Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 secs ago
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  30 mins ago
 pixie:  39 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  44 mins ago
 K-L:  47 mins ago
 amigakit:  49 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Amigas future
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Everblue 
Re: Amigas future
Posted on 26-Sep-2014 21:05:56
#101 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Hmmm ok, I understand. And I think you also are implying directly or otherwise that Amiga is pretty much dead. Dead in the sense of that nothing new is ever going to come from it, not that no one will be able to enjoy whats been don so far.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 26-Sep-2014 21:40:12
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

yes. because what new should we expect? all four fractions are barely trying to catch up with what was lowest standards years ago. if anyone i would even expect the aros camp most likely to come up with some unique idea, but the chance is close to nothing anyway.

all we can do is to have fun with some little projects, but implying that there is some future to support, especially financially should be strictly prohibited. as example i have donated few days ago to this bounty
http://power2people.org/projects/zune-enhancement/
just to see if it might work on my a4k under aros. but i wouldnt bet much on it.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Sep-2014 22:55:07
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

I do not think that it is dead, at least not completely

If I compare activity and progress today with 3 or 4 years ago I think the situation has overall improved. There are a lot of updates for the OS on both Aros and MorphOS, third party contributions. Something that really makes me happy is that a new version of Free Pascal is there running on 68k and a group of dedicated programmers. Even on 68k are promising projects who will hopefully become reality this year. Only on AmigaOS it seems a little more quiet around the OS, but I cannot make any judgements there.

Very propable none of our platforms will become big players in future but perhaps we can at least get to a point where we have a growing userbase and more developers. That would mean we are at least undead then

saimon69 
Posted on 26-Sep-2014 23:00:19
#104 ]

@OlafS25

I jumped the AROS bandwagon in end 2007 and can tell you that the most flourishing times were from 2009 to 2012: have been lucky enough to see and test first versions of VmWaros, see OWB coming to life and witness the Mesa, Poseidon and 68k port: in like four years AROS grown up from being the ugly ducking of the NG world up to the tech and trend setter position, so i well understand your enthusiasm :)

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Sep-2014 23:09:25
#105 ]
Elite Member

@saimon69

I think Aros (X86) has developed to a state where you do not need big jumps anymore, the exception could be Arix with new kernal supporting much more hardware and SMP. The rest is finetuning, adding missing components like printing support and much more. I hope that the distribution maintainers will really use Magellan because it will make Aros usable. So I think you have seen the phase of the big jumps, now it will propably more lots of little steps but nevertheless interesting .

broadblues 
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 1:38:14
#106 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@OlafS25

Quote:

Only on AmigaOS it seems a little more quiet around the OS, but I cannot make any judgements there.

Right, because there haven't been any updates provided via amiupdate at all have there? Oh wait look http://update.amigaos.net/ 88 components automatically update since update6 some multiple times.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 1:57:17
#107 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues
Quote:

Right, because there haven't been any updates provided via amiupdate at all have there? Oh wait look http://update.amigaos.net/ 88 components automatically update since update6 some multiple times.

its very difficult to judge from that list, if these are substantial updates or minor fixes. if following aros commits histoty you would probably have collected similar amount of updated components within few weeks, it doesnt though tell much about overall progress. what is rather telling that no essential features that have been so much advertised, many since several years, have been released to public. many were praised as working, some were outlined in theory, but so far they have not reached the users. do i really need to name examples? like a shell with a history scroller? know what? i even have it on 68k. on the other hand i am really missing an example of a single one of these advertised features that actually have been implemented, and im not talking of users contributions like qt or jit uae.

Last edited by wawa on 27-Sep-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 2:41:20
#108 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@broadblues
Quote:

its very difficult to judge from that list, if these are substantial updates or minor fixes. if following aros commits histoty you would probably have collected similar amount of updated components within few weeks, it doesnt though tell much about overall progress.

Please note, that list shows 88 updated components, and NOT 88 updates. Each item on that list has been updated at least once, but may have been updated many times.

Hans

wawa 
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 7:24:33
#109 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
Please note, that list shows 88 updated components, and NOT 88 updates. Each item on that list has been updated at least once, but may have been updated many times.

sure. thats how i understood it. therefore i say its difficult to judge.

Anonymous 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 5:30:31
# ]

@pavlor

Yes, agree with youQuote:

pavlor wrote:
@DC_Edge

You can use AmigaOS4 on PC/x86 right now... in WinUAE.

Report this post  
phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 6:33:13
#111 ]

@OlafS25
I will offer dopus as optional package for my distros because I would like to see a updated wanderer and like to support kalamatee. Also I am going the tablet and mobile road (ares 3 should be a phone) so a wanderer with plugin-support would fit better to the amigaNX-UI.
As like saimon I see aros in the trend-setter position. For my cup of tea a mix of Arix and aeros ideology would be the best. At least midterm, until Arix has a proper x-server.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 9:44:43
#112 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

I still do not understand why you support Kalamatee by not using what is available. And Wanderer is not better suited for tablets and phone than magellan, just more limited. But it is your decision (and of course you avoid a lot of configuration work you would have to invest in magellan). Without configuration magellan is indeed just a better file manager.

terminills 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 12:06:03
#113 ]
AROS Core Developer

@OlafS25

Not everyone likes magellan. I personally prefer Wanderer and would rather see it improved vs Using magellan.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 12:22:02
#114 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Reason? Most people who dislike Magellan either never used it anyway or just installed it but then they have no real clue either because without configuration you only use 1% of what you can do with it.

And you can still improve wanderer, why is kalamtee hindered to improve it because distribution maintainers use another desktop replacement now? That is what I do not understand. The goal for aros should be best user experience and offering alternatives. I will look if it is possible to support Scalos too in future (if it works) then people can decide what they prefer. And if there is Wanderer updated I would support it too. For now Wanderer in its current state is not a real choice.

terminills 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 12:49:10
#115 ]
AROS Core Developer

@OlafS25

Actually, to me Magellan seems outdated and TBH it doesn't matter how powerful it is. We all know it is very powerful. However it's still dated looking.

Kalamatee isn't hindered from working on Wanderer because distro maintainers choose to use Magellan. However when distro maintainers don't support his work why should he bother? It's a catch 22 TBH. For me I choose to support the face of Aros vs something that is alien.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

wawa 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 13:13:53
#116 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

i have an instruction for you how to get scalos to work easy on your very site

http://www.amigaforum.de/index.php?topic=93.15

post 35

@terminnils

i donated to the bounty afair, the wanderer improvement is still not in sight. i actually am still using wanderer much because i test pure builds. but why must i handicap myself as a user. it would be easy to make wanderer about to functional as is, but apparently there is feature creap in the game and we may well be waiting forever, as well as for arix if i may say.

in the meantime i dont understand what looks outdated in magellan in comparison to wanderer, and why it is wrong because it is not aros own development? it should be put into contribs imho, where scalos is. gallium is not aros development as well. poseidon is not aros development. zune is a mui alternative that is supposed to follow in its steps. a lost of subsystems are not aros exclusive. are you telling people should resign on these subsystems because they are not purely developed in aros context?

Last edited by wawa on 17-Dec-2014 at 01:15 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 13:28:48
#117 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

the themeing of Aros work

menu of aros work

the rest is configurable. What looks outdated on Magellan. Magellan is shortkeys and configured filetypes, you can do almost anything on it. You have integrated FTP. And much much more.

What looks outdated on it?

And distribution maintainers can donate if they want to show support. Distribution maintainers are responsible to offer the best solution to users and not avoiding something because of certain developers. That sounds rather strange to me. At least it is not how world works and we here are not on another planet. And alien? Almost all newer components in aros are from other platforms (expecially linux).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Dec-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Dec-2014 at 01:31 PM.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 15:19:01
#118 ]
Cult Member

I prefer wanderer over dopus. It's nicer and behaves more intuitively than dopus.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 17:05:13
#119 ]

@_ThEcRoW

same here. whatever is closest to workbench, that's the one i'll use. wanderer isn't too bad. i'd like to see support for contextual menus like there is in the AOS4 workbench, but i still prefer wanderer to dopus5.

-- eliyahu

terminills 
Posted on 17-Dec-2014 17:39:52
#120 ]
AROS Core Developer

@wawa

No I said it is what I support. Not so sure why that is so hard to understand. Actually it's just the opposite Olaf was telling Pascal he shouldn't support Wanderer.

And as far as no update in sight goes.

http://sourceforge.net/p/dopus5allamigas/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/

Other than a few bug fixes here and there there hasn't been much work done since it was ported native to all of the platforms. See I'm a big open source fan however Directory Opus didn't interest the developers who worked on it it seems. The bounties offered to get the ports done seemed to get some some developers interested. Now it's like many other dead projects.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle