Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 59 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  28 mins ago
 kolla:  32 mins ago
 OlafS25:  36 mins ago
 nikosidis:  38 mins ago
 21stcentury:  50 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  53 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga naming discussions: allowed or not?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
cdimauro 
Amiga naming discussions: allowed or not?
Posted on 2-May-2015 7:39:19
#1 ]
Elite Member

According to the TOS I see nothing that prevents to talk about the usual "Amiga naming" questions.

Before further proceeding with such kind of discussions, I think that it should be clear to everybody, users and moderators, if this argument is allowed or not. So, if Amigaworld censors that kind of argument.

If it's not allowed, I think that it should be nice to put a clear statement about that in the TOS, so any user is aligned.

Of course, it will be interesting to have a precise of list of arguments that are censored as well here.

Profile     Report this post  
mcbone 
Re: Amiga naming discussions: allowed or not?
Posted on 2-May-2015 7:48:07
#2 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

if i read his right any one on here can talk about any to do with amiga or any other computer as you fourm about Amiga be bit odd if you can not talk or Discuss about the amiga or any other computer daft not to

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

pavlor 
Posted on 2-May-2015 8:45:20
#3 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I think only problem is "polluting" of threads by OT posts (like our discussion in Natami thread). New thread about "Amiga naming" should be fine.

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-May-2015 8:57:19
#4 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

such a thread would break all records because it would be endless

pavlor 
Posted on 2-May-2015 9:00:00
#5 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
such a thread would break all records because it would be endless

That wouldn´t be bad.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 2-May-2015 9:16:36
#6 ]

@cdimauro

Ikve often thought that an 'arguement dumping ground ' thread would be a great idea.

Not only could you redirect OT posts to the thread, thusly keeping the forums clear, but also refer people to the same argument having taken place again, and again, and again...

number6 
Posted on 2-May-2015 12:55:33
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Ikve often thought that an 'argument dumping ground ' thread would be a great idea.

Not only could you redirect OT posts to the thread, thusly keeping the forums clear, but also refer people to the same argument having taken place again, and again, and again.

We already have such a thread. In the past I have linked to it during arguments and advised people continue to discuss their personal issues there.

In EVERY case where I post this link (for 10 years) people simply stop posting in the initial thread for about an hour. No one EVER goes to the "argument" thread to post.

The reason should be obvious, since the great wisdom posted in the "argument" thread is off the front page and therefore never to be viewed by the masses.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 2-May-2015 14:12:54
#8 ]

@number6

That is unfortunate, /me consigns another potential crowd-management idea to the scrapheap.

I suppose with Amigaworld acting as a lightning rod for contentious discussion, it helps keep the dedicated sites (Amigans, Morphzone, Aros Exec) relatively free of such nonsense.

On a related note, Amiga.org seems to have settled down a lot in the last few months, although I do have the urge to beat Fol over the head whilst shouting "Moot! MOOT! As in Lute, not as in Fruit: MOOT!". [EDIT: -Fruit +Cute]
Damn his thread-locking shenanigans; I do hope Amiga.org doesn't become another Amigans in that sense, ie threads locked as a matter of course.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 04-May-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 02-May-2015 at 02:15 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 2-May-2015 14:22:21
#9 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Boot_WB

Quote:

On a related note, Amiga.org seems to have settled down a lot in the last few months, although I do have the urge to beat Fol over the head whilst shouting "Moot! MOOT! As in Lute, not as in Fruit: MOOT!".

Yeah, me too!

[edit]
Perhaps now to explain the concept of thread derailment I mention in later post we should now spin off into a 5 page discussion of your poor choice of Fruit of an example, it being phonetical completely dissimilar to mute...

or maybe not....

Last edited by broadblues on 02-May-2015 at 02:39 PM.

number6 
Posted on 2-May-2015 14:24:14
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Dunno. Follett's approach on Amiga.org:

Quote:
Think this thread has run its course.
As its a mute point now.

Source

Somewhat different than Orgin's approach on Amigans.net:

Quote:
Not bizarre, It's more in the range of "I just don't give a f...".

But it's cute that people would think that it was important enough post about ;)

NEXT!

Source

It seems to me that we always used to report on the status of other sites covering Amiga topics.

I recall a statement some time ago about "a rising tide lifts all boats" (about co-operation being part of the greater good). Obviously this is not an idea shared by all, and has never been. But considering our "teachers", this is not surprising in the slightest.

broadblues 
Posted on 2-May-2015 14:30:53
#11 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@cdimauro

Talking about amiga naming conventions is valid subject, what is not valid is derailing threads about useful subjects because someone used the term Amiga casually, and this happens all too often.

number6 
Posted on 2-May-2015 14:33:19
#12 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

True. It is quite tiring to have to remember to substitute "amigoid systems" or "amiga like systems" every time one is typing "amiga".

We DO have legal threads for that, like "who owns what?"

Source

Hmmm...in dire need of an update too.

Last edited by number6 on 02-May-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 2-May-2015 17:38:14
#13 ]

@Thread

Funny thread with misunderstanding topic issues, as for "Amiga naming conventions" is usually a discussion related with filenames obliged rules inherent in the DOS and the filesystem.

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_AmigaDOS_Working_With_AmigaDOS#Naming_Conventions

Last edited by Raffaele on 02-May-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 02-May-2015 at 05:43 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 2-May-2015 20:30:57
#14 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone: this is an Amiga forum. I expect that talking about Amiga naming is normal thing, and... it happens frequently, indeed.

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

I think only problem is "polluting" of threads by OT posts (like our discussion in Natami thread). New thread about "Amiga naming" should be fine.

That wasn't the case, because the Natami thread had several OT posts, but the moderator complained only about the Amiga naming. So, it seems that argument is not allowed here.

That's why I opened this thread: to have a clear and defined answer about what is, currently, a censorship action about this site.

cdimauro 
Posted on 2-May-2015 20:31:46
#15 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Boot_WB

Quote:
Ikve often thought that an 'argument dumping ground ' thread would be a great idea.

Not only could you redirect OT posts to the thread, thusly keeping the forums clear, but also refer people to the same argument having taken place again, and again, and again.

We already have such a thread. In the past I have linked to it during arguments and advised people continue to discuss their personal issues there.

In EVERY case where I post this link (for 10 years) people simply stop posting in the initial thread for about an hour. No one EVER goes to the "argument" thread to post.

The reason should be obvious, since the great wisdom posted in the "argument" thread is off the front page and therefore never to be viewed by the masses.

That's a very good idea, and IMO such thread should be sticked to be Always visible.

cdimauro 
Posted on 2-May-2015 20:35:35
#16 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@cdimauro

Talking about amiga naming conventions is valid subject, what is not valid is derailing threads about useful subjects because someone used the term Amiga casually, and this happens all too often.

I totally agree, and I think that having a specific thread about the argument, as number6 did, can help to solve the problem. But it has to be promoted as "sticked" to make it more visible and permanent.

It's normal that OT posts appear in a thread, and usually they bring some value (e.g.: interesting ideas, facts, arguments, etc.). But recurring stuff can be quite pedantic...

broadblues 
Posted on 2-May-2015 20:38:06
#17 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@cdimauro

Quote:

That wasn't the case, because the Natami thread had several OT posts, but the moderator complained only about the Amiga naming. So, it seems that argument is not allowed here.

That's why I opened this thread: to have a clear and defined answer about what is, currently, a censorship action about this site.

Dicussion of moderation is definetly against the T&Cs, but I think we could get away withit enough in this case to point out that you misunderstood him, he was complaining about the 'name calling' as in the absuive name calling of each other with words like 'moron' (and a few others) not the amiga name usage.

Unless it was me that misunderstood but I don't think so.

Last edited by broadblues on 02-May-2015 at 08:39 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 2-May-2015 20:40:54
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
@Thread

Funny thread with misunderstanding topic issues, as for "Amiga naming conventions" is usually a discussion related with filenames obliged rules inherent in the DOS and the filesystem.

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_AmigaDOS_Working_With_AmigaDOS#Naming_Conventions

To be more precise, my thread wasn't about such "conventions", but about asking if the argument is banned or allowed on this site.

After that it's clarified, we can use the number6's thread to talk about that argument, and IMO such argument should be split: one reporting official information, and another about the cited conventions. They are different (albeit not entirely different), and have a different value / implication.

Last edited by cdimauro on 02-May-2015 at 08:41 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 2-May-2015 20:42:26
#19 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

Dicussion of moderation is definetly against the T&Cs, but I think we could get away withit enough in this case to point out that you misunderstood him, he was complaining about the 'name calling' as in the absuive name calling of each other with words like 'moron' (and a few others) not the amiga name usage.

Unless it was me that misunderstood but I don't think so.

So, let's see if someone else can "disambiguate" what happened.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 2-May-2015 22:29:28
#20 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Boot_WB

Quote:

On a related note, Amiga.org seems to have settled down a lot in the last few months, although I do have the urge to beat Fol over the head whilst shouting "Moot! MOOT! As in Lute, not as in Fruit: MOOT!".

Yeah, me too!

Good man!

Quote:
[edit]
Perhaps now to explain the concept of thread derailment I mention in later post we should now spin off into a 5 page discussion of your poor choice of Fruit of an example, it being phonetical completely dissimilar to mute...

or maybe not....

D'oh, quite right, should have used 'cute'.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle