013 8:02:53
#23 ]
Cult Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

Now I can really gloat at the many who strenously defended this pathetic primadonna and lined up - jesus I will never forget that - lined up on a moderated chat to ask him questions. Here's the wakeup call

Quote:

Robert wrote:

Now, lets talk about that for a second because I know a certain group of people who when you add the two words together it makes them CRINGE.
[quote]

This is "a certain group of people" now. While it provided him with a dream of getting a thousand copies of his linux distro bought on the Amiga name and bundling of Winuae, this was a place where he came with lists of contributions he promised and bla bla bla, now he basically addresses the same people as a bunch of crybabies.

[quote]Now, in the Amigaworld forums, Eldee Stephens, eliyahu, asked a question "Why cant we be left alone to enjoy our hobby in peace?" and my response is; You are being left alone to enjoy your hobby in peace.

Gratuitous full name disclosure. Classy.

Quote:
The only reason you dont have "peace" is because you try to interject yourself into business that DOESN'T CONCERN YOU.

This is so unbelievably retarded and offensive and contradictory - on so many levels - that it doesn't require any additional comment.

Quote:
So yes, I'm going to market products under that brand and if someone doesn't like it tough. If you have a problem, call your lawyer and I will call mine and we can let them disagree and argue that's what I pay mine for. I don't worry much about anything.

Can you get any more childish than this?

Quote:
Now, where do we go from here? We continue to do business as we have been. We will continue to pump out great products

Now. Donhert. I know you're reading this as I know you read the many calls for "updates" on the things you promised with very set deadlines months ago, occasionally insulting who called you a liar or even just irrealistic. You wrote me a miserable private message and I will write you in public instead.

You're not "pumping out" any product, be it great or good or average. You put together a distro, in a way that is little more than playing with lego bricks.

You spend most of your time wrangling with logos and names, which is what teenagers do when they do some garage project but call themselves a company.

You publish your interminable ramblings in this propaganda-like, scholarizing tone full of "Now, what...." "Now, why...." and referring to yourself as We. You do it on your "company" webpage as you do it here, and many other places around the internet. Why you are in such need of all this venting, remains your business.

Your so called company of five where everyone has an executive title, needs a DONATION BUTTON to help sustaining a business model based of selling hardware at 1.75 times the standard price, on the premise of some kind of support AND a preinstalled Linux distro which bears no uniqueness.

There was a time where you could have walked away with very little shame from this clownery, but after that last post you really crossed the line. Good job!

Xmas87 
Posted on 23-Nov-2013 9:11:21
#24 ]

Dohnert / Doughnut

Most sensible people saw through this charlatan from day one. His behaviour simply reinforces that initial impression.

Hondo 
Posted on 24-Nov-2013 6:25:43
#25 ]

Great! so.now we get two new Amiga operating systems before christmas....wow. Things really are going our way

klx300r 
Posted on 24-Nov-2013 20:23:40
#26 ]
Elite Member

Ugh some harsh words from Robert there on our community. Wonder why he shows up at Asha chat irc some Sunday nights with that attitude ???
Bitter perhaps of not getting his way with the Amiga naming it appears.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

sundown 
Posted on 24-Nov-2013 23:09:35
#27 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
Wonder why he shows up at Asha chat irc some Sunday nights with that attitude ???

We did do the q&a before this crap hit the fan.

Last edited by sundown on 16-Sep-2015 at 06:47 PM.

number6 
Posted on 15-Sep-2015 20:24:19
#28 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Good thing Distrowatch doesn't rank him anymore.

Well, it does now. He's burst onto the distrowatch hit parade at #29:

Source

CritAnime 
Posted on 16-Sep-2015 10:06:31
#29 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Worth remembering that Distrowatch rankings are based on internal page views. Not on extrernal popularity. So news on the site generates internal page views which boost the ranking. How many of those translate into clicks to the actualy distribution page is only known to Black Lab owners.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

bison 
Posted on 16-Sep-2015 16:07:30
#30 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Black Lab Linux appears to be Ubuntu LTS + wallpaper, so it's not clear why many people would choose it over Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

It could be more about the community than the software itself, assuming that there is a community. Or it could be just a resume builder for the creator, which is often an effective way to get a better job.

Anyway, I'm wary of large dogs, so my initial impression is "I don't want to use this."

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 16-Sep-2015 21:38:17
#31 ]

@bison

Linux Mint is Ubuntu + wallpaper, so Im failing to see your point here. Besides just being deemed an "Ubuntu + wallpaper" distro. How many kernel contributions does Mint make? absolutely NONE. We have. How much has Linux Mint donated financially to open source projects? thats a little unknown but its fair to say not much but we have contributed financially and hardware wise to Debian, XFCE, BSD, MATE Desktop and a few others. Unlike some distributions AND IM NOT SAYING LINUX MINT, but there are some out there who take in hundreds of dollars from the community and who only contribute to beer, pizza, cigarettes and hookers or who purposely go out there violate Apples trademarks "settle" with them and disappear without a trace. We have been working on this since 2004, started out as Gentoo based, moved to Ubuntu because of the ease of use and LTS model and we also have a Fedora/CentOS release for customers who use the RPM package manager and we have Silver Lab which is a BSD based system for customers who have used BSD for years and dont want to move to Linux and who want the "Pure" UNIX environment. And we are VERY open about where every community dime goes. If someone asks we give them a complete rundown on donation accounting. If you are on the commercial side and are a client/investor we are very open with our earnings and client list which is more extensive than whats on the website as some customers dont wish to be listed.

As for the OS/4 trademark. Let me make it really clear, we were NEVER, NEVER EVER, contacted by Amiga Inc. or Hyperion with ANY kind of cease and desist order. We actually went to Amiga Inc. we were in fact offered a license to use the Amiga name and Amiga branding and while the short term investment and earnings would probably have made up for the initial costs to get involved, the long term investment we didnt see a point. CommodoreUSA had a ton of buzz when it first started and excitement was rampant upon their initial offering but as time went on and Commodore fans just saw it as a PC with branded Linux the Commodore fans started feeling let down and disappointed and I didn't want to go through all that again. I'm pretty much a guy who does what the heck I want and I don't care what people say about me. If I had seen a good long term strategy and a worthwhile reason to use the Amiga name and branding, I would have done it. But not seeing a long term strategy that would have made a difference, looking at the CommodoreUSA phenomenon and hearing from many of you in the community and of the "original" Amiga people (Also people I know in ACER who worked with McEwen at Gateway told me NOT to do business with him because he was an "asstard" and a "fraud" and a few other expletives) I just didnt see a good enough reason to do it. But the OS/4 trademark came into being an issue because we went to a company who had it trademarked 30 years ago. They said "Go ahead, we dont care" but companies that they had license agreements with in terms of development of that product did have issues and so we were forced to change the name. Which was fine with us, its actually worked out better for us.

As for the Amiga community I dont have an issue with any of you or any of the higher echelon of the community, Eldee, Solie, Trevor and none of them. Actually since I joined the community I have become a huge fan of MorphOS and I would probably be a big fan of AmigaOS 4.1 FE if I can get it to install and run properly on my 460 but I keep having strange quirks with it, but nonetheless, for a community this small and the lack of professional system developers it is what it is.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 16-Sep-2015 21:55:55
#32 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Linux mint is overrated ... Well Ubuntu as well...

broadblues 
Posted on 16-Sep-2015 22:00:30
#33 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@phoenixkonsole

Unbuntu? Isn't that Debian with wallpaper?

bison 
Posted on 16-Sep-2015 23:01:51
#34 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Linux Mint is Ubuntu + wallpaper, so Im failing to see your point here.

Well there's Cinnamon for a start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/mint-17-the-perfect-place-for-linux-ers-to-wait-out-ubuntu-uncertainty/

Quote:
As for the OS/4 trademark. Let me make it really clear, we were NEVER, NEVER EVER, contacted by Amiga Inc. or Hyperion with ANY kind of cease and desist order.

I didn't even mention this, so I don't know why you're going off on a tangent here.

Last edited by bison on 16-Sep-2015 at 11:07 PM.

jorit2 
Posted on 16-Sep-2015 23:46:00
#35 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

RobertJDohnert wrote:
@bison

... but there are some out there who take in hundreds of dollars from the community and who only contribute to beer, pizza, cigarettes and hookers ...

A not so subtle reference to the sig of a well respected member of this community ?

Evert

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Sep-2015 0:31:19
#36 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

What quirks are you having with your Sam460 and AmigaOS 4.1 FE. ?
Newer Sam460's need a fan on the CPU or very good cooling in the case.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 17-Sep-2015 4:45:13
#37 ]

@RobertJDohnert,

When this project first started I was hoping for an easy distro to load into an Amiga NG machine without jumping thru hoops. This now looks not to be and now just a mess!

Clean up your act and make it happen and you may make some friends.

Chris

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 17-Sep-2015 6:04:35
#38 ]

@broadblues
Yep : )

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle